Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post

Battlefield 3's the bomb
    Well Battlefield 3 may be the reglar bomb, but Krall and his build are the NUCLEAR BOMB!! Seriously this thing is absolutely awsome! I would try to do an fpv summit but I don't have the budget or the knowhow so I guess I'll just have to enjoy watching you build yours. Awsome job
    Castle rustler, stampede, merv, summit,and an s-10

RC Champion
    Hahah, thanks MiNi, I'm glad everyone's liking this.

I really hope someone else gets in to this as well, and starts posting their progress in here too! "My FPV Summit" can become just that, not KRALL's just "MY" makes sense to me. There are a few forums out there with over 100+ pags of FPV builds, it'd be great to have one on the Traxxas forum itself!

I just got back from the store and bought ANOTHER receiver switch, now I can have a switch for transmission ON 1, or Transmission ON 2. Earlier problem solved.

RC Champion
    It appears the battery trays were MADE for this!

I've cleaned up the wiring, I shortened a bunch of the servo wires and the ESC wire, redid the chassis led connectors, and then ran them through the vent and up through a hole I cut in to my "FPV Link" box.

Worked out very well, in the battery tray there is even a type of hanger... for all the wires to keep them out of the way of the battery! Not bad not bad!

Used to look like this:

Very nice . Clean install everything labeled for future potential repairs etc
    Nice

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    holy, this thing is coming along even more sick than before, I definitely need an extra $1200 to get my own make shift summit going
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    Turns out my LED for the transmission is a common cathode, I need common anode to make it work. Figures, now I have to order ANOTHER part. What's funny though is the one I was using, it's from 1979!! In short, they don't make them anymore hahaha, however I found what I need fortunately.

I spent the day researching 1:6 bodies, I almost pulled the trigger on a 1:6 of the same thing I have, but it's 4" too wide and 4" too long, but so much more detailed inside. Big drag.

There is a 1:8 scale but they haven't been seen since 2008, 4years ago.. no luck finding them. OH WELL.

Bought the expansion to BF3 today so been busy bustin peoples virtual faces with machine guns all day. BACK to work I go.

RC Qualifier
    Out standing build and great modifications, makes my mods look like 1st grade work. Love the way you switched the electronics around and used the flat cable. Great job and have been keeping track of your build just did not know what to say sense you r build is out of my range of knowledge .
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Champion
    Haha thanks a lot Edstoys, it's really nice to hear. What I'm doing isn't really complicated, it just requires a lot of tools and a big enough parts bin.

I just got back from the store and I bought:

Now I can finalize wire placement throughout the body - well sort of, still waiting on these 7-segment led's to get back in stock.

RC Champion
    BF3 has been taking alll my time! Hahah

I got some parts in today (ordered late last night from Arizona, they arrived here by 3pm, incredible)

Nothing too exciting:

BUT it made me get back to work and here's the new antenna mast for the car - it goes from the "FPV Link" I made on the chassis, to the body, and then through the body to this - MUCH higher than the stock antenna so I expect greater range - basically now the car can be completely out of sight below a hill, and still receiver signal.

The parts I received are for the dash, a few posts back I mentioned I needed common anode 7-segments so I needed to order some, sooo last night I ordered MORE common cathode, oops. Either way I received some nice square and round led's for the dash to display front/back diffs and gears.

RC Qualifier
    Nice, can never have enough range!

RC Qualifier
    Nice haha to bad the antenna is usually on the other side lol
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    Hahah yeah I know, I saw a picture of that after I mounted this. Oh well!! I still have to mount the antenna for the camera pan&tilt and light controls etc.. so maybe that'll go on the other side - depends on the antenna length.

It's been SO HOT here the past week, that and other LIFE stuffs.. I haven't touched this really since putting the antenna up.

I receiver my proper 7-segment LED, mounted it and it looks pretty good - the first one (from the '70s) was a perfect fit, but this one is smaller so I've filled the gaps with liquid electric tape.

