Hybrid View

RC poster

Exclamation Stampede VXL Steering/Servo BellCranks Rubbing On Driveshaft And Chassis

Traxxas has admitted to the known issue of steering component design problems on the Stampede VXL. Both bellcranks, the one on the Servo Saver rubs and melts on the driveshaft, wears the driveshaft, and the bellcrank on the servo shaft rubs and rides upon to the chassis, placing dangerous force on the plastic splined servo motor shaft and gears. This happens when the steering endpoints are set to default on the radio. The only current fix for this issue is to carefully set the endpoints, as to shorten the travel and stop the parts from contacting each other causing premature wear and eventual failure.
    The Stamped is advertised as "ready to run" out of the box...but this is NOT the case. So...check your driveshaft for a wear line and bellcranks (part #6845 X 2) for melting and distortion. Call Customer Support and ask "nicely" for the belcranks, driveshaft and servo gears as warranty replacement parts. There is NO current fix to allow running without parts damage, in default steering endpoint setting mode.
    Fair Warning: Set the Steering Endpoints to stop parts making contact with driveshaft and on the chassis. Too bad this is the case...$400.00 + is quite a chunk of change to lay down for a great truck....with known serious issues in the steering design.
    There is NO WAY to adjust the steering linkage (trust me), eliminating the parts contact and resulting wear, to allow default steering travel setting. I am going to modify the chassis, removing some material with a dremel tool and add a spacer under the servo bellcrank, as well as relieve some material on the servo saver bellcrank. What a pain!! Traxxas should get a permenet fix for this known issue ASAP and send out the parts to ALL registered owners of this model.
    Last edited by Flynfaster; 04-30-2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

RC Qualifier
    No serious issues here. Just worked on my steering all night and became intimately familiar with the bellcrank area. Mine doesn't touch the drive shaft and just barely makes contact with the chassis on the servo side.

Not sure if this helps, but when putting on my servo horn, it would not align in the middle. I moved it one tooth closer to the chassis and not the driveshaft. Then I lengthened the drag link one or two threads per side. Only needed minimal trim to the Left to get it to track straight without the rubbing you are mentioning.

Good luck

RC poster

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    Just worked on my steering all night
    Yea...not all that serious. But... I am now rested up from that "all nighter" on the steering adjustments. I started by removing the Servo Bell Crank #6845 and centered the Servo Shaft to absolute neutral. Then tried every possible Bell Crank position on the Servo Shaft Splines, as well as shortening and lengthening the Steering Linkage. I lost quite a bit of effective turning range there. Ended up with a somewhat suitable ultra-fine adjustment, to where a piece of paper would slide just between the Bulk Head Arms #6830, and the Steering Linkage #6846 Rod Ends.
    The only unpleasant result is that the Steering Sub-Trim is quite a ways off balance, in other words the Steering Sub-Trim is either almost straight forward or way to one side. Also I had to re-adjust the Toe In back to 2* degrees. No big deal...I am a German, and that translates into never ending search for perfection.
    In the end... The truck drives just fine, with the Steering End Points set to reduced travel. This eliminated the wear on the Center Drive Line, Bell Cranks and Steering Servo Shaft. Traxxas offered SUPERB Customer Support and sent me all new parts that were involved with the wear issues.

Without any doubt, Traxxas is the very best RC Company on the market. The Stampede VXL #6708 is a super nice truck and I LOVE IT!

RC Enthusiast
    Mine hits but I never knew what to do with it thanks

RC Qualifier
    i let mine rub. eventually it wore out a groove and it didn't rub anymore.

RC Enthusiast
    I tried to call Traxxas and they said they can't just send the parts out. They would need me to send my car in so they can inspect it.

RC poster

Thumbs down No Replacement Parts.... Without Shipping The Truck Back?

Quote Originally Posted by SmatPede4x4 View Post
    I tried to call Traxxas and they said they can't just send the parts out. They would need me to send my car in so they can inspect it.
    Possibly when you called Traxxas, the Tech Specalist was either mis-informed or... had recently been informed that no more steering parts for the #6708 would be sent out without inspection. In their defense, maybe they want to see for themselves, just how prevalent and serious the rubbing issue is.
    One of the great Tech Specs I talked with told me " There is NO way to adjust the steering Bell Crank to not rub on the the driveline or the Servo Bell Crank on the chassis....I know...I tried everything. You HAVE TO SET THE STEERING END POINTS TO STOP THE WEAR. I will send you the parts". (Steering Linkage, Servo Saver/Servo Bell Cranks, Aluminum Driveshaft and even the plastic Servo Gear Set). The stock parts are still functioning, but I wanted back-up when they finally do fail.
    This rubbing of steering parts is a "known" issue with the #6708 4X4 Pede. Check other forums and see. The rubbing and wear should not be happening and is a small black eye on Traxxas. I do hope soon, they will find a relativley easy and permenent fix for this minor steering issue and send out the parts under warranty. I don't particularly enjoy having to re-set the steering end points after re-setting the radio, or doing modifications to allow "as is" performance on a brand new truck. I know this isn't a terribly serious issue....but....
    Why should we as consumers throw down over $400.00 for an RC truck that has to be modified to run stock? Worse yet, possibly go through the hassle and cost of shipping the item back to the dealer for inspection?
    Traxxas has been very good to me on sending parts without shipping the truck to them. Looks like this thread may have contributed to the begining of a real $$$ headache $$$ for Traxxas.
    Still the #6708 is a fine RC Smasher and I am happy with the overall performance and especialy the customer service I have recieved. I think probably just set the end points, run it and chill.
    Humm... a recall on an RC Truck??

RC Qualifier
    If I have time I will post pics or video so you can see it is fixable with minor adjustment and no EPA.

RC poster
    Just got my p4de yesterday, noticed after its maiden voyage it too has some rub marks on the shaft. When the truck is centered it does not push much on the driveshaft while turning, but it is noticeable looking at the underside of the truck.

Should I worry about it? It does not seem noticeable while driving the truck, even while doing clockwise circles.
    Right now I do not feel like tearing my brand new pede' apart

TLDR: If I am careful driving the truck and don't hold right hand, tight turns at high speed will it be okay for now?

RC Qualifier
    My pede is 9 months old. I run 1 or 2 packs through it every day. Yes, it rubs, but I'm still running the original driveshaft and servo but have spares in my toolbox for the day they give out. I run mostly on a short (65 ft. long oval) track on dirt in my yard, so it does a lot of lock to lock turning most of the time. I thought of reprogramming the end stops, but I need the tight turning radius along with speed to evade my Doberman who races it every night on the track. As he grew and muscled up, I had to go from NiMh to 2s Lipo, and now 3S. He's one fast Pincer! I did swap the drive shaft end to end so that not all the wear is on one end. I did have a big crash that took out the front bulkhead. I got a new one off ebay that had new bell cranks and servo arm with it, so I'm running that now and saved the original for spare parts.
    Yeah, it's a problem but I don't lose any sleep over it. All in all, it's an awesome truck. It would be nice if Traxxas did come up with a fix for it and send it to all owners as a free retrofit.

RC Qualifier
    Don't worry about the rubbing.

RC poster
    While waiting for batteries to charge I checked the manual for servo end point adjustment, set the right about 2%? Less and now no rubbing on the driveshaft. Easy enough fix for now

RC Qualifier
    Mine got some wearmarks on it to a point and they never got worse after a certain point. I beat the crap out of this thing all the time. 8 people in my immediate area have bought one of these just because of mine. Yes it is a 400 dollar TOY. It gets abused. Black eye for Traxxas. Lol. Please. How may have been made and sold. I can't even imagine. To each their own and that's the beauty of it. Some things aren't worth getting your shorts in a knot about some people in this life have real things to worry about. Improving on existing flaws or upgrading is what 75% or more are here to do anyway.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Competitor
    Yep, my Pede has the rubbing problem as well. I set the servo end points before finding this thread, but I don't like the reduced turning ability.
    I was going to see if I could extend the rods and make adjustments to keep from rubbing and get my stock steering back, but after reading this thread I'm not sure.

This does look like a design issue.

RC Qualifier
    Here ya go: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-on-Driveshaft

Quote Originally Posted by holdnickso View Post
    Yep, my Pede has the rubbing problem as well. I set the servo end points before finding this thread, but I don't like the reduced turning ability.
    I was going to see if I could extend the rods and make adjustments to keep from rubbing and get my stock steering back, but after reading this thread I'm not sure.

This does look like a design issue.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Slaughter, I was planning on doing the same thing and sit there and mess with it till I got it....... This will help.

RC poster

Cool Upgrades/Mods/Ice Tires/Rubbing...

Hey Bashers...it has been awhile since I ran my Stampede. Got it out while selling fireworks on New Years Day...-5*below zero and lots of huge snow piles with ice and tried to bash in the snow...no go with the stock tires. Looks like I am gonna buy another set of tires and wheels, insert HEAVY UPHOLSTERY TACKS inside and through the new skins. Super glue & baking soda each tack (about a dozen spaced evenly for balance) and then ROCK AND ROLL!!
    Also added a set of 4 LED lights on the front and lowered the body way down with chrome cap nuts, tossed the clips and used Heavy Duty Velcro as a secure hold down on the body/chassis sides. Had to do a small cut out on the front of the body to accomidate the the light bar. Lights hook up to the cooling fan clip easily. Looks really cool with the lights at night.
    Still have the rubbing issues with the steering and that ****es me off...but..I am coping and still have spare parts when they fail...and they will. Can't believe after all this time..we still have no permenent retro-parts fix from Traxxas for this design flaw. Hummm.... wonder if the new model Pede http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Stam...p/tra6708l.htm has the same steering issues?? Soon to post some sweet picks of the lowered "FrankenPede" and new "nasty blood drawing" ice tires and flood lights.

Flyinfaster
    Last edited by Flynfaster; 01-08-2013 at 06:42 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yah, wish they would provide a fix, but it seems that some have it worse than others. I fixed mine rubbing with the drive shaft carbon fiber tube and end point adjustments. Did not really loose that much steering travel.

What is the baking soda for ?
    Also, what light kit did you go with ..... I am wanting one that fits inside the stock front bumper and shines over the extra RPM bumper.

RC poster

Cool

Also, what light kit did you go with ..... I am wanting one that fits inside the stock front bumper and shines over the extra RPM bumper.
    The baking soda is a catalyst for Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) and causes instant setting, acting as a binder and highly increased strength as well. I went with the Chrome 4 LED Light Kit #6784. It mounts inside of the stock bumper...but could be modified. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...e-Stampede-4x4
    I guess I can live with the rubbing with full steering travel. Lots of material has been ground off of the bellcranks so far. I think eventually the wear stops and there is some clearance between the bellcranks and the driveshaft. I suppose one could simply grind down the bellcranks with a dremel to provide clearance and save the driveshaft from "The Dreaded Wear Line". I have plenty of spare replacement parts Traxxas sent to me, in the case something eventualy fails in a crash. Definetly curious if the new TRA6708L has the same steering issues. It is an awesome truck and I love mine! Traxxas should get on this and come up with a permenet retrofit fix.

Flyinfaster
    Last edited by Flynfaster; 01-08-2013 at 11:32 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info. Just a thought... What if you installed a dogbone drive shaft in place of the stock one. That should give you more clearance. I have a dogbone shaft, but have not installed it yet. I could install it to see if it would help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynfaster View Post
    Definetly curious if the new TRA6708L has the same steering issues
    Flyinfaster
    I have the the new traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl (TRA6708L). There is a VERY minor rub on the left servo bellcrank. It looks like someone took very fine sand paper (1000 grit) and lightly sanded the bellcrank. Does not rub anymore since I last saw the so-called "lightly" sanded part. I'm still very happy with my pede. I bash it whenever I can. The wife loves taking pics of it since she is an avid photographer.

Overall, I love this truck and I definitely have NO REGRETS purchasing it.

RC Enthusiast
    Ditto!Have the TRA6708L with very,very light rubbing,no big deal on mine.If you turn the wheels by hand you have to push it past it's stopping point to get it to touch the driveshaft.

RC Qualifier
    Yah, wish they would provide a fix, but it seems that some have it worse than others. I fixed mine rubbing with the drive shaft carbon fiber tube and end point adjustments. Did not really loose that much steering travel.

I got the stock light bar accessory for the 4pede. It nestles perfectly inside the stock bumper, and my RPM bumper below it sticks out further and protects it. It has survived some pretty hard frontal hits with no problem. Not only helps you see the truck at night, but actually lights the way well enough to see where you're going. On Nimh, I had to add a glitch buster as it would dim on acceleration and even go out on full acceleration. On 2S or 3S, no problem.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I've read quite a few threads on this subject and honestly I find it strange that the bellcrank/driveshaft clearance is even considered a "design flaw" or even an "issue". To say that the truck cant be considered an RTR because of the bellcrank slightly rubbing the driveshaft is IMO, a little overboard. The box that the truck comes in has a warning printed on it stating that all enclosed documentation should be read before operating the vehicle.

That enclosed documentation a.k.a. the manual, clearly states that if there is any binding in the steering, that the endpoints will need to be set to remedy it. < THAT IS THE FIX!

These are hobby grade r/c's, and they are rated by "Skill Levels" that are also clearly printed on the box panels of these RTR's. At the lowest Skill Level Rating (1) Traxxas states:

"No previous experience with radio controlled models is required. Models require a minimum of setup, maintenance, or support equipment."

So, even the easiest and most basic of the Traxxas hobby grade RTR's will still require some setup. The Stampede 4x4 VXL is rated as Skill Level 4, and for this rating Traxxas states:

"Previous experience with radio controlled models is mandatory. Models require detailed setup, and/or maintenance procedures with required support equipment. These models are capable of very high speeds and require an even higher level of skilled driving control."

Therefore, if you are purchasing a Traxxas RTR with a Skill Level of 4, it is expected of you to be able to set (or at least learn how to set) the steering endpoints if you see this kind of binding. Not to leave it this way until something wears through or breaks.

If the gear mesh was way too tight the first time you ran the vehicle, would it be fair to call it a "design flaw" if you just left it that way and caused the motor/esc to burn up? Nowadays, endpoint setting requirements are as common as adding preload spacers or setting the gear mesh. Back in the day when i built my first hobby grade kits, endpoints were only determined by the degree of servo swing, linkage and massive amounts of Macgyverism.

I'm not out to hurt anyones feelings, so please don't take my points the wrong way. I just feel that it is not fair to label the P4de platform as flawed because the user doesn't want to be hassled with endpoint setup, then expect a fix for something that wouldn't have any issue if set up correctly by the user. I have had my fair share of frustrations in the 20+ years ive been in this hobby, and i have also seen a few "design flaws" along the way, and setting the endpoints to relieve binding is not one of them.

In this hobby, ensuring there is no binding, rubbing, resistance,wear etc falls under the categories of setup, maintenance and repair which Is the users responsibility and always has been.

I think Traxxas did an excellent job with this platform. Could it be improved? Sure it can, thats what the Traxxas upgrades and aftermarket is for, but straight out of the box it's an awesome truck just the way it is. 👍just my 2

Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    <<I think Traxxas did an excellent job with this platform. Could it be improved? Sure it can, thats what the Traxxas upgrades and aftermarket is for, but straight out of the box it's an awesome truck just the way it is. ��just my 2 cents>>
    Ditto Baldy.
    My driveshaft rubs too and isn't pretty anymore after 11 months, but this is really a very low maintenance issue on a truck that runs 7-9 times a week on 2S and 3S. Haven't lost a single day due to this problem, and I run on a short (65 ft. long) track in the front yard so there's a lot ot turning.
    If I could get all the parts to last that long, I wouldn't know what to do with myself - lol!