Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Champion

Smile My FPV Summit

I've just joined the ranks! I ordered a Lawmate 1000mW 1.2ghz VTx/VRx combo, 360° pan servo, and tomorrow heading to futureshop to pick up a GoPro Hero2!

As some people here know, I've been messing around with my remote to make it a 10-channel thing, and I only started doing that because I had zip-tied my phone to my car, recorded it in 720p, and loved it and wanted to make a PAN & TILT system. I started to make one, but got carried away with my 10ch remote and never finished it.

I'm planning on making one of these so-called, "Geek Boxes" that basically houses your receiver, has a screen in it showing what your car sees, and can also record the live feed (incase something happens on the car, and the recording messes up - or you get your car stolen, you can see those last few frames while it's powered on and being kidnapped)

I'm pretty stoked, as in EXTREMELY stoked! There is a really large Summit FPV community, and I've posted a few times in their forum, but I'm about as n00b as they come there so I'm going to keep this thread active with the progress and hopefully get some of the folks here informed on how to mod their Summit's to do the same! I think this is within the forum rules ya?

RC Qualifier
    That's awesome! What kind of range do you expect?
    This is a signature.

That sounds very interesting.
    I like learning new stuff. I'm looking at a hero 2 as well. The 808 keychain cam is just not cutting it anymore... Lol. I wonder if it has anything to do with smashing into it a few dozen times...lol

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    That sounds very interesting.
    I like learning new stuff. I'm looking at a hero 2 as well. The 808 keychain cam is just not cutting it anymore... Lol. I wonder if it has anything to do with smashing into it a few dozen times...lol

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    That's a possibility.
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    I thought smashing a camera was a good thing?

As far as range goes, people have exceeded 700+ yards non LOS (Line Of Sight) but that's using a 72mhz radio. I'm not sure how far my remote will go outside of line of sight, but I am certain that so long as the car is within range of the radio, it will certainly be within range of the video. This specific radio seems to outperform the technically superior 900mhz as far as clarity and distance goes, so that's a really good thing. 1000mW or 1watt is super strong, and you actually need to have a license to legally use it - ... technicalities I'm working on, don't anyone get mad I live way in the middle of no-where, planes fly overhead at 30,000feet.

The transmitter that sits on the car supposedly gets VERY hot, and can burn out if you turn it on without the antenna plugged in! Scary stuff.

I didn't sleep all night, I'm like a little kid excited to wake up on Christmas day, only I'm spending my own money to go buy a Hero 2 cam hahah!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You crack me up Krall... lol

Keep us posted!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    BaBOOM!

Look at the SIZE of this thing! Pictures have never done it justice, that's a factory 1/16 battery, AA and AAA battery!

Just mounting it on the car now, going to go for a rip. I am slightly dissapointed that at 720p there is ONLY wide-angle lense, I thought the new ones could do "narrow" too, but it turns out ONLY at 1080p unless I get another lense, hmm we'll see. First ride comin' up!

RC Champion
    Here's a quick first test - mounted on the hood at 720p 60frames per second - between normal speed, and slowed down speed. I'm doing all kinds of tests now with 1080p, wide, medium, narrow FOV, then will do a 120fps test.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome! I just bookmarked this tread!
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    I wanted to "EDIT" Add this to my last post, but it's been too long. Ah well, here's 120fps video slowed down 500%

I was driving around with a loose mount, and it didn't work out for the camera haha. I couldn't see it from where I was standing but I assumed it was where I was driving, and I ended up with some cool shots - figured I'd share.

This is an FPV THREAD WITH NO FPV! Tomorrow, I'm gettin' it tomorrow hah

I'm posting this to show of course, how well the slomo works - it's no where near as low quality as I expected, 848x480 is pretty decent! But most importantly, that's looking directly at the sun, and the grass... still green! Didn't blind the camera, everyone says the GoPro is no good in various light conditions.. sure it's lousy in LOW light, but the sun doesn't seem to bother it at all, which is a HUGE plus imo!
    Last edited by krallopian; 04-29-2012 at 04:18 PM.

RC Champion
    Loooooky what I picked up!

Slightly peeved as the video cable from the GoPro ($10) is bad, very poor soldering I'm assuming, AND it's A/V is reversed.. no biggy I just have to remove the heat shrink and fix it up, it's just for paying $10 for a 50¢ thing and it doesn't work!?

