Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Champion
    So after making up a y-connector for the two steering servos, hooking it all up and fixing up the trims...... the car has NO ISSUE going further than I ever tested the TQ or TQi setup, WITH the remote resting on my railing, not holding it up high or anything - it went further than I could see because of distance and tall grass. In short, it worked perfectly! I didn't have a camera on it because all of my components are laying around in pieces waiting for this case to be printed/cut.

I was told by the plastic/graphics guys that I'd hear back from them last Monday. I received an email last night saying, "sorry, next week!" ... it's a good thing I'm still tweaking the design of it anyway otherwise I'd have lost my mind by now.

All I'm waiting on now is some small bits and pieces from China and they should be here by Tuesday.

I'm not 100% sure of this Manipulator Arm, only because I'm afraid the servos won't be strong enough and worse: When I turn it on, they will all try to zero themselves and 6 strong servos under full load will crash almost any ESC I could throw at them. We'll see, I still need to come up with a chassis design for the car for all the radio, battery, camera, osd etc... mounts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    So after making up a y-connector for the two steering servos, hooking it all up and fixing up the trims...... the car has NO ISSUE going further than I ever tested the TQ or TQi setup, WITH the remote resting on my railing, not holding it up high or anything - it went further than I could see because of distance and tall grass. In short, it worked perfectly! I didn't have a camera on it because all of my components are laying around in pieces waiting for this case to be printed/cut.

I was told by the plastic/graphics guys that I'd hear back from them last Monday. I received an email last night saying, "sorry, next week!" ... it's a good thing I'm still tweaking the design of it anyway otherwise I'd have lost my mind by now.

All I'm waiting on now is some small bits and pieces from China and they should be here by Tuesday.

I'm not 100% sure of this Manipulator Arm, only because I'm afraid the servos won't be strong enough and worse: When I turn it on, they will all try to zero themselves and 6 strong servos under full load will crash almost any ESC I could throw at them. We'll see, I still need to come up with a chassis design for the car for all the radio, battery, camera, osd etc... mounts.
    I think you can use the Manipulator Arm, but you need a BEC like this one.
    Specification:
    Max Amps: 20 amps peak**
    Length: 1.69" (43mm)
    Width: 1.3" (33mm)
    Height: 0.94" (24mm)
    Weight (w/o wires): 1oz (29grams)
    **Ratings are determined with a 5mph airflow on the BEC.

Wiring:

I think you can use the BEC and power the steering servos, shifting servos..... and the Manipulator Arm.

Ps:

And is just for know.

You know:
    What is the amps consumption of the servo: 2075, 2056, 2065 and 2060?
    What is the amps consumption of the reciver: 6518?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Hahahah yeah thanks DBG, I already have a couple of those 10Amp CC ones that I'm currently using. They are 10 amp PEAK but again that's not going to be any issue. I'm not concerned about the amp draw from the Traxxas servos because they are already working fine with the Traxxas EVX-2 that comes with the vehicle.

My initial issue with the ESC not providing enough power is simply a matter of fact, one of those things I'll just have to deal with when the time comes. But thanks for the suggestion, always more than welcome!!

*cheers

RC Qualifier
    Hahahah yeah thanks DBG, I already have a couple of those 10Amp CC ones that I'm currently using. They are 10 amp PEAK but again that's not going to be any issue. I'm not concerned about the amp draw from the Traxxas servos because they are already working fine with the Traxxas EVX-2 that comes with the vehicle.

My initial issue with the ESC not providing enough power is simply a matter of fact, one of those things I'll just have to deal with when the time comes. But thanks for the suggestion, always more than welcome!!

*cheers
    Well.... I was talking about use a BEC for the Manipulator Arm's servos.... but its ok
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Oh yeah of course, that's exactly what I have one of the BEC's for! The stock components of the car are being powered by the EVX2 but the rest of the components - 4 other receivers........ are being powered by one or two bec's that I have (still need to figure out exactly what I'm going to do haha)

I have on the car:

TQ
    TQ
    TQi
    HK6TA
    HK6TA

For a total of 27 channels available (18 of which are proportional) - should be more than enough at the end of the day!

Just need a phone in it.Then it's a business tool for "tele conferencing"
    I smell a tax rite-off maybe....lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Hahah yeah! We'll see...

