Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Champion
    Yes, that's correct! The stock ones also wobbled, but not as badly as seen in the videos I've posted of the Big Joes. Now that I have the shims in there, they don't budge at ALL, the ONLY vibration/shake is from the off balance tires/wheels. Something I'll worry about in the future, for now the tires expand so much under acceleration with the 22t pinion that they go from their stock size to over 4" on either side (8" expansion!) so I kinda of want to keep them unbalanced for now to prevent higher speeds haha.

RC Qualifier
    Well looks like you are pretty well set now. How long now before we get to see the finished product? Hopefully less than 6 mo and heaven forbid its another yrs.
    Layout looks great IMO for what its worth LOL
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Champion
    I've been telling myself the end of April is my deadline. That would mark the 1-year anniversary since starting the project. I certainly expect to at least have a running prototype by then at the very least! I need the 3D printer to arrive so I can get some test prints done on both quality and strength and then I'll know how to model everything accordingly. Once I have that done, I'll be able to build a proper support structure for all the gear on the car:

Six Cameras
    Three Receivers
    Walkie Talkie
    Video Transmitter
    Battery Trays
    Theft Deterrent
    Lighting System Day/Night
    Miscellaneous panels

THEN the car will be built and ready for action! The ground station is still in limbo while I wait for those pretty little power buttons so I can verify their size, then I have to do the finalized graphics for the cut dimensions and placement and once they have that and get it done, it's just a matter of me putting it all together and getting it all wired up! Wiring will be a few days worth of work, and the software within will be a couple days to fine tune I'm sure. The design of the truck will change quite a few times but I'm confident I'll be able to move quickly on that front.

Except for the last power buttons, I have every switch, every led, every servo, battery, connector, circuit board, light, motor, you name it... it's come down to the final moment where I pull the trigger on the ground station and FINALLY get the ball moving, and get this truck back outside for some serious tests! I'm really excited about it all.

RC Competitor
    I have been watching this project from the beginning, I wish that I had your skills. I would not be allowed to do something like this over here (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia) anyway. So I accidently seen on here that TODAY is your Birthday. So Happy Birthday to you. I look forward to seeing your project completed, thanks for posting and sharing your knowledge.
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4

RC Qualifier
    Habby Birthday Krall May the force be with you
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Qualifier
    Happy Birthday eh! Keep up the great work, your build is most definitely fascinating Krall.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Champion
    Wow haha awesome, thanks a lot guys!!

Eds you're a nut haha! Switchblade, I used to live in Canmore! 2nd street! I miss the ho, drake and rose & crown everytime I go to a bar!

93 Chevy, Riyadh huh? I hate to hear that the law would prohibit you from doing this, is it because of the radio equipment or is there something else? I've posted almost everything I can in hopes of, "spreading the knowledge" and with over 32,000views I hope a few people have learned a thing or two, it's really great to be able to learn all of this and help others at the same time!!

Thanks again guys.

I received some OTHER switches in the mail today, ones that I totally forgot I ordered over a month ago.... I'm trying my darndest to keep photoshop CLOSED so I don't go in changing the design of the ground station again hahah!

The main drive battery I've been testing with for the past couple months - 4s 5000mah - hasn't been charged ONCE since I charged it the day I got it, and zero puffing so far, and according to my lipo tester it's still in the green.. scared to charge it and scared to not charge it, I've got extras so I'm crossing my fingers.

Stupid question, but does anyone have the EZ-PEAK Plus 6amp and know how to "storage charge" a lipo? I put my battery on to storage charge it and I didn't understand a think when I was going through the menus so I gave up, but before I waste another $40 battery... I might post a thread about it as embarrassing as it is.

Happy belated birthday wishes mate...its all slowly staring to fall into place, NICE!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Oh that's right Happy Birthday! The big 3 0, that's gotta be rough lol just joking

Still looking forward to what that 3D printer can do!
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=krallopian;5458873]

93 Chevy, Riyadh huh? I hate to hear that the law would prohibit you from doing this, is it because of the radio equipment or is there something else? QUOTE]

I think it has something to do with cameras on Airplanes (Drones) and helicopters. The Hero is not available to be shipped here for some reason. But that isn't going to stop me on my Summit someday. I have convinced my wife to buy another Summit for her (in California) so our grandkids can have something to play with while they are visiting her. That will be how I will get started on installing a camera and maybe a FPV system.
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4

RC Champion
    Ah drones is all the talk these days, the ignorance of government officials is scaring the future of this hobby!!

