RC Enthusiast

Motor/esc upgrade and lost in the numbers. help?

Ok, so for the last month I have been reading the forums and now so confused I am afraid to buy anything.

Basic info:
    Slash 4x4-
    race local track (mike's hobby shop) 2s lipo
    Bash a little - road and dirt - 2s and 3s (3s not much because of heat but love 3s)

Looking at:

Castle - MMP /3800kv - MMP /2650kv (to be able to run 2 and 3s)
    What about mmp sct combo?

Novak - MMP/ 5.5t (to be able to run 2 and 3s)

Different combo???

Now this is the problem, I want to be able to be competitive at the track with 2s and be able to go out bashing with the boys and stay up with them running 3s. Am I asking for too much with that? I don't really care if I go to 4-6s I have a lot of 2s and 3s and like racing as much as bashing.

Any info would help after reading all the other post, I got a headache and knew I needed help....lol

RC Champion
    Most motors that work well for racing on 2s will not handle bashing on 3s and above

Most motors that work well for bashing on 3s and above dont work well for racing on 2s

The Castle 1410 3800 will happily run both but is limited in its top speed on 3s before it will get hot

The larger 1512 2650kv will not be very responsive on 2s allthough some have had success racing with them

I would recommend the following, with the 3500kv version of the motor

http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...+PRO+CARD.html

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    i run a mamba monster 2200kv on 2s not super fast but a good speed for racing and on 3s its still not too fast but it will go! mabye u would be interested in this combo i run mine on 2 3s at once in series and paralell and still dont get very hot! so heat with this system isnt a issue also the castle creations esc's are not water proof

RC Champion
    i ran 2s today at the track on the 2400 combo, i ran 25/50, i thought it went pretty good.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    yeah the 2400 is also a good system from what i have been hearing alot of!

RC Racer
    Funny, Doing that same kind research for my Mt 4x4 build. Also I understand it not waterproof, But will overtray protect it from getting wet? I would like to do almost anything with this truck when i am done. I think i might go with 2200kv. Worry about the az heat as it climbs up to 110 or over in the summertime.

110 is very hot! I can see why you are concerned with heat temps! The 2200 shouldn't get hot at those temps. My 2400 geared 19/54 on 3s doesn't get hardly warm. That's running in like 75-80 degrees. 110 is pretty hot! Is there a hobbyshop in your area that could give some good advice and not just try to get your money on something that's in stock?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    110 is very hot. I will probably run esc and motor fan during the summer. Might have to get up earlier in the mornings just to bash it.