I'm just in the process of ordering a new motor and esc.. and extra voltage OSD.. and all kinds of connectors, and a new 5000mAh 4s battery (highest mAh that I've found that will fit without modifying the car) and 360 50kg/cm servo (insane power) with plugs, ferrite, wraps, screws... etc! All for under $220!

The reason I'm getting a new ESC and Motor is:

I wanted a new ESC that has a SWITCH that I can re-route - unlike the EVX2. I wanted an ESC that has no crazy series wiring on the inside, so that I can power the whole unit from just ONE 4s, and use the other battery tray to power all my FPV gear and keep the center of gravity nice and low with the car. I then found an 150Amp Sensored/Sensorless ESC that is only $55, BUT doesn't do brushed motors, so I found a $55 2100watt 2100kv 4-pole sensored brushless motor to go with it.

Now completely removing the waterproof aspect of the car (except the OEM servos up front for diffs, tranny and steering) I'll have to be certain to stay away from bodies of water - besides this'll ensure I don't risk getting the FPV gear wet.
    Last edited by krallopian; 09-04-2012 at 12:35 AM.

RC Champion
    Well I've just ACTUALLY placed the order. I'm officially broke! Don't have the case built yet, and not sure when I'm getting paid next! Hahah... *sigh*

However, $293 after shipping has bought me:

1 Compact 5000mAh 4S 25C Lipo Pack = $35.15
    4 Black Anodised Aluminum M3 Countersunk Washer (8pcs) = $5.96
    1 Spiral wrap tube ID 9mm / OD 10mm (Black - 2 Metre) = $0.49
    3 Soft Ferrite Rings 16x7x10 (5pc) = $2.97
    2 Cable & Wire Holders (10pc) = $3.46
    1 6pin Micro Plug (10pairs/bag) = $2.38
    1 E-OSD = $12.83
    3 5mm Heat Shrink Tube - RED (1mtr) = $0.75
    3 5mm Heat Shrink Tube - BLACK (1mtr) = $0.48
    2 Pure-Silicone Wire 16AWG (1mtr) BLACK = $2.58
    2 Hex Screw M3x16 (20pcs) = $3.78
    1 ********* 1/8th Sensored Brushless Motor 2100KV = $52.99
    1 Nylon XT90 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs) = $7.49
    1 Hex Driver set 1.5~ 3.0 = $3.99
    1 Speed Controller Programming Card = $5.21
    1 150A Sensored/Sensorless Brushless Car ESC = $58.84
    1 30CM Servo Lead Extention (JR) 26AWG(10pcs/bag) = $2.43
    1 JST Female 2 pin connector set (10pcs/set) = $0.74
    1 JST Male 2 pin connector set (10pcs/set) = $0.89
    1 HKSS programming card for HK 150A ESC = $5.45
    1 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx USB Cable = $2.89
    1 Fiberglass Pan-Tilt Camera Mount L-Size = $4.99
    7 Fatshark FPV - 2.5dBi 2.4Ghz Antenna = $22.05

All with $54 shipping.

SO now I'll have a new ESC and Sensored Motor that I can program! I bought two programmers, not sure which one works best based on the reviews, and for $5 each... who cares.

I bought a pan & tilt setup for one of my small cmos cameras, just to see how it's built, again $5.

I bought the simple OSD to add in to my current Immersion EZOSD so I can show up to two more battery voltages across the FPV.

The 4S 5000mah is the biggest mAh I could find that fits, and the brand I've chosen is a notch above the competition I've read, so why not.

All kinds of wires and connectors.

Then 7, that's SEVEN, more 2.4ghz antennas. Not sure if they'll work out or not, but my plan is to replace all the antennas with these. The five on-board receivers will get these mounted to them via pigtail IPEX to SMA connectors I'll install on the receivers. Then the two new 6 channel transmitters I got will also get these built in to them. My other two TQ's already have similar antennas attached to them, and the TQi doesn't have an antenna to speak of, so I don't need one for that.

I expect to get my other shipment in today from China that I ordered about 14 days ago, annnd this one should be shipped tomorrow with arrival sometime early next week - hopefully Monday.

RC Champion
    So I received ONE of two packages today. More knobs. I ordered slightly smaller ones to allow for more room on the design.

I've completely redesigned the bottom control panel, it makes much more sense now. Joystick to control the car, and joystick the pan/tilt the camera. Differential and gear select switches, and control selector.

