RC Qualifier

New to the forum, but have learned alot here already...

Hello all,

New to the forum, but have been watching the site for a few months as I have assembled and run my Spartan. Anyhow, here is my setup so far..

Blue 5707 Spartan (V2 Spartan)
    Kintec Racing water jacket
    Benchmark RC dual pick up rudder
    Benchmark RC dual water outlet
    Benchmark RC splash Guard
    1/8'' water lines
    Quad Traxxas adjustable trim tab setup
    Octura x442 prop balanced/sharpened (but back to the stock one for now)
    2 x Gens Ace 5300 mah 3s 25C lipo packs

...So far so good on the setup after 25 runs, with the last 8-9 being lipo although I have a few concerns....

...The stock prop seems to provide cooler ESC temps (165-190F) compared to the Octura which I think was causing a high temp shutdown. When I would bring the boat back in, I was seeing around 225F, which seemed hot! The motor and Batteries are consistently around 100-115F. I am starting to wonder if the lake/pond water I drive in isnt cool enough to help disipate the heat? Its probably around 65 degree water or so.

...The stock driveline seems to be holding up well so far. I remove, dry and grease everything in between runs which might be overkill but allows me to check the condition and doesnt take much extra effort. I am thinking the next mod will be an upgraded .150 or .187 drive line. I am also having the common issue of no grease left in the driveline after the run since it all augers out, this doesnt bother me as long as the driveline stays together.

Thats it for now, when I can I will post some pics!

Jetnfast

RC Qualifier
    That is hot on the ESC, even with the stock prop, I don't run the stock electrics so I'm not sure what "normal" running temps others are seeing, but IMO the 165F temp is getting pretty close to the max temp I would want to see.

The metal prop will flex less under load so it is understandable that it might be putting a bit of extra load on the electrics.

Your battery temps are OK. How are your motor temps?

Couple suggestions.

1. I don't think your water temp is an issue. Sure colder water will help cool things off a bit more/better but in order for the ESC to get that hot it has to be creating high temps in the circuitry. So I would suggest there is either something wrong with ESC, or, something is causing excess strain on it.

2. Check your strut angle, it should be at neutral or very slightly positive (up). Negative trim angle could create extra load by putting more prop in the water, and by making the hull run wetter.

3. Where are you positioning your batteries? Further forward will cause the hull to run wet, which increases drag, and will increase load on your system. The Spartan runs a bit more stable with the batteries forward, but, moving them toward the rear will lift the bow and run the hull drier which should help reduce loading on the components. It is a matter of experimenting to find the right balance between stability and running loose.

You seem to be well researched on the boat, so maybe you have already tried these things, If not, experiment a bit and see what affect it has on your temps.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 04-30-2012 at 07:58 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hog - good points to ponder...

I have the batteries all the way forward, which like you said is probably causing it to run wetter. I also have about 1-2 mm down on the trim tabs, which like you said it probably causing it to run wetter. I have some batteries charged, and will try to take out some of the trim and move the batteries to the mid range. At the current settings its quite stable at Wide open throttle (WOT), but like you said its probably running too wet! Trial and error I guess, which is all part of the fun!

RC Qualifier
    are you going to post vids, soon?
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Qualifier
    Ah...no vids yet, haven't had a chance to take any, but I do have pics! I am not sure why I can't post attachments in this forum yet, but when I do, I will upload some.

....As for the run last night...It ran much more unstable (chine walk and bouncy) than it did with the batteries foward and about 1mm down trim. Of course that is too be expected. Surprisingly, the ESC was still hot with it running less wet! The ESC measured at 195F after a 4 minute run. My run was also cut short due to a cracked plastic prop. From what I can tell it looks like it cracked from fatigue (25 runs on it). I thought my drive line migh have seized, but I am pretty sure it was sluggish at WOT due to the prop.

Also, I tried to fabricate a new brass drive tube using K&S 1/4'' tubing. It looked like I got it formed exactly like the stock one (which is showing some discoloration from heat). Problem is, I am unable to get it to fit snuggly into the rubber grommet near the exit of the transom. It measures the exact same outside diameter as the stock one, but yet it wont fit! I used my calipers so I no its the exact same. Any tips?

RC Qualifier
    Not sure why you would have issue with the new stuffing tube, I make all my new ones out of K&s 1/4" and they fit fine.

Is it aligning properly with the hole?

hog

PS if you are seeing heat discoloration chances are your drive cable is close to failing and that may be contributing to your heat issues.
    Last edited by hog; 05-02-2012 at 07:47 AM.

RC Champion
    jetnfast As far as heat issues go.... How much water do you see comming out of the water outlets? Does the water spurt/stream out? You should see a good 6 to 9 inch stream of water leaving the water outlets at 45 + mph, and the stream of water should be almost equal leaving the outlets.

The water should not spurt/pulse from the water outlets.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I definitely see a steady stream, at 45 mph it looks kinda like the rooster tail out of the back of the boat. I alway do a run near the shore to check the flow, and it still heats up. I guess I will continue to tweak and troubleshoot....