Thread: engine problems

RC Enthusiast

engine problems

I am running traxxas top fuel 20%. I get it started and then it just bogs out and dies, i hope is not a fuel line leak, i primed it by covering the pipe and set and re-set the carb(not a newb) just for it to not start after that maybe primed it too long, what do yall suggest? Feel free to ask me any questions.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the help,,,,,,sarcasm. where are the mods they always know what to say? Busy with other stuff i guess.

RC Qualifier
    Easy dude its been twenty minutes.......need a little more info for anyone to help you.

Set the carb to factory settings, make sure your glow plug is good, also check that your fuel tank seal is good, and clear the engine of fuel if you flooded it. Lets start from there.
    Last edited by Bloody_Wheels; 04-16-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Enthusiast
    I just put a new plug in it, and it has a good seal on the tank. Already tried reseting the carb too.

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried replacing the fuel line? Sometimes you cant tell by looks if they are bad so if there is any question, I go ahead and replace them.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Racer
    Well im sure if you look through threads you will find some answers. Or google.. then come back and have patience..

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks bloody wheels, will try that tommorow.

RC Champion
    bog and die - hhmmmm....too much air and not enough fuel?

if you reset the carb to factory, are you getting fuel from the tail pipe? do you live at higher elevations? did the car sit up for a while without getting cleaned? have you ran it lean and burned up the piston? have you looked at that yet? does it have good compression and not leaking when at the top of the compression stroke?

few questions for you to think about. maybe something will help, if not, at least we will have more information to go on. make sure you let it idle and get warm before you try to drive it. Your settings my be really far off for your climate and it doesnt do any good to turn it while its cold - i know you already know that but sometimes you have to state to apparent because people tend to over think small issues

get back to us, tell us what you find

RC Enthusiast
    I assume it is an air leak as well. Yea i get good blue smoke not fuel tho. Never run very lean cuz im a basher. Good Compression still. Gonna try new fuel lines and reset carb again i guess, also gonna check my gas tank for air leaks.

RC Enthusiast
    How can you tell when your engine is wore out, It just looses compression and won't start anymore? I still have good compression. About to work on that carb.

RC Enthusiast
    Yea Redsawacs I know that you can look at the piston and see if it is burnt on the side right, from running lean. But i doubt thats whats wrong with mine, like I said Im a basher and I run pretty rich most the time.

Is there un burned fuel coming out from the exhaust pipe? Could be your running too rich... I'm not sure... How many gallons is on the engine?
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 10-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC poster
    http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/misc/tuning-flowchart.pdf

Give this a try it should help you atleast get going some what lol

RC Racer
    I have just been going through a re-tune with my Revo, was getting a similar thing, would idle a bit then stop running & would bog down & die when trying to accelerate, was just still to rich in the bottom end but I seemed to have a bit of trouble this time getting a good tune. So yesterday I adjusted LSN just enough to keep it running & so I could get it moving, just, then I adjusted HSN to get it going quick on the top end but with good smoke. Bottom end was still bogging down a fair bit though so needed more adjustment on the LSN, goes much better now from a standing start & got it to pull wheelstands again. These needles are so touchy though, it can be a real pain sometimes.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-26-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: language
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC poster
    I had take the carb apart and check for damage, there are a couple of plugs with orings if i remember correctly on the 3.3, you could also have a damaged hsn or lsn seat. just curious. Did you seal the motor ?

RC Enthusiast
    this sounds exactly like a problem i had with mine. im gonna say it is 90% a fuel tank o ring. give it a shot, it costs $3, could save you a ton of headache.