RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar

and another new descovery, for those who run sick power to the p2de

Alright, check this out..... protrac for 4wd was recently released right, k. Proline states that to get the length and strength from motor to tires, the best solution is 2wd MIP's for pede and rusty. They are a bit longer than the 4wd mip set. Pave tried the MIP's for p4de last year without any luck, then MIP's released the p2de set for how much? Ya, $75ish on the tag lol at the price but hey, some of us need it. I use 4wd shafts without issue and they last for a month or so before a failure. I tried the Xo1 set of shafts with out any luck earlier this year. Well, if you want another alternative, now you can go Tekno! They sell a set of dog bones for $20 specifically for 4wd protrac sl4sh/p4de. So a set of rear Tekno for p4de or sl4sh for $45-$50 plus a set of protrac bones for $20 and you get a Tekno equipped p2de with oversized bearings. For around $70. The upside is way less rotating mass and you will gain a 6mm axle in the rear.
    Downsides may be using Tekno 17mm hex set if you run big wheels, they may be a bit different than other sets from other companies so I don't know how many mm will very from one manufacturer to another resulting in a slight difference front and rear on width. Its Kool, Baldy don't care lol ..j/k. Also, I don't know if the rear carrier will work out with the 2.8s. It should cause I've been running Tekno with 2.8 on a sl4sh all through last year. I'll fit it all up and confirm this week.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I was just scoping the Sl4sh thread you were talkinga bout this on!! LOL I have a P4de that i don't want to change up and am thinking about picking up a Sl4sh sometime in the near future and one of my options would be to put some beefy shafts. I have a Sl2sh that i beat up all over the place around the house. I never give it the light of day, i dog it and it comes back asking for more. Talking about a well built truck. I never do that to my Digger for some odd reason.

I was so thinking about trying that mod on my Digger. But would have to upgrade my tire choice to go to the 6mm axles. Ive also been wanting to move to 17mm hexes. I could always save this set of tires i currently have on my Digger and move them to my P4de, so not really at a loss. Just a major gain. Kinda like moving up to the big boys ( dread and baldy ).
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

You can use the same wheels with those axles, it doesn't change that at all.

Oh shoot nm. I was thinking the axles were a different size. That's even better.

I was thinking the were 5mm instead of 6mm. Have no idea why. Arhh!!
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 04-17-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Stock axles are 5mm, MIP's are 5mm xo1 are 6mm and Tekno are 6mm but the wheels still fit and the same wheel nuts will still work. The hex changes to Tekno for the 6mm axle and they provide them in the kit. But what you get are the soft nylon hexes that kill the wheels and round over on the edges if you run any real power to them. I use Tekno alloy hex set. Remember it's a 6mm axle so your stuck buying a set of their hexes weather it be nylon replacements for the ones you quickly trashed for $10 or alloy for $20 and they last. Im still running the same ines from last year. Also, if you go up to a 3.2 wheel or any other 17mm set, you'll need the tekno 17mm hex set to fit over the 6mm axle nicely. I tried a trx set with no luck, the set pin was different and I didn't want to fool around at the time.

Ok kewl deal. So my thought was right. I get what you are saying now. You can tell i've never changed anything on/ for the axle. Learn something new everyday. Well thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Hey dread, I am very intrigued by this, as I am considering making custom 6mm axles for my hr p2de. Now what I need to know is how to get my front axles to be 6mm? I have located bearings for the stampede carriers that have an inner diameter of 6mm, but they aren't cheap and I'm not sure that making the inner workings of the bearing would be a strength upgrade.

And you are correct, a few mm's difference in front to rear track width makes no difference to me! Lol. Especially when the track width is pushing the 15" mark!

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 04-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

That's something I'm working out in my mind too. To bad its not as easy as using a stub axle from Tekno, they are 6mm and it would be about $15 for a pair just, how to house them. Its close to the same as a sl4sh front axle. It has the 10mm inner and 6mm outer so it could be a matter of adapting a xo1 carrier for alloy (same spec as the Tekno carrier but alloy) or, use a Tekno carrier. Does anyone make a front carrier with oversized bearings? What other rc uses a front carrier with a 10x15 inner seat for the huge inner edge on a Tekno? Well, I do know that MIP is working on a 6mm stub axle for the hd sets and if they do release it, you can bet they will sell a matching front. Oh shoot, I forgot to tell you Baldy, FLM has 6mm sets now!!!! Holy schnikey, can't believe I forgot that. Checked them out about a week ago to lol. Go give it a look, see if its out for p2de use too.