RC Qualifier
    "The first FPV Summit with a crane"
    If the FPV was cool... Is a lot better with a crane lol
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    geez i have been watching this thread for a while and i must say for one your computer graphics are pretty good looking. i wanna learn to do that myself. and i also must say that i thought that you saying you were gonna have 3 cameras is insane (in a good way) but a crane geez this is probably gonna turn into a military tool prototype in anytime XD i think it sure would be faster then what they have right now. and handle better too.

RC Champion
    Haha yeah this crane idea is pretty exciting for me. It SHOULD be referred to as a, "Manipulator Arm" as that's really what it is, I need to stop saying crane.

It's hilarious, when it comes to military stuff. There's a tmaxx vehicle out there, with a basic platform and controls on it selling for over $100,000 and Nasa took it and changed the controls to an xbox controller and wifi for secure video and control. That's insane, $100,000 for something that costs $1500 to make!?!? I'm buying all kinds of equipment I don't need for this unit so the price will probably total $3000 at the end of it all, but even still.... not bad, making $97,000.00 per unit!

The stock suspension won't be strong enough to support everything so that's going to be a quick hurdle to get over when the time comes.

Using three cameras almost isn't enough! But it'll have to be haha. I'd LIKE to have one on the arm itself, one looking at the arm, another for FPV main driving, another for rear. But because I have pan and tilt, I'll be able to have just a REAR mounted, ARM mounted, and Pan and Tilt so that I can look anywhere I want. Three IS enough, but more is always more fun!

I dropped the carbon fiber stuff off at the printers today to see if they can do a quick test with how to print to it, hope to hear back either tomorrow or Monday.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm first thing I wonder when I see manipulator arm is what are you wanting to pick up or carry? Other than kinda wonder if Krall is building a prototype for NASA's next Mars mission! Wow from just wanting a camera mounted in your summit to a full blown
    Remote RV for NASA hmm or Military.
    Oh and when he first started said it would be simple so anyone would be able to do it, but who has 3G's laying around to put into RV.
    Still
    Last edited by Edstoys; 08-17-2012 at 01:19 AM.

RC Champion
    The manipulator arm is more of a, "if needed" rather than "main focus" but I have to put a lot of attention in to it, I don't want a basic arm, too simple imho.

As for 3g's... to do this all you need is:

OSD: $35 (I picked the $200 one)
    Two Radios: $50 (I picked $100 ones, and ordered two more for the crane)
    Basic DVR + Screen: $65 (I picked $180 one + $200 screen)
    Video TX/RX: $35 (I picked $140 one)
    Camera(s): $30 each (I got two of those, and a $300 go pro)
    Then the car of course.

Pretty cheap! HOWEVER I ALSO....... picked up $250 worth of switches and buttons and connectors. Included my $100 EZ Peak Plus charger... got a video splitter, sound system, night vision, GoPro, etc.. so *MY build is very expensive, but to make an FPV with the basics, no problem doing it for under $225!

RC Qualifier
    lol holy crap, this is getting really intense krall, how are you rockin the night vision?
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    The manipulator arm is still kinda scaring me because I'm afraid what will HAPPEN is this:

Turn it on, and ALL The servos zero themselves. Suddenly the entire arm rotates in every direction, AT ONCE. Servos don't like being, "out of bounds" and when the arm rests - when it's off - and I apply power to it, I think they will all go FULL rotation until they find ZERO. And what's unfortunate is, I can't try this until I shell out the money for the servos.

Either way, the night vision is from these IR leds:

Left one is top, right one is bottom view. There is a photo sensor there as well that will prevent them from being on during the day. If I turn night vision on and it's dark, they will light up, but if I then drive in to the day light, they will automatically turn off. They are being controlled via one of the rc-lights receiver switches.
    Last edited by krallopian; 08-17-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Info

RC Champion
    I've just FINALLY sourced a proper/affordable camera pan and tilt joystick!!

This is perfect, I was really worried about how I was going to securely mount my playstation'esque joystick to the panel! THAT joystick in the picture above, IS panel mount. It's the CORRECT way to do this, I've been looking everywhere and they were all $140+ and shipped from China/Japan or something far away. This one is costing me just over $20!

Depending on how it works out, I might order a couple 3 or 4 function joysticks for the manipulator arm. Left Right/Up Down/Twist LeftRight and a button.

So for instance, to move the base part up, I'd pull the joystick backwards, the push it down, I'd push the joystick forwards, to rotate it left or right, I would push left or right, and then to rotate the actual grabber... I could twist the joystick left or right, and then to operate it, I could press the button! Then another joystick for the second arm and third arm, only they would be up and down, or up and down (no side to side on them) Hope this isn't too confusing. POINT IS, I've finally found what I was looking for for the past few months, and it's on it's way up here from Kansas.

Like a bank, you only need it Sunday night.. where in this case, I've ordered but on Friday afternoon Probably won't see these items until August 27th. I also ordered some header pins, ABS plastic sheets and a ball bearing platform for the manipulator arm to mount to.

Last edited by krallopian; 08-17-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Spaghetti and meat balls

RC Qualifier
    A lot better for control the camera.
    Nice!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Nice find man, glad to see it too.. if anyone wants to do this, it's all here

I want to pretty bad but I'll have to see how it goes in the next 2 1/2 months
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    SO on August 14th I ordered from *********, and it STILL hasn't shipped my remotes or battery. "Processing..." EVERYONE online has said, "yeah takes a month" so I ordered from "In Stock: USA Warehouse" apparently paying an additional $35 doesn't make a DIFFERENCE at all. Very annoyed. I also ordered from Servocity, THEY still haven't shipped. What the heck is going on here.... since WHEN do people take your money for an order and simply NOT ship anything!?

To be fair with servocity I ordered and waited 4 days, and said, "Uh.. hello??? Have you shipped yet? If not I want to add this to the order" and that has been the last 2 days and still no shipping. I mean I'm used to getting stuff OVER NIGHT from the states for $8 from digikey.. waiting 5-10 days before it's even SHIPPED to then wait an additional 10-15 days, this is driving ME and the guys who I've asked to do the laser cutting insane!

I had to rant somewhere, facebook doesn't cut it! Hah.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have had this happen before... a few minutes with online support got my order moving along. Seems it was a technical glitch?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Yeah we'll see. Servocity got back to me and said my order will be shipped today. Should be any minute now I get an email saying so. As for hk....... I need to receive to parts so that I can move ahead with testing so that I can finalize my case design so that I can get it printed/cut so that I can get it built so that I can drive for a least one week before the snow comes back! Haha.

I made an order yesterday... shipped out today.
    (have another radio on the way; with support equipment/parts)

RC Champion
    From the same place as me? MAN that is frustrating.

Servocity sent me confirmation, it'll arrive end of day August 27th. Eugh. Hopefully by then my other order will have shipped.

I am getting pretty upset with this waiting game, I find myself sitting here hitting refresh refresh refresh on both this forum and facebook.

It was NOT my intention to frustrate you. lol

I ordered some header pins of eBay too... hopefully the new GTX radio is hackable like the GT3B's.

RC Champion
    Hahah you better not have! Hahah no I knew that :P

The one good thing about the extra time is that it's given me a lot of time to sit back and reflect what I want to be able to do.

I've decided to move away from the handheld remote all together, and instead incorporate the entire thing in to the ground station itself.

You can see there that I now have camera tilt and pan on one joystick, and the car gas/brake/left/right on the right controller. Now I'll be able to drive the car, WHILE controlling the camera, instead of putting the remote down to then pan/tilt. Also using my other two knobs, I've setup a differential selector and a gear selector. Going to need some tricky tricks to make the led's light up, but it'll be cool I think. I only ordered 10 blue led's, and I only have 5 red ones (panel mounted, with nice bezels and all) but I still need to make another order from digikey to get some extra antennas for the new remotes anyway.

So ya.
    Last edited by krallopian; 08-22-2012 at 01:20 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Krall,
    I think the delays/waiting have allowed you time to think through each part/function you add. Each addition looks truly integrated and thought out, not just "tacked on". It's interesting to just browse thru this thread and just look at how your base station has evolved. Mad props to you!!
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Champion
    Wow, thanks a lot Mayberry! I just went through the whole thread myself, and there's 4 months worth of development in this thing, holy moly.

Good news on the joystick front:

Windsor, ON, Canada 08/22/2012 2:46 Package data processed by brokerage Waiting for clearance
    Lenexa, KS, United States 08/22/2012 1:04 Arrival Scan
    Wichita, KS, United States 08/21/2012 21:40 Departure Scan 08/21/2012 21:00
    United States 08/21/2012 17:54 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Shows that within only a few hours, it's gone from Kansas to Windsor Ontario! It's only 4.5hrs south of me right now! I don't see how it can take an entire week to get 4.5 hrs north!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Wow, thanks a lot Mayberry! I just went through the whole thread myself, and there's 4 months worth of development in this thing, holy moly.

Good news on the joystick front:

Windsor, ON, Canada 08/22/2012 2:46 Package data processed by brokerage Waiting for clearance
    Lenexa, KS, United States 08/22/2012 1:04 Arrival Scan
    Wichita, KS, United States 08/21/2012 21:40 Departure Scan 08/21/2012 21:00
    United States 08/21/2012 17:54 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Shows that within only a few hours, it's gone from Kansas to Windsor Ontario! It's only 4.5hrs south of me right now! I don't see how it can take an entire week to get 4.5 hrs north!
    The game of wait.
    The most boring game on the world.
    I think you need a bit of patience.
    At least the package is on transit.
    Looking nice!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah the waiting game... I realized this morning after checking, that it says "Windsor Ontario, BROKERAGE" not "border" so that means it was cleared to come here not actually here as it's now in Missouri. Ah well.

I just ordered two more orders from Hong Kong:

Temperature Switches (turns fan on automatically at 80c - I'll mount this to the hottest part in the case)
    Mini Switches
    More Rotary Switches
    Power Receptacle - so that when I plug in the case, I can still plug something else in as well - like an extension cord kinda deal.
    USB to UART TTL (to program my new remote controls... $2.50 for the circuit)
    10 more rotary knobs - the small ones.

Total is about $40, and shipping is all free.

So NOW..... I'm waiting on those parts, two remotes, three joysticks (the camera controllers) and my laser cutting guys to get back to me. Once I get the joy sticks and remotes, I'll know exactly what I'll want to do with the second smaller case, finalize the graphics once and for all............. and get the unit built. So seeing that I just placed an order, and it takes 15-20 days for that stuff to get here, this project won't be done for another month however by the 27th I'll have what I need to finalize the graphics.

Waiting game continues.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah the waiting game... I realized this morning after checking, that it says "Windsor Ontario, BROKERAGE" not "border" so that means it was cleared to come here not actually here as it's now in Missouri. Ah well.

I just ordered two more orders from Hong Kong:

Temperature Switches (turns fan on automatically at 80c - I'll mount this to the hottest part in the case)
    Mini Switches
    More Rotary Switches
    Power Receptacle - so that when I plug in the case, I can still plug something else in as well - like an extension cord kinda deal.
    USB to UART TTL (to program my new remote controls... $2.50 for the circuit)
    10 more rotary knobs - the small ones.

Total is about $40, and shipping is all free.

So NOW..... I'm waiting on those parts, two remotes, three joysticks (the camera controllers) and my laser cutting guys to get back to me. Once I get the joy sticks and remotes, I'll know exactly what I'll want to do with the second smaller case, finalize the graphics once and for all............. and get the unit built. So seeing that I just placed an order, and it takes 15-20 days for that stuff to get here, this project won't be done for another month however by the 27th I'll have what I need to finalize the graphics.

Waiting game continues.
    ...And never end...

I was looking those temperature switches for my watercooling project.
    Where you get them?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Sent you a PM with the ones I got! =)

RC Qualifier
    Sent you a PM with the ones I got! =)
    Ok, thanks for the help!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    My parts from Kansas arrived today (joysticks, and other things) annnd after paying $40 shipping, I still owe another $46 on arrival. SO ANNOYING, SO SO SO annoying. Primarily because my visa is tapped out from OTHER orders, so I couldn't even receive the order today. I need to go get cheques from the bank, so that tomorrow I can write a cheque when UPS returns.

$80 in parts, $86 in shipping and still took over 10 days from when I ordered it. Insane.

That is insane shipping costs... insane!

RC Qualifier
    Will have to agree on the shipping being out of sight.......did you order under any ASAP; such as 3 day air or anything of that kind. IF not I would be REAL tempted to not even open the package until I called an talked with someone about that much for shipping. Of course you being like myself if that is the only place you could find those parts, you will fume, say a few choice words and accept it.

RC Qualifier
    $86 for shipping???
    A package from USA to here is like $20 to $40 Max, $60 in specials cases, but normally never more than $80...
    That's weird...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Yup, same. Stupid border fees get me though. Turns out I paid only $20 shipping for this package, but then to get it from the border to here was another $46. Stupid!

What gets me most annoyed is that it's only 1 day faster than FREE shipping from China. FREE from 12,500km away, or $65 from 2000km away. Makes sense to me.

I recently sent a radio out to a buddy in Brazil. Most folks won't ship direct to him so he sends stuff to me and I repack it so it is lighter and better protected. Anyway, the used Futaba was $151 on eBay... cost $53 to ship insured... customs charged $247 in fees upon pickup.

RC Champion
    Wow! THAT is insane. I think I spoke to that guy? Sorta kinda anyway.. heh, 12 hours from now I'll have my joysticks for the case and can finally find out if they're going to work out for me.

Yeah... it was Ed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Yeah... it was Ed.
    Are you real sure about the Name Ed ? Name tho

Eduardo Almeida Da Silva to be exact.

RC Champion
    These things are even prettier in reality!

For what I paid $20 each, most of the internet has for over $100, and for what I paid $35 for (the 3axis with a button) the majority of the internet is selling for over $200. So what you're looking at is $400 worth of joysticks, that I paid $75 for! Going to go wire one up to the TQ and see if it's ranges are the same. Here's hoping!

Hooked it up, and it works pretty good! The end points are slightly off... I move the joystick about 75% and that's full steering. I know you can adjust end points somehow, but I'll look in to that later, point is... it works! Couldn't get a video though cause the batteries are dead in the truck, I moved about 4 feet.. fixed the mesh, tried again ..... dead batteries hahaha. NOW I have to rebuild the charger that I took apart! Eugh

Last edited by krallopian; 08-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice!!!
    I think it worth the money and the time.....
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC poster

Awesomeness!!!

WOW just WOW!!

Awesome work so far! Really, really well done. This is my first post -I'm a noob- and I had to create this account because I just wanted to congratulate you so far!! Stupendous work! I can't wait to see it all finished!!
    I just recently became interested in RC trucks by Traxxas, the Summit 1/10 being my vehicle of choice, although I still am saving up to buy it.

I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this thread -thank you very much!!

Well, all the best!!

RC Champion
    Hiya Sinus, first welcome to forums!! This place is awesome, so many friendly/helpful/ingenious people here and it's very active!

I'm happy to have given you a reason to sign up, I'm flattered you did it just to reply to my thread! This is why I've been working on this, so that in the future whenever anyone looks up any info about 1/10 FPV, or Summit FPV, or FPV gear or trials etc.. this'll be a wealth of information of "do's & don'ts" haha.

As an update:

Now that my batteries are charged up, I threw'm in the Summit and tried the controls for about 5 minutes. VERY touchy. However again, 80% of the physical movement makes up 100% of the Car function, so I'm thinking I'm just going to throw a 1k resistor in line and that should even out the resolution of the new joysticks.

It's really tough holding the joystick, the handheld tx, the antenna, AND using it all at the same time haha, but so far it's looking like it's all going to work great.

Still waiting on my two 6-ch radios from the states, then I'll know how well they will react and might just use THOSE radios with these new joysticks. We'll see, and I'll update as soon as there's something else to post!

And thanks again Sinus! =)

RC poster
    Hello again mate,
    Thanks for the warm welcome! You really set a fine example.
    How I wish I had the time to pursue a project like yours! I'm in medschool so really tight on free time. As it is, most if not all of my colleagues don't even bother with anything other than their books, but I like to keep things interesting. Alas, I reckon I never will get to partake on such an interesting and enjoyable project. Perhaps next year after I graduate, I just might get enough time away from my books to relax and do so. Fingers crossed!

Because of my schedule and other work, I usually don't go online on weekdays but lately I just had to get away from my studies to take a breather. I've never owned such large RC trucks/vehicles before. I just stumbled upon a couple of videos about the Summit on youtube and was simply hooked. Had a hard time believing they packed in a 2-speed transmission with controllable diffs in RC cars!!...guess I've been living under a rock for quite sometime. I've watched and read reviews about the Summit and I can barely wait to get my hands on one. Thanks to the exorbitant custom duties here, it'll cost me approx $890 with fast shipping from Amazon. Ouch! Ah well can't say I'm not excited. The only question on my mind is whether it's justifiable for someone like me with very limited free time to own an RC vehicle that demands quite a bit of attention? Will I do justice to the enormous Summit? I can't really say. Here in lies my dilemma -that I'll purchase the Summit and it'll end up lying unused and rusting away...

I'll definitely follow through till you finish up the work you started, I may not be "active" regularly but I'll try. I'll pop into here whenever I can. Haha...cheers and once again all the best!

P.S won't be online anymore till the weekend maybe. Yes, I know, sounds terrible. But have a lot of catching up to do because of the impromptu break I just took for the past few days.

RC Champion
    Just received my two radios and 5000mah 3s lipo.

Very excited! Going to quickly test'm out in the car. I have to modify all the leads from the Summit though, they have that little n00bieNub on them to prevent them from being placed backwards.

The radios are impressive, 6 channels and all 6 are proportional!