RC Enthusiast

Question EVX-2 & Battery question/issue?

Hi,

New to this forum! The issue/question is mainly related to the EVX-2, but could not find a sub-forum for the EVX-2 so the post is here and maybe not the right place.

We just got our first Traxxas Car - the Summit! Just an awesome car/truck!

We had other cars from another company, but the Summit is our first BIG truck )

We unpacked and had a few runs on the living room floor ) as we HAD to try out the "beast"!
    Truly an amazing RC...

To get longer driving time when out we got together with the Summit 2 extra NiMH batteries as we did not know if the EVX-2 would be in the new version with low voltage detection for LiPos. Which it actually is!

The extra set of NiMHs is 8.4V / 5000NiMH

We charged the extra batteries on the charge we already had that can do NiMH and LiPo.

Today when we wanted to try out our new "beast" we used the extra batteries, but to our surprise when we pressed the button on the EVX-2 the servos and lights came on, but nothing happened when we pressed the trottle. We then saw the light on the EVX-2 flashing red (slowly) and despite pressing the button for a long time it kept flashing.

We have not had the time prior to this posting to re-charge the two stock batteries, but:

1) Where can we find information on the "error" codes conditions of the EVX-2?
    2) Any two same type of NiMH batteries should or can work with the EVX-2?

Your help is appreciated as we really want to try out our new car...

Thanks Fam. Hansen

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I am not sure if there even is an error code sheet for the EVX2... I searched the manual without avail.
    BUT, my 16th Revo says slow red means over voltage... which probably means that your ESC is in LiPo mode and since NiMh have a higher starting voltage than LiPo, it throws this code.

Holding the power button from "off" for 10 seconds after it is powered up should switch you to NiMh mode.

As long as they are under the voltage rating, you can use any NiMh packs you wish. Just keep in mind that voltage is doubled due to the EVX2 using the batteries in series.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Hey sorry to thread jack but since this is about the evx-2 and lipos i thought id post my question here.

I just baught a used summit and will be using a pair of SPC 8200mah 2s lipos, i will be running and LVA on the BEC side and was wondering if i would need to use anything else? ive seen people using an external Castle bec is that necessary? Will i need anything else besides an LVA?

Thanks
    RX8 Powered E-revo
    E-Slayer

No, only a LVA is needed.

To the OP:
    The hold down time might be 30 seconds...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by afol2524 View Post
    Hey sorry to thread jack but since this is about the evx-2 and lipos i thought id post my question here.

I just baught a used summit and will be using a pair of SPC 8200mah 2s lipos, i will be running and LVA on the BEC side and was wondering if i would need to use anything else? ive seen people using an external Castle bec is that necessary? Will i need anything else besides an LVA?

Thanks
    No need for a Castle BEC unless you're running a hi-voltage servo and want max speed/power for it.
    This is a signature.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi!

OK, I recharged both the 2 stock batteries and the 2 extra batteries. Did a 2 cycle recharge and re-charge...

Stock shows a voltage of 9.6 and the extra shows a voltage of 9.8, when either is connected after the on/off button on the EVX-2 is pressed the lights and servos comes on, right after the LED starts to flash red/green with about a secs interval.

Pressing the on/off button for 10, 30 and 60 seconds make no difference. This with or without the TQi on or off.

Ideas? Suggestions? Please I hope I must not return the Summit as we just vent overseas...

Steen

RC Champion
    Check out the support site on the Traxxas main page. In there, there is a section for the ESC. There is a right up about how to turn on the LVD for the new EVX-2's. I also read before that some of the new EVX-2's were being shipped with the LVD already on and this seems to be causing some issues when running NiMH's. I would assume that turning off the LVD would be the same button sequence.

RC Qualifier
    i think it is a reverse polarity signal
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi M n M,

The Summit came with 2 MiMH's and we could drive a bit in the living room.
    When we took the Summit out to the track, the stock MiMH's drove it only 3 meters, we assumed low battery and changed to the extra 2 MiMH's then the issue started. When the LED flashes Red/Green the EVX-2 cannot be switched off, need to remove the batteries.

For the info on LVD you mentioned you mean the article #76606 "Traxxas Speed Controls and Low Voltage Detection (LVD)" - right? But, no instruction on how to turn off or have I overlooked? In the article no info for the EVX-2 on how to turn on, only for VXL-3 and XL-5 is mentioned. Sorry I am absolutely new to Traxxas...