Then up top I have light switches both IR and normal visible, and then OSD control and camera selector.

Last edited by krallopian; 09-05-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Replaced Image

RC Champion
    So some big changes to the hows and whys of the build of this project.

I just received another package from China (I love this free shipping, I keep ordering $2-5 things and getting them here for free hah) and expecting the BIG final one by the end of the week.

The guy that I've been waiting over a MONTH to get back to me regarding the cutting and printing of the unit is leaving the company. So he's passed the project on to someone more capable, and within 24 hours things have been moved along nicely.

Right now I need to go back to photoshop and draw out exactly the right size holes, font placement etc.. the working file is 2gigs already, photoshop is running sluggish so it's a pain to work with now.

After I give him the actual "cut here, print here" artwork, I'll get to finally soldering up all the correct connections to the cameras and power supplies. Right now it's a mess of wires, and has been like that on my desk for some weeks... I feel a productive day coming on! Haha

Here's how it sits currently - I'm thinking "..... done!?" we'll see

One word for it ...SPECTACULAR
    You sure you weren't involved in the mars rover project...lol. Should have been I'm thinking

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

He is doing this great on a reasonable budget... imagine what he could do on NASA's budget!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    omg dude that looks amazing what photo editing software do you use because i am going to need one for a class im will be taking. and i cant wait to see this thing running. traxxas will probably want you to come and talk to them about your project XD

RC Champion
    Hahah thanks a lot guys, it's great to hear!

I use photoshop, and a pair of calipers.

After spec'ing out where all the holes go, I found a few issues with the design. A few mm here, a few there and it's all fixed up.

Pretty excited! I just can't find a SOLID size for an m3 screw, I look up online and there are three different sizes!? Anyone know the specific size for an M3x16 screw? (16mm long)

*cheers

RC Champion
    This is truly incredible. I can't wait to see the final product!
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    I'm stuck with the DVR, I've come up with about 15 design changes to make it work, but they simply aren't.

I've changed the way the top screen sits, and I'm pretty happy with it:

But the DVR is sooo integrated that I can't change anything - the TOP of the unit has an AV out cable, and the right side of it is AV in. I ended up lowering the unit and putting the power switch on the TOP, but I need minimum 13mm room on the top, and if I do that I have to push it far down, so much so that it's sitting in the "power" plate.

Bah.

AGAIN, glad these guys are taking their sweet time getting back to me regarding the printing/cutting. As much as I would like to say, "yeah simple, just get some components, wire'm up and draw a quick outline.. no problem!" I've been working on this for how long now, and STILL finding issues and making changes.

Now with that being said, I COULD just go for a bigger case, but that defeats the challenge of it hah.

I have no doubt you will find a way to make it work

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Now with that being said, I COULD just go for a bigger case, but that defeats the challenge of it hah.
    I am having the same issues with my discharger build lol... the case I want due to having more cooling fins is going to be tight... like less than mm of clearance tight. The next size up does not have as many cooling fins, but has cm of extra room.

RC Champion
    I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to add 4WS (Four-Wheel Steering) to this, using the PunkRC Computer.

Also, the power for the DVR is a spring loaded slide up to turn on, release and it stays on, then slide up to turn off, and release. So the original SWITCH idea was iffy (would have worked but I wouldn't have liked it.) So now I have a momentary switch (same style switch as is the DIFF switch from the Summit transmitter, nice flat blade) that I push up or over, and release and it returns to normal. Nice spring loaded.

Then I have the actual 3-way diff switch from the Summit controller to do the 4WS control.

I've ordered a SD Card Extension Cable - plugs in to the standard sd card slot on the dvr with an sd card that has a cable coming off the end, and then in to an SD slot:

So in short, I've made it work, AND added 4ws control.

Last edited by krallopian; 09-14-2012 at 10:58 PM.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to add 4WS (Four-Wheel Steering) to this, using the PunkRC Computer.
    Sorry!

RC Champion
    Hahahah, you know it! And after seeing the other two builds from Edstoys and happymachinist, I've decided I need to do this mod.

I'm not going to work on it right away, gotta finish other things still but it's got to be implemented in to the control system before I get it all printed up. (last week was told they were switching guys on me, and since then I've heard nothing and sent two emails... HMMMM)

RC Champion
    Just got back from the store, bought these new goodies!

