RC poster

Brand new Spartan ESC blown up on 6s lipo set up in 1sec of use

Just bough a new Spartan, she arrived Friday, 8/June/12 I took the middle electronics out as I'm going to fit a better cooling jacket, popped my 2 x 3s Team Orion 45c 4500 lipos on just to set the ESC to lipo safe mode, which it did no problem.
    Atfer the high beeps and the ESC turning green I gave her the slightest bit of power, the prop turned, great all sorted....no a burning smell so I took the Lipos off quick and left it 15mins, reconnected the Lipos but nothing just a red blinking light on the ESC. The receiver is lit green and the stering servo is working but thats it, put the supplied batterys on but still the same. Oh dear!
    Thats going back.
    Is anyone running on 6s or is it better to run the spartan on 4s?

RC Enthusiast
    Ive run the boat on 2 and 3 cell,,, but never had any problems like what you've got going on. Call Traxxas tech, they can walk you thru some trouble shooting steps, or maybe they will send you another ESC... Keep us updated

RC Enthusiast
    You will find running on 6s is pushing it a bit too far. I know from experience i have two Spartans the first one i had 3 weeks before going up in smoke on 6s, the second one i bought as i was tired of waiting for replacement parts for the first one is still going strong but on 5s only now for a month sailing four times a week no problems what so ever.My second spartan i have also fitted a bigger cooling jacket and added an extra cooling line and changed the prop to a prather 215. I will run on 6s eventualy but only in my first boat after i have changed the motor and esc.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info, bought a water jacket and new rudder from
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-ST-5740R-blue
    just wondering if I need to widen the holes like many videos suggest on youtube for the single rudder?
    When you say 5s, that's 1x3s and 1 x 2s? do they have to be the same capacity and c rating? does it make the boat run to one side with the different weight?
    Was your first Spartan fitted with the new Castle ESC? is it just the ESC that burnt out on it?
    thanks v much

RC Enthusiast
    You got it a 3 on the right side with a 2 on the left same capacity is better and c rating, my boat do's not run to one side.
    My first boat was the new version yes and it was only the esc the first time second time it was the flexi-shaft, i forgot about that. Read all the posts thier is lots of information on here you will learn a lot from other sailers mishaps, and what they do to mcorrect them.

RC Qualifier
    The new Castle ESC is more reliable than the first generation VXL, but unfortunately we are still seeing a good number of posts describing failed ESC's. It is more common on 6S setups.

That said, in your situation where the ESC has possibly failed without even putting it under any load, it it likely just bad luck that you got a weak one from the manufacture. There will always be a percentage of manufactured components that will fail prematurely.

Traxxas and Castle have been very good about standing behind the product under warranty, so definitely contact Traxxas to discuss the problem with them.

If you look at the rear of the boat as it is moving away from you you will notice the prop torque wants to roll the hull to the right (starboard) so if you run a 5S setup put your heavier battery on the port side of the boat to help counter the torque roll.

hog

RC poster
    thanks for the help, guys!
    I am also going change the prop to an octura x442, don't know if it will have much effect but it looks fantastic and I rather fancy a steel one over the stock plastic one.
    thanks again!