RC Enthusiast

Motor overheating help please

Im running an method r Orion 15t motor with 16/90 and on 8.4v 3000 mag batts. I've tunes the timing down to -1 ( first tick into neg) and instill hitting almost 160deg. Please help I don't wanna frythismotor in the first week. I'm racing on a track I built in backyard (dirt). Thanks.

RC Racer
    I wouldn't time it below 0 deg. I'd shoot for somewhere around 5 deg. advanced and watch your temps. 15t is a hot motor for a heavy Slash and you might struggle keeping it cool.

RC Enthusiast
    Do I need to drop down in pinion size? What's the maximum temp the motor can handle? It's acool day today about 5degC and my end run temp was just 167degF.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeButt View Post
    Do I need to drop down in pinion size?
    I would drop a tooth and see how it reacts. 167 deg. F is getting hot. Also I would check gear mesh and drivetrain for any bind.

RC Enthusiast
    Gear mesh is good and no binding.... I think I need to buy new pinion gears. Thanks for your help.

RC Enthusiast
    Does changing from a 48p to 32p make a difference to how hot the motor gets? I have read that I should use a Pinion tooth that is 2 digits less than the motor turn? 15t motor 13t pinion. Dunno but it worth a try. anyone know what the difference is between a 48pitch and 32pitch spurs?