RC Champion

what turn motor do i have?

im looking at some race rules for some of the tracks out here in phoenix and i see stuff like 13.5 motor limit. i have a velineon motor so what does that make it?

RC Competitor
    The velineon is a 10 turn your good to go for the track.

RC Champion
    thx. so what would be a 13.5 turn? i might go 13.5 if its better later on down the road.

RC Qualifier
    I think the lower the turn the faster the motor ,

you're comparing sensorless to sensored. Th VXL is 3500kv and the 13.5t is 3300 to 3800kv depending on manufacture that before adding timing,turbo or timing boost.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

My 17.5 turn BL motor is much slower than my vxl.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by puresummit View Post
    The velineon is a 10 turn your good to go for the track.
    Not if it's a 13.5 class. The lower the turn, the hotter the motor.

I've never really understood the numbering on brushless motors. I mean, I understand what they mean, but they don't really seem to be equivalent to the same sized brushed motor. My 19.5 brushed motors all run way faster than any 17.5 brushless I've tried. Some 19's even edge out 13.5's.

RC Qualifier
    Well your track should specify wether it should be brushed or brushless at least my track does that. Like harry said and i agree with him, turn and KVs such a BS because every manufacturer has its own calculations. I mean i had two brushed motors 9t and 12t titan, guess what, if you google it should tell you, the lower the turn the faster it is. Well 12t fast almost twice faster then 9t, and dont give me wrong 9t was in perfect condition. Although Velineon is 10t motor, ive seen 12t brushless smoke me on a speed run.

You really cannot compare sensorless to sensored or to brushed. It make more sense to compare wattage. The Velineon is 3500kv and equivalent to a 10t(im guessing in amps and wattage). But you need to remember the VXl doesn't have the ability to adjust timing. Hook up a velineon to a Tekin RS pro and max out that timing and you be amazed how powerful that motor actually is. As for 13.5turn most tracks run in blinky mode locking out timing boost and turbo. I have seen timing boost turbo 13.5t out run mod brushless. What really affects kv rating is the windings and rotor size. Sensorless use larger rotors so they more torque base while sensored is rpm. And as for brush. Lower the turn the higher the rpms until you get into super low turn motors like 8-9turn...they are used for TC and super tight tracks b/c they actually produce lower rpms but insane spool up. 10-12t doubles have the highest rpms you can get for brushed. as for the Titan it's a 550turn closed endbell motor..great torque but low wattage so not a real powerhouse.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    thx for the input. so what would be a cooler running but just as fast if not faster brushless motor than my velineon? also has to be track legal.