I'm looking forward to seeing any posts if you ever get that FPV build going! =)

Thanks again errbuddy for the birthday wishes!

I just placed an order for the car:

Traxxas Summit CENTER DRIVESHAFT Axle Half Shaft E-Revo
    $6.17 USD 1 $6.17 USD
    Traxxas Summit SKID PLATES & Servo Guards Center(E-Revo
    $8.54 USD 2 $17.08 USD
    Traxxas Summit 85+ SCREWS Kit Bolts Hex E-Revo
    $7.59 USD 1 $7.59 USD
    Traxxas Summit BULKHEADS/HINGE PINS(T-Lock Differential
    $7.12 USD 1 $7.12 USD
    Traxxas Summit TURNBUCKLES /SERVO SAVER /PUSHRODS & ROCKERS Tie Rods/Toe Links
    $15.67 USD 1 $15.67 USD
    Traxxas Summit CHASSIS & BATTERY COVER LIDS & LINKAGE
    $13.29 USD 2 $26.58 USD
    Traxxas 1/10 E-Revo Brushless * AXLE CARRIERS & BEARINGS * 5334R 5180(3.3 Summit
    $18.04 USD 1 $18.04 USD

$100 worth of parts, annnnnd $75 shipping yuck. Instead of going to my LHS I bought online because most of the parts come with all of the bearings and screws etc... if I ordered these parts individually I'm sure I'd miss something.

Either way, two new chassis to play with putting them together and having a proper 4ws. If it doesn't work out, then I've just got a bunch of extra parts, but I'm just hoping it does work out hah.

I also got some axle carriers to make it easier to balance the wheels, I've seen somewhere that someone used an axle carrier to mount the wheel too and spin it to balance it, I think this'll work out well!

The order probably won't ship until next week, but that's OK.

RC Champion
    Haven't received my parts yet for building the new chassis, but I've spent the last few days researching 2.4ghz range boosters.

I want to use 2.4ghz instead of switching to one of those massive antennas used for 35mhz and 72mhz systems (long range systems) or switching to one of those $300-450 UHF systems that promise 40+ km range. The trouble with 2.4ghz is that it doesn't have the GREATEST range. Your wifi units are all 2.4ghz, the same frequency used by our remotes but at only half the power or less. There is an entire market out there for BOOSTING wifi strengths from 50mw to 500mw, or 1000mw or even 5000mw and beyond! SO guess what would work just fine for boosting our 2.4ghz radio's range? A wifi booster!

I've been looking at getting three of these:

Pardon the random Google image result, but it shows a "Sunhans 2.5watt booster" which translates to over 25x more power than our radios transmit with!

I'm going to mount three of these (for my three 6-channel radios) to the BACK of my ground station and have the antennas come straight off the top of them. There will be a little interface for both power and antenna connections just below them.

One thing I forgot to take in to account when I switched my controls from the base of the case to the lid of the case, was that the ANTENNAS would no longer fit correctly because of the recessed screen panel. That will no longer be an issue with the antennas mounted on the boosters, coming out of the back of the case.

This amount of power (7.5watts in total) will eat away at my ground station battery reserve a liiitttllee bit quicker, but the range increase will be more than worth it. I'm hoping this will allow me to go behind slightly bigger hills, and through more house/tree obstacles without losing connection to my car. At $60 a piece it certainly beats the insane cost per UNIT of UHF expanders, but is still putting me upwards of yet ANOTHER $200 order! Hahah, this project is eating me out of house and home! =D

RC Champion
    You may ask why my work space smells of burned electronics, and it's BECAUSE I just fried a $20 cam switcher. EUGH.

I plugged "TO RECEIVER" to a 12v source, instead of 6v and POP SMOKE, STINK, AHH HOT!

I'm testing out my 3-Switch 3-Way Cam switcher!

Three switchers in total, two with three cameras hooked up.

The way it works is I have three switches in total, one master one that switches between the two others, and each of the two others can be switched from the rx. The picture above shows the RX getting powered by a BEC, and using THREE channels (one to each video switch) I select a channel on any of the three switches. So the MAIN switch selects between switch one or two, and each of THOSE switches selects between cameras 1,2,3 or 4,5,6. The mistake I made was hooking up the 12v camera system in to the RX in of one of the switches, instantly letting the smoke out of the micro.

Either way, I have other switches and have made it work exactly as expected! It's nice to switch between 6 cameras. I'm testing this all out on my "battery backup" screen, the small one in the ground station and it's.... kinda wicked!

You knooooww... after looking at the quick drawing, I realize I could do this with just TWO channels! Hook both the slaves up to ONE channel and the master to another, freeing up a channel for something else. Iiiiiiiiiinterestink.

RC Champion
    I've decided I am certainly going to go with TWO channels to operate the three cam switches.

Spent the day doing various tests and improvements on the hardware side of things. Using an old display board (used in emergencies in mines in Chile) I hooked up six buttons to a 20pin micro and wrote the software for the camera switches. As explained in the above post, there are TWO slave cam-switchers that each have three cameras on them, and one master that switches between each slave. The buttons are programmed as: Camera 1,2,3 are on master 0v, and camera 4,5,6 are on master 5v with each camera at 0,2.5 and 5v.

Here's a video of the test board working after jacking in to a surface mounted micro:

The actual Micro arrived in the mail today, this is the new BRAIN of the entire ground station:

Among other things, I almost melted my video transmitter, "what's that smell?? OH CRAP!" and killed all sound transmission by putting a 28pF cap in parallel with the audio line (I need a 15 but don't have any, will just put another 28 in parallel and bring it down to 14) because the factory Lawmate 1000mW guys have their audio over driven big time. That's for tomorrow though, I need to go find some breakfast now!

RC Champion
    Wrote most of the program, just have to work on the INTERNAL/EXTERNAL joystick switching.

I just picked THESE guys up in the mail:

My radios transmit at 50mW according to their spec, these boosters are 2500mW. Slightly more range out of my 2.4ghz radios now!

Those three units will sit on the BACK of the case, and the antennas will be stored in the battery case when transporting. They arrived quickly, now I just need all my SMA adapters to arrive so I can get some tests in hah.
    Last edited by krallopian; 04-04-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Wrong picture link

RC Champion
    A bunch more testing today has led to this mess on my desk:

I also removed the old heatsink from my 1.2ghz 1000mW Lawmate video transmitter.

With the old "design" it was 4cm high:

With the new setup it's just about 2.5cm high:

Ain't she purdy?

Temps are slightly higher now than they were with the larger heatsink with a larger fan, but they're still about 30-35°c throughout the unit (without a HS/F it would melt itself.)

RC Champion
    I didn't receive my printer on the 5th of April as planned. I emailed them and received, "Yes, sorry about that, it is expected to ship April 17th" ................... SHIP the 17th!? EUGH. So much for my END OF APRIL prototype.

I just came in from a bunch of speed runs - it's faaast - and for the FIRST time drained my battery right down. For the past few months I always do a bunch of tests, then charge it up again before the battery is depleted. Today I put a lipo alarm on it, and started hearing it BEEEP BEEEEP BEEEEP under throttle, and within 30 seconds, the ESC (MMP) low voltage kicked in and killed the power. I was able to do three more speed passes before the battery was almost useless. Cutting it kind of close I think, going to need to set the alarm a little higher for when I'm far away!

The motor and esc were barely warm to the touch, and for the first time.. the battery was slightly warm too - I don't like warm lipos, even though that's how they work (optimum operating temp for a Lipo is about 125f across the board)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I hear ya on the warm LiPo...
    On my MERV, right about ambient... 88 consistently available amps on a 60 amp power system.
    On my Summit, never above ambient... 304 consistently available amps on a stock power system.
    On my Boss, slightly above ambient... 72 consistently available amps on a 60 amp power system.
    On my new RC, the MT4... 200 consistently available amps on a 150 amp power system and the battery comes out of the RC at ~100°F after a hard 20-30 minute bash running 5S in ~45°F weather. I will be watching it quite close once the weather warms up, that is for sure.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Haha and would you look at this:

After it being "dead" I put it on charge at 1c - 5amps 14.4v

Technically that should take an hour and what do you know it took an hour to put 5000mAh in to it! Looks liek the battery was dead, but more so that it holds more than 5000mAh!

I have found that most packs do hold more than their stated capacity... I have done a few tests on that.

jonesdallas
    Ive noticed the extra mah in packs before too. The stock 3000 nimh have recieved 3400mah in a charge from my onyx 245 before. They were dead beyond dead that charge.

jonesdallas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    On my new RC, the MT4...
    Im a lil jelious... this is probably my next rc. Still deciding between the mt4 and the e-mta.

