RC Competitor

2 ez peak plus concerns

Hi everyone,

I have 2 concerns with this charger.

1: when I plug in my lipo to balance charge them when it asks me to confirm that the cell counts match and are correct, the fan will go on and off constantly. When I do confirm it is correct, the fan will slowly stop doing that and function normally... is this the way it's designed to be?

2: I noticed that when I use the storage mode, it takes an incredibly long time for it to finish, if its even supposed to finish. I noticed today that it was on 3.8 volts per cell for over 40 minutes and the charger was still doing its thing. After 98 minutes I took it off the charger myself. When using storage mode, is it supposed to take that long, and is it supposed to stop on its own? It only takes me 48 min or so to recharge it from 3.5.. so it just seems odd.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

1. Does it sound like this:

If so, the fan is...not the healthiest. Call Traxxas Support.
    2. Are you charging up to storage or discharging down to storage?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Yep, that's what it sounds like. From 0 to 6 seconds in that video, just over and over for 10-20 seconds or so..

And I am charging up to storage from 3.5 when I'm done running it.

RC Qualifier
    Mine has done that since day one. It hasn't caused an issue, when/if it does I plan to go higher end on my charger anyways. Second question, yes, it does take a while to get to storage level, with my EZ as well. I usually charge it up to about 3.8 and then switch it to storage mode.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

The fan that made the sound in my video has never failed. It makes funny noises like that, sometimes more, sometimes less. But it has never even tried to stop working.

Are you charging at the same rate in storage charge and balance charge modes? Even if you are, chargers have different charge termination settings. Some end a charge when the rate drops to one-third of the maximum charge rate. (This would be a very fast, not too accurate charge.) Others end at one-fifth, one-tenth, or one-twentieth of the maximum charge rate. The progression I listed is becoming more accurate...with much longer charge times. It is possible that the storage charge is using a more accurate termination setting than the balance charge, but this is pure speculation.

RC Competitor
    I will try doing as you do Chris and charge to 3.8ish and then put it in storage mode..

Ksb51rl, I think I will just deal with the fan for now then. It doesn't do that while its balancing or storing, so that's good at least. And i am balance charging at 6amps (the Max) and storage charging at 2amps (the Max). I know that since the storage mode is at a lower amp that it'll take longer overall, it just sits at 3.8 the whole time after 40 min which seemed odd to me. Gonna try what Chris does and that should speed things up.

Thanks for the replies!

Okay to all that but why storage charge at the lower rate? A storage charge should act just like a normal charge with the exception of having a different maximum voltage. This means it should use a CC/CV charging method where the charge rate (amps) drops once the maximum voltage is reached.

RC Competitor
    This charger doesn't let me storage charge at more than 2 amps. 2 amps is the maximum storage charge, and 6 amps is the maximum balance charge. If I could storage charge at a higher rate I would.

That is very interesting since the manual shows a LiIo (lithium ion) storage charge example of 3.0 amps. No example is given for LiPo.

RC Competitor
    Yep, I saw that too and was going crazy trying to change it figuring it'd be the same for lipo

RC Champion
    Smart thinking on Traxxas's part

But How deceiving!
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..