Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    That first section is like a jumbo jet taking off!! The tires didn't seem too far out of balance.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    It's much cooler in person! =D

I dropped my keyboard and busted the CTRL key when working on this thing... I can't find the receiver for my other wireless keyboard, I have ONE that kinda works, and the other that has no receiver. BLAH.

The battery leads on the MMP are really short from my 1/16 Revo, so it's kind of annoying and the wiring is tight by the battery, but the rest is just fine.. I need to find a good mounting spot for the ESC.

It's blowing my mind that this little ESC can power the 2100kv like this. I assumed it'd just go, "meh sorry nice try!"

Looking forward to daylight tomorrow so I can give this thing a good test.

According to the gearing calculator, this thing is only going to be doing about 26-27mph! I thought STOCK was that fast, but as you heard from the wheels spinning, it certainly seems to want to go faster than that.

RC Qualifier
    Bloody darkness!!! Glad to see your stuff came in. I really like the idea of running one battery leaving the other compartment open for all your gadgetry...wich by the sounds of it you will have plenty of.

Keep us posted and good luck sleeping tonight

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Champion
    Took it out today, it's lightly raining so the driveway is slick, make it easy to spin the tires and drift around.

The slipper clutch is set just right and mixed with the 100% punch control, NO wheelies, and as far as I can tell nothing harsh on the drive train. It's MUCH healthier now than stock I'd say, there is no jerkiness at all. I can GUN it from a start and it eases in nicely - again no wheelies.

I'm sure if I went reverse, then full throttle I'd pull a wheelie, but I'm going to save that for later when I'm more confident with this MMP being the powerplant.

It's totally awesome, I'd recommend EVERYONE does this setup hah! $50 4-pole sensored motor, it's incredible!

$50 motor
    $115-120 ESC

= $175ish for an awesome, sensored brushless setup! Yeyeah!

Moving my project to the "other room" I've had zero desk space for the past 3-4 months, and I've got screws EVERYWHERE from all KINDS of things. Gotta clean up my other project room though haha, no-one ever mentions this on the forums. "Make sure you have a LOT of room to work on your projects!" Because that's a crucial step.

Later today I'm going to hook up the E-OSD to show the extra battery voltage(s) in line with my Immersion EZ-OSD.

Can we see a video of a crawl up those stairs?

RC Champion
    Those stairs..... well they suck!! Haha, the car can't climb'm and it drives me crazy!!

It can't get it's fat butt up the stairs because the stairs are too high, AND have a lip on them virtually locking the rear wheels down. Ah well.

RC Champion
    Here, I put something together quick:

It's not up yet (4-5 mins from now it'll be done) but I've gotta start cleaning up now or it'll never get done!! hahah

RC Champion
    Got around to ripping open the ESC, surprisingly not too much was hurt! ... not visibly anyway. It appears that the fets are still fine, except the one 8-pin guy that's half melted, and then the 227j cap caught fire. Not sure if IT blew first because tantalum (the rare-earth material it's made of) simply DOES just catch fire, or if the FET blew, then blowing out the cap. Looking in to the parts, fortunately I took a BEFORE picture to see what parts they ARE! The cap is 70 and the fet is a buck.. but gotta see if that's all that's gone wrong. It'd be neat to see if that's ALL it was and then put a fix for all the poor fellas out there who got ripped off by a lousy design.

Click here for a full version, easier to see.
    Last edited by krallopian; 09-20-2012 at 03:25 PM.

RC Champion
    Great, now I've also ruined my gopro!! On a roll here...

I redid all the wiring for the cameras, and made the same one for the gopro that I made for the others that need to be powered. Long story short, I put 12v IN to the video OUT, thus frying the video out. Somewhere that should be reading about 0.005k is now reading 12k. Thus the video signal is SO WEAK coming out (hooked it up to my oscilliscope, had to go from 5k to past 25k to see it) that it doesn't even get transmitted.

Looks like my gopro is outta the question for MAIN FPV.

It still records and all that, it just doesn't provide a live video out anymore. Boo.

RC Champion
    Roight..

In OTHER news! TWO packages came in today!

65c temp switches! Means when I turn on "FAN" they won't turn on unless the component(s) in the case is 65 or hotter. And then they will turn off one they have cooled down to about 60 - keeping the battery useage to a minimum.

THEN! THIS!

It came so fast! I didn't expect it until AT LEAST October 5-6!

