Thread: shift point

RC Racer

shift point

I bought a new slayer pro a year and a half ago, transmission was maintence free never touched the shift point screw. Well tranny broke so I put new one in, now the shift point is very inconsistant. Some times shifts when I want it to and other time shifts way to early and gets stuck in second. tune is good, temps right on and Ive tightened it a few times, adjustment screw is tight. My friend also boughT a new slayer at the same time and he always had to adjust his. Any ideas? Hard on engine when Your blasting dunes and its gets stuck in second. Nothing binding, well maintained truck. Usually I blipped the throttle and centrifical force will downshift it, but shouldnt need to do this, thanks for any input
    Last edited by Double G; 04-25-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: forgot the "f"

A couple of things can cause the shift mechanism to hang in second.

A high hanging idle.
    An early shift point.
    Damaged/worn or dirty primary clutch.

If you’re sure the engine is returning to idle quickly once you let of the throttle and the shift point is not too early, open up the tranny and give the primary clutch a good cleaning and apply a drop of light wt oil to the pawl. Look closely at the slot where the pawl retracts into, often a wayward wrench when adjusting the shift point can damage the aluminum around the slot and keep the pawl from moving freely. I would also remove the adjustment screw and have a look at the spring and BB to make sure they are intact and not damaged, and that the adjustment screw is snug in the threads of the clutch so it does not back itself out with vibration. If adjusted frequently the locktite used on the adjustment screw can wear away and screw can back out and cause the shift point to change. A tiny bit of locktite is all that’s needed if the screw is loose in the threads.

If all else fails you then probably need to replace the primary clutch.
    Do you still have the old tranny? You can try that clutch to see if it makes a difference.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    Will try that snook, Ive only adjusted it 3 times and been very careful, idle is right on, and do still have old tranny, thanks again.