Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Santa drives a Toyota!?!?!?!?

True, every brand has their highs and lows. I can't haul a 30-foot trailer or run a 12 second 1/4 mile, but it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Santa drives a Toyota!?!?!?!?

True, every brand has their highs and lows. I can't haul a 30-foot trailer or run a 12 second 1/4 mile, but it's all good.
    BBC Top Gear was the very firs to drive a car to the northpole with no assisted from anything else. They did it in comfort with a Toyota Hilux.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

if taken care of and not neglected like most people vehicles are i say dodge for trucks.

Have you looked into the quad cab dakota? its actually a mid size truck so its a compramise of both worlds. plenty of room, good amounts of power, and still halfway decent fuel economy. i like the older square body dakotas myself but i think there more reliable. they dont offer the quad cab until 97 at the earliest when they switched to the first round body. i have two square bodies one is extended cab 6 foot box with the 3.9L gets about 20mpg highway and had 175hp stock in 94, the other is a standard cab long bed 4x4 with a 318 5.2L but i cant tell you the mileage on it because its not road worthy yet and is just a mud toy. my buddy has a 93 that is extended cab 6 foot box with the 318 in it though only 2wd and he still gets 20mpg and they had 230hp in them.

just some options for you though. i know my buddy with an 02 quad cab 2wd dakota rocking the 4.7L v8 gets about 15.5mpg highway with a heavier foot. the newer ones are even more powerful then that with better mileage though.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Toyota's have proven to be incredible trucks. Idc what YouTube says. Ford raptors has problems with the frames bending but that doesn't me its not a good truck. Every brand has issues. But I just preferred the Toyota truck. Only a Toyota has made it to the northpole lol
    The Raptor has to go 120 mph over an 8 foot jump to start having problems. You can't even reach those speeds stock, they put a speed limiter on them.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    OK so now your switching up on this?

Sheesh,,,, Next thing I bet you ask about is an MPG monster like a Hybrid... Just seems you scaling down due to fuel considerations... Just saying...

If you have kids, forget the camaro, unless you have a shoe horn in the glove box for the passengers... That rear seat is tiny!
    Yeap. I love the new Camaro enough to buy on looks alone. I come from a GM family (they drive them and work in the factories) Still I got a 2 year old and the car isn't practical. For the time being it looks like I will be trading Impreza for Impreza for a while still to come. Even with that I go WRX over STI, just more economical and practical.

Back to the pickup issue. Really the way to do it is to buy something you can pay cash for. The gas pump crunch isn't nearly as bad when you don't have payments. I still have and plan to keep my old 15-MPG Tahoe.

I agree as some have said. Please do yourself a favor and take care and maintain your vehicles. Doing so though may cause back pain, as your wallet will be a bit heavier in the long run.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 04-29-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    Toyota's have proven to be incredible trucks. Idc what YouTube says. Ford raptors has problems with the frames bending but that doesn't me its not a good truck. Every brand has issues. But I just preferred the Toyota truck. Only a Toyota has made it to the northpole lol

Ok Emaxx2.0 my ecoboost f-150 vs. your toyota in a race and we will see who wins

This is supposed to be informative and suggestive information for the poster?... Looks more like a This Vs. That post. Let's keep this on Topic or the thread will be closed
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 04-30-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: This Vs That
    Yep still not fast enough. :)

RC Competitor
    Ok I will be mad when my dad loses a job because he works at ford
    Yep still not fast enough. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mamba man View Post
    Ok Emaxx2.0 my ecoboost f-150 vs. your toyota in a race and we will see who wins

This is supposed to be informative and suggestive information for the poster?... Looks more like a This Vs. That post. Let's keep this on Topic or the thread will be closed
    Really? So a trucks dependability is fully bashed on a drag race and nothing else? Grow up kid. Do you even own a f-150 or you just going to base on specs you read off a website to bash on a forum? Also it very unfair to compare a full size Turbo charged truck to a small to mid size naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. I love the Tacoma nothing wrong with that just like others like what they have. Why is there always a contest? Are these companies paying people to defendthe product?
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 04-30-2012 at 01:56 PM.

RC Champion
    Guys lets keep this straight please, I'm not really biased about vehicle brands. Whatever works well for an individual is good in my book.
    Thanks so much to each of you for the input, I'm still looking but I'll make sure to update this thread when it is on my driveway God willing.
    Matthew 7:7

OK. I have no problem people recommending brand BC that's what they own. Its just the people that can't even drive yet are recommending or bashing vehicles base on what the internet/youtube says or their parents. Ford is a legendary truck but the raptor has had the frame bending issues and that problem was reported by owners driving the truck on a official Ford off road test course and they were not doing a full 120mph....Ford did not cover the frame under warranty. Dodge and Chevy has it share of recalls and the Thundra was hit with a premature rusting problem with its frame. Yet all these great companies have stood behind and got every issue fixed. As for the Tacoma nay sayers. The US army rangers were using a extended cap base Tacoma in Iraq that was stripped and slightly modded to support the team... but nothing done to the engine. They use those trucks BC they are know for reliability, very quiet yet powerful engines and light enough to track over the terrain without any issues. The Toyota has proven itself a worthy truck just like the other brands have.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 04-30-2012 at 09:37 PM.

RC Champion
    I hear you, but you have to agree that sometimes people do get lemons or 'cherries' (odd extremely well performing vehicles). No two trucks are exactly the same,
    I've seen the Tacoma do its job and it does it well

Dodge makes a awesome truck too. My grandpa has a 2500serie king cab and extended bed and that Cummings just pins you to the seat....while hauling a tractor. He hit and ran over huge tree stumps and nothing has failed but the rear bumper lol.

RC Champion
    Dodge makes a awesome truck too. My grandpa has a 2500serie king cab and extended bed and that Cummings just pins you to the seat....while hauling a tractor. He hit and ran over huge tree stumps and nothing has failed but the rear bumper lol.
    Haha yeah, the rear bumper, that's the only part on our '95 Ram 1500 that has a dent in it

RC Qualifier
    Imo, all of the trucks out right now are good(big3 and toyota). Although if I were to get a ram, it would have to be a cummins.I am a ford guy but the 5.3 in the chevy's is a great motor, the duramax and powerstrokes are good. The 5.7 in the tundra is a beast as well as the new ecoboost. We have a 2007 suburban 4x4 with the 5.3 and it pulled a boat pushing 7000lbs loaded pretty good. It didn't pull it near as well as our 2005 f250 powerstroke but for what it is, it did a heck of a job. Fyi, the 5.3 is a modern chevy 327ci small block
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Qualifier
    Your new friend.

The Taco's get 20+ if you do a lot of freeway and are easy on the gas. Even if you're not easy on the gas they do alright. My step-mom and father in law both have newer models (05' and 07' respectively) and love them. The NEWEST Fords I believe get pretty good mileage, due to the strict guidelines in place to lower fuel usage. Chevy and Dodge are playing catch up in that respect, and I have a feeling Toyota will be doing a motor revamp in the near future as their Tundra motor is starting to lag behind on MPG. There are also Nissans to look at, but they put out less power and get worse mileage than the Toyotas so there ya go.

Really it's a matter of personal preference, then going to that link above and checking out the EPA rated MPG as well as what customers say they get. I'll tell you this though, through all the vehicles I've owned, worked on, and helped others with, the cost/value/reliability has been as follows, with no bias beyond calling it like I've seen it: Toyota > Nissan > Chevy > Ford > Anything Else > Dodge. The 'looks' scale is much different than that, especially with the new bodys Dodge and Ford are sporting lately, but I only buy my food based on how it looks

If you're stuck on full-size domestics I would get a 1/2 ton Chevy or Ford with the smallest V8 they have. I don't know enough about the reliability of the newer V6's to recommend them but they may be alright as well. If you're willing to downsize a tad and want to stay domestic, the Canyon is a good choice. On a semi-related note I think the Toyotas actually have more of the assembly and parts made/done here in the US than some of the big 3 do, food for thought But really, go test drive a Taco and give it a good half throttle or more and you'll walk away with it, especially if it's got the aftermarket exhaust...a 4.0 with TRD exhaust isn't as awesome as an old big block, but it's a good compromise!
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I think the EcoBoost gets 21-25 mpg. Not bad for a quarter-ton, but you can do some upgrades on the engine so you gan get even more.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

I have a 2011 F-150 EcoBoost in my shop this week. It has roughly 25,000 miles on it and is in fantastic condition. I got in it and the display on the dash read "avg. fuel mileage- 9.0mpg". Not sure what the owner was doing before he brought it in, but it just goes to show that you can't believe everything that you read.

OK. I have no problem people recommending brand BC that's what they own. Its just the people that can't even drive yet are recommending or bashing vehicles base on what the internet/youtube says or their parents.
    Amen to that! Happens all the time and you just gotta shake your head. A 14-year-old recommending a truck is like me recommending a good hair conditioner.
    Last edited by harry697; 05-03-2012 at 06:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 2011 F-150 EcoBoost in my shop this week. It has roughly 25,000 miles on it and is in fantastic condition. I got in it and the display on the dash read "avg. fuel mileage- 9.0mpg". Not sure what the owner was doing before he brought it in, but it just goes to show that you can't believe everything that you read.
    Funny. I actually just took a 100 mile drive with my 5.9 liter tundra and got 19.5 mph. I typically average 15ish

RC Champion
    Amen to that! Happens all the time and you just gotta shake your head. A 14-year-old recommending a truck is like me recommending a hair conditioner
    I agree mostly, but some younger men are very up to date on the latest models, their specifications, and many have family members that own the vehicles.
    Not saying this is always the case, because it's clearly not. But I research everything that is said, by anyone, and I take a 14 year old seriously. I was one once

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Crewmax View Post
    Funny. I actually just took a 100 mile drive with my 5.9 liter tundra and got 19.5 mph. I typically average 15ish
    That's really good, a relative owns a Tundra with the 5.9 liter and the best he ever gets is 15.4 haha.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Crewmax View Post
    Er, do you mean 5.7? Unless you bored it out there's actually an 09' Crewmax 4x4 with about 29k miles sitting on a lot down the street for under $30k...the wife and I keep driving by and looking at it. I fear it's only a matter of time...
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Competitor
    My 2007 New Body Style Chevy 1500 Crew Cab Z71 has almost 200,000 miles on it and haven't had a single problem with it.

Before the lift and 35's it would get 27 mpg going 70 on the highway because of the 4 cylinder shut off.

Only maintenance has been routine oil changes, spark plugs/wires, air filters, trans filter/fluid change, as well as the front diff, rear end, and transfer case. Other than that no broken parts or problems!

-JuRRd

Quote Originally Posted by JuRRd87 View Post
    My 2007 New Body Style Chevy 1500 Crew Cab Z71 has almost 200,000 miles on it and haven't had a single problem with it.

Before the lift and 35's it would get 27 mpg going 70 on the highway because of the 4 cylinder shut off.

Only maintenance has been routine oil changes, spark plugs/wires, air filters, trans filter/fluid change, as well as the front diff, rear end, and transfer case. Other than that no broken parts or problems!

Now that is a beautiful truck. Dirty, tough and stylish.

RC Qualifier
    As soon as it's in the U.S. I will be at the dealer buying me one of these

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    That's really good, a relative owns a Tundra with the 5.9 liter and the best he ever gets is 15.4 haha.
    I have a 5.7L Tundra Crewmax and if you stay out of it you can get 18+ mpg. But if you do a lot of city driving and a heavy foot 15 ish will be your MPG. If they would bump that up 20% it would be great. For daily commute me and the wife have cars that get 30+ and they are both over 8yrs. I've driven & riden in all trucks. To me if you are/ do buy a truck take a spin in all of them see what fits you the best. Then sit and think if you see yourself driving that day after day. Then also figure in how many times you might have to take the vehicle to the shop and if you do is it local or are you going to have to make a road trip to get it worked on from the dealership. I'm partial to my Tundra, but i'm not this finatic ( like some ive read on here that like cutting throats on their BRANDS ) push it down your throat and buy it.