Kind of wish I didn't cut the hole for the bigger one, but whatever - the camera can't even focus this close anyway, so you won't really notice it in the video feed/recordings.

RC Champion
    I just placed an order for all kinds of switches! $100 worth.. uh yi yi.

Now I'll be able to build my BASE station (Pelican Case)

Soooooomething like this: But not quite haha.

As I'm typing this I just received a message:

"Thank you for your order Krallopian, because you selected e-check it will take 3-5 days for money to clear, then we will ship order and you will receive within 10-14 business days." AWWW MAN! That's going put me at probably July 26/27 before I see any of this.

AH WELL, at least it's ordered.

I ordered some 5cm volume knobs for the pan/tilt setup! It's going to be neat, two big knobs one for pan one for tilt, and when I look left or right I just turn the knob left or right and when I let go it will STAY there, unlike a joystick that would spring back. I'm going to have a switch that then switches between the knobs OR a joystick. That way I can still use a joystick with a return, which is like an "auto center" for the camera. Prrreetty neat, hope it works.

Then I'll have power switches for: Monitor, Video Receiver, Transmitter (going to have the TQi mounted inside the case, to control lights on the car, camera pan/tilt etc..) "Auxilary" and "illumination" haha going to see if I can light up the box some how - we'll see.

A switch for, internal/external power sources - external for when I'm out and about, internal for when I'm near a wall socket. Found this purdy little thang to help accommodate.

Anyway, 3:33am AGAIN... just wanted to give an update, I'm getting sick of going to the bar every night and want to get back to work on this! I figured if I update here, it'll force me to get back to work.

RC Qualifier
    krallopian: This is one of the most interesting threads in the fourm
    For read all the thread took me 2 hours
    I really like your proyect
    Well Done!!
    Last edited by DBG; 07-11-2012 at 12:12 AM.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Heya DBG, thanks a lot for the kind words!

I updated the other day saying I ordered a bunch of parts, but I cancelled that order, and re-ordered even MORE parts and paid with credit card this time, the parts have already been shipped.

I got:

Blue LED Digital Volt Meter
    3 Position Heavy Duty Switch
    16" x 80" Carbpm Fiber Vinyl Sheet
    "Nos" Style Safety Power Switches
    Nice 17mm Aluminum Knobs
    Stereo Input/Output Connectors
    Bunch of other various switches
    Rotary Switches (selection 1, 2, 3 etc)

Altogther it's running me $140 Canadian.

It's all high quality shtuff, and some of the switches were expensive. There's a plastic company in my area and I'll get them to cut out a plastic piece that will fit inside my Pelican Case (I don't want the aluminum inserts you can buy) and then I'll have it all sectioned off accordingly.

Currently putting it together like this in photoshop:

Full Size

RC Competitor
    hey krallopian
    Nice thread on your SummitFPV

I'm planning on getting the newest/lastest version of the Summit .
    On your testings, the OEM 2.4ghz Tx/rx was not affected by the Lawmate 1.2ghz VidTx 1000mW?

I ask because , if true, I wont need my EzUHF tx/rx. :-)

Have you done range testings? 700 yards?

(2 summers ago, I only managed ~220 yards with 72mhz/900mhz combo).

p.s.
    how do you control pan/tilt on the TRX stock tx/rx?
    I plan on using Y-connector for steering and Diff Locking.
    I just need hi/low gearing.
    Last edited by rclab1; 07-11-2012 at 01:55 PM.

RC Champion
    I haven't done any range testing yet, I've actually only driven the car twice. I've been so wrapped up in doing other things, that's why this build went from getting updates every 30 minutes, to once a week.

I have TWO radios in my remote, one is the TQ the other is the TQi, and I'm going to mount one of them in my case, and control the pan with a joystick, or a knob (selectable) that way the joystick will return to center when I let go, OR if I want to ALWAYS be looking left or right, I can use the knob, turn to say 90 left and LEAVE IT, and drive slowly, that way I can still drive with both hands, while looking around.

