Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar

Server Power Supply Conversion

First of all... the disclaimer:
    I am posting about what I did to build my own supply... your results may vary. Traxxas nor myself is responsible for your actions... if you get some crazy idea; take ownership of it!

Second of all; please read this entire thread before asking questions.
    The answer you seek may have already been covered.

I chose a server power supply due to a couple of facts...
    1) They do not dip down in voltage when pulling high amperage out of them
    2) They are cheaper than most (if not all) ATX power supplies that will not voltage dip
    3) They are more robust than ATX supplies
    4) They have some very key safety features build in

Sourcing:
    eBay has LOTS of server power supplies available... they do not need to be new. Just because the server they were powering is out of date does not mean the power supply is out of date.
    Unfortunately, most sellers will not respond to requests for pictures of the "business" end of the supply. So there is a bit of a gamble if the supply is even able to be converted unless the pictures of the business end is already there or you have read of someone converting a similar supply.

Cost:
    I was able to find both of mine for $15 shipped. That is about the cheapest I have ever read a pair of supplies going for... shipped at least. These buggers are not light, so shipping is going to be a killer if it is not included in the price. I would say an average price for a pair is between $20-30 shipped. Beware of the super cheap ones... they may be cheap for a reason; just be sure to do your homework before you purchase.
    Be sure to add a few bucks in your budget for the proper wire, connections, ect. I have a total of $30 into my supply.

What to look for:
    Pins and tabs. Some have circuit boards that stick out that slid into the server case. These are usable... but you must be comfortable soldering onto a circuit board and the solder joint must be good enough to carry the full load of the supply. The supplies with pins and tabs are a little easier to work with. Some have special sockets that may be impossible to use... depending on if the socket is removable/solderable.
    Voltage and wattage. Obviously you are going to want one that is capable of supplying what you need. But, if you come across one that is a little on the weak side for the right price, these can be hooked up in parallel and series to fit what you need.
    If you think you only need one, get two. If you ever need to hook two of these bad boys together, whether it be parallel or series, it is better for them to be identical. The easiest (and cheapest) way to get two identical power supplies is to get them at the same time from the same vendor. Worst case scenario... you have a backup.

Precautions:
    Google the part number of the one you want... there just might be someone else that has bought it to convert it. This would be the absolute best case scenario as all the pinout work might be posted about it!! This search might also turn up some information on if it cannot be converted or if it is a "junk" supply.
    There also might be a good shot of the business end... gotta love Google!

Converting:
    Server power supplies are designed to only be operational when they are installed into a server station. However, there is a way to trick the supply into thinking it has been installed through its' pins. You can see these pins in the pictures below.
    Connecting 3-4 of these pins directly to one another will allow the supply to turn on. As far as I know, no two different power supplies have the same pinout. Some supplies have a pin that is a little bit shorter than the others... this is a good indicator that this is one of the pins that is required to be connected as it is the last one to slide into the station. Some supplies do not have this convenient feature and you will need to use a lot of trial and error to get your supply running. I was fortunate enough to get one of these supplies... it took me 45 minutes to get mine running... lol. To find my pinout I used a section of very fine gauge wire and start connecting them with the unit plugged in until it turned on.
    There are two stages of activity for most power supplies... soft on; where the fans run at half speed but no power is produced... and full on; where fans run at full speed and full power is available. I found soft on before I found full on.
    The fine gauge wire is used so that if a pair of pins that should not be connected get connected the wire will burn out before the supply is damaged. But, to be honest, the supply should shut itself down before any damage occurs; one of the many great safety features of a server power supply.

Connecting:
    Once you get it powered up there are a few different ways to hook up...
    1) Solder heavy gauge wire to mounted copper piping to use clamps that came with your charger
    2) Solder heavy gauge wire to a row (or single) of 4mm jacks (pictured below)
    3) I have seen where some have simply clamped onto the tabs

Series
    You can hook two (or three) of these up in series.
    This will increase voltage while available amperage remains the same.
    The benefit of this is feeding your charger high voltage means it has to to less work to feed your packs high amperage. (great for parallel charging)

To do this will require you to defeat the ground on one of the supplies. I chose to do this to the supply that feeds the negative side of my charger. If you do not defeat the ground, the supplies will not operate. I was able to defeat my ground by simply not hooking it up to the incoming AC. Some supplies have grounds elsewhere that must be defeated for this to work.

This, however, does not totally defeat the "direct short" safety feature. If you happen to touch or short out my two supplies together, they stop producing electricity, the fans slow to half speed, and the LED's will flash.
    BUT, your results may vary... it is better to test before this feature is needed and take precautionary measures like cover the supplies (yet provide ventilation)

Parallel
    If the supplies you purchased are not up to the task of supplying your high amperage charger, connecting these in parallel will keep the voltage the same, but double the available amperage.

Series/Parallel
    So you went really cheap on your supplies and you need to hook up two sets of two in series and then hook those two sets in parallel for one mega supply to power your needs.
    If you have to ask how to do this... don't!!

Providing AC
    I have seen a few hooked together where they have two plugs.
    I chose to use just one plug and hooked the AC side in parallel.
    AC power comes in from the IEC connection and feeds the positive supply power, neutral, and ground while there is a set of jumper wires that feed the negative supply only power and neutral.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 04-23-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Here are some pictures....

Power Label

She measures roughly 2.5 x 5 x 13 inches

Pins and tabs... and fans

Here you can see the LED's, AC socket, and the locking device
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 04-23-2012 at 08:35 PM.

In this shot you can see the positive (far left) wire heading toward the negative of the other supply. You can also see which three pins needed to be connected and that I cut all the unused pins off flush. (these all will be covered in liquid electrical tape)

I chose to squish my similar tabs together... also you can see I am using 8awg wire

Triple power tap... I can run 3 chargers at once; if I ever need to.

Here you can see the AC switch... I do not like hooking my charger to a live power supply; it might spark

AC in

Here you can see that I have the AC side connected in parallel so only one plug is needed
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 04-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.

I have been using these for over a year at this point.
    They have multiple 20 amp charges on them and have never gotten over 87F sitting in a large box with no ventilation.

Is 1800watts overkill?
    What's wrong with overkill??

I am hoping later this year to finish my other power supply... it will have selectable voltages!!
    (3.3v, 5v, 6.6v, 8.3v, 10v, 12v, 15.3v, 17v, and 24v)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Am I reading this right, did you just build a 75 amp 24volt PSU? That is one serious setup.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I built it a while ago... just never bothered to post anything about it until now.
    And yes; 24 volt 75.7 amp power supply.
    It dims my lights when I power it up

But I definitely agree with you... I doubt I will EVER outgrow this supply.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 04-23-2012 at 09:10 PM.

(In the Hank Hill voice) That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life.
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

RC Champion
    WOW... simply WOW.

Thanks for the compliments!!

Just wait until I finish the other supply. It will have relays to control current flow and it will be running in series or parallel depending on the way the switches are flipped. I am still working out the wiring schematic.

OK cool. I'm definitely going to do this with the same servers. This is more for a cool factor and challenge then actual use(it will definitely get used no doubt). Plus you be pretty awesome at the track were you can have others run their chargers off your supply. I'll put it in the carrying case, remove the fans and install LED fan(blue is cooler) and somehow put a on and off switch by the input cable (just easier) and mount a G.T. Power Watt Meter. Now where would you get pc power cables and accessory? Also can you run 2 24volt chargers on this or just 1 and several 12volt? And can you take a pic of the hot swappable pin setup?
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 04-23-2012 at 10:22 PM.

The number of chargers than can be ran is only limited by the amount the supply can provide.

So... in theory, this set will feed 14 12v 10a chargers with ease with proper connections.
    It can also feed 3 24v 20a chargers. Or 2 24v 30a chargers...
    Basically you just need to stay under the amperage supply threshold.

The other supplies I used:

40 Ft. Retractable Cord Reel
    I have modified this to have the pronged AC plug on the retractable side and a right angle IEC on the stationary side. (this is also used to power my camper)

Right Angle IEC

Banana Plug Jack

Some 6.5mm bullet connectors that I cannot link to.

A chunk of 3.8 soft copper pipe.

and some scrap angle iron I had.

Pictures of the pinout are above.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 04-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.

ok Any idea where i can find a IEC 320 C-14 male adapter with a screw mount so i can mount it to a case?

You could use what it came with...

The one I bought came from All Electronics... they have a $7 minimum shipping charge.

This is what I'm looking for.