RC Competitor

Cool Lipo Cutoff in new 2012 TQI Summit

Hi fellow Summit owners!! Please tell me how to activate and deactivate Lipo Cutoff on my new Summit.
    The new EVX does have Lipo Cutoff.

RC Qualifier
    Check the manual. It's all there.
    This is a signature.

RC Competitor
    Not in the manual. Checked twice

RC Champion
    Go to the Traxxas support page and click on the ESC link. In there it describes how to tell if your LVD is on or off. It also tells you how to turn it on. It doesn't tell how to turn it off it I would assume it would be the same steps as turning it on. I'd post a link but my computer is being retarded at the moment.

RC Qualifier
    It's not in the manual?! It should be! Are you 100% sure you got one with LVC?
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    Check out the support page. Under the ESC section there is direction on how to tell if your LVD is on or off. It also tells you how to turn it on. It doesn't tell you how to turn it off but I can assume its the same steps. I'd post a link but my computer is acting retard at the moment. Hope this helps!

RC Competitor
    Yes. It says Low Voltage Detection on the esc. Went thro' the manual a few times. No joy.

RC Champion
    I don't know why anyone isn't telling you! I tried an hour ago but the forums haven't been working for me until now.

Go HERE for the full description, otherwise here's this:

"How to Turn Low Voltage Detection ON
    If your Traxxas speed control with Low Voltage Detection displays a red light when switched on, it means that Low Voltage Detection is switched OFF. To turn it ON, first turn on your transmitter and speed control. With the speed control already on, press and hold the EZ-Set button until you hear an ascending tone (if you have a VXL speed control) or two beeps (if you have an XL-5 speed control). Release the EZ-Set button and the speed control's LED will light green to show Low Voltage Detection is ON. If it does not light green, do not operate your model with a LiPO battery. Repeat the procedure. Call 888-TRAXXAS if you cannot activate Low Voltage Detection.

If the LED glows RED when the ESC is on, Low Voltage Detection is DEACTIVATED.
    To turn Low Voltage Detection on, press and hold the EZ-Set button until you hear an
    ascending tone (VXL speed controls) or two beeps (XL-5 speed control).
    "

Good luck!

RC Competitor
    Thanks Krallopian an Mnm. Coooooool

RC Competitor
    It not in the manual outright, its in an addendum on a single sheet of paper tucked into the manual. At least mine was that I got in early march.

RC Champion
    Hah no problem! I just tried it on mine, but I don't have lipos!

It got stuck flashing green/red/green/red... oops! So I turned it off... off, I.. TURN OFF!?! It wouldn't turn off! So I unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned it on... green/red/green/red so I unplugged it, plugged only the esc in, (one batt not two) and held power right away so it went in to programming mode, picked program 1 (normal) and then it sat there on green... so THEN I held it down and blamo, it worked. Phew!

SO if you do this without lipos, it'll mess up because the voltages will be wrong. In short, don't! Hahah

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Hah no problem! I just tried it on mine, but I don't have lipos!

It got stuck flashing green/red/green/red... oops! So I turned it off... off, I.. TURN OFF!?! It wouldn't turn off! So I unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned it on... green/red/green/red so I unplugged it, plugged only the esc in, (one batt not two) and held power right away so it went in to programming mode, picked program 1 (normal) and then it sat there on green... so THEN I held it down and blamo, it worked. Phew!

SO if you do this without lipos, it'll mess up because the voltages will be wrong. In short, don't! Hahah
    Fully charged 7-cell NiMH are known to trip the over-volt protection when in LiPo (LVD-on) mode.
    You changed the LVD mode with only one pack connected? If so, BEC side, I presume?
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    I disconnected one battery and used just the BEC side one (the lights and servos side) and it was 70% dead, so it allowed me to reset it.

RC Racer
    Hmmm yes, was easy to disable the low voltage cutoff with lipos installed.
    Could not do it with fully charged nimh.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It is possible... there is a few threads on it in here and a YouTube video.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    does anybody know why when the you put fully charged nimh batteries in your summit that if you have left the lipo cut off on you cant turn it off? this really upset me the other day when i went to my friends house with only the nimhs and couldnt run it because of the stupid cut off not being able to be deactivated

Please watch the *s in your posts.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.

The LVD is there to protect you and your property. It is not "stupid."
    Where were the LiPos? Even fully drained LiPos will allow you to disable the LVD.

If you need to turn off the LVD with fully charged LiPos:
    Plug ONE battery into the BEC side of the ESC - it's the connector with the tag on the wires.
    Press the ON button until the LEDs power up (about second?)
    Release the ON button and immediately press it again (the ESC LED should still be lit) and hold it for over 10 seconds to disable the LVD.

My Summit's EVX-2 does not have LVD, but I had a friend follow these steps and it worked for him.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =