RC Champion

Do you like the TQi?

I'm thinking of selling my Spektrum DX3s and buying three TQi's for my trucks. I've never really seen a review of the TQi though, so I'm just wondering how everyone likes theirs? I liked the TQ Links that came with my trucks but I wanted telemetry so I sold them all and bought a DX3s. I never have gotten the RPM sensor to work right on the DX3s though, and now I don't even have the sensors hooked up. I also miss the range that the TQ's had, and I miss having enough transmitters to run all my trucks at once if family wants to run with me. I like the idea of the TQi's and being able to add telemetry in the future when I can afford a used iPod Touch and all of the sensors. So, how do like your TQi radio? Thanks.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Champion
    I love the TQi, however I don't use it in anyway different than I would use a TQ. The high output is nice, and no physical antenna is really nice as well. The telemetry is great, but unless you're doing serious testing/modifications.. it's not really necessary imo. The Spektrums have always had low distance in my experience, the TQ and TQi HighOutput models are excellent and I certainly recommend them!

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a big difference between the tqi and docking base vs tq? Aside from the dock and antenna?
    Das Beste Oder Nichts

RC Champion
    The TQi is a much more advanced pcb, but function wise its only difference is the docking base apple capabilities. They both have the same amount of channels, switches, and APPARENTLY the TQi has lesser range than it's TQ counterpart, but I've yet to experience this myself.

The steering wheel on the TQi is much smaller than the TQ also, if that matters to you.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    The TQi is a much more advanced pcb, but function wise its only difference is the docking base apple capabilities. They both have the same amount of channels, switches, and APPARENTLY the TQi has lesser range than it's TQ counterpart, but I've yet to experience this myself.

The steering wheel on the TQi is much smaller than the TQ also, if that matters to you.
    Ok thanks. Im thinking if i should wait for the new erbe the one with the tqi radio or just buy the one with tq. Coz the lhs here in mississauga doesnt have the erbe with tqi yet. Decisions decisions....
    Das Beste Oder Nichts

RC Champion
    If you don't want telemetry, don't wait! Are you talking about hobbyhobby? Great guys with huge stock!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    If you don't want telemetry, don't wait! Are you talking about hobbyhobby? Great guys with huge stock!
    Ok thanks. Where is hobbyhobby located? there's great hobbies in mississauga and big boys with cool toys in etobicoke.
    Das Beste Oder Nichts

RC Champion
    Streetsville, but basically Mississauga - google their name, it'll show ya

RC Enthusiast
    ok got it. will probably give them a visit soon. thanks again.
    Das Beste Oder Nichts

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like the smaller wheel and better grip... The throttle/brake feels smoother... But, I don't like the on/off switch on the lower back side...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    Yeah that on/off switch haha, took me a few mins to even find it, I had to look in the manual! I felt pretty stupid.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Just got my TQi today, and overall I like it. I never had the TQ 2.4 so I don't know how it was compared to that one, but the features are impressive and a huge step up from the old AM TQs that I have been using for years and years. Manual states to not use rechargeable on the non-dock model. I had 4 eneloop cells so I put them in anyway and it seems to be working fine. I will keep a lookout for the low battery light though. Nice to have no antenna to bend and a short antenna on the RC that I tucked under the body. Now for the dislikes. Menu tree is a royal pain. Radio still feels a bit cheap and even cheaper feeling than the older TQs which felt cheap. I also dislike the on-off switch location. Charging jack and hump pack capabilities on the non-dock versions would have been nice too. I did fine the steering wheel too small but I put a TQ foam wheel over the TQi foam so now its the same size. Do not like the chrome bling bling steering wheel rim either. Some black paint should fix that, hehe.

Overall I am quite happy with it, although I got it for $50 from a ebay chop shop. Not sure I would pay full retail for one.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I also agree the TQi feels cheeper than the TQ Link or older radios... I think it's because it's made of 3 pieces instead of 2... I also find the wheel a little small but I like the new grip...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Qualifier
    I got a TQi with the docking base and love it. Not much extra functionality yet since I only have the temp/voltage sensors.

I love being able to look at my controller for the temp. I don't have the zip tie mount traxxas sells for the sensor. I wonder if that would hold it to the motor better. I noticed my temp is about 5-8 off from my ir gun. I also set my temp gauge to warn me when it gets to 155 and the ipod/iphone starts to vibrate warning you that you have exceeded that temp.

