RC Champion

Smile Prototype: Pan & Tilt - Traxxas 27mhz TQ

So I'm running low on mod ideas for my Summit so I've decided I'm going to try to make my own pan and tilt control on the Traxxas remote!

Basic idea is, combine another radio to my existing 2.4ghz one (I have a TQ, TQi, and a Spektrum one) and have it talk to another receiver on the car that controls a pan and tilt "turret."

I'm currently rendering out a video that I'll post here, showing how the thing will function but what's more important right now is how to communicate with it.

I was given a toy helicopter as a gift recently - one of those $50 ir ones - and the controller has one of those joysticks that moves up and down on it and I got to thinking, "This sure would rock as a camera control!"
    I went out to my LHS and found one there, I gave him $10 (the joystick unit would be at least $10-15 online) and well here's some pics:

The joystick:

Opened up:

Fortunately it uses 5k pots - as appears standard in the RC world:

After cutting it off the board - my desk being taken over by too many projects:

Here it is hooked up with some 4k resistors to increase the physical range of motion:

Here's a video showing me using the joystick, controlling the Traxxas remote, talking to the 27mhz radio, and moving the two servos. One is plugged in to steering, the other is throttle.

I'm hopefully going to find myself a good priced - used - 2.4ghz Traxxas remote once I get this all built up.

RC Champion

Well I just got back from my LHS, and lucky for me for $50 he had a used 2.4ghz TQ remote! I picked up some spur gears from red cat, to allow my servo to turn 180 vs just 90

Picked up some "cellfoam 88" stuff to make prototype arms etc with... pretty stoked!

RC Champion
    Here's a quick proof of concept I put together in Maya - this helped me figure out how I'm going to build it. You can see how the gearing helps the PAN go from the standard 45 left and right, to 90 left and right - I could have got a bigger gear or a smaller pan gear, but this is all for prototyping anyway. Who's excited!? This guy!

RC Champion
    Great, so the tx I bought has a bad antenna. It's crimped/cut so it's range is about 5 feet. What a joke.

RC Champion
    Fixed:

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The antenna on the Tx is replaceable for about $6.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Yeah but I'd have to wait till Monday for it to be ordered, and until then I wouldn't know when I'd get it. So for another $50, I got my 4ch HIGH OUTPUT (most important to me) radio system instead. Much happier now, AND it's the "old" style TQ so there's much more room inside! I'm thinking of swapping out TQi to the mini Revo now, and using this new one as my Summit project remote. My Spektrum is way too finicky on the Revo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes... not much room for alterations inside the TQi.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    So I bought some construction foam, and was hoping it would be strong enough, but before I got past cutting out the first piece I remembered I had plexiglass!

So I've cut out the first couple pieces, and with the limited hardware I have around the house, have built the gearing! I need to get to a hardware store tomorrow to get some nylon threaded bolts and proper sized washers etc, but here it is!

The video showing it in action:

Once I get all the proper hardware to build this rig, I'll get back to changing over the new radio to use the joystick to control both the pan and tilt. (keeping on topic with Traxxas Radios)

I'll eventually mount the joystick to the base of the radio, in hopes of looking something like this:

Howwwweevvveeerr, I just remembered that I have an old Logitech Gamepad (looks like a playstation controller) and I can and actually, will take a joystick from there instead, as they are lower profile AND feel nice! So long as it plays nice with the TQ remote wiring.