Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Champion
    Not bad not bad... I just got my monitor in the mail! So much for "10-15 days" AND it cost me an Extra $30 on arrival. OH WELL.

Putting a video together of how it works, I'll add it to this once it's done and uploaded.

It blue screens with static, which is NOT ideal for FPV. I'll have to now buy some sort of "vga converter" or something for it.

Last edited by krallopian; 07-19-2012 at 01:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    lol, "and that's what happens".. "nothing, nothing happens" I was expecting full screen for a second.

It's lookin good either way, functional is always great and I'm sure you'll fix the static - blue screen issue, no problem.
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    Don't worry, everything have a solution.
    I was thinking the gel battery was bigger.
    I think your screen is perfect for the base station.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Thanks guys!

So I received my Screen in the mail today, didn't work... went out at 2:30 to get an RCA to VGA converter and got back at 6pm to see that the post office ALSO received something for me from Hong Kong while I was out...

Converter doesn't do anything - now it gives me access to Horizontal and Vertical positioning on the screen but that's it - STILL blue screen. What a dissapointment - $40 for the stupid thing and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

The thing from Hong Kong wasn't my switches and knobs it was instead the Carbon Fiber sticker I had ordered, this stuff is GORGEOUS it's prettier than the real thing haha.

I also picked up a Speaker - non-powered so I can just hook it in directly to the Video Receiver, no need for an amp:

The picture's not perfect but it shows the speaker in a HAPPY PUPPY or whatever its called, I'm just going to rip the speaker out of the stupid dog plastic thing - $4, what can I ask for!

RC Qualifier
    For what is the carbon fiber?
    Haha "happy puppy", at least is cheap.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    The carbon fiber is just to make case that I'm building look cooler.

That puppy speaker is SO quiet, using a headphone out, at FULL volume it's about as quiet as a whisper. Figures, what do you expect for $4 hahah. I'm going to get one of these instead for $30:

Probably the bottom one, and have it along the bottom of the screen - I just have to find out how BIG that thing is - gotta wait until tomorrow, the waaaiiitting game.

RC Qualifier
    I like more the 2 picture but i think is a bit big,but i dont know.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Bought the second speaker, it's 2" too long, so I'm going to have to rip it apart and mount it creatively. The sound from it is incredible though, FAR FAR FAR better than I expected.

Here's my desk as it sits:

Haha

I bought a video amplifier, it hasn't helped the blue screen at all, oh well ANOTHER $30 wasted. At least now I have 4 video outs, so this way I can send video directly to the monitor, and then also ..... elsewhere hahah.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Bought the second speaker, it's 2" too long, so I'm going to have to rip it apart and mount it creatively. The sound from it is incredible though, FAR FAR FAR better than I expected.

Haha

I bought a video amplifier, it hasn't helped the blue screen at all, oh well ANOTHER $30 wasted. At least now I have 4 video outs, so this way I can send video directly to the monitor, and then also ..... elsewhere hahah.
    The speaker only need few modification for fit (just remove some plastic)
    Did you tried to connect the only the video amplifier?(Without the vga converter) or Connect the video amplifier with the vga converter? If so, what was the result? (just for curiosity)
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    I returned the Converter and picked up the amp, so I haven't been able to do that test.

There are only TWO speakers in this unit, the picture and unit looks like there are FOUR, two circles and two ovals - the ovals are actual mechanical pieces with rubber that MOVE but have no wires to them, it's just for looks - pretty extreme just for looks in my opinion.

Either way, I think I'm going to just separate them both, and mount them on the side of the bottom half of the case - so that they are sidefiring, not positive yet.

Something like this:

Last edited by krallopian; 07-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I returned the Converter and picked up the amp, so I haven't been able to do that test.

There are only TWO speakers in this unit, the picture and unit looks like there are FOUR, two circles and two ovals - the ovals are actual mechanical pieces with rubber that MOVE but have no wires to them, it's just for looks - pretty extreme just for looks in my opinion.

Either way, I think I'm going to just separate them both, and mount them on the side of the bottom half of the case - so that they are sidefiring, not positive yet.
    Don't worry about the test, it was just for know

Nice picture, (sorry for say this: I think this pic is better than the last one)
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah it's difficult to do, much more so than I imagined. I figured, "blah I'll get some switches, and components and lay'm out" but the issue I face now is because I don't have the parts, I'm only guessing how big things are. The screen is exactly that size, the knobs are that size, the speakers and volume knob are that size... but the power, voltmeter, switches etc... aren't to scale. The "AV" on the right side, is representative of the charger and its connectors.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it's difficult to do, much more so than I imagined. I figured, "blah I'll get some switches, and components and lay'm out" but the issue I face now is because I don't have the parts, I'm only guessing how big things are. The screen is exactly that size, the knobs are that size, the speakers and volume knob are that size... but the power, voltmeter, switches etc... aren't to scale. The "AV" on the right side, is representative of the charger and its connectors.
    Ok, just the voltmeter, switches etc... are bigger than the pic? or just everything is a bit bigger? if so i think you need to buy bigger case or remove some switches or get smaller switches or make that very organized (just few mm of space between switches)
    That is my suggestions. (Sorry, I feel this was my project, I am very interested in this project )
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Well yes of course. I've ordered the parts all from Hong Kong so they're on a boat on their way here, I'll know when they get here. I want to USE this specific case, I have about 8 Pelican cases of all different sizes and colours, but this is being built for my Pelican 1450 case.

RC Qualifier
    Well yes of course. I've ordered the parts all from Hong Kong so they're on a boat on their way here, I'll know when they get here. I want to USE this specific case, I have about 8 Pelican cases of all different sizes and colours, but this is being built for my Pelican 1450 case.
    Something I like of the Pelican 1450 case is the place where is going to be the panel is deep, perfect for the wires, the charger and the battery.
    I really like the ingenuity of this project
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Well Here's the latest version:

I'm still waiting on the parts from Hong Kong so I can get the EXACT sizes of the switches, but I'm pretty certain that I have it close enough. I'm going to build the panels out of either acrylic/plexiglass or just thin wood - and cover them with the carbon fiber I have to give it this look.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do the labels though - I might print them out on clear stickers, but they are never ACTUALLY CLEAR just transparent.. anyone have any ideas how to get nice labels?

The volume knob on the left (with the blue ring) is exactly that size, and came with the speakers I bought. The only thing I'm iffy about now on this setup is the center small screen (foxtech DV1) is going to be used to remove the blue-screen issue I have, and it's sort of an on-board recorder - that way if someone steals my CAR or anything happens to the camera while I'm driving, I still have a copy of the "flight." It's about $100 so kinda steep buuut whatever. The issue is how to mount it, I've put some "perspective" on it in photoshop just to show that it would be slightly angled but it's no real big deal anyway.

The other bigger deal is the charger itself - taking it apart to make it fit certainly isn't going to be EASY but it will have a killer effect!

Here's another little thing, $5 12v fan for the video transmitter on the car itself - incase I flip over upside down or something, I don't want the radio to possibly sit there for 20 minutes burning itself up without airflow. With this fan now it stays COOL almost cold to the touch, and it's silent! It's perfect now.

Last edited by krallopian; 07-23-2012 at 03:40 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That last picture isn't an ESC, it's the FPV.. transmitter?? or receiver, either way, that layout looks dope

RC Champion
    haha thanks tqi and Yeah the last picture is the video transmitter with custom hs/f. I'm using the OEM Esc that comes with the car.

RC Champion
    Earlier in the thread I posted pics of it:

With the heat sink and fan combo it does look like an ESC now though haha. Without the fan and heat sink it would get too hot to even touch within 10 minutes of sitting in still air. Now it stays nice and cold.

RC Champion
    I just did some quick math to answer a fella's question and found this:

$200 for the screen
    $200 for dvr/Accessories
    $150 for the case
    $80 for the wireless link
    $300 for the camera
    $80 for the jeep body
    $650 for the car
    $200 for the radio systems I've made
    $100 for the charger
    $100 for the batteries
    $100 for the switches
    $50 for splitter
    $30 for carbon fiber
    $30 for speakers

Uh yi yi, that's almost $2300 hahaha.

BUT it's going to be rockin! I just ordered the foxtech DV02.

RC Qualifier
    I just did some quick math to answer a fella's question and found this:

$200 for the screen
    $200 for dvr/Accessories
    $150 for the case
    $80 for the wireless link
    $300 for the camera
    $80 for the jeep body
    $650 for the car
    $200 for the radio systems I've made
    $100 for the charger
    $100 for the batteries
    $100 for the switches
    $50 for splitter
    $30 for carbon fiber
    $30 for speakers

Uh yi yi, that's almost $2300 hahaha.

BUT it's going to be rockin! I just ordered the foxtech DV02.
    looking better.
    I like the video transmitter mod.
    The new base station is alot better and more realistic.
    I think those $2300 worth any penny.(is a lot, but I really like it)
    good job

Tqi: i answer you question about my watercooling project.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Yeah man I seen it, thanks

RC Champion
    So...... I had a consultation today with a company that does printing and laser cutting/etching etc.. I'm THINKING I'm going to get this thing professional built. I could buy the acrylic panels myself and then try to cut holes nice and straight and then try and print out clear stickers with WHITE ink...... (not possible) so yeah I met with these guys explained what I'm doing and they're - of course - happy to "help" out! $150'ISH will be the cost. That's a lot, but seeing how from day one I've said, "I'm going to do this thing RIGHT" I had might as well stick to that plan and spend the cash.

The plan is to have the individual sections (battery meter, camera control etc...) as individual plastic pieces wrapped in my carbon fiber vinyl and then print out a clear stick with writing on it and have it overlaid.

What do you guys think? Again I COULD do this myself, but I'd really like to have the professional look.

RC Qualifier
    I think this project's only getting way better!!

Sounds like your case will look like an actual product on the market too

except you can be like "nope... I pretty much built that myself [...]"

RC Qualifier
    So...... I had a consultation today with a company that does printing and laser cutting/etching etc.. I'm THINKING I'm going to get this thing professional built. I could buy the acrylic panels myself and then try to cut holes nice and straight and then try and print out clear stickers with WHITE ink...... (not possible) so yeah I met with these guys explained what I'm doing and they're - of course - happy to "help" out! $150'ISH will be the cost. That's a lot, but seeing how from day one I've said, "I'm going to do this thing RIGHT" I had might as well stick to that plan and spend the cash.

The plan is to have the individual sections (battery meter, camera control etc...) as individual plastic pieces wrapped in my carbon fiber vinyl and then print out a clear stick with writing on it and have it overlaid.

What do you guys think? Again I COULD do this myself, but I'd really like to have the professional look.
    I suggest think about this. Is a professional work, yes, it look very nice BUT it worth the $150 for make something you can make? I know is very boring cut plastic and there is an option about a laser cutter but i think is a bit expensive for just cut plastic and what happen if you make wrong something and you spend $150 for that? or what happen if you doesn't like how it looks or you need some mods? again $150? but i really want to see something professional but is just expensive.
    You can make that yourself (because you are very smart) but is very boring to do that and spend the time on something like that BUT if you want something profetional, go and spend $150

I am 50/50

P.S. I saw something interesting about this thread:You make the account the 01-01-2012 and you have 1,391 post and I enter the 12-30-2011 and i have 227 post
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    I'm leaning on doing this professionally vs "do it myself" even though I'm really still the one doing this, they are just cutting specific sized holes where I am telling them to, and doing the graphics I am designing and telling them to. So I'm really still doing it myself, but correctly vs making a mess of it hahah.

I figured as well after spending as much as I have, what's another 5% cost going to do in the long run!

As for making changes down the road, it'll be easier to make because I'm making this modular - panels that can be replaced!

I realized last night though that I have zero storage in this case!! Ooops...

RC Qualifier
    I'm leaning on doing this professionally vs "do it myself" even though I'm really still the one doing this, they are just cutting specific sized holes where I am telling them to, and doing the graphics I am designing and telling them to. So I'm really still doing it myself, but correctly vs making a mess of it hahah.

I figured as well after spending as much as I have, what's another 5% cost going to do in the long run!

As for making changes down the road, it'll be easier to make because I'm making this modular - panels that can be replaced!

I realized last night though that I have zero storage in this case!! Ooops...
    Is you decision, like you say: "professionally vs "do it myself""

I forget say, maybe you can make the "do it myself" test panels and send to the professional people and copy them for the "professional look".

Just my suggestion
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    I am certainly going to build a prototype first so that I know that everything WILL fit.

For instance right now the screen on the charger in the top right, it's soldered in place on the charger, so to make it fit without the rest of the charger extending left in to the DVR I'm going to have to modify it. It's going to be extremely beneficial to prototype it first so that I can find any issues like that before I tell someone, "nah just go ahead and do it."

Look what came in today! EXCITEMENT IN A BOX (or two..)

The last pic shows the knobs connected to both 5k potentiometers and 3-way switches. Very.. very exciting!

RC Champion
    (Wish I could EDIT posts instead of having to keep making new ones)

Okay so now all I have to do is wait for my DVR to arrive and I'll know for SURE that this can be laid out this way, but as it stands - this is basically how it's going to look! Everything here is exactly to scale.

The only thing missing here is the connection from the screen to the base. I'm not sure if I'm going to place a battery in the lid for the monitor and transmitter/receiver or keep both batteries in the base itself.

Either way, there will be at least a video cable coming from the top part to the bottom, through the center bottom of the lid, to the top center of the base above the dvr screen.

RC Qualifier
    I think that pic is better than the last one.

krallopian:
    I have a question about your post #103:
    What is the program do you use for 3D model?(sorry if that question was answer before)
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Thanks DBG! It's a much more "realistic" layout in both scale, positioning and overall feeling.

The 3D program I used - pretty sure I mentioned it, sorry if I didn't - was MAYA. It's the best 3D program out there IMO, they trained me 10 years ago so I have a pretty good base, but man how things have changed in that program since then hahah.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks DBG! It's a much more "realistic" layout in both scale, positioning and overall feeling.

The 3D program I used - pretty sure I mentioned it, sorry if I didn't - was MAYA. It's the best 3D program out there IMO, they trained me 10 years ago so I have a pretty good base, but man how things have changed in that program since then hahah.
    Thanks. (right now I am downloading the program)

I think that base is going to look cool.

I forgot ask: Any updates on the truck?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    No updates there really, there isn't anything to do there anymore! Well... there IS the lights on the dashboard, but that's basically going to be taken care of within a couple hours of working once I get a small board I've ordered. I ordered a CAMERA SWITCHER board, something that is basically just a RECEIVER SWITCH that when I send a signal, it selects "output 1" or "output 2" and if I'm using a three-way switch - as I am for the transmission - it will select, output1, 2 and 3.

This will basically light up "1" or "2" on the dash board for me.

I will also have lights for differential locked/unlocked and maybe a few other things

Good luck with Maya, there's a lot to learn.. it's THE professional program.

RC Qualifier
    No updates there really, there isn't anything to do there anymore! Well... there IS the lights on the dashboard, but that's basically going to be taken care of within a couple hours of working once I get a small board I've ordered. I ordered a CAMERA SWITCHER board, something that is basically just a RECEIVER SWITCH that when I send a signal, it selects "output 1" or "output 2" and if I'm using a three-way switch - as I am for the transmission - it will select, output1, 2 and 3.

This will basically light up "1" or "2" on the dash board for me.

I will also have lights for differential locked/unlocked and maybe a few other things

Good luck with Maya, there's a lot to learn.. it's THE professional program.
    Keep us update
    Thanks for the suggestion about the program.
    Maybe you know this program but if you doesn't know, here is the name: Live Wire: This program is about make circuits in the computer and test them. I suggest it because it have all the essential for make circuits. I really like this program(I am doing a homemade BEC) If you want the link with others 5 programs (combo) send me a PM
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    So I printed it out for a size test, and everything fits perfectly! Thank you Photoshop, and dollar-store ruler! Here's some test shots:

RC Qualifier
    Wow, it looks to have a perfect fit, Nice
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    I received my DVR today, it does exactly what I need it to do, NO MORE BLUE SCREEN!! Perfect.

However it doesn't display at the same time as the big screen which.... I dunno if I like or not, I'd prefer to be able to control whether or not it does but oh well.

Here's what came in the box today:

DVR
    Cam Switcher
    160 Metal Servo (for steering wheel on the car, my modded servo is too glitchy/noisy)
    Low Pass filter for the Transmitter

Parts

Low Pass Filter (this prevents the video transmitter from interfering with the 2.4ghz onboard receiver on the car - it cuts everything above 1400mhz)

Looks like I can't really open up the DVR and do too much with it, it's all tiny tiny surface mount everything, even the LED's are surface mount... what a shame. You can see how small this thing is, that's a bottle cap in the top left.

RC Qualifier
    Low pass filter.. A sexy mystery of an instrument.. lol !!

I wish you'd do a range test man, if you had like any camera taping the fpv screen while the summit cruises away visibly in the background it would be sweeeet

RC Qualifier
    Looking good and some what over my head, but I have a question for ya........did you in your wildest dreams when you first started with the camera for the truck think you would be going this far with it?
    You hare going to have one wild truck. Now just rig it so you can watch DVD's on it as well

RC Champion
    Hahahah I've got it rigged so I'll be able to watch DVD's on it already ahah that's too funny!!

Here's how it looks right now:

I've had to reposition things because of the shtuff I'm sticking under the main panel - charger, ac/dc converter, splitter, dvr - and added a CAM SWITCH. I'm thinking of putting some cheapo - $15-20 - cameras on the car, and I can select between three camers in total using channel 3 of one of the tq/tqi boards. Instead of changing transmission, I'll change camera! My main FPV one, then perhaps a "bumper cam" and a..... "under carriage cam" or something, not sure yet.

I had to change the way I'm doing the DVR though, it's toooo integrated to even remove the LED's. Since they are integrated using custom light pipes, it's a silly idea to try and make it work, let alone the buttons. I'll just have to use the remote control that came with it - booooo.

Right now I'm just waiting on the AC/DC converter so I can get a proper size estimate, and then I'll be able to go ahead and get all the holes drawn up, send it out to be cut up and I'm basically good to go! THEN I can get back to driving the car hahahaha.

TQi, I still haven't done range testing. The car has been in pieces the whole time, I still don't have the FPV side of it fully built - no where to mount the transmitter and battery officially yet other than just throwing it on, so I don't want to do a range test with unrealistic placements. I don't have new batteries for the remote yet either, I wouldn't wanna do a range test till I have new ones in there - the ones I have are pretty much toast after testing testing testing.
    Last edited by krallopian; 07-31-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: I kant spehl