Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    It looks great.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Champion
    ARRRRRRRRGH part 2

I will probably get penalty points from traxxas but these servo issues need to be addressed.

After more examination both my esc and my servo are dead. Most of my traxxas servos died naturally this one had a metal part making a hole in the side of the servo. I purchased my truck roughly 40 days ago so its out of the warranty period so exchanging the esc and servo was out of the question. Luckily I just purchased a used upgraded summit for $200 . So I sacrificed both its servo and its vxl for my sons truck. . Run number 2 the new servo dies. If anyone is counting that is 5 summits and 1 grave digger ( 7 servos in all). And each servo is now dead. Out of the four mini summits I now have only my other sons truck is working ( equipped with a hitec servo).

Incredible.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    I have to join the "Daddy purchased his son a grave digger" thread My 5 year old son has a 1/16 Grave Digger and he absolutely loves it. Switched it to training mode when he first started to use it. While he's been enjoying bashing, I've been enjoying upgrading it for him in steps. Waiting until he breaks the arms before replacing with RPM arms. Also going to wait until the stock ESC / Motor die before replacing with a brushless setup.

Since he first started using it I’ve:

1. Replaced the short live servo with a Hitec HS-82MG
    2. Replaced TX/RX with a Futaba 3PL
    3. Used end point on throttle to work him up from throttle to full throttle
    4. 4WD conversion
    5. Hot Racing aluminum shock bodies
    6. 80wt Shock oil
    7. Swapped front and back springs (harder springs on the rear)
    8. Replaced all bushings with bearings
    9. 7033x - Aluminum caps for pivot ball
    10. 7028X - Steel Hollow balls (not yet installed)
    Last edited by puma1824; 09-12-2012 at 12:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Puma, how's the 7033x ?
    Let us know how it goes with the caps, curious if it backs itself out or not?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    Puma, how's the 7033x ?
    Let us know how it goes with the caps, curious if it backs itself out or not?
    Seems to be good so far. My son hasn't used it that much since I installed the 7033x (same day as my previous post). I'll report back after the weekend. Also went ahead and installed the steel hollow balls (7028x). hmmm what's next?

RC Qualifier
    Steel hollow balls are great. A lot less play and last a whole lot longer.
    I think it should of came stock.
    My 5yr old has stock knuckles and I've got GH aluminum

RC Qualifier
    Stock servo is okay for the onroad and slash
    Other than that it's best to change it out if you've got a revo/summit, or using bigger tires than 3.25

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by puma1824 View Post
    I have to join the "Daddy purchased his son a grave digger" thread My 5 year old son has a 1/16 Grave Digger and he absolutely loves it. Switched it to training mode when he first started to use it. While he's been enjoying bashing, I've been enjoying upgrading it for him in steps. Waiting until he breaks the arms before replacing with RPM arms. Also going to wait until the stock ESC / Motor die before replacing with a brushless setup.

Since he first started using it I’ve:

1. Replaced the short live servo with a Hitec HS-82MG
    2. Replaced TX/RX with a Futaba 3PL
    3. Used end point on throttle to work him up from throttle to full throttle
    4. 4WD conversion
    5. Hot Racing aluminum shock bodies
    6. 80wt Shock oil
    7. Swapped front and back springs (harder springs on the rear)
    8. Replaced all bushings with bearings
    9. 7033x - Aluminum caps for pivot ball
    10. 7028X - Steel Hollow balls (not yet installed)
    Puma, How are the HR shock bodies working for you? I just got some with 80W oil for them, and am thinking of using stiffer springs. I converted my boy's GD to brushless, and under heavy braking during turns, the nose dives bringing one of the rear wheels off the ground. I want to stiffen the front end up to prevent that. It only happens when I drive it out of training mode at 100% throttle. Thanks for your input.
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC poster
    I know this is an old thread but I had a questions that was a good fit for it.

I'm just getting started with RC, actually I haven't even opened up the boxes yet. There was a sale locally that I came across on the last day and I picked up a 1/16 Grave Digger and a Slash 4WD. I'd like for my son and I to get involved in RC.

So my intention is for the 1/16 Grave Digger to be his RC, he is six years old. My concern is that he gets discouraged very quickly with something if it doesn't immediately go well. I noticed that Mulepic mentioned swapping the Transmission gears and putting in an 18 tooth pinion to slow down the RC. I think this is exactly what I want to do for my son.

So I'm a little fuzzy by what was meant by swapping the transmission gears. Was it just a rearrangment of the existing gears in the tranny or would it have been a replacement with a different set of gears? If it is a replacement with a different set of gears could someone suggest what ratios I should be looking at to get a similar effect that Mulepic experienced? Eg slower top speed and longer running time.

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    There are a few ways to slow it down.

The easiest is to use the training mode on the ESC. This reduces the speed to 50% without changing anything but a setting on the ESC. This method can also be used in conjunction with any other method.

The next easiest is to swap out a larger spur and smaller pinion that would have to be purchased separately. This method would be the least effective if it is the only one used.

The last method I know of is to swap out two transmission gears that are already in the transmission... no additional purchases needed. Here is a picture showing how:

When my MERV was being used mostly by my 2 year old (at the time, she is now almost 4) I swapped trans gears, the spur and pinion, and used 50% mode on the ESC to slow it up as much as possible. lol

EDIT:
    Found a video too!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Wow. That is exactly what I needed to now.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll try putting ESC to 50% and switching the tranny gears. If it is still too fast I'll pick up a different spur and pinion. Again, Thanks!

You guys must have one heck of a great RC community.

RC poster
    I have one more quick question.

Is it possible to make the same transmission gear change on a 1/10 scale 2WD Stampede?

Is it possible to make the same transmission gear change on a 1/10 scale 2WD Stampede?
    From what I know, you can't swap gears, they won't fit. I could be wrong though.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Just got one of these Digger's for my 3 yr old.

Is there a better way to glue the tires and balance them correctly?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by UZI4U Maxx View Post
    Just got one of these Digger's for my 3 yr old.

Is there a better way to glue the tires and balance them correctly?

Thanks
    If you find out, let me know, I got these tires for my kid as he loves grave digger, but they really wobble badly. I don't know that there is too much you can do about it.

I wouldn't bother with flipping gears in these, run nimh battery and training mode and it will be plenty slow. Then you could loosen the slipper as well to make sure it doesn't wheelie. Biggest things with kids is they don't know throttle control so flipping the gears so it has loads of torque to flip over doesn't seem like the best idea.

Then probably the biggest obstacle for a 3 year old or 4 year old is if their hands are big enough for the transmitter. My son has to physically move his hand to use reverse as his hand and finger aren't big enough to move the throttle back and forth with his finger.

RC Qualifier
    Quick Question can someone give me a height of the stock grave digger tires (possible use in a different project) thanks guys
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Well, after a little over a year, I had to do a 2nd minor rebuild on my boy's Grave Digger. He runs that little truck very hard! This tear down didn't require replacing bearings, only cleaning them. What I did have to replace were the toe links, push rods, & bearing carriers. There was a lot of slop in all 4 wheels, and the rod ends were worn out at the ball ends. The bearing carriers were worn to the point of the pillow balls were rattling around in their cages. I replaced those with RPM's, using graphite to lube them with. I like the RPM's because you can adjust the tension on the pillow balls.

Next, I'll have to clean the diffs & replace the fluid. I'm going to go up on the viscosity for better traction.

[IMG][URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/aburg2/media/TRAXXAS%20MINI/null_zpscf604ae5.jpg.html][/URL[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

AB

RC Champion
    Should have got those RPM carriers in green.

This is making me want to build a 4x4 Grave Digger now.lol.
    I already have a Rally,Slash,and 2 Mervs.
    Adding a Grave Digger and possibly a Summit(used to have one) would complete the 1/16 collection.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    Should have got those RPM carriers in green.

This is making me want to build a 4x4 Grave Digger now.lol.
    I already have a Rally,Slash,and 2 Mervs.
    Adding a Grave Digger and possibly a Summit(used to have one) would complete the 1/16 collection.
    I thought about the green ones, but you only see them when the wheels are off!
    WE also have a nice fleet of 1/16 rigs too, my boy has the GD, Slash 4X4, and a Rally. I have a Slash 4X4, a Boss 302, and the KB Fiesta, all are BL except the GD. Fun little rigs!!!

AB

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You can adjust the tension on the pillow balls with all of the aluminum knuckles too... that is not a RPM specific feature.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.