Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Grave Digger is great for the kids (with a little help)

Yesterday a 1/16 Grave Digger showed up. I purchased it for the kids b/c they are really into monster trucks at the moment. My boys are 5. Right out of the box I felt the truck ran too fast, too hot, and the battery didn't last long. I didn't want them to get frustrated w/ the short runtime, I didn't want them to burn themselves on the motor, and I didn't want them struggle w/ it flipping over all the time.

The simple solution was to slow it down. I tried setting the throttle endpoints on the remote but that still resulted in a hot motor and reverse didn't work all the time. So I swapped the gears in the tranny and put an 18t pinion on it. Now the truck runs for over 30 mins in grass, runs extremely cool, and is much easier for the kids to control. It's still fast enough to do wheelies and jump off a bike ramp. I think this is a great little car for the kids. I did buy all the stuff to convert it to 4wd but the kids are loving it the way it is. Nice job Traxxas!

I'll post up a long term review as we play with it, but I don't expect much to break on this thing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Thanks for the post!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Great! One of the best things I've done in all my 1/16 is to swap the internal gears...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    Just purchase a grave digger for my little one. It is surprisingly fast. And very durable(I will soon update the poor servo). But it can almost keep up with my other sons XL summit. But that is partially due to the vxl's innabiloty to gain traction. But nonetheless I am still impressed with its speed. I now have it on training mode. The lack of 4x4 becomes obvious when on grassy and big rocky areas
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Your kids must be more advanced than mine b/c the stock speed would have had that thing just flipping all over the place. My upgraded servo is on the way but I'm going to call traxxas and see if they'll replace the stock one. Seems silly how that thing strips its gears after just a couple packs and I'm running it at about 1/4 the speed.

RC Qualifier
    My 6yr old loves his mini Digger. We did the 4x4 upgrade and it is a beast. He loves to backflip off trees and we built a mudbog in the backyard. We also added a 2nd stock Traxxas servo to help throw the tires around in the mud... No more stripped servo problems!!

RC Qualifier
    I'm thinking after this weekend I might add the 4x4 parts. I'm just hoping the kids don't get their fingers caught. They seem to know not to grab it by the back tires but they do grab it by the fronts at times. I guess it'll only take one time to figure out how to pick it up.

RC Qualifier
    4wd makes an awesome little truck a true Mini Monster. My son learned very quickly to never grab the tires he uses the wheelie bar to carry his truck around

RC Qualifier
    My 5yr. old sons digger just is not very fast even out of training mode. Are you guys still using the stock 12t motor? I added a Traxxas 2.4ghz radio right out of the box could that be the problem? The only setup I did for it was to bind the tx and rx, is their something else I should do. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota2 View Post
    My 5yr. old sons digger just is not very fast even out of training mode. Are you guys still using the stock 12t motor? I added a Traxxas 2.4ghz radio right out of the box could that be the problem? The only setup I did for it was to bind the tx and rx, is their something else I should do. Thanks.
    I say the truck is fast for my son... still only does about 15mph. He is running the stock 12t Titan, stock spur gear and a 21t pinion(23t is stock on the Mini Digger) Did you calibrate the throttle when you installed the 2.4 radio? I also put the 2.4 on my sons truck and had to calibrate it... Very easy to do the instructions are in the manual
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    SlashDigger, I did calibrate the throttle when I set it up. I just recently did a couple small up grades to the digger and re-setup the transmitter just to make sure. Everything is working fine I think I was trying to compare my sons digger to my daughters vxl Merv and its just not apples to apples. I also started using 2 batteries in parallel and that seems to help a little. It is a fun little truck and he and I are having a blast with it.

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    It is definately not a vxl merv but I agree it is a fun little truck. The 4x4 upgrade helps it handle a lot better if you have not done it yet. My son keeps asking me to put the vxl in it so he can go faster. I keep telling him that speed = broken parts but he's not trying to hear that... I guess he is just like his father
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    I got a Mini Digger for my boy too, he loves it! I also did the 2.4 upgrade, but I used a TQi Tx with a 2218X Rx and use the iPod to tune it with. I also converted it to 4X4, which makes it unstoppable! I'm interested in the dual steering servo setup. Besides the additional servo, what do I need to add it?

Thanks!
    AB
    Last edited by aburg2; 05-12-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Qualifier
    AB you will also need part#7043 for the dual servo upgrade. It will be a bag full of parts but you will only need 1 or 2 of the parts in the bag to hook up the servo
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Enthusiast
    What parts do you need to make it 4 wheel drive?

RC Champion
    So this has become the official "Daddy purchased his son a grave digger" thread. I think the 4x4 is the best upgrade. It would really help the truck pull through tall grass. The stock hallow tires actually help cut down the weight to keep the truck feeling quick. I think I saw a " green out" kit by RpM that would complete the digger effect. I am still holding for a 1/16 Maximum Destruction body for my older sons summit.

Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-16-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: merge
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Quote Originally Posted by gullyjumper View Post
    What parts do you need to make it 4 wheel drive?
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5050003

RC Qualifier
    Gullyjumper
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    You will also need part #7020. They are the bearings that go between the diff and the bulkhead. An exploded view of the diff makes it look like they are included with the complete diff but they are not... No big deal just meant another trip to the lhs...

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post

I emailed RPM the day after we got my sons Digger and asked if they would be molding the suspension parts in green for the mini Digger and the merv... I guess they took my advice I cant wait to get these on the Digger
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-16-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: merge
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    I just converted mine to 4wd. It adds to the excitement level and makes it climb over small obstacles w/o using momentum. I think I'm going to add a front locker so it can climb even better. Here are all the part numbers I used to add 4wd:

7151 x 2

RC Qualifier
    This afternoon I put the locker in the front diff. It definitely helps it climb over more difficult obstacles. But my hs-85mg servo is struggling.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDigger View Post
    AB you will also need part#7043 for the dual servo upgrade. It will be a bag full of parts but you will only need 1 or 2 of the parts in the bag to hook up the servo
    Thanks! Got it done, also added the center diff, handles and climbs a whole lot better.

AB

RC Qualifier
    My son built a mud bog for his digger after we put the 4wd in

No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    Now THAT looks like a BLAST!!!!

AB

RC Champion
    hey guys are these a brushless truck?

or sorta like the 1/8 summit all fine in stock mode

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hey guys are these a brushless truck?

or sorta like the 1/8 summit all fine in stock mode
    Not brushless they come stock with a Titan 550 brushed 12t motor
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Champion
    i know but how good are they with brushless power from the vxl-3m

RC Champion
    For a young kid they are near perfect. If you run dual nimh batts (in training mode) you get 30+ minutes of action. My kids and I played "TRAXXAS TAG" this weekend and had a blast. My 3 year old ALMOST has the hang of driving. But due to the size of the transmitter he still must use his steering hand to go into reverse. It a blast taking corners on 2wd. Totally different effect.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Aaaaaarrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggg
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sorry I just had a Charlie brown moment

My digger just up and quit on me. I work on my custom summit, I work on my custom Erevo. I just wanted my sons truck to be simple, plug and play.

Unlike the VXL system there is no strange lights nor erratic behavior. It just stopped and cut off.won't turn on, nothing. Swapping out Batts did nothing. Ill swap out that servo next. But after ONE MONTH? We barely have 8 full runs on it.

Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Maybe a bad solder on the esc or some other connection? I've been running ours daily for over a month now.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on checking all solder connections

My sons Digger has been abused for almost 4 months now without any major problems... The Titan 550 is barely holding on though... it gets very hot quickly and only has about 50% power but Im not complaining about the Titan considering the abuse it has recieved in the hands of my 6 year old Honestly I cant wait for it to die so we can drop a VXL setup in his truck
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    Gear it down. You will also get better temps.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Champion
    OK really frustrated now. No loose wires soldering is fine. No overheating ( the truck was in training mode with st ock gearing and Batts ). Finally disassembled it and to my surprise it is not the servo but the esc. I disconnected the servo, hooked up a fresh battery and still no lights. I hardly ever buy new. Hobby store new price was $250. It is just over a month old so I believe the warranty is still good. But to pay shipping and then wait around just to install the same "new" speed controller that just pooped on me? I am wondering is it with it?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

If you call Traxxas they may not even want you to send the bad ESC... they might just replace it.

RC Competitor
    OK really frustrated now. No loose wires soldering is fine. No overheating ( the truck was in training mode with st ock gearing and Batts ). Finally disassembled it and to my surprise it is not the servo but the esc. I disconnected the servo, hooked up a fresh battery and still no lights. I hardly ever buy new. Hobby store new price was $250. It is just over a month old so I believe the warranty is still good. But to pay shipping and then wait around just to install the same "new" speed controller that just pooped on me? I am wondering is it with it?
    To be totally honest - it wasn't until recently that RC manufacturers even considered warrantying electronics, so frankly I'd suggest you be happy they'll even consider exchanging it for a new one.
    Otherwise, you might also consider that in today's marketplace, accounting for inflation compared to 20 years ago, that a $250 RTR car/truck that someone else assembled for you that includes an Electronic Speed Control is a STEAL. I remember back when the first ESCs came out, that had no warranty, and they were 100-bucks. Or, your other option is always to buy a premium model ESC . ... that start at $150

RC Champion
    Be happy? Yes I should be happy that a new purchase has " stand by your product" implications. Maybe at 42 I am not old enough to have been around when you purchased new products with the same expectations as buying lint from a used car salesman's pocket. But I have always heard good things regarding Traxxas customer service so I will take that opportunity.

No further complaints from me.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDigger View Post
    My son built a mud bog for his digger after we put the 4wd in

nice, my slash gets muddy and dusty during run
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Competitor
    Be happy? Yes I should be happy that a new purchase has " stand by your product" implications. Maybe at 42 I am not old enough to have been around when you purchased new products with the same expectations as buying lint from a used car salesman's pocket. But I have always heard good things regarding Traxxas customer service so I will take that opportunity.
    Not trying to say that - I'm just pointing out that electronics are not items that, until recently, were something that manufacturers warrantied at all. This isn't used car sales, go into any automotive parts store and ask them about their return policy on electronics. They don't have one, and the reason being is THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO IT that in more cases than not likely resulted in it burning up. Go to any bigbox store, and they'll tell you that their return policy on electronics is for the customer to return it to the manufacturer. Why? Because the manufacturer can tell if you plugged in your TV into the dryer outlet in the garage, and they can tell if you hooked up two battery packs to your ESC or had it overgeared and caused it to melt down.

I'm just saying, Traxxas has one of the best warranty programs in the world, let alone the RC market. So let's be happy they have one, instead of complaining because you have to by chance need to use it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wtrchuck View Post
    Not trying to say that - I'm just pointing out that electronics are not items that, until recently, were something that manufacturers warrantied at all. This isn't used car sales, go into any automotive parts store and ask them about their return policy on electronics. They don't have one, and the reason being is THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO IT that in more cases than not likely resulted in it burning up. Go to any bigbox store, and they'll tell you that their return policy on electronics is for the customer to return it to the manufacturer. Why? Because the manufacturer can tell if you plugged in your TV into the dryer outlet in the garage, and they can tell if you hooked up two battery packs to your ESC or had it overgeared and caused it to melt down.

I'm just saying, Traxxas has one of the best warranty programs in the world, let alone the RC market. So let's be happy they have one, instead of complaining because you have to by chance need to use it.
    I have to second that. My boy has the 1/16 Slash 4X4 with the 550 Titan and the Grave digger, I have 2 Slash 4X4 Ultimate's, and I've had an ESC fail, a steering servo & ESC smoke in the Digger at the same time, as well as a bad shock. In each case, Traxxas has replaced the parts immediately, thus another happy customer. I was toying with the idea of buying a truck from another manufacturer, but a buddy reminded me of the great customer service Traxxas has given me. So I'll be buying another Traxxas!

AB

RC Qualifier
    The Titan 550 finally died in my sons Digger so we installed the VXL 3m. WOW it made the truck fast and it will do standing backflips in forward and reverse My son was so excited that he wanted to try a triple backflip off a tree in our yard that we like to flip off of... I gave him the thumbs-up and he went for it... He got his triple backflip with a barrel roll but the landing wasnt pretty He broke a front and a rear a-arm on the landing so we headed to the lhs for parts. First on the list was a new pinion to slow him down. We got a 14t pinion running with a 55t spur and now the speeds are much more manageable for a 6yr old. We also picked up a set of the green RPM a-arms for the front and rear of the Digger. The new a-arms look so good on the truck I had to share...
    No Limit RC of Maryland