Boone722

Anyone running the monster buggy??

I have been watching for a monster buggy on flebay but have not seen any.Anyone running a monster buggy?? I would like to add one to my growing collection someday.How about a fair market price for one.Thanks in advance for any responce.

RC Qualifier
    theres one for 898$ at my lhs i think its 898$
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Racer
    Make us a new 4x4 gasser traxxas. Look how well the hpi baja is selling.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hal001
    Make us a new 4x4 gasser traxxas. Look how well the hpi baja is selling.
    yeah exactly traxxas just make it under $1000.00
    so you will be competitive.

RC Qualifier
    but you can buy the knock off baja buggy for $500, same thing as hpi's baja and uses all the same parts. I got one and love it, only diff is the radio box from hpi's.
    VXL Bandit, Rustler, Stampede,slash, Baja 5b & 5t

RC Racer
    The way I understood it was that the the knock off used cheaper materials and wasn't as durable or well-made as the HPI baja. But besides that, if HPI invested all that time and money into the development of the baja, I would buy it from them anyway just because I think it's destructive to the industry to buy from the people that steal other companies' work. It's the companies that invest money into product development that keep the industry alive.

I'm sure traxxas take that into consideration, since they have to charge enough for their products to recover the costs of the development process as well as the manufacturing costs

RC Qualifier
    I would say it's just as durable. In fact before I purchased it, I found some info online with another forum, a guy bought one and compared all of it to his hpi, some parts were either the same or actually beefier than hpi's. Same motor, same exact wheels and tires. I can't complain. I've bashed it pretty good and it's held up. Installed a DDM pipe and that really woke her up, my 3.3 tmax could not even come close to it off road flats and my sons vxl gets smoked off road.

RC Champion
    How can they sell a knock off for so much cheaper with the same quality parts, actually with some beefier parts? I don't think it probably would be the same quality. Knock offs are nearly always lower in quality. And being in New York, knock offs are everywhere . The downtown streets are literally covered with them.

RC Racer
    T-Maxx .15 / Slash XL-5

RC Qualifier
    I've been into r/c for over 30 years, I think the quality of this knock-off is fine. I had a monster buggy years back and it was fun, but not as durable as the baja set-up. And to me, to save close to $500 for the same thing, that was worth it. They are both (hpi and king motors) made overseas.

RC Qualifier

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LakesCraft
    but you can buy the knock off baja buggy for $500, same thing as hpi's baja and uses all the same parts. I got one and love it, only diff is the radio box from hpi's.
    I bet you're a huge Integy fan too
    HPI Baja 5B
    T-maxx--->Going E ----> back to T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildjones
    I bet you're a huge Integy fan too
    You're real funny. No, not an Integy fan. I've been into r/c's for over 30 years. Everything I have is traxxas with the exception on the baja clone. Or maybe HPI cloned from King Motors. Either way, what I bought was a good buy and just as durable as the HPI model. Can't blame a guy for wanting to save that kind of money.

RC Racer
    So you've been "into RCs" for over 30 years and you think the hobby is about SAVING money?
    I mean, I could understand if you got a good deal on an authentic HPI Baja, but buying a cheap rip-off isn't so much saving money as buying something inferior instead. And I don't believe for a second that it's as a good a product as the real thing, or that it's a good moral choice. I've read that the diffs are crap, the plastic is cheap and heavy, the radio is poor and that generally things start to go wrong during the first few months of ownership. But even if you can replace all those parts for less total cost than the HPI baja, you're essentially hindering the hobby as a whole because you're encouraging the theft of a company's work and discouraging another company from spending money on R&D for the future of the hobby for fear of having their work stolen.

So yes, you can blame a guy for wanting to save that kind of money, if they're doing it for the wrong reasons

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LakesCraft
    You're real funny. No, not an Integy fan. I've been into r/c's for over 30 years. Everything I have is traxxas with the exception on the baja clone. Or maybe HPI cloned from King Motors. Either way, what I bought was a good buy and just as durable as the HPI model. Can't blame a guy for wanting to save that kind of money.
    Oh ok, so it's ok for King Motors to copy HPI's design, but it is immoral for Integy to copy another company's design?

Yeah... That's not hypocritical of you

I bet you think it is alright for Smartech to copy the T-maxx and rebrand it as the Magic Wheels truck too...
    HPI Baja 5B
    T-maxx--->Going E ----> back to T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    So you've been "into RCs" for over 30 years and you think the hobby is about SAVING money?
    I mean, I could understand if you got a good deal on an authentic HPI Baja, but buying a cheap rip-off isn't so much saving money as buying something inferior instead. And I don't believe for a second that it's as a good a product as the real thing, or that it's a good moral choice. I've read that the diffs are crap, the plastic is cheap and heavy, the radio is poor and that generally things start to go wrong during the first few months of ownership. But even if you can replace all those parts for less total cost than the HPI baja, you're essentially hindering the hobby as a whole because you're encouraging the theft of a company's work and discouraging another company from spending money on R&D for the future of the hobby for fear of having their work stolen.

