Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Qualifier
    Wow it looks better!!
    Now the next challenge is the assembly of the base station.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Booooo!!

lol jokes , I can't wait to see it in action man
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    Yeah BUILDING it is all I'm waiting for hah.

I just got back from another day of shopping and picked up the following:

Two cameras (480TVL with night vision) bunch of connectors, adapters, couple fans, some braided wire loom, another battery, led holders and a universal adapter for my DVR cause it came with a stupid Chinese plug not North American.

RC Qualifier
    If you bought everything you say, i can't imagine your wish list.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Haha my wish list is post #15 on page 1, but I've spent a bit more on switches and buttons and the like haha. About 4x as much oops.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Camera: 299
    32gb SD Memory 30
    VTx/VRx 135
    Battery 35

is $563 already after taxes, holy CRAP. Don't ask me this question ever again, because I still have to make a base ground station hahaha, TV, batteries, switches, volt meters, connectors, uh yi yi, probably another $100 before I'm done.

HOWEVER this could be done for FAR less, ie:

cmos camera $15
    vtx/vrx $45
    lead acid batteries for screen and receiver $40
    4.5" ebay screen $25

That's $125 ($141 after taxes) for a video system, with a portable ground station and screen! I'm doing doing it as best as I can right now, using the very best video transmitter and receiver, the best camera (replayXD has better image out of the box, but Hero2 has better modularity, you can change the battery, there are all kinds of add-ons such as lenses etc..) and the best memory card, and the best everything, so instead of $125, it's so far at $563 after taxes.

The best thing about FPV is that there isn't any ONE system, it's not a very mature hobby because there is so much you need to know/understand to make it work, ESPECIALLY on the ground and so very few people get very far in it. I'm totally stoked though!

The ideal end situation will be:

Camera Replay XD $300
    Camera Hero 2 $300
    Lawmate VRx/VTx $135
    Lawmate VRx/VTx $135
    9.5" "Raw Panel" screen $105
    Traxxas 3s 1400mah for both transmitters on the car $35
    7000mah 12v pb battery for receivers - already own but $40
    7000mah 12v pb battery for other gear on the ground station - already own but $40
    360 pan servo $30
    DVR (to record what the FPV shows incase something happens to a camera) $80
    Video Splitter/Selector $40
    Various AV/Power/Control switches/connectors $60

That's $1300 (~ $1470 after taxes) for the ULTIMATE base station. I already have $560 paid for, $100 more in batteries, $30 in servo, $30 in connectors and switches, so really I have $730ish which works out to basically 50% of the system paid for!

All I NEED right now is a 12v screen ($100 for the one I WANT) and I'm ready to go full portable full fpv. Currently I'm just using my computer monitors or tvs to get by.

Long post, hope it's informative

Once again, $560ish for what I have now or just $140ish for a totally FINE and working system (cost of a new quality ESC) and almost $1500 for the ULTIMATE system haha.
    Lol. You bought almost everything in the list (and a bit more) and that is a huge and expensive list.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah I've ended up buying even more than I planned, but hey that's all part of the hobby! hahah

I picked this up today:

Now I'll just rip that one apart and build it on to the car, instead of ruining my other remote I made and put all that time and effort in to. I'm going to replace the steering and throttle with the pan and tilt knobs, the transmission will be camera 1, 2, 3 and the diff 1 and diff 2 will be HeadLights and HeadLights + Roof lights. The antenna will stick out of the case, probably at the top of the monitor, where I plan on having the video receiver antenna as well. I spent $20 on an SMA extension last night - the only sma connectors they had, I was planning on extending the video rx antenna to the top, BUT the connectors are BACKWARDS! EUGH.. another wasted $20. (Cost $25 in gas and 3 hours to get back to return it, not worth it)

I did a volume knob test, here's how it'll look:

As you can see I simply printed the graphic out and used a scalpel to cut the circle out.

And finally, I've decided I'm going to tear apart the cameras I bought, look at the size difference:

Much easier to work with now!

They come with IR leds so you can see at night, which is very cool! I'm going to mount one set to the front of the car, and one set to the back of the car, and there are sensors that turn them on when it's dark. It'll be automatic night vision! Going to be pretty sweet.

RC Qualifier
    A very notable difference.
    Any updates?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah big difference!

