Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Champion
    At first I was concerned you were asking about some forbidden products or something, but it was just your brakes on your Traxxas vehicle - hope you got it sorted! =)

As for the build, I've decided I want an ON BOARD dvr function. (recorder on the car)

Originally I was using the GoPro and it would record and output the video. I hated the field of view and its HD sucks for video transmission - 16:9 instead of 4:3.

So I'm thinking of replacing the PIXIM cam with a 720P 60fps dvr: PZ-2 Mini! It's awesome, I was originally going to get the Horyzon V3 from Foxtech @ $150 + shipping, but I found this PZ-2 Mini for $70 after 2 day shipping! Takes a mini TF card.

I'm about to hit order I just need to do a bit more research. I'm finding myself stuck where I am with wiring though:

I've wired up the ESC completely - big step - but now comes the cameras to GPS/OSD then out to the transmitter.

Also, wiring up the IR LEDs has proven to be a MUCH bigger pain in the butt, they don't fit inside my flashlights the way I imagined! Their contacts are too far apart, and would short against the side of the casing, and if I bend them and ruin ONE I've lost it all because they came in a $70 camera that takes 2 weeks+ to get here.

Once I get over those two, the weather will have hopefully cleared up and I'll get some tests going with some HD VIDEO and OSD FPV video! Hoorah to that

RC Champion
    Bought a couple QUICK RELEASE CLAMPS today.

And

This is how I'll connect the top turret (the cameras and lights) to the base! Super easy and strong, and low profile, and solid metal! $10 each from eBay, so it'll take a couple weeks for them to get here. EUGH, but better than anything else I could come up with for a quick disconnect.

From the top I have:

Video Out to OSD
    Video In from OSD
    12v in
    Pan Servo
    Tilt Servo

Total of 14 wires! I can take the 12v +/- and branch them in to the video in/out, and the 5.5v +/- from both servos in to the same then take video and servo signals separately making a total of 5-7 wires depending on how I do it, and still have the same functionality! Not bad, not bad - might end up making a single DIN style connector:

RC Qualifier
    Those quick camera clamps should work real well for you, they surprised me how strong they are with my Canon SLR with a telephoto lens either on a tripod or monopod.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Champion
    Good stuff, glad to hear!

I just had to cancel the order on the DVR, what a drag - out of stock, and not getting more for at least 8 more days, I'm not waiting 8 days to find out it'll be another 8 days after that.

Ordering from another website right now, but EUGH two wasted days of waiting haha!

RC Champion
    I ordered up a few connectors from digikey - should be here Monday, I'm doing TWO connectors:

1. Power - 12v, 5.5v, GND
    2. ... everything else - video in, video out, cam switch signal, irnv switch, light switch.

Received my new DC to DC converters yesterday, hooked it up in place of the old one in my walkie-talkie and it works great, and WOW are they tiny! 22awg wiring in this picture for an idea of scale:

Original, "tiny" converter:

New, TIIINY converter:

They're good for 2amps at up to 30v! I'm just converting the 4s lipos to 12v, and the 5.5v to 3.7v, so nooo issues with losses (super efficient, upwards of 92%+) and virtually no heat thanks to it being a switching supply.

SO tiny and efficient that I can turn almost any input in to almost anything I need (so long as it is less, this is a step down converter) anywhere I need it and it takes up no room.

Wow those are tiny!!

Would those work for a single servo BEC?
    Something like 6S in and 7.4 volts out?
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    They actually only want up to 20v sorry! I'm used to the CC BEC. 20v and 2amps continuous with 3amp burst:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131052172588...84.m1439.l2649

I looked at the chips specs and it supposedly can handle 25v and 3amp, but the cooling is the issue. I bought tiny heatsinks for the bigger guys which can handle 40v: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130984321712...84.m1439.l2648

2/3amp is the biggest drawback to these guys, BUT $1ish each does the trick for me!

So mr tiny over there should be good for 4S... hmmmm.
    My MM2 in the MT4 is currently feeding 7 volts (max BEC voltage) to my 7.4v servo... just thinking of an inexpensive way to feed single servos higher voltages than "standard" without the expense and overkill of a CCBEC. My buddy was just asking what he should do with the single servo in his 'Maxx... this might be a good option for both of us. Both are 4S RC's... and I don't think a single servo would overdraw a 2 amp limit.
    Even though these cheap-o servos have been ran on full 2S voltage, I am just hesitant to do so.

RC Champion
    You could just as well run one of these to EACH servo, so two servos = two dc to dc!

Very true.

RC Qualifier
    Hi Krallopian, i was looking at this for my snowblower project:http://www.hobbypartz.com/06p-101-ip-cam-white.htmlCan you, or anybody else, give me your thought about it? thanks!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Champion
    Looks like a decent camera - you're paying half the price for packaging though - but the biggest issue I see is the connectivity. 2.4ghz wifi broadcasting on your 2.4ghz car. Secondly, it won't have very much range at all, you would only be able to drive around your house or where ever you have your wireless receiver. Wifi range suffers due to bandwidth - sending 720p video needs a strong and solid connection and thus range is your biggest issue with that camera aside from it totally flooding your receiver on your vehicle! =)

RC Qualifier
    is what I would have interference between the diffusion of the camera and control the vehicle? I thought that to be on the same band, it would offer me the same scope of difusion as the vehicle ...?

RC Champion
    I think you're referring to range? And because the car is only being told, "go forward.. go forward.. go forward.. turn left.." there is thousands of times less data being sent to the car, compared to 720p video being sent from the car. Again the camera transmitter would flood the vehicle's receiver on the car killing your range and glitching the servos.

That camera simply won't work for fpv, unless you changed your 2.4ghz radio to something else and had a lot of wifi repeaters wherever you drove your car!

RC Qualifier
    Cool man! you just saved me a 100$ loss! Thanks! i have read all of your thread, but i'm trully not at your level as far as soldering, wiring and all those thing, so i'm shearshing for something good that doesn't need much knowlegde to install!

RC Champion
    Glad I could help!

First thing I recommend - the thing that got me in to it - is just put a camera on your car, a cell phone or camcorder or something. Drive around a bunch, see how it looks, decide if it's something you want to do! You'll be surprised how hard it is to see when you're driving fast!

I've just recently went from a 2350kv motor down to a 2100kv one, and 22t pinion to 16t pinion and it's still going to be far too quick to drive through FPV!

RC Qualifier
    This is to put on my summit... 1550kv/rx8 combo! I want to couple this with my next project... SUMMIT SNOWBLOWER, for next winter! Iam on low gear almost all the time... iI have my snowplow mounted on the front... and hight speed plowing isn't really efficient!

Edit: My goal is to be able to see what is in front of the truck, long range isn't really an issue, as i will be at most 200 feet away from the truck. And also to make it one of the coolest truck out there( after your truck)!
    Last edited by boilo56; 03-15-2014 at 08:45 PM.

RC Champion
    I'm interested in doing a light fpv setup, the biggest trouble I'm having right now is the camera, I'd like to get something that is easy to mount and won't cost an arm and a leg. I'd look myself but I'm really unsure of what I'm really looking for. Thanks for any help!

Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    What sort of mounting are you thinking of? Pan, pan & tilt, or just a static mount that doesn't move? Would you mount it to the Summit body, to the chassis, or something else?

Do you have a preference? Want it waterproof, or small and light?

We spoke back and fourth on PMs, did you check out the cameras I suggested? Basically anything that is 425tvl (tv lines, as in resolution) or above works.

There are $10 back-up cams (for cars) all over eBay, come with pretty decent mounts AND some even have infrared! Then there are $20-200 "board" cameras, which are usually used as both spy cams and small-space CCTV cameras. Then there are the bigger more optically advanced cams, with zoom and other hardware features that go well beyond anything NEEDED for fpv.

I strongly suggest just going to google images or ebay and searching for, "cctv board camera" and "reverse cam" or "parking cam" and seeing what's there.

The only concern after that will be 5v vs 12v and so on! My little MICRO camera would be good for you too, $15-20 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131001767716

RC Champion
    I would have preferred one of the backup cameras or something with a case of some sort around it but I dont really mind, I'll just plastidip the board camera and foam tape it to the vtx, at least that is the plan.

I just decided to go the easy and cheap route. Bought a 900mhz 800mw kit. Comes with the camera and all that fun stuff, $91 shipped, good by me. Already soldered up a battery connector. I intend to make this a detachable system on the battery hold down.

Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-18-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: content
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Sounds like a great plan! Taping it to the VTX might be a problem due to excessive heat, but you'll have to see when you get it!

I like the detachable idea as well.

Mine was never going to be until I ordered those camera mount disconnects. I figure I'll still want to drive it around fast like a basher from time to time, but certainly not with all the expensive/fragile gear on it!

I spent a couple hours last night looking for my credit card to place an order for some project boxes - I wrecked a couple, and have changed the design so the already-drilled holes look ugly - but for the life of me I couldn't find it. Then this morning I DID, but the bloody stock changed and what I needed MOST was no longer available.

Kind of good though, I ended up saving $20 and got more than I needed! I was going with Allied Electronics and found instead, "Newark Element14" another electronics parts place. Never heard of them, AND their shipping is the same as Digikey - $8 overnight!

I'm stoked.

My DVR Cam hasn't come in yet, hopefully tomorrow as well.

$1000 kicker is my darned caliper is stuck on my car, so I've been focused on that for the past couple of days.

RC Champion
    STILL haven't received my darned new FPV DVR camera!

Fixed the real car's brakes today though, so that was fun.

Just found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-AXIAL-ROCK...item4ad28f9a87

Been looking EVERYWHERE for those Narrow wheels, but gave up and bought some Desperados 1/2" offset, with a full set of Mud Slingers.

I want the car to be higher than these great looking Big Joes can do, so... $120 after shipping I've got new rubber and wheels in the mail.

RC Racer
    If I would of known, my local hobby shop has those exact bead locks for like $40 a pair... Darn!
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Champion
    Ah geez! Ah well, I've got glue anyway, and the Desperados are good looking wheels, and at $6 each vs $20+ it makes it more realistic. I don't even know why I'm buying more for it, I just want it to be able to climb my stairs better than the big joes which are JUST a tad too small.

RC Racer
    Makes sense. By the way, I got my brake all worked out (:
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Champion
    Awesome, good to hear!

RC Racer
    But now to fix my desktop computer lol
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Qualifier
    Hey Krall, have you ever tought of using video conversation like facetime, or BBM to drive by FPV? I'm thinking about using my BBPlaybook as monitor and my BB Z10 as onbord cam! What do you think about this idea?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    Hey Krall, have you ever tought of using video conversation like facetime, or BBM to drive by FPV? I'm thinking about using my BBPlaybook as monitor and my BB Z10 as onbord cam! What do you think about this idea?
    And, if someone where to steal it or something, you could just track your phone!
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by panek33 View Post
    And, if someone where to steal it or something, you could just track your phone!
    Hey! I had not even thought about that! Cool!

RC Champion
    Thought about it buuut too much lag to drive with.

As far as tracking your phone... Yes thought about that BUT a phone is hundreds of dollars and can easily be removed or turned off or note so. ... die within a day.

Who's to day I don't have a cheaper more realistic gps tracking setup already though?

RC Racer
    Yeah it could be turned off, but couldn't you get a last location to atleast get an idea of where it is?
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Qualifier
    But you would have around the world range! lol! Or, At least All Canada free of charge!!!
    And Blackberry are very secured phones, if i declared it stolen, nobody can reactivate it!

RC Champion
    Usually when these rigs get stolen the thief is on a vehicle and disables it while driving.

My biggest save in the is:

All video is recorded real time at the base.
    loud siren can be activated essentially deafening the thief forcing them to drop it.
    50 mpg wheel spin hah.

RC Qualifier
    Blackberry Protect is the gps localization/alarm programOn BB phones. Yes it can be shut off by removing the batt, but when you put it back, it starts to make a loud buzzing noise and starts to give gps location! It is good security. But I also know that it is not the best! But still, i think i will try it! Anyway, my truck can't go that far!!!lol

RC Racer
    Well, Goodluck!
    Just letting you know, downloading maya right now :P
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Champion
    I finally received the HD DVR Camera today.

It runs hot, hot to the touch.
    It's VERY small which is excellent.
    The lense is the same size as every other one I've bought, so I can change the FOV when I want to.
    I haven't tested the DVR yet, only quickly hooked it up to the FPV gear to test it AND:

The resolution is 16:9 which is bad. 4:3 is what you want for FPV - full screen. 16:9 is lousy for driving/flying with and so I won't be using the camera as a drive camera anymore.

I'm going to figure out where I can mount it on the turret so that it records everywhere, but I won't be using it for FPV live viewing. Not the end of the world, but kind of a downer since I was hoping I could.

No biggy, the drive cameras I'm are higher quality anyway, but don't record and certainly do "HD" resolutions!

60fps at 720P will be what this new thing records at.

It'll look good for the slomo HD stuff.

Also, last week I ordered some Mud Slingers from AMAIN, they left San Fran at 6:30 this morning headed up here.

RC Champion
    I got my camera mount in! It is going to work great, I just need to finalize a few things before I get it mounted.

I just received my Mud Slingers too! They're perfect. MUCH softer than I thought, those rubber nibs look hard but they're way softer than the Big Joe's lemme tell ya!

Some pics:

Comparison, front has big joes rear is mud slingers

The 1.5" offset Desperados make a huge difference with width:

The new clearance:

All mounted up:

No issues at all with turning radius/rubbing:

Going to find a radio and give'm a spin, see what happens!

They're much heavier than the big joes, almost twice the weight, surprising!

RC Champion
    Looking at that front bumper I realized I no longer had any reason for it to stick out that far!

As per the 3D renders I originally planned on it being spaced like this:

For whatever reason I deviated from that design.

I just tested the tires on the stairs, they work! I can climb my stairs - just had no steering hooked up and the battery was on the ground while I tested. The issue was that the front bumper stuck out too far!

I've adjusted it to this:

The lights I received weren't measured correctly on ebay so I had to position them differently, anyway now I can go right up against a flat surface and the wheels hit first before the bumper. This is key to climbing stairs!

Killer approach angle!