It works great too, so now I have the scale for this item. Perfect!

HOWEVER two big updates:

One - Secret
    Two - Experimenting with using a slightly larger case, because of the secret update!! haha, either way it's INCREDIBLY exciting for me, and all around awesome. ... more coming soon! =)

Cool it's like Christmas...
    What's he got?what's he doing now?
    I'm almost as exited as you lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I dont think this build is going to end.

RC Champion
    Haha!

SO I've spent the past 24ish hours researching ZOOM cams.

foxtech sells a $300 10x optical zoom (10x is great!) that is basically a CCTV camera, taken out of its case and controlled instead by a simple RC remote radio! Not bad because these things are usually only controlled by expensive ($50-800) PTZ units, and usually aren't wireless.

I've learned a whack of information over the past day and have found the perfect camera.

At $138usd I've found a 600tvl, Sony Effio-S CCD 27x opictal zoom, with wide dynamic range, 3d noise reduction, and a 0.01lux sensitivity. There are other cameras that are 480tvl for $70-90, and 540 tvl from $80-110 but they are the Effio-E chip, and it's simply not good enough!

The camera I found is an AMAZING camera!

The Sony EFFIO sensor was released a couple years ago, and changed the CCTV image quality world forever. Then they came out with the Effio-E and Effio-S and Effio-P which are basically, "cheap, professional, best" qualities. I couldn't use any of the extra features that come with the Effio-P chip because the resolution doesn't transmit across the wireless link anyway.

TVL is "TV Lines" and though it's different from PIXEL count it certain correlates. For instance a 420tvl image is generally in a cheap camera with a cheap sensor, so it's grainy and low resolution. A 540tvl is generally very clear and higher resolution - closer to 700x480 resolution. I think the Lawmate video TX/RX that I have (in the top 1% for quality) can only transmit up to 640x480 so no need for higher than 540tvl but this camera I've found is a 600tvl.

WDR - Wide Dynamic Range is HUGELY important for outdoor stuff, here's a video showing the difference between a normal camera, and the Effio-S processor:

And all the other benefits like 2D/3D noise reduction, ir cut filter, INSANE light sensitivity (means I can see under moonlight without even using night vision!) make this camera amazing.

I bought some $30 cameras that are IR sensitive, and they are 480tvl, and they look great across the fpv link! They work in night vision, and low light. Not bad! CMOS.

This new camera is CCD, works in virtually NO light, has ALL the bells and whistles, AND............ I can zoom up to 270x if I wanted to haha - optically only 27x, but that's enough to zoom in on a license plate 1000feet away and read it clearly.

So to make it WORK with my setup, I have two channels free on one of my Traxxas TQ remotes, ch1 & ch2.

I'm going to wire my receiver switches (from rc-lights.com) to channel 1 & 2, and basically wire them directly to the back of the CCTV camera where it has manual zoom in and out buttons. I'm going to use a momentary ON, OFF, ON switch like this one:

And when I push one way, it'll zoom in and when I let go, it will stop zooming in and hold, and when I push the other way it will zoom out! That's using TWO channels, TWO receiver switches that are hooked up to the back of the camera bringing the switches to ground. <-- had to research how the buttons worked.

SO after researching the what's-what of cameras, I decided I needed to find a camera that has the following features:

1.) Low light sensitive
    2.) Small
    3.) High Optical Zoom
    4.) Efficient
    5.) Had things like noise reduction, and wide dynamic range
    6.) 12v operated (no need for anything extra off my 3S 5000mah battery)
    7.) Auto focus when zooming! If I use my other radio I can also adjust focus manually.
    8.) IR cut filter
    9.) Extreme cold (Canada winter) and heat (Canada Summer) operation!

And I did, it's a camera using a 27x optical zoom Effio-S cam.... I am pretty stoked!

I started to fool around with my case design in photoshop for a larger case - 20% or so larger, but I don't like the case I have. My pelican case is much... nicer looking. I like the, "complex" small-size-packing-a-lot-of-features aspect of it.

To make the zoom cam work, as I've explained all I'll need to do is hook in a little switch that says "ZOOM IN" on one side and "ZOOM OUT" on the other. Not taking much space.

My OTHER plan is to have a port that allows me to hook in a handheld controller. I'm worried that I won't like driving alllll the time with the joystick on the case, so I'm thinking of making just a quick port that has a switch, "internal control/External control" of the car, and just using the Traxxas TQ remote with it's trigger throttle and wheel steering for when I want to do that.