Awesome video, flawless and virtually NO LAG at all, there's more lag on my monitor with HDMI off the camera, than there is live feed wireless, pretty awesome! I'm just going to rig up some wiring and I'll get something up here either a video or something shortly!

RC Champion
    After wiring up the servo, and using the PSP joystick, I think I'm no longer going for this route. Unfortunately the joystick just doesn't move enough physically, it's too small and it's hard to get a nice smooth movement. I think what I'm going to do instead is simply use a pot (like a volume knob) to rotate the camera. And actually while I'm thinking about it, I MIGHT even get rid of this 10-channel remote idea, and mount it all to a base station. What a shame, after all this work! I think I'm going to have a base station with the following:

4 channels - Pan Up/Down, Pan Left/Right, Main Lights On, Mainlights and Roof lights on

I will put a switch between the panning knobs, and a joystick. This way I can look up down left right, and it will auto center, OR if I want to pan left and STAY panned to where I'm looking, I can use knobs.

RC Champion
    So here's the first test of the FPV after fixing some wiring!

I hardwired the gopro av cable in to the transmitter, this GREATLY reduces the footprint within the vehicle - no rca cables all over the place. I also cut the end off the stock battery charger that came with my mini E-Revo and used it as the battery connection for now to my new Traxxas lipo. I bought a "video only" cable, and just added the audio wires to the 4pole mini 2.5mm jack. Set the channel to 8 (1280) and we're rockin'!

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to see some FPV action! How much do you into this system?
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    Camera: 299
    32gb SD Memory 30
    VTx/VRx 135
    Battery 35

is $563 already after taxes, holy CRAP. Don't ask me this question ever again, because I still have to make a base ground station hahaha, TV, batteries, switches, volt meters, connectors, uh yi yi, probably another $100 before I'm done.

HOWEVER this could be done for FAR less, ie:

cmos camera $15
    vtx/vrx $45
    lead acid batteries for screen and receiver $40
    4.5" ebay screen $25

That's $125 ($141 after taxes) for a video system, with a portable ground station and screen! I'm doing doing it as best as I can right now, using the very best video transmitter and receiver, the best camera (replayXD has better image out of the box, but Hero2 has better modularity, you can change the battery, there are all kinds of add-ons such as lenses etc..) and the best memory card, and the best everything, so instead of $125, it's so far at $563 after taxes.

The best thing about FPV is that there isn't any ONE system, it's not a very mature hobby because there is so much you need to know/understand to make it work, ESPECIALLY on the ground and so very few people get very far in it. I'm totally stoked though!

The ideal end situation will be:

Camera Replay XD $300
    Camera Hero 2 $300
    Lawmate VRx/VTx $135
    Lawmate VRx/VTx $135
    9.5" "Raw Panel" screen $105
    Traxxas 3s 1400mah for both transmitters on the car $35
    7000mah 12v pb battery for receivers - already own but $40
    7000mah 12v pb battery for other gear on the ground station - already own but $40
    360° pan servo $30
    DVR (to record what the FPV shows incase something happens to a camera) $80
    Video Splitter/Selector $40
    Various AV/Power/Control switches/connectors $60

That's $1300 (~ $1470 after taxes) for the ULTIMATE base station. I already have $560 paid for, $100 more in batteries, $30 in servo, $30 in connectors and switches, so really I have $730ish which works out to basically 50% of the system paid for!

All I NEED right now is a 12v screen ($100 for the one I WANT) and I'm ready to go full portable full fpv. Currently I'm just using my computer monitors or tvs to get by.

Long post, hope it's informative

Once again, $560ish for what I have now or just $140ish for a totally FINE and working system (cost of a new quality ESC) and almost $1500 for the ULTIMATE system haha.
    Last edited by krallopian; 05-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Not cheap but still super cool! When I get older I may do something like this. Thanks!
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    That's sick man you're workin at it like it's your job!! Hahahah, I gotta switch over to my lap top to see these videos
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    Well I just did the first test, and it worked! Well technically it worked. The camera battery is dead from all this OTHER testing, so there was no video footage, but the test was this:

Put the 1watt transmitter on the car, and drive the car with the 2.4ghz traxxas system, and see that there is no interference. First test passed! When I TOUCHED the car's receiver with the video transmitter's antenna, the steering whined a tad (like it does with the trim slightly off) and that was the ONLY interference. Again I'm using channel 8/1280mhz and with a phase lock loop it's tough to create any subharmonic interference with the traxxas link, they simply do NOT match up. Which is GOOD!

I drove down my hall and back, past all kinds of metal, brick, tile, and other various crap in this house, there was zero glitching and the video transmitter was only 4 inches away from the traxxas receiver on the car. PURDY AWESOME. Too bad the video camera battery is dead hahah FIGURES.

RC Champion
    I wish you could ALWAYS JUST EDIT your posts, I hate having to add a new one each time. Either way, I was just reading more on the whole, "no no no 1.2ghz will kill your 2.4ghz range!! Do NOT use 1.2 or 1.3 with a 2.4ghz rc controller!!" So I got scared and quickly strapped the transmitter and battery to the rear post of the Summit, and took off as far as I could see, behind trees, under fences, about 300yards away... very hard to control without a camera, EITHER WAY, no glitching at all.. the car did EXACTLY what I told it to do! Awesome.. again, no video, I need to make a proper mount for the pan and tilt etc until I get actual video, but to clear it up and for the record - 1280mhz 1000mW does NOT affect the range of the Summit using the high-output TQ remote, thank you Traxxas!! Awesome.

Some zip ties for the VTx...

Some more zipties for the lipo! (this was taken when I got back from the drive)

*** Edit

Haha just before it's too LATE to edit, I have to add one thing: I AM SO EXCITED about this! I'm like a little kid on his birthday, to see these pictures and videos, and know they are MINE!?! That's totally awesome, I hope to heck someone else here does this to their Summit as well because it's so incredibly cool!
    Last edited by krallopian; 05-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Finally got around to my lap top to check those videos, that's the coolest thing you could have done!! lol as if you went ahead and did that it's awesome!

I definitely want to do something like this this but I'd need to find a good unit I can just buy and not have to mod too much

RC Champion
    I just did my FIRST FPV drive! WICKED.

Now, I was sitting in my kitchen, with the receiver laying flat down on my table, the go-pro camera simply wedged in between the ESC and the tranny and the transmitter just ziptied to the back post. I drove around my house slowly, then outside and lost RC connection because I was just sitting down, between my body, three brick walls, an old iron wood stove, 5-6 trees, and a hill... all I had to do was raise the remote 6" and I got control again! These remotes are awesome and this video is pretty cool, BUT THE PROBLEM is I didn't record the FPV view I only recorded the onboard and at 120fps!! So I'm re-rendering it, going for dinner and will have it on youtube in a couple hours. I'm pretty ecstatic!

RC Champion
    Unedited from start to finish of recording. Again, sorry I didn't record the actual FPV screen, oops... next time ONCE I build a proper mount hah!

RC Champion
    I have a limited supply of .... supplies to make a brace/bracket/support system for the FPV, so instead of cutting it up, finding "oops should realized" I've decided to quickly model up the chassis of the summit. It's not to scale or anything, it's just a quick buncha shapes as placeholders for the real thing, then I'll model up a support system based on this. I was talking to a friend and they said, "wow have you shown the guys on the forum, they'd die!" .... I don't want anyone to die, but here y'ar!

RC Champion
    So I redid the chassis, much more to scale... and then came up with a super simple mount for the camera, this would work with the stock body - since the stock body has such low windows, there wouldn't be a need for a tilt, so I've rigged it up to have just a PAN at "eye" level of the truck!

Here's how it would look:

Basically there is a servo, camera, transmitter, battery, and second receiver (in a traxxas box) for my second rc transmitter to control the pan, lights, and other things. I'm not sure if I'll need another esc or whatever to power the second receiver, I don't know how the EVX2 will handle it, if it doesn't - what are my options, I always read "UBEC" or "BEC" or whatever.. I don't know what is out there for this sort of application in the rc world.

RC Qualifier
    These are the kind of times we could do without the language filter!

All I can say is holy CRAP, that's amazing lol rediculous range, I want this for sure hands down, sign me up

how much was the fpv gear? **edit> cancel that, I see.. how about, where can I find that gear?

I want range, that's all I care for with fpv on my 52" that'd be ballin lol, I'm not concerned with a portable system unless the cost wouldn't be much more

so what do I need other than the go pro2 and where can I find the stuff?

I don't think I'll ever have the skills or patience to make a panning system for the camera but maybe I can figure something out
    Last edited by TQi; 05-02-2012 at 11:05 PM.

RC Champion
    I got my stuff from a guy in Woodbridge, he's the #1 man according to the top FPV sites I've been at! How convenient! Again as I wrote, you can buy "normal" stuff for $40-60 but I bought the best of the best to ensure range.

$299 for the Hero2 at Futureshop till ..... TODAY the 3rd, then it goes back up to $350.

Panning system is easy, the easiest way to do it for a "noob" is to just hook up the pan servo to your steering! That way when you turn, the camera turns too

Thanks TQi - whoever you are - you and Jimmie keep this thread and my excitement going! It's funny, I refresh the "Summit" page all the time, and I see 10-15 views an hour on this, but never any posts and what little estrogen I have inside me says, "pfft fine you don't like it enough to post? Eugh what am I doing this for!" and it makes me REALIZE, I get the most enjoyment out of this hobby by SHARING things, and doing things so I can SHOW them! Show off!? Aw man...

Anyway, it's EASY do it do it!

I cannot always watch, but I am reading everything... and am very impressed.
    I tend to not say anything....

I would rather be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post

I'm not sure if I'll need another esc or whatever to power the second receiver, I don't know how the EVX2 will handle it, if it doesn't - what are my options, I always read "UBEC" or "BEC" or whatever.. I don't know what is out there for this sort of application in the rc world.
    For your question, you just need a BEC (or its varient - SBEC, UBEC) to power the second receiver. And that is also only if the existing BEC in the ESC that you have is unable to provide sufficient amps to both receivers (and the electronics attached to them). If I were you, just to be on the safe side and not overload the internal BEC of the ESC, i would simply buy a separate BEC (I got one from HK for like 7-10 USD), power the BEC through one of the batteries (perhaps the one you or using to power the FPV transmitter, in case if that is underutilized after the driving), and hook the BEC output in the second receiver.

Thinking further, what additional electronics will be on the 2nd receiver. If is it only one additional servo for the PAN, the internal BEC may actually be able to take it. Good Luck!

BTW: Love what you are doing there.. and I sure was stunned with the modeling that you have done there. Wish I could also do it.

Regards,

RC Enthusiast
    How much time did you use to make your 3D model?

- Jaime Garcia.
    -Jaime Garcia
    Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Thanks guys, now I no longer feel like I have a private journal on the forum haha!

Thanks for the info on the BEC it's good to know that's all I'll need, and that it's not going to be ANOTHER $50-100 part.

Cachorrondo, I spent longer than I wanted to.. the initial layout - the esc, motor, servo, receiver box, vents - took about and hour between measuring and modelling, the rest - like the decals on the battery, motor, the tires/wheels, body etc.. took another hour or so, then RENDERING took the longest, 3 hours to render the outside view, and I cut the inside one short because it was already 9pm!

It's been a long day already today, I just got back and though I'm not SUPER excited about the scale of it, I'm super excited about the interior, roll bars, details, "mounting spots" etc..

I started looking up 1:8/1:6 scale Jeep bodies that everyone DOESN'T use, and I found a few online but people are asking $150 for them!??! So I looked around locally and found that the SOURCE had ONE Jeep in stock, "17" long" vs the 20" Summit body, I figured close enough, $70, why not!

Looks good so far:

Pretty much perfect:

Alright alright!

... oh

Now that's not SO bad, I can work something out I'm sure, but the interior is the perfect size and the right amount of detail, I'll take a few pics from the inside with the go pro to show how it looks shortly!

VERY hard to hold and move the camera by hand through the windows/roof of the truck, but here's an idea of the POV:

Last edited by krallopian; 05-03-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added video link

RC Qualifier
    That's a nice fpv body, reminds me of that one dude from germany I think who had the dolls riding in the seats lol

I found that site mann I'm glad it's so close! I should have a nice bit of cash saved in about another 6 weeks.. brutal lol, oh well it'll be all the more sweeter when I finally get a Summit! actually I'm still not sure between this and the xo-1, I'm always changing my mind we'll see

RC Champion
    Smarten up! Summit or XO-1!?

It's like living on a dirt road asking, "Should I get a truck, or a Ferrari?" .... Ferrari would be ruined and useless and you can't even use it! TRUCK.. in this case, SUMMIT!

There are SO many people who have done the TONKA on a SUMMIT body, there's a forum I've been frequenting and there's a 129 page thread of all different people who have done the TONKA route. $100-700 for a body now, because the people that still have their '70s toys know their value.. though $700 is slightly insane imo.

The body I have, I've never seen used, so I'm glad to be paving a new road. It's great, though the hood doesn't open - yet - the steering wheel is screwed in, so that means I can hook it up to a servo to turn when I turn. The battery fits perfectly in the rear case thing, and the antenna fits perfectly in the rear spare tire!

Here's the battery in the tray

The body was messy, poor trimming

Cleaned up

The steering wheel!

Here's how the front sits now, I took the bumper off the Jeep, I think it looks great! (still not mounted)

Another awesome bit of luck: The SUMMIT LIGHT BAR fits perfectly across!! Trouble is the light buckets need to be trimmed, OR the roll bar needs to be trimmed to let them sit down.

.. back to work!
    Last edited by krallopian; 05-03-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: ... mixed up pictures

RC Qualifier
    lol I know but the speeed maan! haha

That thing's coming along quick, it's gunna look nice

Oh and I was lost on that site, should I get the same transmitter/receiver you have?

I want the most range possible without interfering with anything, especially the TQ of course but does the 1.2 GHz mean it has half the range of he TQ or is that just a different frequency? I don't know, I'm lost on this entire subject

RC Champion
    So that I don't risk confusing you, go read up about FPV 900mhz vs 1.2/1.3ghz vs 2.4 vs 5.8...

Simple answer, is NO the 1.2 is not half the range.

In regards to my truck, yeah, it WAS coming along quick, but I'm stumped on how to mount it. Because it doesn't go over both the front and rear mounts, I have to come up with something that either does an L shape from the real mount, or.... drill in to the chassis to mount the rear. I want to have something that allows me to remove the body without the need for a screw driver, but it's not lookin' good so far.

RC Qualifier
    Alright, I'll read up on it sometime, I'll probably end up getting the same thing you did though and I'll learn from there

grab some bigger batts, unless you're concerned about something else

RC Champion
    Nope, and if you do get it make sure you never turn on the transmitter without the antenna tightened on, if you do not have it the antenna on, you will burn out the transmitter. That's about it!

Still sitting here staring at this body that is NOT attached. Thing is I need hardware that I don't have, so I'm in between "do I just drill in to the chassis?" and "... wait till tomorrow"

Wait until tomorrow.
    No need to rush...

RC Qualifier
    Good to know, thanks

ahh, take a break lol

RC Champion
    Thinking about taking a break.. we'll see haha! It's only been a 10 hour day, I've still got till 2-3am that's....... at least another 6 hours.

Big storm here, bloody all DAY here but after a while of working on something with my UPS (UN-INTERRUPTABLE power supply) it decided it was a prime time to be interrupted - after a while of not saving what I was working on. Computer just shut right off, insta 1500's all over again

I'm working on a mounting idea that I think will be pretty slick!

The body will house everything for the FPV: Battery, Transmitter, secondary receiver, servos, lights etc.. so if I take it off, there won't be any wires holding it to the main chassis.

The body will be mounted via the roll bar, there are six connections to the body from the roll bar, so why not use the roll bar to connect to six unique places on the chassis! It'd be nice to come up with some sort of snap on, sort of like a clip or latch for each leg of the roll bar.

The blue is the existing roll cage, the red is where it would connect/snapin and the white is representative of some sort of standoffs - all I have are aluminum right now, but whatever.. copper, steel who cares. I guess after drawing it out, it's not the BEST idea as it's very central support. I might make a frame underneath as I showed in my video above with the original pan idea... and mount the body to THAT. HMmmmmm that may work a lot better.
    Last edited by krallopian; 05-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.

RC Champion
    Well, I only made it to 2:30am last night. Another long day, started with getting the wrong aluminum, then wrong servo, then finally - dinner time - I got what I was looking for and started in on THIS:

Here's a video (it's not going to be online for another 15 minutes at least according to Youtube but I'm getting back to work and don't want to wait!)