RC Racer

Ran today with no body

With my first pack of ****"s during my run today with the high speed gearing i stayed above 80mph but after about 5 mins the car overheated so for the next run for the first time i decided to take the body off and make some speed runs and it ran so much cooler although both runs were limited to 10minutes before my batts died i find that wierd as well because i run 35-40c 5k packs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    5ah batteries don't last long on this car... it really sucks the juice down.

As far as running cooler with the body off... sounds risky to me, I'll be leaving mine on.

However... I did cut out some of the body in the rear, I cut out the "exhaust" decal. I think that location should be experiencing low air pressure, not only from the recently expanded air exiting the difuser, but also being on the backside of the body.

I figure that should draw air out from inside the body.... and should help with cooling...

And I have no real proof to say this works, other than my car runs pretty well.

RC Racer
    so D with the high speed gearing can u go a full pack without overheating?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yup. I only overheat if I run small venues, but if I keep the speed up, I typically stay below 150. If I'm stuck at a small venue, being very smooth on the throttle can keep the heat down as well.

Actual top speed runs usually cool the motor down.

My body is looking pretty ragged now, there was another member that cut out that whole decal, I only did a small section in the middle... but I'm starting to think more venting is good, and I'll probably cut out the rest of the decal soon.

Doh works calls... I'll be back to ramble about airflow...

edit (done later)....

Anyway I wanted to say the plate above the difuser is a curious piece... because its really formed as if they expected air to flow over the top of the difuser. To me that implys they maybe experimented with cutting out the back of the body themselves.

Or it could just be coincidense. Perhaps the guy who drew the top plate just wanted it to follow the lines of the piece below it and I'm reading way too much into this.
    Last edited by ducati777; 04-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hi ducati, can you post a pic/ link, how you cut the body?

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was just trying to find one... I typically take a lot of pictures, but don't have a good one of my cutout.

Best I can come up with....

RC Competitor
    i also cut out some of the back of my body, i didnt cut at the center though, looking at Ducati's pic .. the part i cut out is the lowest section of what looks like "vent holes" in the decal... i cut the very lowest or closest to the ground, just up only that first section to the white seperation lines , but only the left and right section of what i call the "license plate" area (where Ducati cut) i left that section in

on my clear body i have i am thinking of just doing drill holes about the size of the decals "vent" looking holes in that area, then if it seems to be running hot i can drill more holes, and see if i gain any noticeable help in cooling

i made a ducted tube from the small "vent" indentation just behind the side window on the drivers side (where that little triangle black sticker goes.. and it drops right on top of the ESC fan, i only used it once since my first attempt at connecting it to the body to keep it in position didnt last very long after a couple flips... working on a much nicer bracket to hold it in place for my next body i use for bashing

when i get it to my liking, i'll post a pic...

oh... by the way, i guess i needed to say ... i cut out the area where the black decal goes on that little "vent" by the side windows on the drivers side so the air would go into my duct ...

just to clarify
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-12-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Thanks ducati! The cutout looks like not being in the center? More on the right side, correct? I am trying to read your posts again to understand, why you did that.

You wrote before, you cut it out in the center- may be it is the pic, optical illusion...

or it is not and because this is the side of the engine/ duct??
    Last edited by lcaa; 04-13-2012 at 04:00 AM.

RC Racer
    Dont cut out the whole rear decal .The rear sides of the body will end up folding into the tire's

Tried it didnt like it and ruined two new rear tires in the process.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcaa View Post
    Thanks ducati! The cutout looks like not being in the center? More on the right side, correct? I am trying to read your posts again to understand, why you did that.
    Hope its the pic! I tried my best to stay right on the lines of that center section of the decal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azz View Post
    Dont cut out the whole rear decal .The rear sides of the body will end up folding into the tire's

Tried it didnt like it and ruined two new rear tires in the process.
    Now this is an interesting comment. I certainly have the back corners of my body folding in, but so does my buddy (uncut), and I'm pretty sure others have it too. Yall got me thinking that I want to look at more pictures of XO's... I'm betting any body with significant mileage on it will show scars of those corners tucking in.

I've trimmed the back corners shorter to prevent them from tucking in. I've been considering adding a piece of lexan to the top of the difuser that would support those rear corners...

RC Racer
    I started by simply using gorilla tape to make it more sturdy if you will. seemed to help. But i wont do the cut out i would rather use a reamer and cut circles,not a whole chunk of the body. On my pink body i am only going to ream out the four exhaust ports and see how that works. i also reinforced the whole body with gorilla tape.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think you're on the right track with making multiple holes. That should preserve what rigidity the body has.

RC Qualifier
    Putting camera hole about the size of a dime in the middle of exhaust decal so I guess it will double as a vent hole. I gorilla taped 80% of my body and hadn't noticed any marks from my rear fenders folding in yet, but I've only done the 2 runs that I posted. Maybe not enough mileage yet. You could also G tape some old body lexan strips into those corners for more support.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by judgegixxer; 04-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash