RC Qualifier

Castle ESC issues

I went to take my Spartan out for a run today and it has suddenly started having issues. I have no throttle whatsoever but the steering always works. When I plug batteries in there is no beeps or lights from the ESC at all. The receiver lights up fine and it rebinds without a drama.

I've tried to recalibrate the throttle with no luck. I've switched between LiPo and NiMH batteries and modes. I know the ESC is getting power because I've checked it with my multimeter.

Can anyone help me work out what is going on. I'm at my wits end and ready to punch something. Last time I ran the boat it was absolutely fine. I haven't changed a thing since it was last used.

Further information...

I just switched the steering and throttle channels on the receiver to see if the receiver was acting up and it started up like normal (albeit with the trigger for steering and the wheel for throttle). When I switched back it went back to borked again with no throttle but it had steering.

Right, another update. I managed to get it to work in a way. I selected sports mode and it started up properly. The issue I then had was that when I gave it throttle and then released it to the neutral position the motor would still run for a few seconds. It eventually stopped though. I tried again and this time I went to brakes/reverse and you could hear it give out a huge thud when it stopped. I tried hitting reverse and this time when the trigger was released to neutral it wouldn't stop at all. I had to apply throttle forward for it to stop spinning (which also gave a massive thud as the rotor stopped). I unplugged the batteries and once again I'm back where I started... Steering but not throttle.

Forth update. After typing the last message I plugged the batteries in again and it started up fine however it still had the issue of not releasing the throttle. I unplugged and then replugged the batteries and now it's back to no throttle.

Geez, this is getting fun!!! It now seems like when I plug in the batteries and have steering but no throttle that it's cycling through modes. When I pull the trigger and hold it it beeps once, waits, beeps twice, waits, beeps three times and then repeats the process again.

Could I have a transmitter issue?

No transmitter issue, I just tried another one and it's doing the same thing. I also tried to reset the throttle position in the transmitter menu and it didn't help. I'm really starting to think the ESC is dead (which wouldn't surprise me given Traxxas' track record with dodgy electrics).

Still no love and I've been fiddling with it for hours.

If the ESC is faulty can I just drop in a Seaking 180 and run the stock motor? If so, is it much of an improvement?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-15-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: post merge
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Qualifier
    I never ran the stock electrics in my 1st generation Spartans, so I really have no experience with the stock electrics, 1st or 2nd generation, so I can't really help with the trouble shooting.

I does sound to me like either the Rx or the ESC is acting up. Did the electrics get wet on your previous outing?

Yes, you should be able to run the Seaking 180 with the stock motor, and yes it is an improvement. The Seaking is rated 180 amps continuous, the stock ESC is rated 80 amps continuous.

hog

RC Qualifier
    Nothing got wet which is why I'm puzzled. Between outings I didn't even unplug anything which is why I'm puzzled. I'm going to try resetting the transmitter but given that I've tried with a different one already with no luck I don't think that's the issue.

If the ESC is dead I think I might just go all out and get a Castle Hydra 240. Any comments on these units and the stock motor? Would it be much of an improvement over the Seaking?
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Qualifier
    I think I'm officially giving up (unless someone else has ideas). I've swapped out the receiver, tried 2 different transmitters, reset both transmitters to factory settings, rebinded them, recalibrated the ESC, reprogrammed the ESC, reset the throttle end points and several combinations of the afore mentioned... and still doesn't work. It could well be something simple that I'm missing but I just don't know.

Hydra time I think.
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Qualifier
    The Hydra would be the "Cadillac" ESC if you are willing to pay the extra bucks. It would give you lots of amps to work with, and if you are thinking of experimenting with larger props would definitely give you a "safety margin" for amp draws on 6S.

The **** is used by many, including myself, and has proven to provide pretty solid service at about 1/3 the cost of the Hydra 240. They are not bullet proof and you can still overload them if you prop up too much, or try running higher kv motors on 6S.

Or contact Castle and find out what they will do on warranty.

hog

RC Qualifier
    Well I caved… the 240 is paid and on order. New thread time (saves flooding this with a different topic).

Will Castle still warrant my VXL6s even if I've changed the plugs?

If anyone still has some ideas as to what is wrong with my ESC please post em up. If worst comes to worst and it is actually fine I can just chuck t on eBay or the forums here.
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Champion
    It is the speed control... I had the same experiance last summer.... If you have any other speed control, you can test to make sure as that is what I did. I used a speed control from my Slash and when it worked in testing, it just confirmed that the Spartan ESC was on the outs.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    Had a similar problem this weekend.

I changed the Neutral switch to 50/50 from 70/30, and everything ran fine from there.