RC Qualifier

Ken Block Fiesta Gymkhana Brushed Edition

Yesterday i was switching out spur gears from the stock 45 tooth to a 55 tooth, and now it makes this weird sound, hard to describe but it also is slower than it used to be and it stops quicker without me even braking just let go of throttle and it basically stops in 1 second, its really wierd and im wondering what it could possible be, this car has been nothing but issues ever since i got it. idk if its bad luck or what but its fun when its actually up and running lol

Is this your first hobby-grade RC? Did you properly mesh the pinion and spur gears? It could be that they are too tight.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Going from a 45T to a 55T spur will slow it down. If you are looking for more speed, either a smaller spur or a larger pinion is needed. As for the noise, like Double G says, check your mesh. If it is too tight it will sound nasty and stop quick.
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

RC Qualifier
    How do I mesh them?

RC Competitor
    This is from the manual...

I usually just loosen the motor mount screw just enough so the motor can barely move and then prop up the wheels so they don't touch. Then I turn everything on and run it (you don't have to do this at full speed), tightening the mesh until it starts to sound like its binding then back it off til the sound goes away. Tighten there and you are good to go.
    Last edited by Smittyz; 04-25-2012 at 03:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    wow i did exactly what that said not to do, i loosened the bottom screw... what happens now? because the bottom screw wont go in now for some reason?

RC Competitor
    I don't think its that big of a deal really. Just remove the motor all of the way, then you can access the piece on the other side of that screw and re-tighten it.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah i did that, and the bottom screw wouldent go all the way in but i screwed in the main one at the top and i ran it and it still made a little sound but i ran it anyways, i got a 45 tooth spur gear on the way, hopefully thats it.