Strengthen the rear:

Strengthen the look:

Strengthen the performance after I install the brushless setup that I SHOULD get in tomorrow finally:

I also bought a 12t pinion from Novak for the motor (bloody expensive!) to see how much of a difference it'll make in both temperatures and performance.

These tires look pretty mean, I would preferred to have a larger offset, but the wheels weren't in stock and I just had to have them right then and there hah.

Tell me how you like them tires...
    A buddy of mine is looking for a set of tires with decent traction for his eMaxx that I converted to brushless for him. I help him with these decisions... the poor guy doesn't get much time to play or research working 70 hours a week and taking care of his family of 4 boys. lol I am trying to decide between these or Trenchers...

RC Champion
    With everything I read, these were all-around better than the trenchers. After a quick rip on the grass, on dirt and my driveway, they're great. I've noticed that the OUTSIDE of them are making contact on the pavement not the inside - a quick adjustment will fix that.

They look awesome, their offset makes it so that when they're installed the wheel base doesn't change (it's just as wide, no wider than than stock.)

I love the look, they sound MEAN on the road and look even meaner. I'm upset that the wrench I got from Traxxas (the stock Nylon one) is almost stripped from just taking off the stock wheels and putting these ones on! =D

The wheelie bar helps with climbing stairs too!

RC Qualifier
    I really want those tires for my T-Maxx ....
    Very nice!!!
    Any updates for the FPV system?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Only updates are that just today I realized, I'm going to change the diffs from OFF, FRONT, FRONT & REAR to ... Front ON/OFF Rear ON/OFF so that I can have whichever one I want instead of using the default Traxxas setup.

So the picture that shows the knob for the diffs, will not be changed to two switches I suppose.

Bunch of stuff has been "in transit to destination" for the past 4 days, so I strongly suspect it'll be here tomorrow - THEN I have to wait for an item that has yet to have SHIPPED from Korea to get here (the SD extension)

RC Champion
    Okay okay, I know I know I know I've been uploading improved concept over and over and over, and am STILL not getting the thing built.

Other than finding I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED MY ORDER yet, I also got a letter in the mail today: "Dear sucker, you've lost your license!" ....... BLARG, another $200 gone hahah.

Anyway, since I've been sitting around waiting all day I've come up with the new diff control settings, DVR functionality (no longer need the silly remote control) some colour coding things - when you turn on the charger now, it will light up the two green led's where the charge ports are suggesting, "Plug in to me! Plug in to me!" annnd of course, now Transmitter antennas on the top of the case. I was going to use the TQ, TQ and TQi, but I don't like that the TQi has no external antenna, and so am using two Traxxas TQ radios and my other 6ch radio.

The first TQ will do this:

Channel
    1 Camera PAN
    2 Camera TILT
    3 Camera Control Select (joy/knob)
    4 Main Lights
    5 Main Lights and Secondary

TQ 2:

Channel
    1 - Open
    2 - Open
    3 Camera Select
    4 Night Vision Main
    5 Night Vision Main and Secondary

6 Channel Remote:
    1 Vehicle Throttle/Brake/Reverse
    2 Vehicle Steering
    3 Gear 1/2
    4 Steering 1/2/3 setting
    5 Front Differential - Independant Control
    6 Rear Differential - Independant Control

SO there we have it.

Left over, I have a TQi with 4.5 channels, and another 6 channel remote, for when I move ahead with the manipulator arm design/build.

This design has come along way, looking at this for instance:

RC Qualifier
    This is some serious stuff Krall
    Amazing!
    This is Probally half the to-do's on ur list
    While waiting for parts ur Probally thinking what else this lil space can be

Keep up the good work
    Last edited by Daddykins; 09-17-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Spell check

Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    This is some serious s!@/ Krall
    Amazing!
    This is Probally half the to-do's on ur list
    While waiting for parts ur Probally thinking what else this lil space can be

Keep up the good work
    Just a heads up.... Bypassing the language filter will get you a talking to
    And maybe warning points.
    They are very strict when it comes to that sort of stuff

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I thought he simply mis-spelled "stuff!"

But thanks daddykins, I'm confused though with what you mean by, "half the to-do's" on my list.

RC Qualifier
    To some people it seems ur just about done.
    But to others like me ur going to think about another awesome idea to bring into the mix.

