Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72

    New Revo Owner ask for Help! Black Powder/Flour around spur gear after break-in

    After the 5th tank, I noticed there are a lot of black powder/flour on the chassis around spur gear/slipper clutch. there are also some on the air filter.
    I don't know whether it's normal. Is it from the slipper clutch or does it mean I had a wrong gear mesh.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Putting the water on the hot stuff
    Posts
    9,703
    Two things: the clutch is slipping a bit and/or the slipper is slipping. Clean the chassis and tighten the slipper. Also, you may want to check the clutch as break-in is hard on them.
    The Super Derecho

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Thanks for your suggestions, Double G.
    I'll check both of them. Do I need to do the gear mesh?

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    take a look at the gear if you see some missing material. try adjusting the engine mount to bring the two gears together properly. chances are it rolled over and moved the engine causing the gears to be seperated just a bit.

    also, when every thing is shut down and in gear. roll ur revo back and forth about a inch. checking for slosh in the gears. that could tell you how bad ur adjustment/damage is.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Thank JP3.3.
    I followed trx A4 paper method to mesh the gears. However it's hard to judge whether I have done it properly. Because I saw a video on youtube in which a guy uses the sound of rotating gears to mesh gears. Mine sounds different from his.

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,215
    Yes do the sound test to mesh. It works WAY better than the stupid paper method. Set it so it binds just the SLIGHTEST little bit but still rolls freely when you move the truck.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3
    I agree with upbasher. You can tell when you have it correct.

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    no prob. let me know how you make out.

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    I checked my spur gear. No significant sign of worn. My problem of doing a sound test is when my gears rotate, they sound completely different to those in nitromad48's video no matter they are tight or loose.
    Last edited by hfofhf; 10-26-2012 at 11:56 AM.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by hfofhf View Post
    I checked my spur gear. No significant sign of worn. My problem of doing a sound test is when my gears rotate, they sound completely different to those in nitromad48's video no matter they are tight or loose.
    After a few times of tearing down and modding, experience with resetting gear mesh... I can tell you the paper method works. But you still can mesh the gears too hard with it... Once youhave meshed your gears with the paper, use one hand to prevent the spur gear from moving, then use your other hand/fingers to rock the Clutch Bell back and forth. You should feel a tiny tiny bit of movement in between. If it is too tight you will not feel this tiny bit of movement...

    Usually if your mesh it too tight you WILL hear a whirring sound.. Also your CB bearings won't hold up very well and possibly the bearing supporting the nitro input shaft (hold's the spur gear)....

    After a while you develope how the CB and spur should feel when meshed properly to the point you don't need the paper trick...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    how much "whirring" do you hear after your method?

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3.3 View Post
    how much "whirring" do you hear after your method?
    it's hard to tell, maybe a little bit. In nitromad48's video there is almost no sound after correct mesh. But I always got some.

  13. #13
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Putting the water on the hot stuff
    Posts
    9,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Once youhave meshed your gears with the paper, use one hand to prevent the spur gear from moving, then use your other hand/fingers to rock the Clutch Bell back and forth. You should feel a tiny tiny bit of movement in between. If it is too tight you will not feel this tiny bit of movement...
    Such wise words straight from the master (well, one of them ).
    Since I like to see pictures:
    Here's what the paper should look like with good mesh:



    It may be a little hard to see, but there is a little gap between the spur and clutch bell. Holding the clutch bell and rocking the spur will get a little bit of movement as mentioned above.

    The Super Derecho

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    yea same here... no matter what ive tried in the past id always get some
    Quote Originally Posted by hfofhf View Post
    it's hard to tell, maybe a little bit. In nitromad48's video there is almost no sound after correct mesh. But I always got some.

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    74
    I visually align the gears, check for a slight amount of backlash just as described above, and then confirm I got it right by the way it sounds. I like to set my gears as tight as I can without producing significant gear noise. Wish I could explain it with a hard and fast rule or description of the noise, unfortunately it is something you just learn with a little experience.

    I personally to not like the paper method. It has too many variables that can impact the result. Age and wear of gears, pitch of gears, diameter of gears, width of gear face, paper weight. I trust my eyes and ears more...

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by goodie1977 View Post
    I visually align the gears, check for a slight amount of backlash just as described above, and then confirm I got it right by the way it sounds. I like to set my gears as tight as I can without producing significant gear noise. Wish I could explain it with a hard and fast rule or description of the noise, unfortunately it is something you just learn with a little experience.

    I personally to not like the paper method. It has too many variables that can impact the result. Age and wear of gears, pitch of gears, diameter of gears, width of gear face, paper weight. I trust my eyes and ears more...
    Yes. I tried to mesh several times by the paper method. It sounds different each time. I guess I'll go with the sound method and just choose the set up that makes the quietest noise.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3.3 View Post
    how much "whirring" do you hear after your method?
    None.... No whirring... If you do something's not right...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    I disassembled my revo, and it turned out that the black powder/flour were from the clutch shoes. Wondering what materiel the stock shoes are. Seems it got a really hard worn here. I guess I had improper break-in.

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    87
    No.....I believe this is normal. Both my revo and slayer had the same black residue initially....

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Skholar View Post
    No.....I believe this is normal. Both my revo and slayer had the same black residue initially....
    Glad to know it's normal. thanks.
    but the black residue really bothers me. it went everywhere, air filter, throttle arm and cover, ez-start, fuel tank and center drive shaft...

  21. #21
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3.3 View Post
    how much "whirring" do you hear after your method?
    for now, it's like the spur gear can move 0.5~0.8 mm when the clutch bell gear is stopped by my figure. Sounds less noise. I hope it is not too loose.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •