RC poster

Question Total n00b! Need suggestions/recommendations

Hey All,

Just new to this RC business. Bought a stampede vxl 4x4. I've so far only played with it twice and its awesome!
    I've bought a 10000mAh 2S LiPo battery (Dont ask why... even I dont know why i did ), a charger and a heatsink for the motor.

what else do you guys think i should get for my pedes longevity or any must have upgrades before i do any runs?
    Also, did I make the right choice with the battery or is it too much?

Thanks!

RC Racer
    Upgrade as you break things My first upgrade was RPM A-arms after hitting my garbage box at top speed, with just one front wheel. The stock tires kind of suck. My second upgrade (installed last night, but not run yet) are Proline Trencher tires. They are sticky and soft, with nice lugs.

That battery is 2s, so it won't make a crazy increase to performance. I can get 30-40 min on my 5800 2s, so you should be good for an hour of bashing, depending how hard you push it.

You should have an hour or more with that lipo! Just be sure to constantly check your motor to make sure it doesn't get too hot. I agree with Spill. Replace as you break. There are lots of upgrades available for your truck, so in that aspect the sky is the limit! The main thing is to enjoy your new truck
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

if you like to bash, do all of the upgrades that the platinium slash has over the regular one. once those parts are replaced, it's just a matter of upgrading in the direction in which you see the truck going. Alot of people like using the castle systems over the traxxas.
    (2) RC8TEs, RC8.2E, Slash 4x4, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Enthusiast
    You are going to need new tires after a month or so with that lipo your using. trenches mounted on deperados is the popular choice. also look at other member's pede builds for further upgrades.
    Stampede 4x4 MMP+2400 | RC8Be RX8+1900 | Savage XS

RC Enthusiast
    +1 on upgrading as things break and the Trenchers. They have more mass than stock...combined with my MIP CV axles, I had to tighten my slipper clutch. I have a 5000mah 2s @30C and get about 30-40 min out of it. A 10a should last a while. Recommend a fan for the esc and a heatsink/fan for the motor.

Invest in some decent hex tools to work with too. Simple allen wrenches are ok but I found them hard on the fingers. I have metric bits to use in a torque adjustable cordless drill. Makes disassembly very quick and easy. Many others use Integy or other manual tools available at their local hobby shop.

RC poster
    Thanks for the tips guys,

I wanted to know because i'm from australia and its hard to get things here. even if we do, its double the price of what i can buy online from US. So just wanted to know so that i could perhaps buy the parts before hand and by the time they get deliveed i've already broken something :P

RC poster
    Also, I want to take some videos from it. What camera do you guys use? I Saw a dice camera to mount on the car but it's sold out everywhere

RC Enthusiast
    Hey mate! Good to see a fellow aussie on here. I bought my p4de off of amainhobbies for just over 400 bucks as the shops in this country sell them for $500-$650. I also order all my parts from amainhobbies too. I didn't do the whole upgrade as you break thing because it takes a week for the new parts to arrive from the states and if my truck was broken I really didn't want to wait a week to be able to use it so I ordered nearly all the upgrades that amainhobbies had in stock. Heres my list.

GH racing aluminium steering block set, Gh racing aluminium rear hub set, ST racing aluminium front c hubs, st racing aluminium heatsink motor plate (works well as a heatsink), mip x duty cvds front and rear, st racing aluminium hex adaptors, rpm front and rear a arms, rpm front and rear shock towers, proline power stroke shocks front and rear, proline trenchers and desperado rims, traxxas motor heatsink, vxl esc fan and traxxas aluminium wheelie bar wheels . Thats pretty much everything besides the motor mount and aluminium slipper adaptor which always seems to be on backorder and my truck is pretty indestructible. All up this was expensive but id hate to think how much it would have cost at a store over here...if i could even find the parts. Not all these parts are necessary but I didn't want to risk anything breaking and ruining my weekend runs.

RC poster
    Hey Kalidae,

Thanks for the info! I probably would go for the RPM A Arms as everyone seem to break that pretty easily.
    Do I really need the ESC fan? Almost everyone over here seem to have it. As I'm new into RC I probably wont be bashing it.... Just a few runs , mild stunts and take videos through the truck thats all. Bashing comes later when I've learnt to control it.

The prices here in Australia are a shocker! Dont understand why its so much compared to US. Good that some US hobby stores post overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by igoforthebest View Post
    Hey Kalidae,

Thanks for the info! I probably would go for the RPM A Arms as everyone seem to break that pretty easily.
    Do I really need the ESC fan? Almost everyone over here seem to have it. As I'm new into RC I probably wont be bashing it.... Just a few runs , mild stunts and take videos through the truck thats all. Bashing comes later when I've learnt to control it.

The prices here in Australia are a shocker! Dont understand why its so much compared to US. Good that some US hobby stores post overseas.
    Just to let you know, my friend, if you're not racing, you're bashing. Just an rc term. I do think since you are so far away, maybe you should stock up on a few parts. You also want to get a temperature gauge for your motor. The VXL is an excellent motor but it doesn't like to get overheated. If your motor gets over 200 degrees the glue that holds the shaft on the magnet inside the motor will let go. So I recommend keeping a close eye on your temps. Lots of people run a heatsink with a fan to help keep the motor cool. I know it may seem a little overwhelming at first. The main thing is to go out and enjoy your truck

RC poster
    Hi El Sob,

I thought bashing meant 'bashing' see that proves i'm a total newbie lol.
    I've already purchased a heatsink for the motor. Will consider getting the temp gauge.
    Kalidae has suggested me this excellent site to get the parts from. I only knew of one online shop so far who i thought were the 'king' but this one is better. Time to spend some more money!!!
    Last edited by igoforthebest; 04-12-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: one reference got covered with **********

Everyone was new at one time. We are here to help you out! It's funny amain hobbies is about a two hour drive from me. I hardly ever shop there because I have to pay the taxes on the products from there. When I do buy from there I almost always get my parts next day. If no one else has told you, welcome to the Traxxas family

RC Competitor
    RPM arms/shock towers
    MIP CVD's Front/Rear
    Battery Extender (for 3S Lipo)
    Lower Body post (search jetlag2222) it will help lower the body to the chassis
    Traxxas Aluminum Bearing Carriers/Castor Blocks
    Traxxas Big Bore Shocks (Titanium)
    Proline Trenchers with Desperado wheels
    T R A X X A S

RC Enthusiast
    You don't really need the esc fan or at least I didn't. My esc never really got close to temps that would get me worried. But I bought it anyway. Hey its only like $15 and it does a great job, looks cool and makes my truck sound like a computer tower on wheels lol. Amainhobbies is great for everything traxxas then hobbying for everything battery related. I only got into this bobbie in December and after buying A nitro which seem to be extremely unreliable I bought my first electric about 2 months ago which is my stampede. Bash it hard mate and don't be scared. Stock as a rock and this thing is extremely strong. I only upgraded to all these parts a few days ago. before hand I was bashing it pretty hard, backflips, huge air ect. Only broke rear plastic driveshafts and bent the shock shafts and thats it. They are tough but the upgrades I listed should make it bulletproof.

RC poster
    Took my pede for a second run today.... One thing i noticed is that it swerves to the left, if i adjust the trim even slightly it swerves to the right. I havent been able to keep it straight.

The 10000mah lipo probably makes the pede more balanced with its weight so i didnt get any wheelies while going on full throttle.

I'll wait and see how the ESC performs over time and if it happens to heat up i'll go for the fan.

Another thing is that on grass the car flips if i try to take a sharp turn, it doesnt happen on my mates rustler. is it because of more height in this thing?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by igoforthebest View Post
    Took my pede for a second run today.... One thing i noticed is that it swerves to the left, if i adjust the trim even slightly it swerves to the right. I havent been able to keep it straight.

The 10000mah lipo probably makes the pede more balanced with its weight so i didnt get any wheelies while going on full throttle.

I'll wait and see how the ESC performs over time and if it happens to heat up i'll go for the fan.

Another thing is that on grass the car flips if i try to take a sharp turn, it doesnt happen on my mates rustler. is it because of more height in this thing?
    Yes, it has a Higher Center of Gravity(HCG). There are quite a few things you can do to help this. First and easiest is to not throttle through any sharp turns. Let off the throttle. Second easiest is to lower your suspension a little. Those are free. Then you can do things like buy a Sway Bar Kit, Pro-Line Pro Trac kit, LCG kit etc etc.