Could be just me tho. I am wanting things/projects to be perfect. Especially the first morning coffee

RC Champion
    Oh yeah, certainly!! =)

Thought you were referring to my, "wish list" from the first or second page of this thread. I've done MORE than that so far! =D

Certainly a great thing that it has taken this long while waiting for parts and replies etc... without the time I would have just built version 12-15 haha, I'm at 37 in photoshop right now.

*cheers!

RC Champion
    Can we say, FINALLY!!

Look what I saw had arrived when I woke up this morning!

Open it up and there's a TON of goodies!!

These XT90 connectors are HUGE! They look like serious business... (beside them is one of the programmers I bought for the ESC, it's teeny tiny!) Also a nice new 5000mah 4S!

Look how well the battery fits, I searched high and low and everywhere in between to find the max mAh 4S that would fit, looks like I nailed it:

Even the leads fit!

New 2100kv motor beside new 150A ESC, showing new to old:

The motor fits perfectly, it was hard to find a motor that was the exact dimensions of the 775 AND be sensored AND be 2100kv:
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-27-2012 at 07:52 AM.

RC Champion
    The motor fits just like the stock one: (I couldn't use the stock screws to the mount, I had to find M3's in the house, and cut them short, but it still fits fine - nice and snug to the bracket, no "duh" spacer needed)

The new ESC is slightly larger than the EVX2, but fits great:

Best part is, look how it mounts!

Wired up the new XT90 connectors, they're beefy! Bought some 5mm heat shrink that fits perfectly around their connectors, these guys are MUCH nicer/better than the Deans stuff.

Opened up the ESC to make sure there were no faulty solder joints, and to my surprise... FAR higher quality solder work than came on my Castle Mamba Max Pro!

Even comes with a purdy decent looking fan!

Now I have to measure up all the other stuff I have - screws, washers, etc... and implement their size in to the ground station.

I hooked up the battery to the esc, turned it on programmed it VERY easily, and it works! Stalls because........... the battery is dead hahah - storage charge.

Now I have to wire up a charge adapter for the EZ Peak! Uh yi yi.

Who's EXCITED!? THIS GUY!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-27-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Nice haul!
    Never even knew they made XT90's... lol

RC Champion
    Yeah, I was going to get the 60's because they were less than half the price, but these 90's are very impressive!

Finished the adapter (cut apart the Tamiya adapter that came with the charger) and the battery is charging 15.58v @ 4.00Amp, yay!

RC Champion
    So, charged the battery up.... 60-70% and hooked it up. Gearing was rough, so I played with it, slowly forwards, backwards, forwards, backwards, 80% throttle forwards POP! Smoke! DEAD! .............. pffffffffffffffffffffft what a JOKE!

$58 wasted.

Guess it's time to hook up the Castle MMP!

****** DRAT!!!

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Maximum sadness but you have a backup plan ready to implement
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Champion
    Well I've got the MMP hooked up, and I forget how to bind the transmitter to it - how to set the FULL, NEUTRAL and BRAKE positions, but after todays work I said, "I .. DON'T... CARE...." and just turned it on and gave it some gas.

It works!

Without sensored mode, it's REALLY strange, surges and all kinds of things - I think that's because of the throttle setup not being done yet. However, it sees the 4S lipo, and sits there waiting for me to play.

Uploading a video to youtube now of how it runs, it certainly likes to rev!! Sounds incredible.

The MMP fan doesn't even come on.

I'm afraid to PUNCH the gas though - even though I have 100% punch setup on the Castle MMP - because that's what blew the ESC earlier today. Shhpoookyy.

Anyway, if this continues to work, I'mma be pretty excited!

RC Champion
    Well I've been playing with the thing for however long now, and after re-programming it (turn it on with the throttle pulled, wait a few seconds, hit full brake, wait a few seconds, return to neutral .... and now it's set) it seems fine. However, it still glitches, and I think it's the $23 6-ch transmitter I'm using. It ONLY glitches when I flick the steering. I'll hook up another radio to see if it's the MMP's BEC doing it, and - hoping that it is - if it is I'll just use an external one. OTHERWISE I'm going to have to go back to my TQ switching the DIFFs in ch 4&5 instead of using the 6ch setup. Boo.

The car is awesome, MUCH smoother than I anticipated! 2100kv is TOTALLY acceptable for crawling, it will go as slow as I want and super smoothly, ZERO glitching.

Here's a video showing it revving up, and messing around, and some QUICK crawling.