Here's the "Pan" Knob I bought.

I'm not sure about the EzUHF thing yet, we'll see.

It's been great weather for driving around here too, I just haven't got the proper base station setup yet, and the screen I've been using for testing is too big and bulky, and between where I would drive, and where I would drive from.. it just hasn't been good, it would be a 10 minute setup, 10 minute drive, and then there'd be junk everywhere haha.

Once I get this base station built, it'll be a whole new story.

I'm planning on keeping my remote the same as it is (two radios in one) but also adding a THIRD radio in to the base station. That way I can keep my remote the same, but have the radio mounted in the base station itself with switches/buttons/knobs etc.. controlling things. $100 more though hahah.

RC Competitor
    If that "new" TQi transmitter and rx is resistant to our Lawmate 1.2ghz 1000mw in terms
    of "Range", then its great news.....

As we all know, that 1.2ghz 1000mW VidTx is going to kill range, as much as 80%.
    Crashes has happend many many times.....

I hoping your TQi tx/rx works out.....keep me informed buddy:-)

So be careful if going high speeds'.....

RC Champion
    Yeah the TQi is what is controlling the lights and camera on the car. I used the TQ to control the car itself. It only lost range once, but I was inside, behind walls of brick and metal, and then there were trees, and a "hill" of sorts.. I held the remote up 1foot higher (so at neck height when sitting) and it was fine again.

If there WILL be noise, I'll just add a low pass filter as 1.2ghz IS a subharmonic of 2.4ghz. HOWEVER I am using 1280mhz on the lawmate, so it's not really an issue anyway. I'll CERTAINLY be updating here with range tests once I have my setup the way I want it.

I've heard a lot of people saying their TQi's are dying, I ripped my apart, the only thing left was the radio itself on the PCB, it still works great...

RC Competitor
    When you lost control behind walls, was the VidTx 1.2ghz plugged in to the 3s lipo?

the new TQi tx, will it have a way to pan/tilt our Camera?

....your thread is wonderful....keep'em coming bud
    Let me know how your range tests' goes.....
    Last edited by rclab1; 07-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.

RC Champion
    The car was setup like this:

Radio: TQ controlling Car, TQi controlling Camera
    Car: Stock nimhs powering car, 1400 3s lipo powering video transmitter and camera tqi receiver board.

The new TQi doesn't have anything different except for the antenna and plastic transmitter as far as I can tell. It's a much more complex board, but they both do the same things. I am using TWO radios for the whole setup because on one of them I am using steering and throttle as pan and tilt.

Here's the first setup of my remote (the tqi board is up top, and this joystick I ripped out of a playstation controller is what controlled the camera)

And here's a PSP joystick for the final version, but it's resolution was horrible so I've decided to put the camera controls on teh base station instead:

Here's the whole remote:

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Heya DBG, thanks a lot for the kind words!

I updated the other day saying I ordered a bunch of parts, but I cancelled that order, and re-ordered even MORE parts and paid with credit card this time, the parts have already been shipped.

I got:

Blue LED Digital Volt Meter
    3 Position Heavy Duty Switch
    16" x 80" Carbpm Fiber Vinyl Sheet
    "Nos" Style Safety Power Switches
    Nice 17mm Aluminum Knobs
    Stereo Input/Output Connectors
    Bunch of other various switches
    Rotary Switches (selection 1, 2, 3 etc)

Altogther it's running me $140 Canadian.

It's all high quality shtuff, and some of the switches were expensive. There's a plastic company in my area and I'll get them to cut out a plastic piece that will fit inside my Pelican Case (I don't want the aluminum inserts you can buy) and then I'll have it all sectioned off accordingly.
    I have question about the base station:
    That base station have batteries inside, right?
    What type of batteries are you using?

Just a suggestion:
    Why don't put the external power plug at the side of the box?