RC Champion
    I ordered something on the 7th from HongKong through eBay, and it arrived this morning. Yet my order from 400miles south has yet to arrive in 20 days. Frustrating! The package I received today was 100 male to male servo connectors - now I'll never run out while testing/building!

I've yet to receive my SMA adapters/connectors though so I still can't decide whether or not I'm putting the 2.4ghz boosters inside the case, or mounting them to the back for sure.

For now, this is how the case sits in photoshop waiting to be shipped off:

RC Competitor
    Lookin good! I can't wait for you to get this thing finished, it's gonna be AWSOME!!! I still have no idea how you're doing all this but you tend to explain things really well so I can follow along without feeling to dumb! HA HA
    Castle rustler, stampede, merv, summit,and an s-10

RC Champion
    Hahah, glad you can follow along! Nah, it's really not too crazy though.

The microchip really adds to the next level of it all though, really completing it as a ground station. THAT stuff takes experience/knowledge and I'm fortunate enough to be able to get all my answers from my father who is more than excited to be able to help out with any of this. Of course I want this to be a one man - me - project, but it is only getting better with his input as well as his technical/electronic abilities! Heck if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't even KNOW about these laser cutting guys haha!

I have a movie, some beer and M&M's on one side of me, and all my gear on my other side - tough decision right now! =D

Hopefully tomorrow I get some goodies in the mail and can get some videos up of range tests!

RC Champion
    Certainly no videos today. Can't even open my car door to get the mail - there's almost an inch of ice on everything... power has been on and off all day. Eek.

One of those, "Ah well, power's out.. I'll go solder up all those... wait a second.. ah well I'll charge my batter... waaaiit a second" days.

RC Champion
    Instead I've got a finalized program for the camera select switch. Again a bit of a trick to switch between six cameras using only two channels, nothing magic but to do it with momentary push buttons that have led's that make something beep that switch between each feed, enabling a pan & tilt joystick.. there's a micro in there now hah.

In the video I reference the blue and red buttons, and the joystick for the pan & tilt green led, all of which is shown in this picture:

RC Champion
    All kinds of updates in regards to products received.

I got one of my cameras in the mail today.. it's reversed and black and white. What a waste.

I got my parts from dollarhobbyz but important parts were missing so I can't get the car build done until I receive them, they shipped out the missing parts free the other day.

I got my steering servos in, but they sent the wrong ones - 40 days - they are all 360° servos from eBay and they want me to pay for new ones, I'm losing my mind on them.

HOWEVER, the computer is completely finished. The switch gates for the internal/external soft button joystick setup is completed.

My wifi boosters and power cables and adapters are all here, I just need to do a bunch of testing on that... 50mW boosted up to 2500mW should be an increase!

My heatsink and fan setup on the lawmate is complete, 25x50mm heatsinks with 25x25 fans arrived.

All I need to do now that I have everything for the ground station is walk in to the laser guys and say, "here are the files, lets go!" Kind of excited, though I won't be doing that until next week.

ALLLSO....... made up a signal range display for my osd!

It says 100% up close, and the further away you go it falls down to 0% and then loses link. I think that's a first... kinda cool seeing it drop from 95% to 60% just by putting your hand on the antenna when beside the car. Or walking through my entire house and watching it go from 100% to 45-50%.

For those interested I took an RSSI packet pin from the A7105 chip on the radio receiver, and pumped it out to a custom board that filters everything but the actual RSSI noise level, then boosts it and inverts it and then I drive that directly in to the RSSI input of my OSD annd presto it works! I'll get video of that up here in due time - it's purdy darned cool!

RC Champion
    3D Printer is at the front door!!

Also, just finished building the second front end. What a JOB holy crap I had no idea... I certainly have all the parts I need though, it came together very well - one or two screws are a mm short or mm long here and there though heh.

I'm pretty certain I'm just going to cut them both in half and join with some long flat bars of aluminum through each battery tray along the inside bottom and inside side of the trays.

RC Champion
    I made one test print with the 3D printer, and it worked out incredibly well! I then made my own object for size testing and BLAMO it blew up. One of the motors died I say, they say something else. They're sending me an entire new printer now.

Those two chassis are still on the ground beside me. Life has taken over for the past month, with all the delays I finally said, "I need to get back to focusing on life for a bit" as a year passed with me waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting!

IN A SHORT WHILE, this will be my primary focus again.

