RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Flying with RC Lipos, official answer

So I'm going on vacation tomorrow and am taking some of my lipo packs with me. The vehicles are already down there. They went with my parents in the trailer. But I needed the packs to run at home before I left.
    Im also traveling with my daughter for the first time and was unsure of any regulations regarding strollers and food etc. So while I was checking on that I also stumbled across the following information:

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_main.html
    http://safetravel.dot.gov/definition...er_lithium_ion

There are a number of links and linkable definitions on that page that will take you to other pages and explain further the details. However, what I learned is this.

-Batteries installed IN a device are acceptable under any circumstance.
    -Batteries under 100 watt/hour is considered a "small" battery and is un-restricted. You can carry as many as you like but they MUST be carried in your carry on, NOT in your checked baggage.
    -Batteries betwee 100 and 300 watt/hours are considered "larger" batteries and you can only take the one in the device and 2 spares.

The math to find out how many watt/hours your packs have is listed RIGHT on the official government web pages. It specifies that this rating applies to Lithium Polymer packs as well and even states "rc toys" as a use for the batteries.

The equation is MAH/1000Xvoltage = Watt/Hours

Based on this math my 5400mah 2S lipos (for argument sake they will be listed as 7.4 volts as that is what a 2cell LIPO pack is described as) are only 39.96 watt/hours. They fall UNDER the 100watt/hour limit for a "smaller" battery and therefore I can pack as many as I want IN my carry on.

I thought this was interesting as I've read a number of threads here in the ally asking about traveling with Lipos. The websites listed above explain it all in detail and make it pretty clear, traveling with Lipo packs under 100watt hours is completely acceptable.

Just for interest sake, I tried to figure out what lipo pack would be OVER 100watt/hours.

SPC 8200mah 3S pack is only 91 watt/hours
    5000mah 4S pack is only 74 watt/hours
    5000mah 6S pack is 111 watt hours and would be considered "larger" and therefore you could only travel with 2 spares.

I don't own any batteries that would be considered "larger"...

Thought this was interesting.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    very cool, good to know!

where are you flying to?
    fix, run, break, repeat

Myrtle Beach. My parents take their 5th wheel toy hauler down there and leave it for about 6 weeks. They stay for 2, we go down for 2 and they come home, then they go back for ANOTHER 2 weeks and drive it home. Its a sweet deal really.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Kewl Pave. Hope ya have a good time down here in the states. It's a pitty you are way off course from my neck of the woods. Its definitely nice over there. Takes some pics and vids while you are hanging loose. I know you will anyways.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Well, I'm back from my trip and can report on my experience. On the way down I took only my 4 SPC 5400mah 2S lipos in my carry on and no one even stopped to ask about them. They scanned my back pack and i was on my way.

On the way back I had 8 2S lipos (I had 4 more SPC delivered while I was there) and I did get pulled aside for further inspection. I had them in a plastic case, not just loose in my bag. The guy who did the "tear down" of my stuff was super cool... he said he knows theres nothing wrong with bringing them on the plane, he just wanted to inspect them because there were so many. He said next time, keep them in a separate case (like I had done) but take the case out and put it on the scanner belt separately. That way they only need to check that one item and to my whole bag. Once he had inspected the packs, rubbed them down to test for explosives and all the other usual checks we where on our way.

In this instance, we had other factors effecting this tear down. My wife had some milk for our daughter and some other food items they wanted to see. The guy basically said if it was just the batteries he probably would had just let it go but because we had other stuff he needed to see it all. Overall though, NO major drama carrying 8 batteries on the plane.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Overall though, NO major drama carrying 8 batteries on the plane.
    Lol! That's awesome... It must have looked like a bomb or something weird in the scanner. Myrtle Beach is great! My close family lives in CA, but all our relatives are in NC and SC, so I vacation on the East coast all the time. My favorite place is Ocracoke Island, NC.

RC Qualifier
    This is good to hear. I will be spending the next summer in the Dominican Republic teaching entomology. As much as I'd love to take my e-revo...its simply not practical (BIG and heavy!) I'll be taking my quadcopter with at least a dozen lipos instead. (to shoot aerial video)
    Last edited by mamba max1; 05-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    BL E-Revo-After 14months, its done!*
    (yeah right)

RC Racer
    I flew with my Summit and two 5000 2s lipos with no issues. All they did was search my carry-on bag going through security.
    Slash, Ken Block Fiesta
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC poster
    Wow, flying with big summit? I guess you haven't had to pay for extra luggage?