Thread: broke again

RC Champion

broke again

i bent another stock front hinge pin and nearly broke another rpm arm and almost broke my bulkhead again. i like the stock hinge pins because they have no slop but they seem to get bent easy causing stress and causing my rpm arms to bend and break along with my stock bulkhead. i know i can get an aluminum bulkhead which i will probably do but will i need new screws? will i need some type of locktight for them and can i get the locktight at my local hobby shop? and is there a good aftermarket upgrade for my hinge pins that fit like stock but are stronger?

RC Champion
    First of all, that must have been one nasty impact!

Have you pulled your shocks and inspected the shafts to see if they are bent and binding and not soaking up some of the impact?
    Do you have the front tie bar in place, the fiberglass one and is it breaking?
    Anza RC makes a set of hardened pins that take a nut instead of an 'E' clip and I have installed an FLM aluminum tie bar on the front and rear of mine.
    Are you landing in dirt or are you hitting on concrete and curbs??

Oh, and I'll remember to never let you borrow my truck LOL!

Put a set of STRC pins in your truck and youll be very happy with them. Like the anza's, they use a lock nut instead of an eclip.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    i run on dirt and pavement. i dont have a tie bar. i didnt know they made one for the 2wd slash. anyone got pics of the tie bar installed on a 2wd slash? yes it was a few hard impacts and crashes. 3s 5000mah lipo on big dirt jumps and the 1/5 scale track in the wind are a little rough. fun as ****, but rough. lol. also do the anza, and/or strc pins fit snug with no slop like the stock ones? i just liked the stock ones cause there was no play in the control arms right there which cause erratic steering if there is any play or slop in that pivot area.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    If you are going to get the alum bulk, at the same time as the tie bar, dont get the tie bar. I have been running my alum bulk for almost 2 years with stock pins and no tie bar. The pins have not bent yet, and I have not broken anything in front without the tie bar.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion

Here is the front Tie bar on my current build and the rear. Aluminum by FLM at about $6ea.
    Stock Traxxas Slash 2WD has a front fiberglass one, maybe yours broke off long ago or someone left it off???
    Traxxas part #2532 for the fiberglass tie bar Slash 2WD
    Last edited by kwitty; 04-16-2012 at 11:42 PM.

That flm tie bar is very delicious! Do you know if it will fit a stock slash/rusty/pede rear gearbox and skid/chassis setup? Also is it the same size front and rear?

One more ?
    Is your ft bulk dyed?

RC Champion
    LOL You mean I have something you would want Rag?
    First, bulkhead is paint sprayed, funny I had some old VHT header paint laying around and the color matched good to the Traxxas servo so..........

The aluminum FLM has engraving so I sprayed it too and sanded off the top layer and left the rest highlighted.
    Same size both front and rear Yes
    Fitting stock should work it you have the longer pins to accomodate the thickness of the tie bar which is about 2mm thick.

One more for you.........they are light too
    Stormer Hobbies FLM29000 part number search......description of what it fits is listed. Looks like dogbone would clear underside bracing to work on stock slash
    Last edited by kwitty; 04-16-2012 at 11:40 PM.

I want everybodys truck!
    The color was what caught my eye lol. Good attention to detail. I thought flm was adding color to their parts 8(

RC Champion
    thx for the info. hey kwitty, those pins you got, are they the same thickness as the stock ones? if so i will be getting those ones along with the tie bar. oh and would these pins and tie bars work with the strc lcg kit that i plan on getting?

RC Qualifier
    i just put the strc pins in my truck and ilove the they work 100% better. as for aluminum bulkhead waist of money in my opinion put on a fibergalss or aluminum tie bar and strc locking nut pins and youll be hitting curbs at 50mph again in time. thats what i do.

header paint now were talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    LOL You mean I have something you would want Rag?
    First, bulkhead is paint sprayed, funny I had some old VHT header paint laying around and the color matched good to the Traxxas servo so..........

The aluminum FLM has engraving so I sprayed it too and sanded off the top layer and left the rest highlighted.now
    Same size both front and rear Yes
    Fitting stock should work it you have the longer pins to accomodate the thickness of the tie bar which is about 2mm thick.

One more for you.........they are light too
    Stormer Hobbies FLM29000 part number search......description of what it fits is listed. Looks like dogbone would clear underside bracing to work on stock slash
    Slash 2wd Vxl, ERBE; Crash N Learn

RC Qualifier
    what good does the rear tie bar do? does it control slop and rollovers or what?

RC Champion
    Gotta think same as front lol reinforces the inability of the pins in hard impact to pull away from bulkhead or in this case trans. Would be like the effect of adding steps to the side rails of a ladder, reduce twist, link both bars together for more strength. Sell more product...lol

I love my alum bulk. Got tired of breaking those, and the fg tiebar. It also adds a little weight to the front of these light trucks. Only a little dif in handling, but it helps a little.

RC Champion
    now with the aluminum, will i need some type of lock tight or something to keep the screws from backing out? and where would i get locktight?

Any hardware store for the locktite. Yes it is a good idea on any metal on metal screws.

RC Qualifier
    what is a good brand for aluminium bulk heads?

Strc is all I have used, and works great. I have seen many posts that flm is great too. Anza should be looked into.