I have the castle mmp 2400 and you can use training mode through the ipod/iphone and pick the throttle% you want to use and it will limit it through the controller. I can set it to where on 4s it goes slower than I walk if I wanted to. Now I can set it slow enough for my lil brother to use it

Most if not all of the menu tree settings can be changed through the ipod/iphone also, and you can keep different settings for each vehicle stored on it.

RC Champion
    Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I went ahead and sold my DX3s and bought some TQi's, a dock and a used iPod Touch 2nd gen. I just finally got it all together today. I don't have any sensors yet but I will soon. I've got to say so far I love this radio. It does feel cheaper to me than the old TQ's but I like the smaller wheel. The dock and iPod funcionality is just awesome, I can't wait to get the sensors. I haven't had a chance to test the range yet but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm very happy that I sold the Spektrum and got this.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I just got my TQI installed last night. Its a 2CH with the docking base. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference from the TQ if you don't have the iPhone installed and even with the phone installed I really don't see how its much of an upgrade without the sensors for the telemetry. Its a nice looking radio, IMO it doesnt feel cheap and I like the wheel. But overall, without the sensors its just a TQ with a big screen.

Now, what I did find after setting it up was a little annoying. First, both my radio and RX needed an update. Which is fine, but the radio wouldn't even work without doing it and the place i was staying was having internet issues at that time. So, I couldn't drive until I found an internet connection to do the update. I ended up standing in the middle of the road with the radio and vehicle as the update downloaded. To me, this is a big negative. The radio should work no matter what... I know my MT4 will never NOT work because it needs an update.

Then, I noticed it was quite difficult to figure out the model selection process. Im not using this with a traxxas vehicle but as far as I can tell, there is no "generic" vehicle option in the vehicle menus. So, I'm left with a "spartan" with a different name. This is a small point and, other than the difficulty trying to delete the old vehicle that was originally setup with this radio and choosing a new one, its not an issue. It would just be nice to be able to choose from generic vehicle categories like "boat", 2X4 SC, Monster etc etc.

I like the battery compartment. Its very easy to use and because the batteries are all basically right under the handle it helps offset the weight of the iPhone in the dock. I also REALLY like how the dock works. I have a case on my phone and the dock grips it and holds it in tight. Its a great locking system.

I think the biggest thing I would like to be changed would be the Menu and Set buttons. It would be great if ALL functions controlled by these buttons could be either activated by the app OR if the buttons could control the app while the phone is connected. For example, to bind I can ONLY use the buttons and the app does not respond at all. Why not give me the ability to choose "bind" IN the app... this would be easier.

Overall, its a very nice feeling radio. Sure does look good. Ill be trying out today to see how it actually works out on the water.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    pavementsurfer, When you're choosing a model, at the bottom of the list it has "Custom Electric" and "Custom Nitro".
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Champion
    I don't like the design/looks/fel of the new TQi - I'm selling a 4 channel TQi in the marketplace(from my brand new Summit! yeehaw!), for those that prefer it!
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC Competitor
    I prefer the look and feel of the TQI over the TQ, though I did take the steering wheel of my 2.4 and fit it to the TQI cause I prefer the bigger wheel (interestingly enough, the TQ radio with the smaller wheel is good too).

I like the balance of the new radio too, with or without a phone, it just feels better, because most electronics are packed in the top and the batteries at the back. After getting used to the new one, the old radio just feels heavy and clumsy.

What I don't like about it is that you HAVE to download the firmware updates anytime it detects another is available, or you can't make use of the app.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Interesting that you can swap wheels. Im going to do that myself. I hate the small wheel. I don't like the balance WITH the phone, but I like the balance without. One thing I think I noticed this week is that if you run with the phone and program running your settings in the program are applied. But if you run with no phone a whole different set of settings are used. Not sure I like that as sometimes I don't want to put my phone on there.

Im going to search flea bay for some sensors I can make more use of this radio.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Do you guys get the voltage of the receiver hump pack as standard or do you need to buy the Voltage/ Temperature Sensor to get this information?

I love my TQi, will be better when I can fast charge the hump pack in my Transmitter though via the charge jack.