SO! Going to hit ORDER on the camera right now, and going to mess with how to place the zoom function on the case!

Hope someone read this whole post, and learned something hahaha!
    Last edited by krallopian; 09-24-2012 at 04:40 PM.

I read it all a few times before it all sank in. lol

Too bad I won't be able to watch any FPV video once you're "done".

RC Champion
    "done" !? :P

Why won't you be able to watch any!?

I can still record on the gopro, I just can't see live video out - I can't drive with it as a primary camera.
    I also have a DVR remember, so I can record 100% of what's being done!

I will have 1080p video, AND FPV video. :P

RC Champion
    Not bad, I just NOW hit "BUY" but before I did there was a button, "Make an offer" I've never seen before. So the camera went from $138.88 to $120! Free air shipping too!

I said, "After doing research I've found that the Effio-S does NOT have WDR as you say it does on this page and in the pictures. I will give you $120 for this item" and within 2 minutes, "Congratulations, the item is yours!" Hahah

Talk about adding excitement to excitement!

As far as making the ZOOM switch fit nicely, I'm having difficulties adding it in to the design. Having a cold really puts a downer on things.

Anyway, thought I'd add this so that in the future people will see what camera I got and how much it's going for! =)

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Why won't you be able to watch any!?
    It has nothing to do with you... I cannot watch any FPV; including games.
    I get motion sick.

RC Champion
    Oh man really!?! Well .. argh! What's funny is I work on a 55" monitor (I'm about 2feet from it right now) and I have to turn my head left and right to see the whole thing. I've got 20/20 vision and have the brightness low, but you'd probably have a breakdown than if you were sitting here ahhaha. Your AVATAR ALONE would probably get ya! It's about 3"x3" on my screen haha.

Great news too, I just got this in an email:

"Hi,
    We have double checked with the factory and tested the camera again. It does come with the WDR function. The WDR works OK under general condition not extremely hard environment. It only has on/off from the OSD menu selection, no any levels to adjust, so I would say it is an simple WDR. Sony Effio-S provides this function but not like Prixim WDR cameras with so many prameters to choose. I am sure you will like the quality of the camera.

Best regards,
    Candy "

Not bad! Talk about FAST service! Thank yooouuu INTERNET!

That actually probably wouldn't bother me... it seems to only effect me when the camera is mobile... like "Blair Witch". I couldn't stand to watch that movie simply because of how they used the camera.

RC Champion
    Yeah that movie was the result of people who forgot they had their cameras running!

Amazing service from these guys on ebay, it's already shipped with a tracking number on the way! WOW. Took less then 25 minutes for someone in China to get, read, and reply to my bid, then contact their factory and provide more information, AND have it picked up by a courier and marked as shipped!! NEVER happened like that before. I guess China's making up for my super late shipments from before hahahah.

I'm still on ebay though, it's dangerous.. $3 here, $1.95 there, $9.99 here.. I'm going to have so many switches and buttons and little things I don't even NEED for this project! =D

RC Champion
    Alright well looks like I've come up with a gosh-darned NEAR FINAL design!

I've re-done the SD card slot and spacing for the DVR underneath. I've changed out the DVR buttons for some 3mm tactile momentary push buttons - fits better up there now.

I've changed the lighting setup, IRNV and LED lights have "status" LEDS now too.

The VOLTAGE "section" makes more sense now, side by side, and closer to the center of interest when driving.

The CAMERA CONTROL section has taken the "system voltage" place, makes much more sense, and "quicker" to control while driving.

All the new switches are 3p2t and 3p3t allowing the LED's to take power and at the same time control the radios (this way there's no need for a microcontroller, keeping true to the, "anyone can do this" aspect.)

Here she is!

Using these rubber boots, all the switches will be a nice black colour - as seen above.

So a few tweaks here and there, and that's really about alllll there is to do!
    Last edited by krallopian; 09-25-2012 at 01:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Alright well looks like I've come up with a gosh-darned NEAR FINAL design!
    HA! We've heard that before

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Champion
    :P

I went out and bought a few more little things today - some small project boxes for the electronics on the car, and a couple more 12v fans and other thangs - and picked up the test print from the printing company!

Turned out MUCH better than I anticipated on the carbon fiber vinyl:

Pretty cool indeed.

