As promised, my porting job...

I did a light porting and polishing since I was rebuilding a 3.3 for my sons TMAXX. I used a new conrod, piston and sleeve as well as put in some nice new Avid ceramic bearings.

I started out with these...

Here's a couple shots of the crank and sleeve. As you can see I've bullet nosed the bottom of the sleeve, increased the intake port size, and put fangs on the schnorkel ports (ones on the sides) in a fashion that they go towards the exhaust port. The crank I've followed some instructions and polished the outsides and the fuel chamber nice and smooth....

Did my break in and it's now starting to wake up... There is a nice increase in functional RPMS and Wow can this thing move!!!! Very snappy and cool temps...

It's been dropped into this. 0

Sorry for the wait, I know it's been too long since I promised I would post this... I'm very happy with the results and I've another engine to do, parts are just waiting...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to keep you waiting on my parts Nitronaught I will send them right away. Haha jk. Looks good I might have to try this with my older 3.3. Hate to tear apart a good runing engine just to try.
    I dream of big block power...

I've done this on old sleeves that I haven't used (write-up in the Revo side)...I'm a firm believer that to make it look right and work right you need to have the right tools. I didn't use the right tools.
    What did you use? Pics?
    I'm seriously considering on doing this to my Ray A repinched sleeve.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-19-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I've done this on old sleeves that I haven't used (write-up in the Revo side)...I'm a firm believer that to make it look right and work right you need to have the right tools. I didn't use the right tools.
    What did you use? Pics?
    I'm seriously considering on doing this to my Ray A repinched sleeve.
    I used a dremel, a vice with wood cut to hold the sleeve without using too much force on the vice... Made my marks with a sharpie and measured them to be even using a micrometer/caliper.

The dremel I used a pointed diamond dust grinding bit, then used verious rubber polishing wheels and a set of rubber polishing tools that were coned shape for the inside of the crankshaft.... Pretty much the same tools used in this guide...

Not even 3 tanks from break in, temps at 240 and wheelies on demand..... I'm impressed...

I followed this guide.

Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I used a dremel, a vice with wood cut to hold the sleeve without using too much force on the vice... Made my marks with a sharpie and measured them to be even using a micrometer/caliper.

The dremel I used a pointed diamond dust grinding bit, then used verious rubber polishing wheels and a set of rubber polishing tools that were coned shape for the inside of the crankshaft.... Pretty much the same tools used in this guide...

Not even 3 tanks from break in, temps at 240 and wheelies on demand..... I'm impressed...

I followed this guide.

Same instructions I used for my old 3.3.
    Except mine didn't turn out quite as smooth looking as your sleeve did haha, looks good
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    I've seemed also notice a drop in temperature, I really think this is a good 'upgrade' to do to an engine.
    Mine has over four gallons on it and it will still idle through an entire tank of Power-master.

I followed this guide.
    Yep, I've used that guide, but having a difficult time finding the proper tools for my Dremel. None of the hardware stores around here have them so I may have to pay the shipping from eBay or Amazon.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Yep, I've used that guide, but having a difficult time finding the proper tools for my Dremel. None of the hardware stores around here have them so I may have to pay the shipping from eBay or Amazon.
    Yeah I had to improvise

Ever use Harbor Freight? I've found most of my Dremel acessories through them.... Lowes as well has a decent selection...

You can also go to Dremel directly look up a part and they will point you to the nearest dealer.... http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...spx?catid=2008
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    Ever use Harbor Freight? I've found most of my Dremel acessories through them.... Lowes as well has a decent selection...

You can also go to Dremel directly look up a part and they will point you to the nearest dealer.... http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...spx?catid=2008
    I take that back, I did have a set from Lowe's that worked really well. Haha sorry.

Harbor Freight: no. Been to Lowes, Home Depot, Menards (a more local store) along with Ace. Looks like I'll be heading online.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-19-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    The Super Derecho

Kupa Incorporated is the place to order dremel bits for fine detailed work.

