RC Enthusiast

Looking for some more speed on grass.

So I'm looking for some more speed through some pretty short grass. My dog (a boxer) chases it and he is getting a little more "comfortable" with it so i need to outrun him lol. Pede is stock 2wd vxl running the stock 7 cell batt and stock 19/86 gearing. I'm gonna go lipo eventually but I wanted to get a golden horizons alum gearbox to keep temps down before I do. Any other tips to get some more speed? Is there a tire that works better in grass than the talons? Would that give me more speed or just better acceleration? With the alum gearbox could I run a 3s lipo without causing temp damage? Will a 2s lipo give me like 5 more mph through the grass? Sorry for all the questions.

Some new pics for your troubles lol. Lowered the body and put strc alum steering blocks on.

Before

After

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Pretty much any tire can out perform the talons....on any surface. I love my trenchers the best on grass, but also use the monster jam tires quite a bit on grass and they do well as long as the grass is dry. If you are looking for crazy traction on grass, I hear the badlands are the way to go.

A 2s lipo won't give you more top speed than your 7 cell, but it will have longer runtime and perform at the same level the whole way through the pack and won't get slower and slower like the nimh pack. As for 3s, an alloy trans case will help bring temps down, but the only way to know what gearing you will need to run with it will be to use an infrared temp gun and gear according to temps. I can tell you that even short grass brings the motor temps up fairly quickly, especially on 3s lipo. So watch those temps closely.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Welcome to the Forum!!

I would move away from the Talons and pick up a set of Trenchers or Masher 2000. They are probably the best all around tire. Tread wear is great on them too.

Like baldy said the Lipo will perform dang near close to the 8.4v nimh. But what you will gain is a strait powerband. It will stay top notch until you hit LVC/ LVD, whereas nimh will not have the punch and will steadily decline throughout the pack. Once you get an aluminum tranny case you could gear up a couple more teeth ( on 2S ) then check the motor every 5 mins or so and be sure the temps are staying in check and go from there. But 19/86 is a good gear ratio for 2S. I run 19/83 on my Digger running the CC MMP 3800 combo, also with an REM tranny case. Temps are hardly an issue for me. When you go to 3S you might want to gear down a little 16/86 and go from there, just keep a check on your temps.

Oh and btw i'm a boxer fan also. I have a registered reverse brindle and a part boxer. They are the best dogs in the world.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Until you get some new tires try flipping you talons around for more grip. And if temps allow go up one more tooth on the pinion.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run 14/56 32p on 3s in my pede with no temp issues in short grass so if you go 3s I'd start there. Trenchers, masher2k's, or badlands are all good choices for grass running as well.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Competitor
    I got the masher 2k's on 2.2 rims. the tires are awesome. Also you need to go brushless to outrun your dog it sounds like. I just went brushless and are on 2s. I wouldn't even think abut putting 3s in until i can handle the 2s better. My pede flys on 2s i keep gearing at 16/86 and dont have any heat issues my lipo runs for 45 minutes no problem.. I changed the gearing to 24/76 and the thing would fly. It was too fast and motor was hot as ****.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. My boxer is just over a year old and him chasing the pede for 10 minutes equals an hour of exercise at the dog park. He is like a madman chasing that thing lol. He will go till he drops. As far as the tires go will new ones or flipping the talons around give me more speed cuz I'm spinning the current talons at speed or just better acceleration? It already wheelies on the grass as is. Sorry for the redundant questions. I just don't want him chewing up my new toy.

If I were to pick up the alum gearbox could I gear up (I think it's called) to get more speed on the grass? Should I go with a bigger pinion or a smaller spur? Any specific suggestions?
    Should I start with new tires first or go for the alum tranny/gear change first. They will both eventually get done but in do time as paychecks roll in.

RC Champion
    Keep an eye on your motor/esc temps. Running on grass heats up things much quicker do to the increases resistance.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Different tires will give you better traction which may give you better speed.
    Gearing up will give you More top end, speed, but could also raise motor temps if geared too high.
    Putting a 3s battery in makes the pede uncatchable for a dog... Until you roll.

RC Champion
    Just go 3s lipo and get what you really want... more speed.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Qualifier
    And gear down if your running 3S.

RC Enthusiast
    So I guess for now it's get the alum gearbox and save up for the 3s lipo and charger. I wish the charger wasn't so expensive. How much more speed (mph) can I expect from a 3s lipo compared to the 7 cell nimh with all else being equal?

RC Qualifier
    probably around 7-10mph would be my guess its a crazy difference going from the 4 cell to the 3s let me tell you what on 3s with 19/86 you shoud outrun your boxer just watch temps and gear as needed
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Also when I first got the pede I put in the optional 25t pinion gear and ran it on the grass and it definately raised the temps. But it also drained the battery much faster too. I didn't really notice a huge jump in top speed though. I don't know too much about the different gear options yet. So when I get the 3s what would be a good gearing setup to ensure I get more speed than my current setup while maintaining a good temp? Keeping in mind I will have the alum gearbox to aid in cooling.

With the alloy gearbox and a 3s lipo, I'd recommend starting with 17/90 and gear up if the temps allow. Even with this gearing on 3s, unless your dog can run 30-35 mph, he won't be catching your truck anytime soon. Not to mention that this gearing on 3s produces some intense acceleration.

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds awesome guys. Guess I have something to look forward to getting. Thanks for all the help with my questions. Good group of welcoming people on this forum. Been in some forums with some rude condescending people.

Here is the dog in question. His name is dudley.

And after 10 mins behind the pede lol.

Last edited by Drusburn; 04-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Good looking pup you got there. You better get your speed up cuz he'll make short work of the tires if he gets ahold of em!
    This is where the talons are perfect, when you get new tires and want him to quit chasing the truck for a minute, just throw him a talon to chew on. I can't think of a better use for the talons! Lol

This is an excellent spot if you need any help. Many good fellas around here willing to help. I can name one good one right before me ^^^. Talons are excellent chew toys. haha I was going to say tie it on to a rope and let him have at it but that may not be good if he gets a hold of it.

btw nice look'n dog you got there. They are the sweetest.

Here's a few of mine. I'm posting thumbs of them.

They are part of the family.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Those look like some good dogs diggerpede. I've never had a boxer before and they are the funniest dogs how they box everything with thier front paws. Do yours ever chase your trucks?

RC Champion
    Hi Drusburn. Funny question, my friends who have owned boxers always seem to give them a name that starts with a 'D,' Dutch, Duke and I see you chose Dudley. Any connection there?

Good luck finding the extra speed you are looking for. You can slightly gear up the truck as it sits, stressing out the battery. A 2S lipo will be more successful doing this than the stock battery and do a better job of fighting of the tendency to drain more quickly. Tires that provide better grip will certainly help your situation, also. Your talons look to be in good shape. They aren't a bad road tire and if you don't want to compromise, a second set of wheels and tires is always nice to have, even if you just want 2 for the rear. I like to think of 3S lipo as a way of making the motor itself spin another 10000 to 15000 Rpms faster. Without changing a gear on the truck, this setup will easily get you the rate of acceleration and top speed increase you want. You will find that this increase in power will produce a much faster truck - even tho its going to be very traction limited running thru grass. Like most have said, heat will become a factor.

Maybe it's just my dogs thing to do, but she tends to bite the tires when she catches my trucks, then flips them over and stands back victoriously. So I make sure to have old tires on before playing with her, she is lab-sharpei-whatever else wandered into the yard mutt-mix. I also have an odd sort of wedge shaped yard so it is easy to corner a truck.

As for gearing, I gave up trying to outrun her the only way to really do that is to go in circles as fast as possible. I run 18/86 gearing, even on 3s I don't have temp issues, but my runs aren't long and I check the motor frequently. I usually run without a lid also, but if your dog nips at the wires or near the chassis your better off putting it on. My dog is only about the tires and they have plenty of holes to prove it.

A good cheap offroad tire is the old chevrons, you can dremel the tread V to a sharp edge and they will bite very well in grass and dirt and you should be able to find them for really cheap in the MP.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Quote Originally Posted by Drusburn View Post
    Those look like some good dogs diggerpede. I've never had a boxer before and they are the funniest dogs how they box everything with thier front paws. Do yours ever chase your trucks?
    Thanks man! I've had a boxer for a few years now. They are so awesome. Yep they do. I had a male that stayed outside and he would jump up and put his paws around your waiste and give you a hug.

+1 to Oaks
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    We were looking at a bunch of names for him and we saw Dudley and just knew that was it lol. They are clumbsy so it just fits haha. Great dogs, a lot of energy though. I bought him a toy tire made of real rubber, smells like it to, and he loves it but it's really thick so he hasn't destroyed it yet. Funny thing though he doesn't even pay attention to the pede sitting on the floor of the living room, until he hears some noise come from it, then he goes crazy thinking its time to chase it.

Also I bought the GH alum gear box online today. I assume the gears need lube or fluid or something in the gear box. What should I use? Is the swap pretty straight forward? Anyone got a link to a write up or something on how to do it so I don't screw anything up?

It basically just swap over. The GH are nice cases for the money. I have one in my Slash and it's held up really well. I beat that little truck down. Note: Hang on to the little teflon washers and placement of them. The best thing is to download or view the transmission schematic.

How long have you owned the truck. It never hurts to clean the gears up and re-grease them. Also inspect the bearings and clean them up a bit if needed. May be a good idea to look at the Diff depending on how long and how hard you've run the truck also. Way i look at it while you are there mind as well maintenance it up unless its fairly new.

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...n_091215_0.pdf

Here's a good writeup.

Time-to-take-a-peek-in-my-tranny
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 04-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusburn View Post
    Sounds awesome guys. Guess I have something to look forward to getting. Thanks for all the help with my questions. Good group of welcoming people on this forum. Been in some forums with some rude condescending people.

Here is the dog in question. His name is dudley.

And after 10 mins behind the pede lol.

Nice looking dog.I love dogs we have 3.Rottie,Beagle and a Puggle.My puggle looks just like your dog but smaller.

RC Enthusiast
    Well that schematic doesn't look intimidating at all lol. I've only had the pede for a couple of weeks so I doubt the gears are dirty. I've seen a couple different things used for lubing the gears. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks snowfighter we almost got a puggle but decided on the boxer last minute.

When i bust in there i like to clean all the gears off and freshen them up. You don't necessarily have to since its new. You can probably transfer them over as is and dab them with a little more. I use Hvy Duty lithium automotive grease. You can do that right at the end at the bottom opening and spin it in.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Different tires will give you better traction which may give you better speed.
    Gearing up will give you More top end, speed, but could also raise motor temps if geared too high.
    Putting a 3s battery in makes the pede uncatchable for a dog... Until you roll.
    i agree. get a higher rated kv motor, and get a 3s to help get suitable torque for the lower turns. also, get the trencher tires from proline, it has more traction than the talons, and will last longer. get cermatic bearings, they are smoother than rubber sealed ones. than your pede will be dog proof

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Higher kv motors will also heat up faster through grass due to them having less torque so keep that in mind.

POST 3000!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Higher kv motors will also heat up faster through grass due to them having less torque so keep that in mind.

POST 3000!
    Unless you are running a 4-pole motor like the CC 3800kv motor. Just an example.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Unless you are running a 4-pole motor like the CC 3800kv motor. Just an example.
    Not always true though bro, cuz what about the castle/dtx element 4 pole 3900kv? I bet castle regrets even putting their name on that motor. Lol.

But when you think about it, dtx did come up with a very suitable name for the motor at least, cuz it does as it's name implies, and heats up like an element! Haha

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Not always true though bro, cuz what about the castle/dtx element 4 pole 3900kv? I bet castle regrets even putting their name on that motor. Lol.

But when you think about it, dtx did come up with a very suitable name for the motor at least, cuz it does as it's name implies, and heats up like an element! Haha

Hey now be nie. Notice I said Castle Creations, not a nock off! LOL

I so wanted to try the Element glad I didn't want one that consisted of heat.

Ewe the Fifth Element comes to mind, Milla Jovovich!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Hey now be nie. Notice I said Castle Creations, not a nock off! LOL

I so wanted to try the Element glad I didn't want one that consisted of heat.

Ewe the Fifth Element comes to mind, Milla Jovovich!!
    Lol. Yeah I'm not sure why they opted to pair such a mediocre motor with an esc that is capable of so much more performance than the motor allows. I'm pretty impressed with the esc, but not enough to pay 140 bucks for it again. 