If i had the ka-ching i'd probably have a whse full of cars/ trucks.

Jersey Crewmax is right on there. What he posted is what i get on road trips and round town driving.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Good catch, 5.7 is right.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    Er, do you mean 5.7? Unless you bored it out there's actually an 09' Crewmax 4x4 with about 29k miles sitting on a lot down the street for under $30k...the wife and I keep driving by and looking at it. I fear it's only a matter of time...
    Oh yeah sorry haha 5.7 liter.

RC Qualifier
    I'm sorry but no way you're getting 27mpg with that wether before the lift or not. Our 2007 suburban struggles to get 18mpg on the interstate even with the v4 mode. Not trying to argue but thats just no possible.
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang63.1 View Post
    I'm sorry but no way you're getting 27mpg with that wether before the lift or not. Our 2007 suburban struggles to get 18mpg on the interstate even with the v4 mode. Not trying to argue but thats just no possible.
    Quite possible, just like I stated I averaged 27 mpg driving from Illinois to California, roughly 2000 miles at an average speed of 70 mph.

If you look at the specs your Suburban is 200-300lbs heavier than my Silverado was when it was stock. My Silverado weighed 5,371 lbs and depending on what model your Suburban is it could weigh anywhere from 5,677 to 6,327 lbs.

My Silverado's fuel tank was 26 gal where a Suburban's can be anywhere from 31-39 gal, there is more weight there.

Also depending on what model you have your rear end gear is probably different from mine, another reason why you don't see the fuel economy that I saw.

Also there have been wind tunnel tests that prove that the Drag Coefficient of your Suburban is way lower (lower is worse in this case) than my Silverado.

Just because you don't see the numbers I had doesn't mean it didn't happen or it isn't possible.
    -JuRRd

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Just get a Chevy Kodiak and crush 'em all!! LOL!! Personally, I love my '03 Ford F-150. I bought it new and only a fuel pump replacement so far. For me, only American marques will do. I am just trying to buy American brands if I can. I am not trying to start any sort of war. I know Hondas are made in the US and some Fords are made in Canada, and I know maybe you can get more bang for your buck with an import, but it's a personal choice for me and my wife. I love my F-150, Escape, Mustang and Harley! Imagine how our economy would be if everyone tried to buy EVERYTHING made in the USA! (yes, I realize we'd have no clothing or electronics, but things could only get better for our economy)
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    I have a 2011 F-150 EcoBoost in my shop this week. It has roughly 25,000 miles on it and is in fantastic condition. I got in it and the display on the dash read "avg. fuel mileage- 9.0mpg"
    He must have been doing something wrong!
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Things would be better over time if we did purchase everything US made. But that's practically impossible nowadays and most countries make some pretty good stuff too.
    I can't' stress enough buying locally, in your town.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    He must have been doing something wrong!
    Yeah really, or his gauge is off lol.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Things would be better over time if we did purchase everything US made. But that's practically impossible nowadays and most countries make some pretty good stuff too.
    I can't' stress enough buying locally, in your town.
    Not only buying the vehicles from the USA but the parts that complete these trucks. I'd be all over them. The Tundra is more American made than the American mades. I read a few articles on that. No war here. Its online. LOL Besides the money going overseas well buying the parts is the same difference.

Yeah really, or his gauge is off lol.
    Hope he's not looking at the MPG while coasting!! LOL My first '07 Tundra showed the actual MPG you were getting at any point in time. i seen 99.0 MPG. LOL but the average was around 15.5 - 18 MPG typically.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I know we are talking about smaller trucks, but we had an F-450 home a year ago and it averaged 15 mpg. Diesel, not the gas one.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL