RC Racer

Anybody run the traxxas pro ball diff?

Looking for some insight here. I have the pro ball and installed it only to have it strip out the gear in a very short time. Literally ran 10 feet at part throttle and it was toast. All new bearings installed at the time so that wasn't an issue and no other binding or anything. I contacted traxxas and they were less than helpful and don't want to warranty the brand new product. So my question is did I do something wrong because I installed the stock diff and it works flawless? Is the plastic gear that bad?

Yea the ball diff has been reported as being very weak. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Transmission case. Buy the aluminum idler(replacing the steel), delrin top and you can buy a replace housing http://www.ebay.com/itm/2519-Diff-Ge...item3cc6922767
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-25-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Racer
    Ive seen them cheaper that that but I cant see fixing something I cant use. I'm thinking of getting a new clean stock diff and doing the sealed diff mod with some thick fluid and forgetting about the waist of money traxxas calls an upgrade.

Which ball diff did you buy? There are 2 that work with the slash
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Copied from a previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I've never had any problems with the Traxxas pro-diff holding up to the Velineon motor in an ST. However, I tired a couple times in my Slash and it didn't last long at all. The problem wasn't the actual diff, but the nylon diff gear. Both attempts I made gave me one full run at best before the diff gear stripped. I tried it with the steel idler/top gear and also tried with the aluminum idler and delrin top gear. And both times I think I was running a 19 turn motor. So, I would stay away from the ball diff with the Slash. The Rustler is a different story though.

The difference between the 4620 and 2520 diffs is that the 4620 is the older, original Traxxas ball diff that came in the Blue Eagle trucks, way back in the day. It was actually more durable in a sense because it used 1/8" diff balls. Biggest problem with the 2640 diff is that it was bushing supported and those bushings would obviously wear out in short order.

The 2520 diff is the pro-diff and it came in the TRX-1, TRX-3, TCP, and SRT. It's a dual ball bearing supported diff and uses 3/32" diff balls, much like most other ball diffs out there. It's much smoother than the older 4620, but is a little more fragile.

Both ball diffs ran the same 60-tooth gear and both are a direct replacement in the 2.72 trans.

Traxxas did make a delrin diff gear for the 2520 diff (2519x), which I'm sure would have helped my results in the Slash quite a bit. Problem is, it's impossible to find. I still have on NIP and have never seen another one anywhere in all the years that I've had it.

You best options would probably be to either run fluid in your stock diff and replace it very often. Or, if you can spend the cash, the FLM is probably the best possible option for a tune-able diff in the Slash.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Which ball diff did you buy? There are 2 that work with the slash
    I got the pro ball diff. Whatever they use to make the gear with isn't durable in the least. If its just a mater of changing the type of plastic used that doesn't seem like a big deal and they should do that. Ive had plenty of diffs with plastic gears and never had any problems and I beat the **** out of them. I wouldn't be surprised to get a product like this from some fly by night company but not traxxas.