Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post

Any footage of your test Summit!?
    Well it's not actually FPV yet...been having too much fun with it as a crasher.

Sean

RC Champion
    Haha that's too bad, but I agree with the too fun to change it over yet!

As for the case closing, it'll close fine. The highest part on the control side is 3cm and so I've built it accordingly - there are little notches on the inside of the case that the base plate will be mounted to. SO the screen will be flush with the top part, but the bottom will be sunken in 3cm. =)

RC Champion
    I've been looking in to how to properly control the ZOOM IN/OUT FOCUS NEAR/FAR functions, and came up with using a car mirror adjustment knob. After looking at ones from Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Fiat, etc.. I found the perfect one! Chrysler! It's the perfect size, doesn't say MIRROR on it, and is exactly what I needed!

Here's the most recent "version" of the base station:

Clearly I've changed a lot!

I've freed up two extra channels, so now I have 8 "auxillary" channels available: IRNV, Spot Light, Main Lights, etc... - still need to find functions to use haha.

The SCREEN on the bottom is no longer the DVR. The DVR will be buried inside the case, and that screen showing there will be a 3.5" "backup" screen, so that when the batteries are low in the case, I can just turn off the main screen and still have a high quality backup. I COULD have done this with the DVR but it is scary to try and GLUE that to the case, where as this 3.5" high res screen has a lot of hidden surface area making it very easy to mount to the case.

The buttons around the screen are all 3mm momentary push buttons with a 6mm base, making them nice and tiny yet still fully functional. I had to buy a minimum of 100 though ($1.99 in total from China!)

The CAMERA control is four channels: CAM SWITCH, ZOOM IN/OUT, FOCUS NEAR/FAR, and MENU button. I'll be able to go in to the camera's menu remotely and change things like turning on noise reduction, turning on off black and white (for night vision) the type of focus etc... also that Chrysler switch is illuminated from below so I'll be able to replace the faint green led's with some newer "high tech" blue ones hah.

I've added a TEMPERATURE gauge to the case, so that I don't unnecessarily run the fans - and so I can of course keep a check on things. So now I have voltage, temperature, and current. I may make them so that they are MONITOR/OFF/SYSTEM instead of just ON or ON. We'll see.

I've moved the fans to the SIDES of the case. This will help greatly with air flow and freed up necessary space in the case for the 3.5" screen.

The LEFT side of the case will have DC PWR IN and a fan. The RIGHT side willhave Charger Plugs, TX Programming plugs and a fan.

I've removed those red airplane switches (military safety switches) by first on the RIGHT getting rid of it all together, replacing it with a nice black anodized blue-led-ringed power switch. Then on the left, removing it all together as I'm no longer using AC to power the box. By not using AC anymore, I am able to power the case simply off of external batteries, or a wall adapter - pretty simple stuff!

That's it for now, I'm focussed on the actual car now, mounting positions etc... while I wait for the rest of my stuff to come in off the boat, train, car and plane hahah! *cheers

RC Champion
    This new GoPro Hero3 looks pretty awesome, improved low-light and 120fps 720p! I'm currently looking at replacing my dead Hero2 with a new Hero3.

In other news........ still waiting on parts to arrive. Talk about patience :\

RC Qualifier
    This new GoPro Hero3 looks pretty awesome, improved low-light and 120fps 720p! I'm currently looking at replacing my dead Hero2 with a new Hero3.

In other news........ still waiting on parts to arrive. Talk about patience :\

Was about to mention the New GoPro Hero3 to you but see you are already aware of it, looks like a vast improvement over the older model. This one might even get me interested, but see what all you are going threw and figure na not worth it
    Patience has its rewards, most of the time.

RC Champion
    Hahaha! No it's certainly worth looking at. $400 is pretty steep, but there's nothing else out there with the specs that come even CLOSE to being that low-priced.

I threw 12v in to my Hero2's video out and fried it, they sent me a letter suggesting, "That sucks, we want to help, so if you want we'll give you a 50% off coupon to use on our site!" So I've sent off an email saying, "Is there anything I can do to move up to the Hero3?" annnd awaiting a response. IF I get a response I'll probably order one. But I don't really NEED one, it's just that its so purrrdy! Hahah.