So yes, you can blame a guy for wanting to save that kind of money, if they're doing it for the wrong reasons
    I never said this hobby is about saving money. You have no clue how many thousands of dollars I've spent in the years. I did'nt post on this to start stupid arguments with people that only want to bash others. I was simply offering my imput on a cheaper allternative that I've bashed pretty hard for 6 months along with other friends that have the "real thing" and I've not a problem yet, yes the radio system is not as good, but then again either is the stock "real one" You can't read about this buggy on the HPI site. I owned the Traxxas monster buggy when it came out, so if Traxxas steps up to the plate and makes somthing to compete in the 1/5th scale buggy market, I'm all game. I've got enough experience to know when somthing is made cheaply by tearing it down and going through it all. Think what you want, I think for the price it's a good deal and is pretty durable. Not to mention it was easier to get past my wife at that price instead of spending $500 more. I'd still be in the doghouse

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildjones
    Oh ok, so it's ok for King Motors to copy HPI's design, but it is immoral for Integy to copy another company's design?

Yeah... That's not hypocritical of you

I bet you think it is alright for Smartech to copy the T-maxx and rebrand it as the Magic Wheels truck too...
    You all need to grow up, I never said it was "OK" for anyone to copy anything. All I said is I don't like Integy

RC Champion
    hpi copyed castle creations all the savage fluxs brushless system is a castle creations MMM with different decals
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Champion
    hpi copyed castle creations all the savage fluxs brushless system is a castle creations MMM with different decals
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by scotthw
    exact-ti-mendo
    Remember to drive it like you stole it

RC Racer
    Eh?

They didn't "copy" anyone - they're using the actual castle system, so they would have licenced it AND they're buying each unit from castle - it's got nothing whatsoever to do with copying or reverse-engineering something.

Besides, this is in no way related to the monster buggy

RC Competitor
    Okay and so the HPI Blitz is not a direct copy of the SC10? AE didn't get the idea from Slash and who's the biggest co. now and first started by copying the original RC10?

RC poster
    I have an all original Traxxas monster buggy!

RC Enthusiast
    Same here I'm running a all original Monster Buggy with spare parts. I have been thinking about putting it up for sale. But i know shipping will be a arm and a leg.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    .15 Maxx .18 CV-R
    Monster Buggy 26cc

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodMaxx View Post
    Same here I'm running a all original Monster Buggy with spare parts. I have been thinking about putting it up for sale. But i know shipping will be a arm and a leg.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Looks good....... but that rear wing isnt stock?

Looks like you got a later run buggy with the newer 23 in it..... i have 1 of the 1st cars with old old 23 zen with the chrome and black zen sticker.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-15-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: post merge

RC poster
    What I dont get is... why dont we have some larger CC engines in these 5th scales ...????
    the 4 stroke is just to low key. Seems like some kinda super bore would RULE in something likethis
    Ive had a redcat MT and IT had an after martket pipe, and ran pretty well... needed different clutch settings to be even close to decent off the line but, the thing was real prone to Run Aways, ... I've got little ones, so i got rid of it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petox20 View Post
    How can they sell a knock off for so much cheaper with the same quality parts, actually with some beefier parts? I don't think it probably would be the same quality. Knock offs are nearly always lower in quality. And being in New York, knock offs are everywhere . The downtown streets are literally covered with them.
    Think about this. Many "name brand" things are really items someone in China or elsewhere designed and manufacured then simply marketed in the US. Someone else gets hold of the same product and puts another name on it and sells it cheaper.

As for the knockoff buggy. I have a KingMotor and race with HPI Bajas. They have broken more stuff than me. I eventually sheared the factory brake pin. I replaced it with an HPI brake pin which didn't last half the time. The wheels were definately low quality. They were all plastic, but I believe some of the HPI ones are as well. I replaced mine with HPI wheels with steel hexes molded in. The transmitter is a bit cheesy, but so are most RTR transmitters. I have one shock that leaks a bit. The servo has help up to some good abuse so far and turns the buggy well. The 30cc engine fires up easily and stays running. I haven't had any issues with the 2-speed that I have on mine. The clone Dominator pipe sounds great (and loud). It's been a great car. It was only $650 shipped with the pipe, 30cc engine, and 2-speed. See that this would cost you with the HPI Baja.

Saving money? You better believe I'm all about it, but only where it still get the performance and/quality I'm looking for. I buy $9 batteries that get my Traxxas Rally around the track just as fast and last just as long as $30 batteries. My $35 batteries give me all the punch, speed, and longevity I need on the track with my RC8.2e. My $26 charger is assume 6A charging. My $65 charger is awesome for 20A charging. My $150 450 heli (all carbon fiber with aluminum boom) flies just as good as a $800 T-Rex/Futaba setup.

As for the OP:
    If I had a Monster Buggy. It would be all cleaned up and a self queen. I would love to have one. I just wouldn't run it.
    Last edited by metoo2; 06-28-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Pssssssssst. This thread is from 2008...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde