RC poster

big bore shocks??

i have the venom aluminum shocks and they already bent within a couple days i was wondering if the big bores were more durable and or heavy duty than the venom ones, will the big bores with stand big jumps and hard landings? thanks.

RC Champion
    From personal experience the big bores are very durable and can withstand some big jumps. I've had some on my slash for over a year and I never had problems with them. They seem to be one of the best out there for the price
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    From personal experience the big bores are very durable and can withstand some big jumps. I've had some on my slash for over a year and I never had problems with them. They seem to be one of the best out there for the price
    They are very durable for bigger jumps. They will fail and bend if you are running higher oil weights, and jumping huge. If you are an abusive basher(nothing wrong with that!) a set of 1/8 buggy shocks will handle big bad landings better. I love my big bores, and dont jump huge anymore. They are the smoothest shocks I have owned.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    They a set of 1/8 buggy shocks will handle big bad landings better.
    do you mean something like that ?

RC poster
    what oil weight do u think i should run with them?? i have a lot of aluminum parts

Traxxas big bore are extremely smooth and durable. But I personally prefer associated factory team.shocks that are for the T4 or Sc10. Now the high bores from a sc104x4 should fit with little Modding. Proline also makes excellent shocks. Shocks are one of the most important investment for your truck.
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

Pick up 45,50,55, and 60wt oil. You should be able to find what you like in that range, and maybe have enough oil for a lifetime.

If your not going crazy big on the jumps, the big bores will be great. I love mine.

I have a set I'm getting ready to put on my Slash. Hope they're as good as everyone says.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    I have big bores in both the Slash and Stampede - work flawlessly in both bashing and dirt running . On pavement stability seems improved also .

RC Qualifier
    This was one of my first upgrades and I have been using them for about 2 years and they are still going strong. I have 55 or 60 wt. (can not remember) front and back and have been very happy with it. Keep in mind they are not true big bores, the stock ones actually hold more oil but for me I could care less, they work smoother and and are more durable than stock.

RC Champion
    I use the Traxxas big bore shocks and like other people, have been pleased with how they hold up.

The most success from your shocks will come from making sure the a arms, slip shafts etc. are kept free moving, any binding in the arms with the shocks removed will greatly detune the shock setup.

It also helps to change the shock oil on a regular basis.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I simply switched from 25w to 60w oil and integy springs both front and rear, and it is a very nice upgrade, cost about 10$ for everything and about 30 minutes of work. My biggest concern is big bore shocks are very durable comparing to stock shocks but if you want a stiffer ride just change oil w and springs to integy.

RC Champion
    The problem with stock slash shocks is the plastic body which will wear with time of use, which inturn will require the use of thicker weight oil to achive the same damping required. The stock shafts can and do bend with hard bashing so upgraded shafts helps without to much expense but thoes can be bent as well.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis