RC Racer

Pro ball diff. Worth getting?

I'm thinking of getting one but no reviews on this product. Also it says its adjustable by turning the right tire. What does doing this do?

There are quite a few threads about the ball diff. I use them in most of my vehicles, but not the Slash. It's just too heavy and the diff doesn't hold up well. Works great in buggies and stadium trucks though.

You adjust the diff by turning the rear tire, yes. But you will need to drill a hole in the top left of the transmission and insert an allen wrench through the diff before turning the right tire.

Here's a pic of my Bandit trans. It's hard to see, but there's a hole over to of the left outdrive where the wrench gets inserted for adjusting.

RC Racer
    Id like to here more from other people if there not good for the slash thanks for mentioning that. The adjustment though what does it do? I'm thinking it makes it tighter like a limited slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry2000 View Post
    Id like to here more from other people if there not good for the slash thanks for mentioning that. The adjustment though what does it do? I'm thinking it makes it tighter like a limited slip.
    Exactly. Turning the wheel clockwise will put more tension on the diff, causing it to act like a posi. You gotta be really careful adjusting it too. It only takes the slightest turn to tighten the diff a lot. And it doesn't take much to snap the tension screw. Definitely not a durable item for bashing.

RC Racer
    Thanks. Not using it bashing doing the carpet racing thing just want a little control on how loose or tight the diff is going around corners. I used thick grease and it worked good for a few hours then got thin and went back to normal. Completely locking it just made it to uncontrollable and spins out too much even going straight.

Tighten to what the manual stats and make ⅛ adjustments at a time until you're happy with the setup
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Tighten to what the manual stats and make ⅛ adjustments at a time until you're happy with the setup
    I can't recall if Traxxas even has any starting point listed for the ball diff.

Either way, I still wouldn't bother putting it in the Slash. Been there, done that and it just doesn't work. Especially with the traction you're gonna have racing on carpet. The ball diff in my SC10 is even pushed to the limits. They work great in the T4 and B4, but it's on the ragged edge in the SC10. Still way more durable than the Traxxas diff though.

Lol Harry. If only Robinson racing would make a hardened aluminum diff gear for the pro ball diff. They make it for the t4,b4 and sc10 and can easily handle any condition and motor while being close to the same weigh as the plastic gear.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Lol Harry. If only Robinson racing would make a hardened aluminum diff gear for the pro ball diff. They make it for the t4,b4 and sc10 and can easily handle any condition and motor while being close to the same weigh as the plastic gear.
    An aluminum gear, or even if they started making the delrin gears again would be a big step in the right direction. On top of that, a tension spring would really help out with the diff itself compared to those belleville washers they use. I think that's a big reason the diff won't hold up in heavier vehicles or high traction surfaces.

I haven't tried one yet, but I seem to remember seeing a diagram of the MIP diff and it looked very similar to the pro-diff, but I believe it had a tension spring? That might be the ticket for a Slash!