Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    lol yeah, it looks like it came straight out of the summit box, special edition TQ

now you just need a small LCD screen and stuff attached so you can view the camera in real time!
    Last edited by TQi; 04-23-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    Haha I've been toying with the idea of using the PSP screen.... we'll see what happens. For now I'm going to work on something that "lags" the camera movement. Because the psp joystick has such a short throw (moves 6mm left, 6mm right etc..) I'm going to make something that when I say "move left" it gradually moves left, instead of right as I do it, a nice "ease to" function.

The tilt & pan was just a, "I'm bored, I'm going to make some kinda mechanical thang" and it's turned in to this! For now it'll be nice to just have it mounted to the car, driving along, looking left, down at the wheels, up as I go under things, etc... for actual FPV there's a lot involved in that, I don't want to get too side-tracked yet. Thinking of picking up one of those REPLAY XD cams in the next couple weeks.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good

I can't wait to check out a video of it

RC Champion
    Bah, after about 20 hours of research..... I'm not going to make the screen a part of the remote. It is certainly doable, there are screens for $30, and 2.4 and 5.8ghz systems that are TINY and would look WICKED, buuuuuut... they're ONLY good for clear areas, and since I'm using a 2.4ghz system, I'd need to go the 5.8 (the higher the frequency, the shorter the wave, the less distance and more direct line of sight you need) but at 5.8 as soon as anything is inbetween the tx and rx of the video, it'd cut out. So that's no good (only good for flying. And VERY good for flying at that)

I'd need a 900mhz or 1.3ghz setup, and they have much larger receivers, annnnnnnd that's not going to work out with a big'ol receiver box hanging off the remote. I GUESS I'd have to make a "base station" but hey, I could combine my remote with the base station somehow hahaha. We'll see. For now, I'm just waiting on getting this Voltmeter and I'll update when that happens.

RC Champion
    About this joystick from the PSP

When I hooked it up, it no longer turned the servo the full 45 in each direction, it was more like 25 left, and 8-9 right. Super annoying, but with my pan gearing (basically 1:2) it kind of made up for it. I just ripped apart a servo time and time and time again changing out resistors on the pot. Eventually I've got it working where I have a 85 left and 88 right (pretty much the same, and only guessing) The left pin took a 4.2k and a 1k in series (5.2k resistor) and the right took two 6k in parallel, making roughly 3k resistor. Very annoying, but after soldering, re-gearing, closing up and testing 10 times.. I'm happy.

If it turns anymore left or right, the whole thing glitches out and goes mad, so I've come very close to the limit with this servo. I know they sell 180 servos out of the box, but I don't want to have to pay for one + shipping if I don't need to! NOW my psp joystick, is fully functional! I'm going to add something to "clean" it up so it's no jerky and I'll add a bit of lag, so it's much more of a PAN than a SNAP left and right haha.

Anyvay... figured I'd update as this is pretty important to the function of this joystick.

Here's the only picture I took during the whole progress!

I think that's left and right both with 2x 4k resistors in parallel (making a 2k resistor, my 2k box is empty)

RC Champion
    Look what came in today!

Buzzer for the LED programming! Something stupid, but ... unique! Hahah

RC Champion
    I also just got this working! At first it wasn't, freaked me out... very twitchy - turns out a lead from the switch had come apart, put some new pins in, heat shrunk that stuff, and now it's solid!

Very excite:

RC Qualifier
    AMAZING, you should work for Traxxas or the film industry (if u don't already) they could use your killer skills.

RC Qualifier
    Woot, lol nice video, and that remote's pro! looks even better put together

RC Champion
    Hah thanks guys! I've been reading up on FPV for the past few days, so the remote is still beside me in pieces. I'm looking in to using a BOOSTER to increase the 2.4ghz range, but my issues:

I have TWO remotes, would I need two boosters?
    I don't have correct mounting positions on the boards to hook a booster to.
    The TQi board doesn't even HAVE an antenna to mount a booster to.

Seems like such a waste of time and money making this thing if I'm going to have to switch to another manufacturer after all.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that sounds like too much work for the small reward of fpv, it's overrated lol

it'd be awesome but not if it's going to break the bank and your behind in the process, so is the remote ready to go now?? You have to get some videos up mannnn

RC Champion
    Videos of what though!? I mean, I built this so I could put a pan & tilt on the car, so I guess I could finish fabbing up the pan and tilt thing, but I don't have the necessary hardware - locking nuts, bolts, washers etc.. I have a parts bin with about 30 years worth of bits and pieces but finding matches is like "INSANE LEVEL" Lego styles! Haha

Right now the remote is in half beside me, the body is "over there" the car is in pieces too.. uh yi yi!

RC Qualifier
    hahahah! I see, I'm just anxious to watch a video of your summit running a camera on the pan/tilt unit

RC Champion
    Wow I just came across this, and read through it - nostalgic! It was only three months ago though hahah. I've probably put abour 2 hours use on this remote since building it, I've been so focussed on the FPV side of things!

In case anyone ends up reading this one day and wondering what happened, the thread is located: Here.

Almost ready to go as per July 31! Very exciting stuff..