RC poster

Scored a Revo...

I scored a pretty sweet Revo. Ever since i saw a video of one of these i really wanted one. Last nitro i had was a tc3. I hated to see it go but it was too fast and there was nowhere to drive. I figured a Revo would be a Better choice. So here's what i got. Really not sure which model it is but the guy i got it from gave me three engines a 2.5, 3.3, and it currently has an os .18tm installed in it. Also got two radios a dozen servos, two Gallons of gas, three sets of tires, two quick chargers, and from what i can tell a ton of upgrades from a arms to exhaust. Also got a three teir tackle box with a ton of parts and tools.
    Well thats the good part. Bad part is its not running too well. I did get it started but it seems to be running a little rich? Engine seemed sluggish was a bit slow from standing and also didnt have the top end either. It was running ok butt the more it ran the worse it started running. Was thinking this engine should be a beast. Im familiar with nitro's and tuning. I thought i had set up pretty good made some minor adjustments to get it rolling but now not so much. Any help would be appreciated!

RC poster
    Are you up late or getting up early. Didnt think anyone would be repling to messages at that time. Thanks for the reply! Im going to give that a try here in a few. Bad gas huh. I didnt think of that the fuel could be years old. Dont think the guy i got it from knew what he was doing. He said he got it couldnt get it running correctly had it in the hobby shop for a few months and gave up. I will get this beast running!!! Ill try to get some pics up also. I know everyone likes pics.

RC poster
    Well good news!! I brought it down to the local hobby shop. Picked up some new gas, a glow plug, and a battery. Guy from the shop helped me tune it up a little and had it driving! This thing is pretty badass! Anyway not a big fan of the ez start. Going to put on a pull start. Im already having problems with the wand not igniting the plug. I feel like u have a better feel for the engine with the pull start.

RC Racer
    congrats...+1 on the pullstart
    "My Ideas always work sometimes"

RC poster
    Thanks. Yeah i felt like i could of been driving it multiple times today but ran into issues with the wand and getting connection to the plug. Def would of been running if it would of had a pull start & 1.5v hobby battery starter. Anyway just excited to get back into rc cars again. Tc3 i had was fun but u needed a huge flat area to drive it. With the revo u can jus pull over drop it down n go. I found a beach volleyball court today and ran it there. Almost forgot how much fun it was.

Lookat all these parts!!!

RC Qualifier
    the pullstart is a good idea.... but i have found with the os21tm that the ezstart system works well for CRANKING the motor... i feel ya pain on the glow plug inition issues your having. i ditched the glow plug wire and to start it i just plug a 1.5v glow plug stick on and crank the motor with the ezstart. might get you out of trouble for now maybe? just a thought....

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by detoboy1 View Post
    the pullstart is a good idea.... but i have found with the os21tm that the ezstart system works well for CRANKING the motor... i feel ya pain on the glow plug inition issues your having. i ditched the glow plug wire and to start it i just plug a 1.5v glow plug stick on and crank the motor with the ezstart. might get you out of trouble for now maybe? just a thought....
    This is my exact thought for now. Hobby shop had to order the pull start and it wont be here till next week so for now i was gunna pick up the battery to get it running for now. Have you had any issues with the os.21tm at all. Anything i should look out for with th os.18?

Look like you have one of the first 3.3 revo. The OS engine is a great engine I have the .21tm and never had a problem with it. I would get a new receiver box (I don't think you will be able to find the cover for that box) you can find new box on ebay all the time and any of the boxes for a revo or slayer will fit I would also get a new traxxas air filter for it and new fuel line they look pretty old. don't see a manual but you can find one to download on the internet
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy View Post
    Look like you have one of the first 3.3 revo. The OS engine is a great engine I have the .21tm and never had a problem with it. I would get a new receiver box (I don't think you will be able to find the cover for that box) you can find new box on ebay all the time and any of the boxes for a revo or slayer will fit I would also get a new traxxas air filter for it and new fuel line they look pretty old. don't see a manual but you can find one to download on the internet
    I was def stoked when i saw the truck was coming with os.18 also came with the 3.3 n 2.5. I have the covers for everything just wasnt on for those pics. So u say i have the older version. The guy at the hobby shop said i have the newer extended one. Hmmmmm. Got me thinking now. I will post some better pics when i get off work. I would like to know for sure what i got.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchef View Post
    I was def stoked when i saw the truck was coming with os.18 also came with the 3.3 n 2.5. I have the covers for everything just wasnt on for those pics. So u say i have the older version. The guy at the hobby shop said i have the newer extended one. Hmmmmm. Got me thinking now. I will post some better pics when i get off work. I would like to know for sure what i got.

The revo first came out with a 2.5 engine and shorter chassis then traxxas upgraded the revo with a 3.3 engine and the extended chassis. This is a picture of the newer revo

You can see the difference with the shocks and the air filter.

RC poster
    nice find. keep us posted.

RC poster
    Here are a few more pics... Enjoy!!!

RC poster
    My first mod!!! The guy at the hobby shop said this would add 5 mph to my top end!!!
    I took this

And did this

Just in case u were wondering Thats not a factory body. Thats all custom!

RC Racer
    Glad you got it running. I was up late that night. I had 24hr CQ duty on base so I was up. Now that it's running you can bash the heck out of it.
    Revo 3.3, 2WD Slash, Rustler VXL, and MERV VXL.

That's the 2006 year 5309. Can tell by the air filter, shocks and the radio.
    Hope it was for a good price.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerRevo View Post
    Glad you got it running. I was up late that night. I had 24hr CQ duty on base so I was up. Now that it's running you can bash the heck out of it.
    Lol. I always get destoyed when i play online. Thats what im about to do. Can't wait till find some good spots here
    I did search and still couldnt find anything

RC Competitor
    Dont mean to hijack your thread Mattchef.... Im confused about the identification of the Revo.
    If the newer 3.3 Revo has a foam air filter and Mattchef's does not... why is it being identified at the 2006 3.3 model?
    Wouldnt it be the 2004/2005 (earlier Model) with the shorter chasis? Without knowing the length of the chasis, I suppose there is no way for sure to tell... given all the mods and 3 different engines provided in the deal.
    I too bought a used Revo and am interested in finding out what I have. I have the same air filter as Mattchef's. This being my first nitro, I dont know squat about the different engines...
    ArmyAnt

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    That's the 2006 year 5309. Can tell by the air filter, shocks and the radio.
    Hope it was for a good price.
    I took it off an craigslist trade. I always make sure i come out on top. Not so sure if the air filter is a good indication of what i got. It came with two others. I had one of the others on but didn't like the placement of where it was. I have the filter of a different one (just the orange colored one) i also have the link 2.4ghz controler and no reverse. Either way its all good. I'm happy with what i got was just curious of what i got.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyAnt View Post
    Dont mean to hijack your thread Mattchef.... Im confused about the identification of the Revo.
    If the newer 3.3 Revo has a foam air filter and Mattchef's does not... why is it being identified at the 2006 3.3 model?
    Wouldnt it be the 2004/2005 (earlier Model) with the shorter chasis? Without knowing the length of the chasis, I suppose there is no way for sure to tell... given all the mods and 3 different engines provided in the deal.
    I too bought a used Revo and am interested in finding out what I have. I have the same air filter as Mattchef's. This being my first nitro, I dont know squat about the different engines...
    All good. I'm still slightly confused also to which year mine is exactly. I'm sure mine is the longer version. Minus the air filter(of which i have the orange foam one also or at least the filter and no mount lol) would be nice to get a serial number on the chassis so there is less confusion. But i guess there are signs and the people who know, know what they are talking about. I'm fine with a 2006 5309 if thats what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchef View Post
    I took it off an craigslist trade. I always make sure i come out on top. Not so sure if the air filter is a good indication of what i got. It came with two others. I had one of the others on but didn't like the placement of where it was. I have the filter of a different one (just the orange colored one) i also have the link 2.4ghz controler and no reverse. Either way its all good. I'm happy with what i got was just curious of what i got.

Were not trying to put it down just letting you know what year revo you by the parts shown. If you look at the shocks their sliver aluminum the new revo comes with GTR Anodized Shocks

The Anodized Shocks are so mush better then the older silver shocks that no one would replace them with the older shocks
    The air filter you have on it is a stock filter from the 2006 revo the other one is an old motor saver air filter from the same era. The blue pipe you have in the parts (not the one you have on)is a stock pipe from the 2006 revo the newer revo has a polished silver one. The wheels are also from the 2006 revo it has 14mm hexs the new revo has 17mm hexs

I hope this helps I think you got a great revo their with the OS engine on it also you have RPM a arms which are great to have.

You can tell the difference in the 2.5 chassis and the 3.3 chassis if you look at the pictures

the 3.3 revo

the 2.5 revo

Where the front shocks mount and the clips behind the mount that hold the servo wires to the left steering servo and the throttle servo on the 2.5 revo the front shock mount is about where the clips are and the wires are clipped on the shock mounts.
    Last edited by fallonguy; 04-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.

RC poster
    @fallonguy. By no means am i taken any offence as you can see i'm Excited. The reason why i post so i can learn about what i got. Thanks for the information much appreciated!!

There is the 2.5 Revo which was the first. It had a 2.5 engine and the shorter chassis which is on the first edition Slayer.
    I identified this truck as the 2006 5309 due to the air filter not being the dual stage found in the subsequent releases starting with the 5308. In addition, the 5308 came out with the GTR shocks (as pictured above), 17mm Gemini wheels, a DC resonator, smaller electronics boxes (as found in the Slayer now), FOC tranny, 150cc fuel tank, and a single 2070 steering servo. Maybe a couple other things here and there.
    Taking a look at the pictures, the mods I see are RPM arms, OS engine & Trinity Pipe; otherwise the rest of the truck appears to be a stock 5309.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Thanks for letting ask questions, Mattchef, here on your thread....
    I think I need to post picture of mine... on another thread and hopefully get some great input like you have received here. I bought mine off the street so to speak... I was out messing with my Stampede and some guy approached me and asked if I was interested in buying some nitro stuff, said he was getting out of the hobby. Good luck with yours.
    ArmyAnt

One thing great with that truck is you can have so much fun with it and upgrade as needed you can find about anything you need on ebay.

RC poster
    Took it out for a little run today. Engine was running a little hot. I had 274 on it. So i decided i didnt want to do any damage to itand better off just putting it down for the day. Also couldnt get second gear to engage. When i looked in the little hole there i found no screw in it. So looks like im just gunna rip it down check everything out and make sure all is good befor making another attempt. I got it used so who really knows what this guy or the "hooby shop" as he said did to this thing. Im not going to start ten threads for ten different things. I will post all of my questions here with updates here. Ill post lots of pics!!!

Not shifting into 2nd will cause it to run hot. Did you get a manual with it if not you can find on on the internet and download it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy View Post
    Not shifting into 2nd will cause it to run hot. Did you get a manual with it if not you can find on on the internet and download it.
    That makes sense! So im in the middle of breaking it down now. I am going to add a pull start n trash the ez start so i took the easy start off cleaned the area up n found this

If you look closely to the right side just above the bottom screw on the inside i have a little leakage in that area. I was just planning on cleaning it up and getting ready for the pull start. Is there a gasket in there that needs to be replaced?

I think most of that leakage is coming from the bushing on the starter shaft.

RC poster
    they got me workin like crazy :/ i had to put in a 19 hr shift! And had to come in on my only day off if only for 30 min. So i broke evrything down took it all apart. I had some stripped Gears in the tranny. My two speed is still not working and i found the engine mounts are stripped out. I already got the gears done. Went to the hobby shop arrived at 5:01 n they closed at 5:00. I know they saw me. Whatever ill go back another day. I should be close to 100% after new enegine mounts and the two speed done. Ill try to get some pics up tom.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-30-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: language

RC Racer
    If it were me I would open up the engine and look for signs wear and seal her up , and open up the diff's and inspect them as well , check all bearing's and regrease , etlest the bearing's in your tranny and diff's , its all we's a good idea to go through everything on the truck when buying used , looking good so far you got her cleaned up nice ,looking forword to some more pic's

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    If it were me I would open up the engine and look for signs wear and seal her up , and open up the diff's and inspect them as well , check all bearing's and regrease , etlest the bearing's in your tranny and diff's , its all we's a good idea to go through everything on the truck when buying used , looking good so far you got her cleaned up nice ,looking forword to some more pic's
    I didn't open the engine all the way, i took off the head and everything looked pretty good. Compression seems real good. I didnt feel like i had to do more. Maybe next time. I still have to put new motor mounts in. Anyways pics as promised!

I put too many and made me take one off. Lol.

RC Competitor
    Did all revos come with 2 steering servos? I just bought one that looks exactly like mattchef's (minus the RPM parts), But I only have 1 steering servo? I can see that there is an option for a second one though.

If I threw in a newer receiver, would it have any problems communicating with the servos? I have a tmaxx and a slash now and would like them all on the same transmitter.

sorry for the hijack lol

The revo first came out with 2 steering servos then dropped to one servo then went back to 2 servo the new receivers have 2 steering servo slots

RC poster
    No problem. Since we are talking receivers, the distance that the truck starts to lose connectivity between controller and receiver is terrible. I checked all wires, bought new battery for receiver, changed controller batteries and still a no go. Jus something else stopping me from running it. Since i got the truck i have done-
    Changed slipper clutch
    Dropped in new gears in the tranny
    Changing the engine mount due to some stripped out holes
    Found stripped out holes everywhere
    Removed the easy start
    Added a pull start
    N now not getting any distance from receiver to controller.

I just want to run the truck!!!