My desk is a disaster full of parts - connectors, cameras, switches, wires, fans etc...

I ordered 4 steering servos as I explained - SM-S4315M (230oz each) and will use two in the front and two in the rear ~450oz torque steering - much stronger than stock and the servos only cost $13 each. I've had one that I've done a LOT of testing with, and they are super servos - analogue too, so no crazy twitching/buzzing the whole time.

I ordered a mini camera, but it arrived as an ipod cable.. first burn on ebay!

Try contacting the eBay'r... I have found that when this happens to me it is a simple mistake. My email usually goes something like this: "I think you may have sent me the incorrect item. I purchased ________ and received a _________. How would you like to resolve this issue?" Most of the time they just send out the correct item and eat the miss sent item.

Bummer on your 3D printer... at least they are taking care of the issue.

RC Champion
    Yeah they've been great to deal with! Certainly a positive.

As for the eBay item, the user is no longer a part of ebay, I sent an email and they said they'll resolve it, I'm not worried it was $20.. funnier than anything really! Didn't need the camera either, it was just to test with.

RC Champion
    Sssssssssso, I've received my REPLACEMENT 3D Printer: Cube X.

It TOO is having issues.

Unbelievable. I placed the order THREE MONTHS ago and still have yet to print anything for this project!

This time there are issues with the cartridges being read incorrectly, and some other minor things. Uh yi yi, it's almost JUNE and I still have no working vehicle!

Just wanted to give an update: Not dead, just dead-tired of waiting.

What a journey it has been watching your project unfold...Nice!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Do you know the website shapeways.com?
    I missed the part where you say what you want to print.... But they specialize in cheap 3d printing and they seem good. I have a project coming for my summit and that's where I'm gonna print my stuff
    ... for the fun of excess!

RC Champion
    Yeah they've done some great things for folks! A few times - other forums - I've seen where they sent something built in MM instead of CM and vice-versa, and after waiting a week for a part to find out it's wrong, and wait another week or longer and get what you wanted but find THAT is still wrong based on one little thing or another... no thanks. They work great for prefab stuff though and I've recommended them to quite a few folks! =)

Having your own printer - when it works - really speeds up the prototyping process and I bought this thing for other reasons having my car as a side benefit! Again though if you only want one or two parts, shapeways and others like them are certainly the way to go!

RC Champion
    Just an update for anyone following along:

It's almost JULY! I just received some replacement parts for my 3D printer - which STILL hasn't been working - and they didn't make a difference. Very long process, will phone them later.

I took a road trip, Toronto down to Tampa Florida. Hit all the major cities along the eastern US through about 10 states, what a trip that was. Got back and saw the DISASTER of parts and components all around my desk. Checked all my batteries and they are all within 3.8-3.85v per cell, so far so good just sitting there all this time with no use.

I really want to get back to work on the project but there are so many things to do and so many ways to go about them. I really just want to get this 3D printer back up and running so that I can start SOMEWHERE and stick to it.

On a side note, it's nice to finally have everything on my eBay list marked as, "shipped and received" no more checking the mail box every morning hoping for a new switch or connector or fan or driveshaft hahah.

The project is not DEAD, I'm just taking it very slowly.

*cheers

RC poster
    Thank god that you posted something. I almost thought you did quit the project :')
    Keep up the good work

Greetings from the Netherlands.

RC Champion
    Thanks for joining to post MERV_Horst! Sorry I haven't updated yet STILL!

I can't believe how quickly time is flying by!!

I've got the 3D printer up and running - FINALLY - and it works great! Parts print out almost EXACTLY as I imagine they should, and they are VERY strong, as in VERY VERY strong! I'm pleased.

I have been swamped with other projects recently, but this little baby has managed to keep priority above all the others as all five of my desks are still covered in cameras, batteries, connectors, switches, wires, gps, remotes, you name it!!

I have been most recently busy with this little girl:

Picked'r up a month ago almost, and been working on everything from all the gaskets, to exhaust, to interior and audio!

Takes slightly more in the financial department to work on that project though, so I'm getting really excited to get back to work on my FPV Summit project! Dual chassis, 4ws, 6 cameras, massive boosted signal strengths, gps, 50mph, man I forgot about how much I was doing!!

Again I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near where I was without everyone's kind words and support, so thanks again and see ya soon! =)

RC Qualifier
    Still keeping an eye on this lol, keep up the good work!
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish