RC Qualifier

What size motor does the blast take?

What size motor does the blast take?

Has anyone put in a 1/16 vehicle brushless system in a blast? Does it drop right in using the stock motor mount?
    Lots of brushless power in the garage.

RC Racer
    I think its a 540. I think other people have put the 1;16 in it, I would go 1;10

RC Qualifier
    What is the biggest NiMH battery that will fit in the stock blast? 7 cell? 8 cell?

RC poster
    The stock motor is a 540, a 1/16 will not just drop right in. You'll have to modify your mounts to do so. You'll also have to change your driveshaft and coupling to accommodate the recessed setting of a new motor.

The 7 cell flat will fit if you modify the hull just a hare to allow the pack to have room. However, be careful what you stick in. The Traxxas packs are lighter than Onyx or others, significantly lighter by 1/3. The other packs will soak the boat from the front and drive the bow down... making the boat a b*tch to drive. Been there, done that, won't be doing it again.

I'll put my build thread up today. I've put a Hobby Wing 35Amp ESC and 3900KV brushless. Now I'm just waiting on my CEN Racing coupling and shaft to arrive. I'll be running the stock 7.2 nimh as I have about half a dozen of them between mine and my sons toys.

Its not that a 1/16 motor will not fit, it just will take additional work to make it happen. If you have decent skills to do so, its easy.

RC Qualifier
    I have the skills and experience to do just about anything relating to RC.

I'm turning my new Blast into a recovery/rescue boat. Since the Blast stock ESC does not even have reverse I'm going to drop in an inexpensive 1/10 brushless ESC and motor. Gotta have reverse on a retrieval boat to get it in perfect position when needed. I've been stuck out in the middle of a pond with no wind at all for hours waiting for the boat to come in because I forgot my fishing pole retrieval rig. Not going to do that anymore with this baby

I chose the blast to do this because it has that steerable outdrive and can turn tight at very low speeds unlike a regular rudder that has to be moving forward in order to turn a boat. Might be a bit overkill but thatís the way ...uh-huh...uh-huh... I like it. Going to power it with one or two of my smaller 2S 2200 lipos that I also use for my 1/16th Rally on non-boating days.

I've built a forward facing wide "basket" out of CPVC pipe to attach it to the front of the boat. The basket will be half in and half out of the water. Pipe insulation on the arms at the water surface will serve as its own floatation so the bow will not be all down in the water from weight. I'll be able to "scoop" any helpless boats out of the water with ease....and fast if I want.

RC poster
    jlanders001... HECK YEAH! Great idea. If you got the skill, do whatever and take pics. People love to see the work of others. Keep us posted! I fortunately live where the average wind speed is 10mph for 8 hours a day... A beverage later and the boats on shore in the nearby pond :-)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-01-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Removed reference to adult beverage.

RC Qualifier
    Oh man. Sometimes in the dead summer here in Central SC we go for days without hardly a slight breeze. A stagnent sweaty, humid mess is what it is....but I love it all the same. Hardly any winter at all. I don't think it got below freezing this year more than twice. It was in the 50's 90% of the winter. There's not really an off season for RC boating. Anytime of year ya want to go... you just go....with a light jacket maybe....maybe.

RC poster
    Man... I'm jealous. My sister in law owns a house in the Carolinas. Although we didn't get to cold ourselves, a mild winter if you will, we still have our wind. It's blowing an 8.5 constant right now with periodic gusts of about 15. Sad thing is, the periodic gust is about every 30 seconds....

RC poster
    I put the 1/16 th scale velineon (380) motor and ESC in my blast after running the 1/10th scale setup. If you
    want a direct drop-in system, go with the 540 combo. You'll have to do a few mods to run the 1/16th scale
    set-up, but you have more room to work with. the big thing is cooling. The aluminum spool works well on the motor. If
    you run a fan on the ESC, you covered. But you gotta get custom with the 1/16 scale setup. And 3s lipos, your looking bout
    11 minutes of run time before you go into thermal shutdown mode, less if you don't cool it right. 2s is what your looking for.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ALL OF THIS IS FROM MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH TRAXXAS PARTS ONLY^^^^^^^^^^^
    My boat,esc,motor,lipos,radio,everything is Traxxas, all less than a 6 months old

RC Qualifier
    Could not see the pic. Just had the path.

RC poster
    Yea, I'm not having any luck uploading pics to this forum

You have to use an image host to post pictures here. See this how-to for more details:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...sting-Tutorial.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guy - I can't tell you how thrilled I am to find a thread on the Blast that's not from 2003. I am hoping I can get some opinions from you guys. I have a new blast I bought a month ago - I went out and after only two or three outings, decided to go brushless. I went with this 9t, brushless 4300kv motor. http://www.hobbypartz.com/3650m-sl-4...ess-motor.html
    It dropped right in. Used the same cooling, worked well. I also added a Seaking 35a ESC. I H20 cooled the ESC as well. I tell you what, two water pickup in the same bracket make the boat turn right A LOT. Anyone else do a 2nd H20 loop for ESC? Also, what the heck is the bracket on the stock pickup for?

Thanks!