I've decided that I'm going to do the base plate in the carbon fiber (as per the concept above) and do the plates in a black brushed aluminum! I want the satin/matte look, and I'll get that PLUS the brushed alum look. Goooing to be purrrrdy!

It was nice to talk to their graphics guy - the guy who ACTUALLY does the work - because he gave me a lot of confidence in their team.

I've ordered a bunch of other stuff over the past 24 hours, ALL for the CAR itself though, not the base station! I'm getting pretty excited knowing that the, "OKAY HERE IT IS, CUT AND PRINT IT ALL!" moment is coming just around the corner haha.

RC Racer
    MORE MORE MORE
    Getting a little excited/impatient here to see how this turns out

RC Champion
    Haha yeah I know, you and I both!!

I've just photoshopped what I assume the black brushed aluminum will look like:

There are certain parts that I don't like, and others that I really like .... hmmmm

RC Racer
    I like it, it gives it a nice textured appearance
    What are the things that you don't like about that?

RC Champion
    Yeah it's growing on me.

I've ordered a few samples for the finish - DARK GREY Brushed Aluminum and SATIN BLACK. Going to be here within 14 days, uh yi yi!!

On another note, I've changed up the way the power comes in! It'll still remain battery powered of course for portable use, but the other day I ordered a 10A 12V AC-DC converter power supple. Basically sticking with the original plan of using a PC power cable to plug the wall in to the unit.

BUT instead, I've found a 12V 10A EXTERNAL power supply, like those jobbies you find on laptops. This will free up a bunch of space inside the case, keep the temps down AND give me more room for bigger batteries. So, I'm just working on that design right now. Ordered the $18 power supply the other day, going to order this one later tonight if it turns out I'm happy with the design.

I've also moved the charge ports to the right side of the case. That balance plug I've made up takes a lot of force to press in place, and I'm not comfortable with constantly pushing down on the case like that, so putting it on the side of the super tough pelican case seems like a much better solution.

I have ammeters coming in as well, so I can see the current draw.

Here's how she looks now (with the internal power supply panel on the bottom left, and charge port panel on the bottom right)

I'm really partial to the computer plug to the port idea vs just a small round hole for the laptop style power supply, buuut it'll certainly keep the temps and weight down and it really simply is a better idea to keep that on the outside. If the power supply inside died, it could cause a lot of harm, keeping it outside really just is the best idea.

RC Champion
    I just ordered:

Gyro for the fpv cam (keep it nice and steady over bumps)
    Laptop style Power Supply
    REVO 5309 Servo Saver Assembly (with bearings and all)
    DC Barrel 5.5mm receptacle

Geesh.

I already have a nice and strong Spektrum S6030 form my 1/16 E-Revo, so I basically just need the punk RC and I'll have the 4ws going!

RC Champion
    Awwwwwwwwwwww shhhhhhucks!

Just realized, I CAN'T use the AC-DC power setup because then my charger won't be getting the correct power.

Buut then again, it DOES say you can hook it up to your car to charge batteries and c.... hmm MAYBE I can. But then I couldn't use the AC out plugs - which isn't really a big deal it was just a nice added benefit. I COULD get a DC-AC converter and put it inside, but that's just more weight and takes up more space again defeating the purpose of getting an external power supply.

Geee wiz.

RC Champion
    I'm all over the place with what I'm doing here.

I've currently swapped out the remotes for 3 6-channel transmitters inside. I've made plenty of room for some other things. I went from 12 real channels and 4 tied together, to 18 individual channels.

I'm working on how to make TWO pan & tilt setups. Perhaps one pan and tilt, and one simple pan. We'll see.

Point of this post though is to say,

"DUH!!!" I have a Traxxas EZ Peak Plus!! haha, it TAKES 12v in as well to run. Best part is, I was looking for an AC to DC power supply, and the charger itself has one built in this whole time!! So... yeah. Traxxas saves the day on this one! My last post I was saying I was being stupid thinking I could power the unit from an AC-DC converter, but that problem is no longer .. a problem!

Heh, I'm tempted to try to charge my little lipos from the mini via my 4S 5000mAh battery just to see how it goes. Unlikely that it'll happen.

RC Racer
    Nice thread man, it would have to of taken me around 2 hours to read the lot

Keep up the good work, cant wait to see the finished product.
    Rustler VXL
    Merv
    Soon to be a Wraith owner :)

RC Champion
    So I've received my CAMERA and Rear Steering Assembly (the steering arms and bearings etc.. from the big Revo)

The camera is INCREDIBLE! I can zoom in to something 2inches away, and then focus it in to crystal clear quality! It doesn't have as good of a WDR as I expected, but it's certainly amazing!