I really want to see something like that
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah I'm still on the fence about putting the plug on the side. I don't want to cut the case, and I want it to look clean, BUT I'm planning on having that plug to power the EzPeakPlus charger on the inside, and it WOULD be nice to have it plugged in with the case closed. Still not sure what I'm going to do, but thanks for the input!

The batterie(s) inside will be a 12v Gel Cell, probably 7-7.5amp. Hangar makes good ones for $30 or so. I'm contemplating having one MAIN battery and one backup battery. The backup would be a smaller/lighter/cheaper one.

It's too bad I didn't order two of those AC plugs, it would have forced me to add a plug on the outside as well. When it's inside, it makes it look more "complex" with more things going on, I want this to look cool! =D

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm still on the fence about putting the plug on the side. I don't want to cut the case, and I want it to look clean, BUT I'm planning on having that plug to power the EzPeakPlus charger on the inside, and it WOULD be nice to have it plugged in with the case closed. Still not sure what I'm going to do, but thanks for the input!

The batterie(s) inside will be a 12v Gel Cell, probably 7-7.5amp. Hangar makes good ones for $30 or so. I'm contemplating having one MAIN battery and one backup battery. The backup would be a smaller/lighter/cheaper one.

It's too bad I didn't order two of those AC plugs, it would have forced me to add a plug on the outside as well. When it's inside, it makes it look more "complex" with more things going on, I want this to look cool! =D
    Ok.

I think that type of battery are a bit heavy, but really i don't know.
    My last question:
    Are you going to make a ventilation hole for the charger?

This proyect is very interesting for me.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Yup, I still have to FIND my charger!!! I just found my 2200 2s Lipo completely COMPLETELY dead (died a while ago, but I revived it and it was great) but still can't find my charger. What a pain. Once I find it, I'll see exactly how modular it is, and might just use the fan that it came with, we'll see. I plan on using its screen, but replacing its four buttons with these.

The battery weight isn't any concern to me... I want the case to weigh more than just... plastic. The heavier it is, the more expensive it is haha.

Super glad you're interested in this, it's the whole reason I started the thread - I want more people involved in these sorts of projects on this forum!

RC Qualifier
    Yup, I still have to FIND my charger!!! I just found my 2200 2s Lipo completely COMPLETELY dead (died a while ago, but I revived it and it was great) but still can't find my charger. What a pain. Once I find it, I'll see exactly how modular it is, and might just use the fan that it came with, we'll see. I plan on using its screen, but replacing its four buttons with these.

The battery weight isn't any concern to me... I want the case to weigh more than just... plastic. The heavier it is, the more expensive it is haha.

Super glad you're interested in this, it's the whole reason I started the thread - I want more people involved in these sorts of projects on this forum!
    Ok
    I only have just 2 miniprojects and is here in the forum if you want to see them.
    Let me know and i send you the links.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    Certainly shoot me the links here or in pm! =)

Found my charger (under my countless piles of crap everywhere from all these projects)

Looks good to modify!

Here you can see the screen is raised higher than the rest, making mounting easy. The four buttons can be desoldered and replaced with the news ones I've ordered that's a big plus!

Look at the size of this heatsink, wow no wonder there's a fan in there:

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG]Wow, you use 2 Traxxas Tx for you Summit!....

I FPV Summit 2 summers ago, and I miss it. Your thread is great. Makes me want to do it again.
    Rock Crawling was the most fun ever, a lot more enjoyable then full all out speed. The camera
    vibrated too much.

As for your GroundStation, just use a 3s-5000mah Lipo, that will last you the whole week

Here was mine, the platform was held by two screws, I screwed it onto the shock tower in the rear!

I saw your simulation, have you made a platform for our FPV/RC gear?

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-Photo0589.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-Photo0593.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-Photo0602.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...%20%283%29.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...%20%286%29.jpg
    Last edited by rclab1; 07-11-2012 at 05:15 PM.

RC Champion
    Hahah yeah one Lipo would be nice but the 7A 12v Gel Cell will last a lot longer and is less than a third the price though! Though three times the weight haha.

