Thread: Slash 4x4?

RC poster

Slash 4x4?

Hi, i was researching the slash 4x4 and stampede 4x4 both in 1/10 brushless and some people were saying that the MERV is a good option for the people who were asking about the slash and stampede. I thought it was weird at first for people two recommed a 1/16 when the people r willing to pay for the 1/10, but after hearing the reason, i can see why they recommed it.
    PROS
    It is cheaper, so you can buy all the RPM stuff and upgrades and that kinda thing

It is easy to transport (put in the car just in case u pass a empty skatepark or dusty carpark or something) when with the slash or stampede you need to plan the bash because u need to leave enough room for it in the car)

I heard it is no good for grass, but i have a 1/8 truck which i can use instead

I want a traxxas because of the speed, duribility and my other truck is nitro and they are harder to maintain, not as strong and cost to run. The nitro truck will be great for when the traxxas is charging, but i do prefer the eletric when it comes to RC.

I will be running it on short grass, dirt, loads of jump, on-road, but mainly off-road. I need a car which can take a beating because i don't want to spend to much on repairs. If i bought the MERV i could upgrade straight away and buy lipos, if i had a slash or stampede it would have to stay how it is for a short while (2-3 months).

Which truck? please give reasons
    thank you

RC Champion
    NOT a 16th scale for offroad. Believe it or not... even my Slash 4x4 gets bogged down in grass. I'd only buy a MERV if it was going to be on road only. As far as slash vs pede... slash is more of a race chassis so it corners well and handles better at high speed on road, dirt, gravel, and short grass. The pede is more of a monster truck chassis. It jumps well and does good in dirt, gravel, and grass but it doesn't handle that great and will flip due to a higher CG.

RC Qualifier
    Your best bet is the Stampede 4x4.

I happen to have all 3 you mention: Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, and merv.
    The slash and stampede are very much the same truck with different body/chassis/tires, since you want off-road, so the stampede makes more sense. Here are couple pics:
    merv:

stampede 4x4:

And to tell you the true, the merv is NOTTTT cheaper to own, in fact, the slash/stampede is much cheaper. Why? its has way less part count, it has bigger screws to work with, it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more easier and require Less time to work on. Do yourself a favor, and search for how much it cost for RPM A-Arm for both merv and slash so you know what i am talking about. I hate spending time working on the merv.

For slash or pede, only 4 screws and you have access to the differentials, can't say the same for the merv though.

And you can't bulletproof the merv even if you had infinite $ to spend, so to speak. Why? because the fragile chassis.

RC poster
    Thank for the reply, if I got the slash or Stampede what upgrades and things would I need to get straight away, I will be bash ing out the box

RC Champion
    Nothing straight away except maybe castor blocks though... some things just don't break for some people so wait until it breaks... then replace with RPM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply
    Some people have said that the stub axles bend in 5 mins
    Is this true? If so should I get spares or upgrade
    I am sorry about all the questions I am a bit if a newy to traxxas!!
    Thank you

RC Champion
    Never once had a problem with an axle. If you want spares on hand for quick repair... id get bearing carriers, castor blocks, camber links if it doesnt have aluminum, a-arms, shock shafts, and shock towers. That's all that breaks under semi-normal conditions. If you break something else... you have serious skill.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    Nothing straight away except maybe castor blocks though... some things just don't break for some people so wait until it breaks... then replace with RPM.
    Castor blocks for a 4x4? Sorry, I don't agree that the 4wd needs that part upgraded. 2wd...not such a bad idea to upgrade that part.

Quote Originally Posted by JEKing11 View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    Some people have said that the stub axles bend in 5 mins
    Is this true? If so should I get spares or upgrade
    I am sorry about all the questions I am a bit if a newby to traxxas!!
    Thank you
    There were reports of that about 18-24 months ago. There have been very few reports regarding that recently.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Ok thank you
    It is just a bit annoying on your first run u break things and you Have to go back up to the hobby shop or order thing online and having to wait for them to be delivered. I just want to know So I could get everything in advance.
    Thank you

RC Champion
    OOps... forot we were talking 4x4. If you get a slash... I haven't broken anything but a little piece in the bellcranks on mine so that's all I can recommend.

RC poster
    Ok sounds like the slash Is well equipped out of the box!

RC Qualifier
    I have both, and I'll tell you right now that I honestly thing that I like the MERV more

Now the MERV is heavily modified with a 1/10th power plant, full steel CVD drive train, RPM goodies, and so on and so forth, and the Slash isn't quite as modified but it's no where near stock either; MIP drive shafts, RPM goodies as well, KingHeadz motor mount. They have both cost me a LOT to make them as durable as they are. Even the little MERV hasn't been cheap by any means, but I think it's cost me a little less than the Slash despite being more modified, yet it's a TON more fun in my opinion, as a basher.

I've got them both to a point where they're pretty durable; I wont say indestructible because I inevitability take my bashing just a little too far every once in a while and break something stupid like a wheel hex pin or a body mount, and I did manage to snap the chassis on the MERV once, but I now have an aluminum brace to stiffen it up some and hopefully stop that from happening again

The Slash as it stands:

it gets a little time on the local track every once in a while, but most of the time it sits on the shelf collecting dust...

the MERV on the other hand gets used almost every week, sometimes two or three times a week, either on lunch break at work, or after work in the warehouse. it's nice in the fact that I can shove it, the parts box I have for it, a small tool box, and the transmitter, even a charger if need be, all in a duffel bag and toss it in the back of the truck

it gets the Slash wheels when it's time to beat on it hard; keeps it from bottoming out so hard

lately I've been running it with a mini Summit body on it; there's a little more room around the oversized 1/10th motor in it and it allows for a little more air flow

Although I can't attest for the 4x4 Stampede, I can tell you for sure that the 2wd is a TANK! My buddy ruthlessly beats the snot out of his, and so far the only thing he's destroyed is a wheel hex, some how...

fix, run, break, repeat

RC poster
    Thanks for the Pictures! I think I am learning to the stampede or slash (4x4 VXL in both). Do te slash jump clean and how fast does it go?

RC Champion
    Just ran my slash 4x4 bone stock yesterday and got 35mph. It's pretty fast. It jumps flat and level every time.

RC poster
    Sounds great! Is the slash 4x4 better off-road than the MERV? And is the stampede 4x4 and slash 4x4 off-roading abilities
    Similar?
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    My personal opinion is th stampede because of the clearnace of it over the slash with a vxl stampede i just have a 2wd pede but im jumped this thing off my roof about 25 foot diatnce and 15 foot of air on to the grass and after about 7 jumps the only thing that happened was the stock plastic shock cap came off from all the pressure. upgraded to aluminum caps and nothing yet. Broken one a-arm and i was doing about for and drifted it into a cinder block. these things will take a beating and keep on going
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Champion
    For speed offroad, the slash wins... no contest. For the ability to crawl over things and go through taller stuff, the pede wins. MERV loses for everything.... except ease of transport.

RC poster
    Basic 4x4 slash

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dyaugo View Post
    KING - which Slash are you getting. Just the basic 4x4 or the Ultimate Slash with the upgrades?
    Basic 4x4 slash

RC poster
    Ive had my traxxas slash 4x4 6808 for 8 months now and I have replaced every single part except the chassis. Now I know why people dont like traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MoToR View Post
    Ive had my traxxas slash 4x4 6808 for 8 months now and I have replaced every single part except the chassis. Now I know why people dont like traxxas.
    it would appear you have chosen the wrong forum to join if that's your thoughts
    fix, run, break, repeat