My wife works for the largest east coast beauty supply wholesaler so I get a discount on my bits and have tried every brand available. Kupa is top notch and you won’t find any better quality or selection.
    Just be sure if you order to get the correct mandrel size for your dremel.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    Harbor Freight: no. Been to Lowes, Home Depot, Menards (a more local store) along with Ace. Looks like I'll be heading online.
    If you're still in the Twin Cities the Harbor Freight in West St. Paul had a 50 piece diamond bit set on sale for $10 the last time I was there. Also the Stillwater Walmart has a good selection of Dremel bits.
    Revo.27TX/Jato.18/Maxx523/Maxx3.3/GMAXX/Rusty/ERBE

Quote Originally Posted by johnny5c View Post
    If you're still in the Twin Cities the Harbor Freight in West St. Paul had a 50 piece diamond bit set on sale for $10 the last time I was there. Also the Stillwater Walmart has a good selection of Dremel bits.
    Looks like I'll be taking a road trip with the kids tomorrow.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Good job, I will have to try this at rebuild time.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

Looks like I'll have to post a Video soon... I can't race that engine,,,,, but I sure would like too.. ....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    Will this mod work on the 2.5R engine as well?

Yes .
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Yes .
    Not a complete sentence Double G haha.
    Yeah it'll work on most any nitro engine you can get your hands on.

Is that a MIP header and Traxxas blue tuned pipe on this engine

Looks great! Just posted on a cooked 2.5 that I tried to run the other day, this gives me an idea
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound...

RC Qualifier
    If you ever want to turn a Pro .15 engine into the ultimate sleeper,
    this is the mod I recommend.
    http://www.nitrorc.com/mods/engines/trx15mod.html

I did this mod years back and the results were impressive. lol
    Besides the internal mods I also swapped in a O.S .15 carb and drilled out the plastic
    stinger and added aluminum clutch shoes.
    This engine rocked. It had the throaty sound of a big block, consumed quite
    a bit of fuel but man it packed a punch.
    My Karma runneth over your Dogma.

RC Qualifier
    I'm doing this to my 3.3. I've seen ported engines run and there crazy!

RC poster
    Kupa Incorporated is the place to order dremel bits for fine detailed work.

Quote Originally Posted by troutfisher9 View Post
    Is that a MIP header and Traxxas blue tuned pipe on this engine

Looks great! Just posted on a cooked 2.5 that I tried to run the other day, this gives me an idea
    Yup MIP header and Blue Tuned pipe.... I have loved this setup from the first time I got it dialed in 5 yrs ago...

I use it on my other TMAXX as well.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    Nitro, is there any way you could send me the link to that guide? trying to read it on here and its hard to do so.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah HF Has some great Bits etc. for dremel, I got a complete set of Lifetime Diamond Bits that I have used the heck out of as a matter of fact my Cordless Dremel just lost the Bearing up by the Shaft lock so it makes a ton of noise and runs about 1/3 speed so I need to replace it.
    But back to HF I have found some amazing Deals on Tools and accesories from HF some Items of course are for Hobby or Light duty Jobs and some are kinda disposable but you can get some really good Tools at amazingly low prices, plus now their hand tools come with a Lifetime replacement warranty

My Last Post was supposed to include this Quote but did not so I re-did it.

i would love a link to the article too if possible, if not i can probably make a .pdf out of the posts just be easier and better if i had the original link.

One Final Question does this mod have to be done on a Brand New non-Broke in Engine or can this be done to an engine that only has say 7 Tanks ran through it? I would of done this to my 2.5 had I known about the article/Post.
    I also have 2 Other 2.5 Engines one I need to replace front bearing as it lost its seal and one that is Fine both have great compression so maybe I would do them to if it can be done to a Lightly ran engine.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-17-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: merge, this is where the edit button would come in handy

I picked up the article here... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5226191/tm.htm

It's been posted quite a few places... As far as doing this on a used engine... For the first time, I highly recommend it.. Remember you goo too much on the sleeve with a dremel you can damage the inside of the sleeve and create grooving on the piston...

Practice makes perfect...

Update... 1 gallon later... I've had to continuously adjust the shift point as the engine had woken up... Wheelies on demand and mid to top RPM performance was definitely better...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
    If you ever want to turn a Pro .15 engine into the ultimate sleeper,
    this is the mod I recommend.
    http://www.nitrorc.com/mods/engines/trx15mod.html

I did this mod years back and the results were impressive. lol
    Besides the internal mods I also swapped in a O.S .15 carb and drilled out the plastic
    stinger and added aluminum clutch shoes.
    This engine rocked. It had the throaty sound of a big block, consumed quite
    a bit of fuel but man it packed a punch.
    i did this yrs ago on the pro.15 and boy did it make a difference. It sucked thru gas too.
    Been on here for a while but forgot my original username.