RC Competitor

rear diff grease

i took my rear diff apart to repair the bearings and noticed my grease was very dirty whats the best type of grease is best to reapply to my diff gears? thanks.
    just-in-case

RC Qualifier
    Clean grease of gears with brake cleaner and apply new. Also not sure if u mean the internal rear diff or it outer pinion gears. In both cases clean and use grease on pinions and inside the diff is ur choice i run 7k.
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Racer
    Spot on ultran8. Keeping all of the differential gears (rings, pinions and spiders) clean and lubricated really helps fight unwated restitance and prolongs the life of your differential. From the factory your front differential is filled with 30K silicone oil and the rear is filled with grease. Just a heads up - if you are going order new oil I'd go ahead and order the diff rebuild kit as well. The little blue rubber seals seem to go bad pretty easily and no oil will be held in if they're ripped.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Diff..._p/tra5381.htm
    I'm just a big hairy American winning machine

RC Competitor
    i clean out my rear diff i did a complete tear down and removed all grease. so 7k grease will do?
    just-in-case

RC Qualifier
    Inside the diff itself not the diff housing. 7k oil in rear diff 15 k upfront. But u are talking about the diff itself not just the gears that connect to the actual diff right?
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Competitor
    ah yeah the housing where the bearings sit also.. i had dirt all mixed within my grease
    just-in-case

RC Qualifier
    Ok that is not the diff it is just the gears that transfer power to the diff . Remove the four screws from the big gear and pop it off. Inside that is the real diff. Clean all of these parts put 7 k in the inside diff. Just use light wheel bearing grease on outer gear . Look at the exploded pic of the rear assembly youll see what i mean. I would also do this to the front . 15k in it. Hope this helps and uunderstand what i mean. Good luck
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Competitor
    ah ok i see thanks this is my first time doing all this... thanks for the help ultran8.
    just-in-case

RC Qualifier
    No prob man. Have fun
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Competitor
    Actually the whole thing is the diff. The gears you put grease on are the crown and pinon, where as the gears in the cup are your spider gears.

sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2.0