Yeah 2 traxxas transmitters, and I'm thinking I'll be buying a third to mount permanently in to the ground station. Not sure yet what I'm going to do there.

I haven't made a platform for anything, I ended up buying a new Jeep body and have been converting THAT in to the platform, all the pics are in this thread though.

You said, "here was mine" but there's no link! :P

RC Qualifier
    Certainly shoot me the links here or in pm! =)

Found my charger (under my countless piles of crap everywhere from all these projects)

Looks good to modify!

Here you can see the screen is raised higher than the rest, making mounting easy. The four buttons can be desoldered and replaced with the news ones I've ordered that's a big plus!
    Ok here are the links

This is a watercooled slash:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...r-cooled-slash

And my t-maxx with a remote start:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...x-remote-start

About the charger:
    The charger have a transformator? If so you can test the output voltaje and know what is the voltaje you need for the charger.
    Maybe you can get a bigger fan for the cooling fins.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Good stuff Krall, I see you're back at it strong!

and I really like that watercooling unit DBG, I have a question for you on that thread.

RC Champion
    Wow I forgot to reply, I read these messages on my phone and followed the links. Totally awesome builds DBG very... cool... idea hahah.

I'm 10 mins away from ordering my FPV screen, I found one that is to the 0.5mm of what I can fit in my case! I had to call the store and the lady had SUCH a thick Boston accent I could hardly understand her, she made me feel like a little kid asking questions though she was all tough haha.

I drove my Mini E-Revo last night, drove it 10 feet straight in to a wall and popped out the stupid ball joint - then I tried to run it over with the Summit BUT the batteries were so dead it couldn't even turn on - OOPS. I can't believe how much time is flying by I keep forgetting to charge batteries.

SOON, SOON I say SOON I'll have this whole thing up and running.

RC Qualifier
    Wow I forgot to reply, I read these messages on my phone and followed the links. Totally awesome builds DBG very... cool... idea hahah.

I'm 10 mins away from ordering my FPV screen, I found one that is to the 0.5mm of what I can fit in my case! I had to call the store and the lady had SUCH a thick Boston accent I could hardly understand her, she made me feel like a little kid asking questions though she was all tough haha.

I drove my Mini E-Revo last night, drove it 10 feet straight in to a wall and popped out the stupid ball joint - then I tried to run it over with the Summit BUT the batteries were so dead it couldn't even turn on - OOPS. I can't believe how much time is flying by I keep forgetting to charge batteries.

SOON, SOON I say SOON I'll have this whole thing up and running.
    Thanks
    I really want to see the video.
    I have some answers in the post #152 in the last part about the charger

Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post
    Good stuff Krall, I see you're back at it strong!

and I really like that watercooling unit DBG, I have a question for you on that thread.
    Thanks.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    I ended up not getting the larger 15" screen and getting the 10.4" instead, to be certain it will fit my case - didn't want to risk COMPLETELY wasting the monies haha.

Pretty sweet though! http://www.roadviewmobile.com/ProductDetail/288.aspx

RC Competitor
    Looking Great Krallopian....

Sorry to ask again, but did you "range test" the 2.4ghz RC control while the 1.2ghz Lawmate VidTransmitter was "on" in your Summit?

thanks much bud

RC Champion
    hey no problem... I haven't range tested but I have gone over 100l meters and there was zero issue doing so. again I really need to get my base station built before any real testing is done. biggest thing with video tx and car rx is keeping them spaced apart....

RC Qualifier
    krallopian:

I have some questions/suggestions about the charger:

The charger have a transformator? If so you can test the output voltaje and know what is the voltaje you need for the charger.
    Maybe you can get a bigger fan for the cooling fins.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    I'm not concerned about the charger though - it's just going to be powered by a typical AC wall plug. The fan that comes with it IS sufficient, but being as small as it is - it is very loud. I have all kinds of 12v fans from computer work over the years, we'll see what I come up with when the time comes! =)