RC Champion

battery for racing?

getting a new lipo but what does everyone run when they race? ex. 4000mah? 5000? 3000? weight difference between these are little but does it make a difference? im sure a 7600mah or higher is to heavy for racing.

RC Champion
    I think to get the best answer you will want to specify outdoor or indoor racing intentions as the needs are a little different from what I have been seeing suggested. Also might specify which motor and ESC you are running for additional help......

I see many racers happy with SPC batteries, I have a few of those and Traxxas batteries, Spec Point Concepts offers great help on batteries and the SPC batteries!
    Last edited by kwitty; 04-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I don't race, but I do believe that a lot of tracks have restrictions on battery size and type, so I would start by asking about the rules where you are going to be racing at. Other than that, probably the smallest, lightest pack that will provide enough run time for a full race. The 7600 mah battery would provide close to an hour of run time and be fairly heavy when you probably only need 10-15 minutes of run time for a typical race.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The way I decided was I would run a main,then go charge my pack, see how much energy that took, then buy a battery based on how much energy I typically use.

I use a 17.5 turn motor for racing, so I run lil 3000 mah packs.

Mains around here are typically 10 minutes, and I get about 18 minutes out of a 3000.

But for bashing, I like to squeeze as much watt-hours as I can in.... but I use a great big 4 pole motor for bashing....

Race vs bash packs... lately I've been putting two of those bash packs in to run 6s.... so the difference between bash and race setups is huge.
    Last edited by ducati777; 04-13-2012 at 12:55 PM.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Wow, I am pulling 2700+mah out of my 5400's in a 5 min race. Guess the castle 4600 4 pole is hungry, and the spc's are its high flow buffet 8)

Spc used to sell 2800 mah lipos in a stick shape. I contacted spc to see if they had any lying around as I was thinking of building a truck for the 17.5 class. Tom told me that 5000ish size packs were the best for power to weight in their testing.

You could run a super high c pack with less mah, but at 3-4 times the price is it worth it? I guess if you have the cash. If on a budget, you can get the same power for much less, and only gain a little weight. If you are gonna drop to a smaller lighter pack, is it worth the loss in punch?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    You could run a super high c pack with less mah, but at 3-4 times the price is it worth it?
    Not sure I'm with you on the price thing... mine are 40C, and sure you can buy packs that claim higher C, but the cells all come from the same place, so you're just paying for marketing at that point... Anyway my packs list for $15.99 as of today...

Point being, if you're willing to give up the brand name sticker, you can get packs on the cheap now. You're not going to win or lose a race over the brand name of your battery.

If you are gonna drop to a smaller lighter pack, is it worth the loss in punch?
    I don't think you're losing out on punch either... To me the tradeoff is weight, and when jumping, more weight is good. My race truck weighs very little, which makes it harder to control in the air. I've considered adding weight just to combat this...

But since my weight isn't in the battery, I have the option of putting some lead tape on the bottom of the chasis, allowing me to shift the COG lower than whats possible with a larger pack.

Those were not my points, but Jakey's when he contacted me back. I see a big difference in the punch of my $50 50c 5400 compared to my buds $25 40c 4000 sky lipos. It shows in faster lap times even know the skys are 2oz lighter. The weight savings dont equal performance increase because good batts are so much better for racing than average packs. The clock doesn't lie. All the cells may come from the same part of the world, but there is a difference in the quality between cells, and the honesty in the ratings from battery sellers. I will stick with my better packs for racing. I say better, because after trading packs with 2 other racers (sky 4000 40c, gens 4000 40c, and *******5000 40c)for a couple of heats, the 5400 I use performed better in whatever truck they were in. The lighter weight of the pack does not make up for the difference in punch. Its that simple. I dont want an argument, just in my situation, thats what my results show. Maybe in your situation duccatti, the lighter packs benefit you more. I am not in your pit, so Idk.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Not sure I'm with you on the price thing... mine are 40C, and sure you can buy packs that claim higher C, but the cells all come from the same place, so you're just paying for marketing at that point...
    First of all the cells do not all come from the same place and even if they did so what? That certainly does not mean they are all the same!!! If so does that mean a small 4-cylinder Chevrolet motor is the same as the Cadillac CTSV motor, or the Traxxas mini Revo is exactly the same as the new, soon-to-be-released funny car? No, different specifications can and many times do result in completely differing end product performances.

My track requires hard pack lipo's so consider that before you buy. I'd hate for you to buy a top of the line soft pack lipo and not be able to use it.

I just ordered these (yesssss): SPC Li-Po Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo), Hard Case Battery Pack; 5400mAh , 50C, 2S, 7 .4V(Traxxas Connector) (x2): USD 49.95
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    well the ******* ******** i think is a hard pack. thats what im thinking about picking up. i have a 2wd slash with vxl/velinion setup. 32p gears(56 spur, 13pinion. probably going to a 14 or 16 pinion). i run everywhere. except mud and water and very little grass. i guess ill go with the 4000mah to save a little weight. how much run time will i get with the 2s 40-80c 4000mah ********?

O.G. You are gonna love that pack

Randy, I thought you wanted a pack for racing? If your just bashing, then the power increase of the stronger packs will be less noticeable. A 5000 mah 25c will handle all but the most hungry 1/10 motors, and the slight weight savings will prob do you no good in a parachuting slash. Remember that you have to add the cost of the conector($3) and soldering($5 at the lhs if you dont have a soldering iron) to the price of that pack...

RC Champion
    yes i wanted a pack for racing. i want a pack for both pretty much. the pack im thinkin of getting already has the traxxas connecters. and i have a bunch of holes drilled into my body to reduce parachuting.

I wish my lhs offered soldering.

According to the SPC website, their 5000mah 25c 2s Lipo weighs 295g. While the 8200mah 30c weighs in at 400g. Both are 2s Lipo hardcase.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    My track requires hard pack lipo's so consider that before you buy. I'd hate for you to buy a top of the line soft pack lipo and not be able to use it.

I just ordered these (yesssss): SPC Li-Po Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo), Hard Case Battery Pack; 5400mAh , 50C, 2S, 7 .4V(Traxxas Connector) (x2): USD 49.95
    What's the difference if u get 25 c instead ? What's the c means ? The higher the c "........? What?
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

For racing (especially in 17.5 class), I would get the biggest mah and C numbers possible. In a 2wd 1/10th vehicle, the larger packs shine way more with a 17.5 than they will with say a 7.5 motor.

My 17.5 is much slower than my vxl setup on the same battery so i guess a bigger C rating would make it faster and worth the money if you were racing.

Those were not my points, but Jakey's when he contacted me back. I see a big difference in the punch of my $50 50c 5400 compared to my buds $25 40c 4000 sky lipos. It shows in faster lap times even know the skys are 2oz lighter. The weight savings dont equal performance increase because good batts are so much better for racing than average packs. The clock doesn't lie. All the cells may come from the same part of the world, but there is a difference in the quality between cells, and the honesty in the ratings from battery sellers. I will stick with my better packs for racing. I say better, because after trading packs with 2 other racers (sky 4000 40c, gens 4000 40c, and *******5000 40c)for a couple of heats, the 5400 I use performed better in whatever truck they were in. The lighter weight of the pack does not make up for the difference in punch. Its that simple. I dont want an argument, just in my situation, thats what my results show. Maybe in your situation duccatti, the lighter packs benefit you more. I am not in your pit, so Idk.
    rag. You cannot compare a battery that is 40c 4000mah to a 50c 5400 mah. The 50c is a overall more powerful battery . And BC most 2wd vehicles the battery.is dead center the weigh difference between those 2 packs will not be noticeable ...compare to the power output. IMO that is a unfair comparison.

To the OP. Battery weigh is very minimal in off-road vehicle like a slash especially if your just starting racing. Crating only really plays a huge role in a 17.5 or 13.5blinky class. Unless your racing regional battery c rating nor weigh should be a primary tuning option. I cannot tell the difference between a 20c or 40c with my Tekin setup with a 8.5
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I no longer race in national events yet I am certain the weight difference between battery packs with significant dissimilar capacities will be noticeable when jumping, stopping, cornering and accelerating. Remember F=MA.
    If a person cannot tell the difference between packs of significant specifications, well maybe there isn't any real difference between the packs or the track conditions will not allow the difference to be utilized.

Exactly. If doesn't matter what pack you go with if you cannot ulitize the difference. But the weight difference of batteries within the same specs(2s) isn't going to make a noticeable difference compare to it's power output...especially in off-road. Now in on road cars it will BC of the constant traction and quick steering changes in and out of a turn. Now if you're going from nimh to.lipos that weight difference is going to be noticeable

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It is all relative, but I feel any weight difference is just as noticeable in off-road racing as it is on-road, if not more so. The vehicle must still accelerate in all directions and the traction, or lack of it for off-road, makes any weight differences even more critical.

I understand weight does play a role. But a noticeable amount when comparing a 25c 4000 to a 65c 5300 both 2s? The weight between the 2 is 40grams...but the 65c is overall more powerful.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Last edited by Jakey; 05-01-2012 at 04:22 PM.