Steen

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by f687s View Post
    i think it is a reverse polarity signal
    How could that be? As we have not touched any of the wiring and the polarity of the stock and the extra batteries are all the same - or I overlooked something? The problem is for both stock and extra batteries...perhaps some programming I done wrong?

RC Qualifier
    Your tx maybe in Throttle Trim Seek Mode Pg. 28 owner's manual. Is your TX flashing green? if so you may have turn your throttle knob by accident, it's to prevent your truck from running away. Under this condition your lights and steering still work but no throttle. Also check your tx batteries. Good luck.

RC Champion
    I'm pulling from memory but yes, I believe that's the article. It's odd that it tells how to turn it on but not how to turn it off. I'm not certain that's your issue, but it sounded like the issue other had.

+1 on the transmitter batteries. When they go dead they can make your RC do weird things.

RC Competitor
    If it's flashing red/green, it's in over voltage protection. Mine did this as well, had to discharge one of the batteries until it was almost dead, then hook it up and press the button on the esc until it switched back over to the nimh setting (solid red I think?).

Here's my thread regarding this:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-some-guidance
    Last edited by mattinpa; 04-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Hi maxi single,

No unfortunately not it is the ESC (EVX-2) that flashed red/green...
    Replaced the TX batteries = same

Steen

RC Enthusiast
    Hi maxi single,

No unfortunately not it is the ESC (EVX-2) that flashed red/green...
    Replaced the TX batteries = same

Steen

Look at what I just found in my paperwork...

I cannot find this on the Traxxas site anywhere....
    hope this helps!!

RC Enthusiast
    Hi mattinpa!

Thanks for the link, and yes I am 99% sure I have the same problem as you has.

We assumed the correct color for receiver and ESC would be same = green, which it correct when the LVD is on, but when off it is not same, but receiver = green and ESC = Red. Since the stock batteries most likely were not fully charged we could drive a while in the living room, when we got to the track the stock batteries ran out of juice and when we put the extra in (which we had just fully charged) we got the over voltage indication.

I am now de-charging the two stock batteries and when I will see if I can take away the LVD.

THANKS - Steen

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Jimmie!

Excellent, Traxxas should include this with all the models where the EVX-2 got LVD!
    Apparently Traxxas ship in the LVD mode...

Any idea where the original paper can be found?

THANKS so much for your help!

Steen

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by seh2000 View Post
    Hi mattinpa!

Thanks for the link, and yes I am 99% sure I have the same problem as you has.

We assumed the correct color for receiver and ESC would be same = green, which it correct when the LVD is on, but when off it is not same, but receiver = green and ESC = Red. Since the stock batteries most likely were not fully charged we could drive a while in the living room, when we got to the track the stock batteries ran out of juice and when we put the extra in (which we had just fully charged) we got the over voltage indication.

I am now de-charging the two stock batteries and when I will see if I can take away the LVD.

THANKS - Steen
    The colors of everything (tx/rx/esc) threw me off at first as well, but being new to R/C, I knew I just needed to read up on it. Like I stated in that other thread, nothing like having to troubleshoot a new truck in order to get familiar with it! Keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by seh2000 View Post
    Hi Jimmie!

Excellent, Traxxas should include this with all the models where the EVX-2 got LVD!
    Apparently Traxxas ship in the LVD mode...

Any idea where the original paper can be found?

THANKS so much for your help!

Steen
    That paper came with my Summit (new in box), it was bundled in with the manual. The only problem is that the flashing red/green isn't referenced in either place, so even if you had it, it wouldn't have helped. Thankfully we have the forums to turn to!
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    The manual says green, but I think this is for the EVX-2 without the LVD...

Agree even if I had the paper it would not have helped me 100%, but then as you say "Thankfully, we have the forum!"

As soon as I get it going I will post an update...

RC Enthusiast
    As mattinpa explained how he solved his "problem" in this link http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-some-guidance I solved my issue the same way.
    Had to de-charge two batteries where after I could follow the guide Jimmie posted above.

Wish Traxxas had included the Addendum with our Summit and included a explanation to the red/green flashing.

Thanks Jimmie and mattinpa!!!!

I'll post a picture from our Summit track in a few days...

Steen