I killed my 12v battery just testing it though, oops forgot to charge'm - so no video of how it works, but here's how it looks!!

I spent about16 hours last night tracking down the perfect case for the camera. I found one and "Mr Jacky" in China has it... no response yet :\

Either way, I am super pleased with this camera! (And relatively short shipping time!)

RC Champion
    So I hooked it up to my Traxxas battery in that picture above (another.. "duh" moment) and put together a messy video showing how it works. I certainly need a cameraman with me hahah.

I didn't move the camera around because I just quickly took some wires and alligator clipped'm in to the Traxxas battery, not the safest method and for those "new" to batteries, NEVER do this!

I took the camera out of the case, and then out of the case from the case... it gets pretty small!

Here it is in its "Effio-S" case!

of course, it's not mounted to the car or anything yet, this is just for an "Over-all feeling" of position and size on the car.

I'm planning on getting a case that has IR ARRAYS (not the usual ir led setup, these are super high quality) and some extra spots for my 1,600,000millicandela led lights I have coming in.

I'll be able to use TWO of those ir arrays, and then replace two of the others with the high output flashlights I have. It'll be pretty slick! Still waiting on, "Mr Jacky" though. REALLY hoping he replies, because that camera case is gorgeous IMO.
    Last edited by krallopian; 10-05-2012 at 01:58 PM.

RC Champion
    Still waiting on a reply. I've spent the past few days looking in every corner for a lead on that camera - no luck yet.

WHILE SEARCHING I've been adding one thing after another to the list for this build. I've ordered another screen (backup 3.5" incase the batteries suffer for the big one) and changed around a bunch on the case design. I've been trying to find stuff to modify the Summit with, but there's....... nothing! I love this Summit, it's such a solid platform to build on.

I know everyone's probably sick of the whole, "OH OH OH adding ONE MORE THING!" but I really want to do this perfect the first time.

For instance, by taking this long I've solved so many issues in the case/control/space side of things, although not much looks different the how's and why's of it all have REALLY evolved.

Here's a quick video again, showing the quality of the new camera I'm going to be driving with:

Meanwhile, if anyone has a '95-'05 Sebring, Cirrus, Intrepid, PT Cruiser etc... I'm trying to figure out the diameter of the mirror switch joystick, I'm wanting to implement that in to the case to operate as ZOOM IN/OUT and FOCUS NEAR/FAR, but I can't find the dimensions and no-one on Facebook has the car haha.

RC Qualifier
    I see you're still going hard

Keep up the great work man!
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC poster

FatShark goggles???

Hi Krallopian, really enjoying this thread. I bought my Summit to test FPV on the ground before I take it to the air.

Maybe I missed the discussion but I was just wondering if you had considered the FatShark FPV goggles with the head-tracker? Basically the goggles have a built-in controller that pans and tilts the camera according to how you move your head. This would make "looking" much more natural and liberate some space on your base station.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368222

Sean

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer View Post
    Hi Krallopian, really enjoying this thread. I bought my Summit to test FPV on the ground before I take it to the air.

Maybe I missed the discussion but I was just wondering if you had considered the FatShark FPV goggles with the head-tracker? Basically the goggles have a built-in controller that pans and tilts the camera according to how you move your head. This would make "looking" much more natural and liberate some space on your base station.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368222

Sean
    Been looking at that unit myself.......BUT posting that link is a NO NO and your post is either going to get edited or deleted due to traxxas regulations about that site not being mentioned or any of its products. You where fine until you posted the link.
    My track record with their products has not been outstanding. Sure they work and work well but then go puff all of the sudden.

RC Champion
    I actually ordered 7 2.4ghz Fatshark..... antennas haha! No goggles for me though, I'm not big on the idea of standing around with goggles on looking around without knowing who's around me or anything. I really like the ground station with screen(s) setup more.

I DO have have plans to one day just buy some vga goggles, I already have the video out on the base station waiting for just sucha thing!

Any footage of your test Summit!?

RC poster
    Guess I should have read the rules more attentively. I would edit the post myself and remove the offence but...

Sean

RC Racer
    Will the base fold up all nicely?
    As in with all the buttons and switches sticking out, how will it close
    Or are you just planning on leaving it open?