No nothing really to update, I've been busy this last weekend with other things but I'm about to place an order for another $150 worth of things:

Two new 2.4ghz antennas, 2 36inch antenna extensions, 1 24" antenna extenion for the 1.2ghz video receiver, $45 worth of blue led's and I think that's it. Add shipping and taxes, $140-150. It'll be here tomorrow.

HOWEVER I'm thinking of not using my jeep body anymore for the FPV car. I'm thinking of making it more "military" and less "toy."

I have 3 receivers on the car in total, that's 15 channels. Currently I have:

Ch 1 - Steering
    Ch 2 - Throttle
    Ch 3 - Transmission
    Ch 4 - Diff 1
    Ch 5 - Diff 2
    Ch 6 - Camera Pan
    Ch 7 - Camera Tilt
    Ch 8 - Camera Select (1,2,3)
    Ch 9 - Lights
    Ch 10 - Roof Lights

I'm thinking of this:

Ch 11 - Second Pan
    Ch 12 - Second Tilt
    Ch 13 - NOT SURE
    Ch 14 - Night Vision On Front
    Ch 15 - Night Vision On Front And Back

RC Champion
    So I received my ALMOST final order of parts. (this hobby is INSANE) (In total $155)

I Just received 10 blue, sleeved pre-wired LED's for all the system stats.
    Two relays (one to control charger, and the other to control the rest of the system)
    Five antenna extensions
    Two 2.4ghz Antennas
    1 x 7pin Connector and Plug (for charger balance port)

Not all the extensions in this pic but here's the parts:

Here's what I'm doing with the Charger Balance port: 7-Pin connector that will plug in to the top of the case, making a much cleaner looking jack for the balance board, than the stock one:

This is where it plugs in on the case: (picture shows only five pins, but I'm using the full 7, so I can do 6s battery balance)

This is the plug that I'm going to use:

Here's the antenna extension on the remote! It works!

Basically what I'm going to do is go from the TX through the tiny IPEX connector to SMA adapter (3-4inches) then plug a 24" SMA to SMA extension in to THAT and at the end of that plug a 2.4ghz antenna in to that. I've tested it and it works! (Haven't tested more than 20 feet but without an antenna it wouldn't go that far)

Here's how it'll look once all the antennas are extended and

For those who are reading this and haven't been following along:

I'm using two transmitters and one video receiver - thus the three antennas. I'm placing the video transmitter on the left side far away from the two transmitters on the right side to avoid as much signal pollution as possible. The two transmitters on the right are both going to be from Traxxas TQ remotes, with the above antenna extensions.

It's allllllllll coming together now!

I think I'm going to buy another one or two Castle Creations 10Amp BEC's and power the 5v things off those. I'll plug them in to the 12v source and program them to be whatever voltage I need. So far I have 5V: DVR, Sound System. Then I have the two 6v TQ transmitters.

(great as I'm writing this one of my video card fans just decided to start screaming! Uh yi yi never ending)

RC Qualifier
    Looking Nice!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    I love this build, hope the base station all comes together in the end

I was curious, how were you able to control the LEDs so the main ones, rear and front turn on with one button and then when you press the next, the roof lights come on aswell. I have the Traxxas TQ 4-ch remote and am thinking of making my LEDs have that capability and wish to use the switch next to the wheel (For a Summit they lock the diffs). Would you be able to help or give a clue?

Good luck with the rest of the build

RC Champion
    Following your build it's awesome lol we have a much larger bomb bot at my shop

RC Champion
    psycho, I have the switches setup like this:

CH4: Chassis Lights
    CH5: Chassis Lights & Roof Lights

Exactly as you mentioned, using the diff locking channels! Because I'm using a second radio, I can still operate the diffs from the other remote.

Emaxx, that's awesome!! Massive tires on that thing! Any videos!???!

RC Qualifier
    Emaxx1991:
    Lol, Nice!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    psycho, I have the switches setup like this:

CH4: Chassis Lights
    CH5: Chassis Lights & Roof Lights

Exactly as you mentioned, using the diff locking channels! Because I'm using a second radio, I can still operate the diffs from the other remote.
    When I plugged them into those channels they dont turn off and on? Im using an E-Revo so I have no locking diffs.

RC Champion
    Oh yes that's right, ahha sorry!! I'm using RC-LIGHTS Receiver switches, you can google'm - don't wanna post a link and get in trouble. They're cheap $10-15 and my LHS had them, so I've picked up 5.

So basically you just plug the thing in to the receiver box (ch 4 or 5 or whatever you want) and when that channel is selected, it activates the switch - in this case, turns the led's on. Very cool.

RC Champion

RC Qualifier
    Nice!!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    Thanks
    Ill have a look now

Im planning on having light that are able to be turned on and off, like yours
    and then driving lights, so brake lights, indicators etc

RC Champion
    Emaxx, that's awesome!! Massive tires on that thing! Any videos!???!
    Lol no I wish there are video of one on YouTube it's called a MARCBOT
    It sits on a 3903 emaxx

RC Champion
    That MARCBOT is awesome, I love how NASA took over and gave it some security, and an Xbox remote haha!

LOOK WHAT I PICKED UP TODAY ($220 uh yi yi)

The trouble is, I didn't know how to hook it up!! It's designed to work with its own 5v camera and transmitter, not use my 12v cameras and 12v transmitter.

The gentleman I picked it up from (superior store for all things FPV, and he just happens to be close to me - 1.5hrs) helped me out. I sent him this picture asking, "uh here's what I have, now what!?"

He returned with this a couple hours later:

How awesome is that!?

So I wired it all up, and it works!! Best of all, I've re-wired my transmitter, making the cables longer and tougher, and wired in the fan so now testing won't be a problem. Totally excited, I video'd the whole thing, I'll get it converted and uploaded within an hour and throw it up here, so you can live through the SAME SUSPENSE I did (... as I said, very exciting.)

RC Champion
    So it's uploading now (all 200mb) annnnnd yeah, it'll be here once it's done:

Should be up by 2:00am EST

I mentioned in the comments, "I just watched it AFTER clicking upload, lots of dark space and ... very poor filming" haha so I'm sorry about THAT part.

RC Qualifier
    Hahah nice

you're using the gopro on the summit though right or that one that I seen in the video?
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    Both! Using two of the ones you see in the vid, and the GoPro Hero2 as the main - though the video for FPV is better on the two smaller cams because they provide 4:3 instead of 16:9 like the go pro.

RC Champion
    So I just picked up $30 worth of Aluminum rods from 2" wide by 4feet to 8feet and 1 inch to L's to .5inches etc..

And $50 worth of screws and another CC 10amp bec. That's another $80 + the $25 in gas there.

I think I'm mentally ill. HOWEVER the screws are very nice, here's how it looks now:

I know I know I know, STILL not being built, BUT I had to get the screws so I knew what size to show the holes for the laser cutting. They're all HPI Wheel Screws - Hex Socket, 2.5mm x 7mm. I picked up 75 in 3 bags of 25.

The CC BEC is going to be used to power the two TQ transmitters I'm building in to the Ground Station. I was going to get TWO bec's so I could throw 6v to the transmitters, and 5v to the sound system, but I'll see if the sound system will be able to take 6v straight. Shouldn't be an issue either way.

RC Racer
    Looking good
    I think you should throw in some of the Mars Rovers fpv systems into your Summit and take a lil drive around america from youre couch

RC Qualifier
    Looking nice!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Thanks again DBG! physcophantsy, tell me about it! I would if it was legal, but that sort of TX/RX power is far beyond anything I can use - I'd have the government knocking on my door in no time. Hahah, as my signal would certainly over power those coming from Mars; "New pictures from NASA's Curiosity....... strangely enough it appears to have transformed in to a type of Traxxas style vehicle, and most importantly.. there is greenery and blue sky everywhere!? This is what we've been waiting for folks!" ......... oops!

RC Racer
    WE FOUND LIFE ON MARS!
    hahahahah

RC Qualifier
    Any updates?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Sadly nothing. I had to give some love to my Mini E-Revo today. Turns out my neighbor has a Nitro T-Maxx! We spent the day getting it running.. Nitro, what a joke hahahahahahaha. Srsly.

It was cool though, that thing FLIES in second gear, very very fast. Anyway so no, no updates other than:

Waiting on graphics/cutting company to get back to me so I can get them the art work to laser cut and print everything for the panels on the ground station.

Then I need to rig up something on the body of the Summit. I'm pretty certain I'm going to build a claw crane arm thing, and have a camera mounted on that. It'll be 5-6 servos, built out of aluminum annnd yup I'll need another radio or two in order to control the whole thing. I've already got a small case (about 8inches x 9inches) that I'll make in to a remote control for the crane. If I can plan the whole thing out tomorrow, I'll come up with controls and get the graphics guys to also cut out a panel for that! How cool would that be? Main ground station for TV and camera controls, but theeennn second smaller box for "crane claw control" haha. Something like this:

One servo to Turn the whole thing left and right. One servo to lift the whole thing up and down. Another to lift the second arm up and down. Another to rotate the claw. Another to open and close the claw. And perhaps another to rotate the claw left and right.

Yeah! ..... pretty crazy idea, but I think it's doable, and I really like the idea of a second wireless small box to control it.

(wow I tried posting this and Traxxas forums wouldn't respond - happening to me all day every day recently, but there's this "restore auto saved content" button that popped up, niiice!)

RC Champion
    Lookup the EOD talon it has some features your looking for u could copy some like it uses a chain for the arms

You could also use an Xbox controller to replace all yours if u wanted
    Last edited by Emaxx1991; 08-13-2012 at 11:45 PM.

RC Champion
    Yeah the xbox controller is too easy in my opinion, I want a more customized controller. More industrial looking and feeling. The Talon has only so many videos online and I've seen'm all at least twice over the past few days hahah! I have a bunch of ideas brewing and I'm just trying to combine them all to be unique yet elegant. Thanks for the suggestions! =)

RC Champion
    If u want any more just let me know lol I have 12 talons at work

RC Champion
    Some pictures of their controller would be a HUGE help to me! I can't find ANYTHING worthwhile online.

I tried for 24 hrs to load this page, I haven't been able to! This is so frustrating, but last night I ordered two 6-channel radio systems (hk-t6a) so now I have 12 more channels to play with. Guess what, 12 of them are proportional!

So making THIS:

... no problem now! That's a 6 DOF (Degrees of Motion) Manipulator arm.

I'm still stuck on how I'm going to control it. I'm thinking of so many cool things:

Simple Joysticks and a Pan knob.
    Replica model but miniaturized so I can literally just manipulate a model arm, and the real one will do whatever I'm telling it to do.
    Simple sensors that say, "contact made" and either turn on a light, or make a quick BUZZ or something, incase I bend it in an illegal way - such as back in to itself.
    The gripper/claw/grabber will be proportional as well, so I'll have very fine control over how much "force" is used to grab something. Without feed back it'll be tough, but I'm sure I can figure something out.
    A camera will be mounted to the top of it also, so I'll be able to see what I'm doing from a proper point of view.

THEN I'll have another 6 axis free, so I can make both my GoPro AND the other camera full pan and tilt cameras. That takes up only another 2 channels, leaving me with four more - Perhaps a quick "flipper bar" to push myself back over, or perhaps pull up and over something. We'll see.

Getting very exciting.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    When does this stop being a Summit and start being a Krall Creation??
    lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

You sir have taken this over the edge of madness!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LIKE IT.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Hahaha, quit trying to get me in trouble would ya Jimmie! I have to keep saying SUMMIT so I can keep my build thread on the Traxxas forum. Besides, I have three Traxxas radios, using Traxxas Batteries, Traxxas EZ Peak, and Traxxas vehicle of course. I think it's Traxxas enough to keep here, buuut I'm not changing the SUMMIT name of it haha.

Thanks jamann, I read somewhere when I first got in to the hobby back in Jan, "Yeah but once you start you can't stop!" and then when I switched to the Summit from my Mini E-Revo people on that forum were saying, "any time now you're going to show up with a completely modified Summit!"

Thing is, it's not really being modified at all. Stock EVERYTHING on it still, just some plastic modifications and screw holes for now! I'm pretty certain I'm going to have to do something with the suspension to really beef it up - I'll get to that bridge when the time comes.

For now I'm just keeping myself busy with this crane thing, and my options so that I can get this second case designed, and get them both sent off to be printed/cut.

Back to work...

RC Racer
    I've been following your build since the beginning and all I can say is Wow. And, you just keep taking it up another notch.
    Tekin powered Summit