I already have 3 cameras anyway.

Wish I had waited a bit longer and got the hero 3 but the 2 is not a bad camera
    At least

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Hahaha! No it's certainly worth looking at. $400 is pretty steep, but there's nothing else out there with the specs that come even CLOSE to being that low-priced.

I threw 12v in to my Hero2's video out and fried it, they sent me a letter suggesting, "That sucks, we want to help, so if you want we'll give you a 50% off coupon to use on our site!" So I've sent off an email saying, "Is there anything I can do to move up to the Hero3?" annnd awaiting a response. IF I get a response I'll probably order one. But I don't really NEED one, it's just that its so purrrdy! Hahah.

I already have 3 cameras anyway.
    3 cameras already, ya but might be able to replace a couple of those with the GP3, hope you get positive feed back and allow you 50% on the new one. Just done poor the juice to it in the wrong port I'm not one to talk, was tired one night and instead of quieting keep going and fried a CCBEC and ESC so know the feeling of really messing something up.

RC Champion
    Yeah that was basically me: Tired and excited to test something! "Three cameras? Sure I'll just make up three servo wires and power'm all!" "Why isn't my gopro workinIIEEOOOHH NOO!!!!" hahaha

The thing is - as I said before I think - my current Hero2 still records fine, it just doesn't work as a live feed anymore. I tried tracing it on the pcbs but I think someone from the future (as in the year 2150) made this camera, it is SO intricate in there I gave up.

The Hero3 would be set to record at 720P 120fps so that I could get allll kinds of cool slomo stuff.

I got my gyro for the camera, and a couple servos.

After hooking it up, it doesn't work quite as I expected. It's TOO sensitive - if I move my hand over it, the breeze my hand creates is enough to activate the gyro. So that means the servo will be running 100% of the time, and just some quick tests without a camera even hooked up, the servos get pretty warm. Kind of a shame, I wanted something that "eased" but this is more an over-sensitive SNAP back and forth. We'll see once I get my other camera case in. I heard back from the gentleman in China regarding that other camera I'm trying to get:

It comes with some cheap 420 tvl camera that I'm going to just replace with my 600tvl zoom cam. There are FOUR IR Arrays, good for over 100meters night vision! So I'm thinking that I'll replace ONE with an insanely bright TAC light (visible light) and the other with either the gopro lens, or... something I dunno haha.

Once I receive that, I can start building the pan & tilt unit based on the dimensions, and if I find any issues or anything while doing that, I'll make the final touches on the design, and next month send it off to be printed/cut so that I can get it back here and build up the whole ground station.

I need to get some other parts in, because I plan on sending ONE design to the laser printer/cutter guys because I'm planning on getting some panels built for the car.. things that will say, "Power On" "Radio In/Out" "Radio 1, 2, 3" etc... perhaps even a logo/name on it!

Its coming together now mate...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Well, I ordered the above camera today!

Also, got this little email:

"Hi James,

Thank you for getting back to us.

If you are interested in purchasing a new HERO3 camera then the discount would be slightly smaller. We can offer you a 40% discount off the Silver or Black Edition only. Or if you would like to proceed with our original offer of 50% off a HERO2 camera then you will need to call in and speak with a support rep so we can help you place the order. "

Sounds pretty awesome to me! These guys must work with Traxxas, because they are just as pleasant to deal with!

The video out is neat now too, it's a combo thing, video out, mic in, and usb in/out! Pretty neat.
    Last edited by krallopian; 10-21-2012 at 05:22 PM.

RC Champion
    STILL.... yes, STILL.. waiting on my power supply to arrive so I can put all this together and test it before I send it off for cutting/printing.

I just received a bunch of other things in the mail today - DCDC converters, Lipo Cutoffs, Switches, Bread Boards, etc... but NO power supply.

I just placed my order for the PunkRC Steering Computer - $3.50 shipping, not bad not bad! It'll be nice to start fabbing something up for that.

I also received my hobbywing motor cooler, it's huge (fits perfectly) it looks liek it'll do great things for cooling the car.

RC Champion
    Still.. waiting... on power supply... EUGH!!

Anyway I just ordered MORE things:

Extra set of shocks (four in total) I plan on doubling up the shocks to compensate for the extra weight. BECAUSE I'm doing this, I also just ordered another 5000mah 4s battery. I will now be running the car in parallel again, 10,000mah 4s in total. Not bad!

Ordered an extra steering setup, bearings and all just incase I mess up the rear steering.

Haven't heard back from PunkRC yet regarding shipping yet - kinda worried.

Ordered wheel spacers - 12mm to help offset the BIG JOES I have.

I have another 3-way switch coming as well, this way when I change cameras, the audio will also change to the camera's respective mic.

I will be powering the FPV system with a full size 5000mah 3s lipo - since I will now have double shock POWER!

I haven't changed the base station design much over the past week, a little tweaking of spacing and positioning here and there, that's about it.

I ordered another gyro today also, the one I got from ebay for $12 .. not sure if it's working right or not, so this other one will be the tell.

I know this build has been going on and on... and on and on and on, but I want to do it right the first time around. It has kept me busy most every day since April, so that's a good thing.. right? :\

I've received my amp meters, my temp meters, volt meters, the new 3.5" dvr screen, all the other various switches and connectors and extensions etc... next step is just prototyping it all, making sure it works, then finally sending off the design to be laser cut and printed. I just don't want to do that until I get the power supply I PLAN on using, so I'm waiting before I go ahead with any testing/building of the prototype. One neat thing, I contacted the supplier and said, "IT HAS BEEN SO LOOONNG" and they sent another one suggesting it was perhaps lost in the mail. So maybe I'll end up with two after all of this heh. It's hard to find a 10amp 12v laptop power supply.

Poor Summit sitting beside me anxious as anything to get out before the snow arrives!!

RC Racer
    wonderfully detailed thread sir - thanks so much, learning so much

RC Qualifier
    Hmm Waiting for power supply so you can finalize everything before sending off for printing, etc. Totally understand that, But how are you ever going to get it done when you keep ordering new things, gadgets or trinkets for the bling affect
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Champion
    Hahah nothing is for bling! :P

The power supply will allow me to prototype the ground station. While building/testing it I'm certainly going to find a few, "Oh crap, I can't do this because of this" situations, which will make me have to change the design. So, once I get the power supply, I can fully test that the design works, and once it DOES, I will send it off for cutting/printing! :P

tachikoma, I'm glad you are learning anything, that's my biggest intention with this thread! Cheers

RC Champion
    So, a little birdy told me that PunkRC isn't really doing much these days. As in, I'm not getting what I paid $70 for as he and another person on this forum haven't and had to open cases on paypal, as I just did 10 minutes ago.

HOWEVER, he also mentioned that there's an alternative. Just as functional, and $20 cheaper AND here in Canada - lucky me.

I've just placed an order on the HeyOK Steering Computer, $50 including shipping. Hopefully paypal gets me my money back sooner than later.

Just a heads up for anyone else looking to do this rear-wheel-steering idea. Not saying that PunkRC product is bad, just that you're not going to get anything from ordering off their site, it would be better to find one on ebay type sites. *cheers

**EDIT**

Don't want to get off topic but here's saying something:

Email Sent at 4:15pm:

"Hey there, I was ordering the punkrc steering computer, but a buddy on the traxxas forum mentioned that that guy is outta business and said, "a buddy of mine found the heyok one, and its awesome!" so.... here I am, it seems awesome, and its cheaper annnnd you're a fellow Canadian!! haha, I'm placing an order, and just wanted to say thanks for what you do! =)"

Then at 4:26PM:

"Thanks for finding me! Happy to help!

Cheers,
    Al"

That's what I'm talkin' bout!
    Last edited by krallopian; 11-02-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: kant spehl

RC poster
    Hi James,

Just caught the last few posts in this thread. Sounds like quite an exciting build! Can't wait to go read it from the beginning!

I'm Al. The guy behind HeyOK Performance that builds custom RC Electronics. Wanted to thank you for placing the order for the four wheel steering controller and for the kind words about dealing with me, and introduce myself. At the same time, I don't want to derail your thread so I will bow out now.

Cheers,
    Al

RC Champion
    Haha awesome!! Good to see you on the forums here Al, I'm sure there's a few folks here who would love to get a hold of your product.. No worry about derailing heh, CHINA POST has done that enough as it is!

When I get the steering computer, lemme TELL YOU BUSTER it better work! Haha jokes. But seriously. :P

Super excited to receive it, hopefully Canada Post will treat me better than my past experiences.

Certainly need a brace for the servo haha
    Last edited by krallopian; 11-02-2012 at 09:00 PM.

RC Champion
    So - like all 4WS setups - I've changed how it all works.

Now I can use the stock bumper mount, and bumper, the mechanics are much more efficient, and the servo saver is protected from rear impact. I went out and bought another set of body post mounts from an E-Revo and it allows for a much sturdier setup for the servo. Currently with only TWO screws holding the servo to the left side of the body post mount, it is more than capable of steering the wheels with very little flex at all. I will build a small bracket to support the other side of the servo, but again - it's hardly even needed thanks to the E-Revo posts.

Full right lock:

Full left lock:

RC poster
    Haha awesome!! Good to see you on the forums here Al, I'm sure there's a few folks here who would love to get a hold of your product.. No worry about derailing heh, CHINA POST has done that enough as it is!

When I get the steering computer, lemme TELL YOU BUSTER it better work! Haha jokes. But seriously. :P

Super excited to receive it, hopefully Canada Post will treat me better than my past experiences.
    ..snip..
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I figured I would be at the end of your thread sooner but I am only at post 161. Jumped up to the end just now to see if you wrote anything I needed to respond to

Just make sure you have good power to run the 4WS controller! Ideally the two steering servos will get their power from a different supply than the receiver. The processor in the 4WS controller likes to see a nice clean 5 to 6 volts.

Back to reading from post 162 onward.

Later!
    Al

RC Champion
    Awesome, sorry there's so much to read!

About the power... the entire FPV system: Cameras, mics, lights, servos etc.. will be powered by a 5000mah 35c 3s lipo. From the lipo will be a CCBEC going to 3 receivers - one of which will have the HeyOK computer connected! Power won't be an issue AND if it is, I have a few more bec's I can just run them individually.

RC poster
    Sounds like you have it covered!

RC Qualifier
    Hope the plastic servo saver hold up for you, but you are not using a monster servo like mine. Clean set up, only possible problem is the one screw supporting the servo saver in plastic. Mine flexes the whole body mount when turning why the use of alum. bracing on mine.
    Eventually will be putting a HeyOK on mine as well. With no more punkrc do not like not being able to get parts in case something fails. Deferentially like the idea of yours feeding the servo only. But am letting Krall check them out first, but am sure it will work out fine. Just hope you will ship to USA.

RC Champion
    Hahaha, more than happy to be the guinea pig for the Traxxas forums! :P

The one screw in the servo saver, seeeeems to be okay so far. I mean there's VERY little torque on it from lock to lock, I'm pretty happy with how it seems to have, "Just worked." The servo I'm using is a 300oz one, so it's more powerful than both the stock front ones combined - should be just fine for turning the wheels without over powering anything.

I just got an order in that I ordered September 22.... 10LED's and one capacitor - instead of 10 caps. Oh well.
    Last edited by krallopian; 11-05-2012 at 12:34 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    Hope the plastic servo saver hold up for you, but you are not using a monster servo like mine. Clean set up, only possible problem is the one screw supporting the servo saver in plastic. Mine flexes the whole body mount when turning why the use of alum. bracing on mine.
    Eventually will be putting a HeyOK on mine as well. With no more punkrc do not like not being able to get parts in case something fails. Deferentially like the idea of yours feeding the servo only. But am letting Krall check them out first, but am sure it will work out fine. Just hope you will ship to USA.
    Yes! I ship everywhere!

Whew! I need a rest or some coffee. Finally caught up and have all the posts read!

James, I included a little extra in with your shipment. It's one of my controllers that lets you use a linear channel or a three position channel to run some lights.

Position 1: All Off
    Position 2: Output 1 On
    Position 3: Outputs 1 and 2 On

In the package I wrote that the outputs are good for about 300mA max, but I just remembered that I'm pretty sure that I used a heavier set of MOSFETs on the outputs so you should be good for at least 5 amps or so.

Not sure if you can use it, but wanted to donate a little something to your huge build!

RC Champion
    Wait, so you've sent me TWO things!? I get the steering controller, and the 3-position switch!? Wicked... I could certainly use that for the lights, basically gives me an extra channel! "Off, Lights, Lights + Spot Light" instead of ch1 for lights, and ch2 for spot light on one of the receivers!

Totally awesome and generous, thanks so much. I'll double check the mosfets if they're visible when it arrives to be certain, but what I'd be driving won't eat up more than 2 amps.

Thanks again! =)

RC Champion
    Woke up this morning and this had arrived in the mail! (An extra $16 shipping.. oh well)

Comparing the sizes between my Hero 2, the new Camera, and the Zoom Cam I'm going to use inside the new camera:

Quickly placed it on the car, just for a scale idea:

After opening it up, I notice the cameras are totally different:

This is how the stock camera fits in the lense:

And drum roll..........................

Here's how the Zoom Cam fits - PERFECTLY:

Comes with a nice top mounted shield:

The trouble is, in all three pictures of this camera on the ENTIRE internet... it hid the fact that there is virtually NO space inside the housing thanks to the IR Array Cooling Fins:

SO:
    Flash lights won't fit inside.
    Modifying will be difficult because the entire unit is thick metal.
    The video transmitter certainly cannot be mounted inside as I had planned due to room.
    The zoom in/out, focus near/far setup will not be able to be mounted inside either due to room restrictions.

I found the dimensions on their website, brought the picture of it in to photoshop, scaled it up, and measured the size of the camera ring, and the IR Array rings. Used that info, and ordered the flashlights I was going to use as they were the exact fit, and the camera ring showed that what I had SHOULD work. I was concerned about height, but fortunately THAT panned out well.

Pretty happy all in all, but upset that I cannot mount the extra gear inside.

The camera that came with the car is a 16mm 1/4 CMOS 420tvl which in English means; Pretty crappy. I MIGHT be able to find a use for it though haha.

Looking forward to seeing this in action...monster idea you have mate ...I have been following your progress; nice .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    You and I both! Thanks for the feedback, I've been following your build too and it's been coming along really nicely! I've ordered spacers (12mm) for the big joes because the rear steering isn't as functional as it should/can be without them - thanks to you I was able to find them! =)

Been working on figuring out how to mount the camera securely and electronically safe... I thought I had limited room in my Pelican Case, but this camera case is even tighter!

I received a few servos in the mail today, bought'm for $2 or so from China a month ago. I'm planning on ripping them apart and just using them as a receiver switch. They are tiny, so I'm not sure what kind of power they can throughput but I'm sure it'll be enough to drive at least some leds or something.

Krall, you should do a "how-to" over in the Alley with those servos...
    I am sure it will be a great reference thread for those that like to tinker.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Krall; found some long hex head screws @ Hobby Etc. They are pretty fast with shipping, but again not sure how good it would be with you in Canada but thought I would pass the info on encase you are still looking for some. Ordered mine on Tuesday and will be delivered on Friday.

RC Champion
    Awesome! I've actually placed an order today for 10 m3 40mm screws, and heading down in a couple hours to pick'm up. It was 1 for a dollar, or 10... for a dollar haha. They're not black though

But it's good info to have, especially in this thread so thanks! =)

Jimmie, I've never visited this.... Alley you speak of! Uh oh, ANOTHER forum to occupy my time with. When I get to it, I'll take pics and throw up a tutorial for sure! *cheers

RC Champion
    So today, I've decided to change the ground station power system.

Instead of having small (thus low capacity) lead-acid batteries in the case, I will instead use lipos, out side of the case.

Originally I wanted to use lipos, but charging them would have been a hassle if I were to try to keep the connectors all clean, and monitor and system powered separately. So TODAY I've decided I'll just have a small case that plugs in to the main case. The small one will hold extra batteries for the car, and also power batteries for the system.

Now I'll have AC in on the case, and DC in on the case, from the smaller one.

When I plug AC power in (it's actually DC, but it's from an AC adapter) it will branch over to the MONITOR and SYSTEM battery leads, thus powering the entire unit. When I plug the DC in from the case using a 4-pin connector, TWO pins will be the monitor battery(s) and two pins will be the SYSTEM battery(s). This way, inside my smaller battery case, I'll be able to run batteries in parallel with each other, and being lipos... they weigh less as bonus!

After doing all this, I've started mulling over the idea of putting the charger in the smaller case also, giving more room on the ground station. I kinda really like the way the charger looks on the main station though we'll see.

RC Qualifier
    a little off topic but hopefully to boost your confidence... i ordered HeyOK's 2 position winch controller for my summit tx. and its been working perfectly for months! and he shipped (to oregon) super fast..

this is a great project and im glad i checked out how the summit forum is doing..

keep up the inspiring work!
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Champion
    Good to hear someone else out there has'm on their Summit too! I have plenty of confidence in Al from HeyOK. He and I have been chattin back and forth on email, and he certainly knows his stuff! He's actually building me a switch, that will allow ONE channel to selectively do 5 things! So instead of using five channels to do ZOOM IN, ZOOM OUT, FOCUS NEAR, FOCUS FAR, MENU. I'm just using one channel, and depending on where the stick is (or in my case which button I press) the receiver will do the correct output! He said it'll cost thousands though, we'll see haha :P

WITH that in mind, and how I'm powering the unit now... I've gone through and made a few tweaks based on the available channels and such.

Newest things are, Camera Pan Select, Camera 2 Pan knob (two moving cameras onboard - camera 2 pan will light up when I select camera 2, showing "use me, use me!") and Mic Select on the camera control side. Also my gyro for keeping the camera steady has a sensitivity adjustment knob, so if I don't want it working I can just turn it all the way down, or turn it up and up and up!

Also, there are sensitivity adjustments AND trim adjustments for both the camera pan and tilt and the car throttle and steering. This way if I'm on the edge of a cliff (unlikely hah) I can turn the throttle sensitivity down to be sure I don't accidentally floor it off the edge.

The monitors are now turned on individually in the MASTER PWR section.

An artifact of the last design is stuck on the power row, "CHRG" because I was going to use that switch to turn on the charger, but have that nice little blue-ringed button to do it instead. Not sure what I'm going to use that button for yet.. thinking, "FAN1" and "FAN2" for lower and bottom, not sure I like that though.

RC Champion
    ** Edit

Somehow I made a double post almost 40 minutes between posts - sorry!
    Last edited by krallopian; 11-12-2012 at 04:33 PM.

RC Champion
    Placed what I believe to be my final Digikey order last Friday evening, and here it is - all $100 of it

That's 35 green leds, 6 red leds, 4 svideo connectors (for the TX programming ports) two banana plugs (for the charge ports) 10 ipex male connectors (for receivers' and transmitters' antennas) and a two 4-pin power connectors.

Yuck!

I've been receiving one or two parts a day for the past few months, and haven't bothered putting pictures of them because it's kind of a waste of posts haha, but now that these are in here I can FINALLY - that's right - FINALLY complete the case design, because now I have the certain/correct power/programming/leds sizes.

RC Champion
    For those following the PunkRC steering stuff - again not trying to bash the product or anything - I received my refund notice from Paypal today:

"Dear James,

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
    favor.

We were able to recover $67.50 USD and this amount has been credited to
    you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
    recover the balance from the seller."

So that's good news! Thanks again to those who pointed out HeyOK as the alternative and suggested immediately that I move with a case on paypal to resolve that issue with the PunkRC computer.

In other news, received some relays today! Aren't they cute?

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    >20,000 views, Congratulations!!

Hey!! what's that American doing amongst all of those Canadians

BTW, being an electronic tech from way back, I would love to see the inside of your pellican and the back of that control panel once it's wired Having repurposed and upgraded manufacturing equipment over the years I can truly appreciate the amount of work you have in store. You have done a massive amount of planning and homework, thanks for sharing
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 11-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods