Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Sorry guys, I have been off the forum for a while now. I have been overloaded with making parts for people and haven't had time to mess with my own stuff in a while. Sorry again for the long delay. I'm on a mission now to get this one wrapped up, WHY? So I can start the next one of course, LOL.

Thank you all for the comments. I love it when others are enjoying the build as well as me.

I have always wanted a purple trans for this, but they are very hard to find. A week ago I found one. It wasn't HCR, but I couldn't resist it and bought it.

The very next day I found this.

Never fails I guess, but at least I have what I wanted and can now continue the build.

PS. to those that were liking the part wall in the previous post, it was nothing compared to now

RC Racer
    Building the trans now. OTB and HCR gears.

TI spur gear with one of my adjuster nuts and sprongs.

Stainless Cup or black?

I don't have the breaks setup, but this is how it will look.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi BlazerSS Checking in on the build, thanks for the updates. Gotta be the best build I have ever seen. Looks better with the stainless cup. Still green with purple envy. Definately better than show quality, should take lots of trophies if you show it!

RC Qualifier
    this is a awesome build keep us updated
    men drive nitro

RC Qualifier
    Stainless cups for sure!

RC Racer
    Thanks for the comments guys. Everyone seems to agree on stainless.

So here are the brake options.
    I have TI disk in purple, green and natural TI
    Then I have pads-calipers in the same colors.

I don't want there to be too much purple and was thinking maybe the green would look cool in a few places? I have a few more green parts I could throw on to help break up the purple and silver a little? Not sure what to do

My vote is the natural disc with the green pads.

Nobody does/did purple like HCR! The racers edge case looks good to.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Yea the HCR purple is the best IMO. The racers edge was nice though, I didn't even know that they made a case until I got this one. It has already found a new home though since I won't be using it.

I missed a sweet case on ebay not to long ago, $10.99 & nobody bid on it, & I completely forgot it was ending & was 25 miles from the nearest computer when it ended.

I'm still kicking myself for not dropping the minimum bid on it.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Decided that the brakes will most likely be a combination of purple and silver, but still not sure which will be which. Finally got all the parts in for the brakes, I think. Now I have to get on deanodizing and polishing. Also, I didn't like the little piece that presses against the brake pad, so I made some out of aluminum to go with the color scheme better. Will also be switching out the black screws that the pads ride on for TI screws.

RC Competitor
    You should of split this up and started out building it on YouTube ^^. Would of been a fun watch hehe.
    T-Maxx 3.3 #4909 Restored.

RC Racer
    That is a good idea, sort of like a slide show to show how it comes together? I have seen real car builds done like that and I really enjoy those. Thanks for the idea, I might get with my brother and get him to put a video together for me once I get it completed.

RC Racer
    dude i couldn't be more jealous
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Racer
    That Maxx is SEXXXYYYY
    AIRTIME Woooooo (10 mins later) Down time dang

RC Racer
    Thanks for the comments guys. I hope to have some more updates soon.

RC Racer
    Well it has been a while, but I never claimed to be fast. This thing is finally getting close.

RC Racer
    OMG!!!!can i be you for a day???please!
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Qualifier
    I see purple hub carriers. I knew you could do it!
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Racer
    Dudelittle, yes you can be me for a day, I will check and see which day of the month most of my bills are due and we can switch on that day. HAHA

Nitrotrout, I did finally get purple carriers. I have called a few hobby shops in CA in search of parts. I found one that had a good bit, and I probably called them on 4 separate occasions asking for parts. I bought a good bit from them over the phone and all was well. Then my buddy (met him through this hobby) that lives in CA decided to take a little road trip and hit a new hobby shop/track. Turns out it was the one I had been calling, he sends me a text message and says I found purple carriers, I responded and said buy them, HAHA. Then I found out later on that it was the same place. Don't know why they couldn't tell me they had them when I was calling, but I got them and I'm happy.

Now every part on the truck is the color I wanted I believe. I had debated about a purple head on the motor, but I think the all silver motor sets off all the purple on the chassis. I just need to figure out a tank (they are all hitting my Kmaxx slipper setup, so I might have to go back to a stock slipper setup) and then install the servos and linkages, and finish up the brakes.

RC Qualifier
    Kinda weird the LHS couldn't help you over the phone but persistence pays off. Looks good.

That's a bummer about your spur gear. Are using one of these fuel tanks?

I used one of these fuel tanks on my show truck and
    I remember it was a real tight fit between the tank and spur gear nut and spring.
    Last edited by NitroTrout; 09-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.

RC Racer
    Thats the tank I like best, but I don't have one. I have an rd logics tank. It is thinner over at the side where the spur gear is and it still hits so I know that one would be worse. I've already drilled out the glass eye hole in the rd tank and made a plug that will be tig welded in, I'm thinking about modifying the side with the spur gear and having that tig welded as well. Then I will just have to sand it down and polish it up so you cant tell it was welded on. A lot of work for just a tank. Trying to come up with other options.

RC Competitor
    lookin a sweety tasty smexy build. I wouldn't even use it just leave it for a shelf queen lol
    T-Maxx 3.3 #4909 Restored.

RC Racer
    Servos are in. Decided to keep them with the time that these parts and truck were "In" so I just went with old Hitecs, they seem to be what a lot of folks went with back when these were being built. Tried to hide the wires as much as possible. Just need to finish the brakes now

I think I have decided on what tires to go with

RC poster
    love the wheels and tires

RC Qualifier
    Awesome buddy. Do you have a body picked out for it?

RC Racer
    dude that tmaxx is awsome!!!! hey can you tell us how much $ you spent? i had a revo that i built from the ground up and i spent 10.000 on old hard core parts. thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rc addict. View Post
    i had a revo that i built from the ground up and i spent 10.000 on old hard core parts. thanks
    You meant one thousand right, not ten thousand?

RC Qualifier
    Priceless build.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Racer
    Id like to see an official weight on this when finished
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Racer
    Thanks for the comments. I haven't picked a body really I have just been sitting a clear F250 body on it during the build to keep dust off of it. Not sure what I will do for a body though, figure that would be very last.

As far as what I have spent. I could possibly figure it out as I do write down all of my purchases and sells. It would take forever though. I have had to buy numerous trucks to get the parts I needed, but then I would take what I wanted and sell the rest. I bought a full RTR tmaxx to get the chassis, a full RTR emaxx to get the diffs, 2 full tmaxx's to get the TI screw kit, a full rtr tmaxx to get the new 2.5 motor, and the list goes on. At one time I think I had added it up to be like 7 trucks I had bought to rob parts from. Of course I sell what I don't need and tend to make a profit on the whole deal. I found this to be the cheaper way to get parts honestly.

The weight with tires and servos is at 10lb 10oz. Still need brakes and fuel tank.

RC Racer
    10.10 thats pretty good considering the only thing not aluminum is the tires
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dudelittle View Post
    10.10 thats pretty good considering the only thing not aluminum is the tires
    Not bad at all. My all aluminum 4910 weighs 11.6 lbs. Its not a truck, it's a pig.

RC Racer
    As you all know the brakes have been an issue for me. I can't decide on what color combo and then how to get it together. I think I'm finally on the right track now though. I think that I have decided on a silver disk and silver pads. With the purple trans case, it just needs silver on it. More purple is over the top I think and I want it to be a nice balance. So I decided, then comes figuring out how to get it all together. The traxxas brake hex is set to be used with a set screw that has the shaft on it that goes all the way through the brake hex. This obviously won't work with a UE cup. I could have drilled out the Traxxas hex and then tapped it for the UE set screws, but there had to be a better way. Next option was a CNR, but that is for a double disk brake setup and I'm wanting a single. I could still use it, but the CNR hex is bigger and it wouldn't look right with a single disk on it IMO. So what to do?? Make my own, of course.

This shows the traxxas brake parts on the left and then what I'm using on the right and the CNR hex in the center

Comparison of the size of the Traxxas hex and CNR

Now my hex on the right

Installed on a UE 5mm cup

With a TI HCR disk

Now I just need to sand it down and polish it. Polish the green anodize off the HCR TI pads and then I'm ready to install the brakes

RC Racer
    Got the brakes finished up today. Finally decided on the silver disk and purple pads. All the silver right there together didn't go right. The TI purple pads don't match the trans, so they add that contrast with the silver, but don't go overboard with the purple.

Polished the brake hex nut a bit. I think all the silver parts fit the trans perfect.

RC Competitor
    Blazerss1 sweet build it looks awesome; are you planning on running this or is this build for the shelf?
    Summit, Slash 4x4 Platinum, Revo 3.3, T-MaxxPro-15

RC Racer
    Thanks Prostock12, this truck is just going to be for the shelf. Hoping to start my next runner soon though, I have been collecting parts for it for a while now.

Very impressive clean build. When HCR was current production I worked at a local shop and sold many of their parts. Wishing I had done this back then, would have been way easier than building one now.

RC Racer
    Thanks TireSlinger, This build would have gone a lot quicker if parts were available. This has been very difficult finding these parts after HCR quit producing rc parts years ago.

The gas tank for this thing has been a big debate between me and myself, Haha. I just couldn't decide on what to do, so I finally bit the bullet and went for it.

So I bought a Tmaxx chassis, motor, and tank off Ebay. Planned to keep the tank and sell the rest. Got the tank and it had a bolt through the glass eye that should have been there and was sealed with RTV. So I got that out, and drilled the hole and reamed it. Made a plug and was going to have it welded in, then sand it down and polish like new. Well the bottom of the hole got so thin that the welder was afraid it would distort the tank when he welded on it and basically he was scared he would mess it up (not sure how you mess something up that is already messed up, but I didn't bother him any more) So plans changed. Here is a little teaser to the new plan.

First step was to make it Kool and get rid of that ugly hinge style lid.

More progress to come...

RC Racer
    Here is a little more of the tank project.

RC Racer
    Well I wasn't happy with the tank so I found another one. Now all I need to for this truck to be RTR is fuel line of all things. Everything I have has a blue tint to it and that just won't cut it. I want crystal clear.