RC Competitor

Went from Nitro to Electric and bought a pede 4x4 vxl

I finally made the move to electric. I have had a rustler 2.5, tmaxx2.5, tmaxx 3.3, 3.3 revo. I bought a stampede 4x4 vxl with a Onyx 245 charger with two 4600mah 8.4volt duratrax nihm batteries. I am happy with the run time but not totally satisfied with the speed. I feel like im getting maybe around 35 mph (im assuming). I hear that 3s Lipo will just break parts left and right? What battery should i look at next that will get me longer runtime and faster speed maybe 45-50mph with a budget of 100 (a little more or less).

And one more question.. say that I have a 4600mah nihm battery. Would a 3s 4000mah lipo have less run time?

It aint fun if you aint breaking it!

RC Qualifier
    Well, since you have a charger that can handle Lipo you are set. First thing you want to do is read up on the care and feeding of Lipo batteries. They are NOT kids toys. Get a Lipo Bag. Get a temp gauge. Then get batteries:

SPC Li-Po Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo), Hard Case Battery Pack; 6000mAh, 30C, 2S, 7.4V

Those are what I have, they get me around 32 MPH (GPS verified) with the stock bashing gear. The run time is longer than you probably want to run without letting the motor cool off (that is until you get it properly geared for the battery and conditions) and recharge time at 2s is not bad (12 amps if your charger can handle it.) Just make sure that charger came with Traxxas connectors or you can get them.

RC Qualifier
    3s lipo can do this if you're not careful
    Still a blast though

RC Qualifier
    Woah Stry!!!!!! Not cool! D:
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRCMan View Post
    Woah Stry!!!!!! Not cool! D:
    LOL it was fun while it lasted that day

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykeviper View Post
    3s lipo can do this if you're not careful
    Still a blast though

That's odd. I put a 3s in my Stampede today and let it sit there for a good 18 hours. Not a single scratch on the truck. Are you sure a 3s did that?

lol

/end sarcasm

RC Racer
    If you want more speed for just going fast on a flat surface, then change to the included 17t pinion gear, and use a Lipo. Just don't leave it in for bashing.
    I run the 11t with 2s 5800mah 30c lipo, and its plenty of juice for me, but i haven't been running nitro for years either. I use it to do wheelies, jumps, and donuts, not speed runs though.

RC Competitor
    OK so another question... Why does traxxas show a chart saying 3s lipo for 60 mph if 3s lipos' usually break parts alot and then when you call traxxas they say not to use 3s lipo? I think I will go with what you have spillproof.

If you have been running rc for a long time, you won't have the problems some people have with a 3s Lipo. I have only run 3 and 4s in my Traxxas trucks. You have to get used to the added power and speed the 3s offers. People say you break a lot of parts. Well the drive axles will wear a lot faster if you do fill throttle take offs. That can be cured by Mip X-duty axles. I think a 3s lipo would make you happy. Just be sure to keep a close eye on your motor temps.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    for $120
    tekno rear cvds 35
    tekno alum hexes 20
    gens ace 3s lipo 30
    esc fan 20
    ezrun motor heatsink and fan 15
    9 tooth pinion 5
    3s isnt bad after you get cvds and alum hexes. just like anything else, the faster you crash the more parts your going to break.

I personally prefer Mip X-Duty axles. You don't have to worry about parts falling off your truck in the middle of a run. Everyone has their opinion. I have had a set of Mip X-Duty shafts for a year and broke my first axle last week. Called their customer service and they sent me a new part out immediately. I highly recommend them
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Competitor
    Yeah im use to RC trucks and can handle them at 70mph. So my motor temp... what is the average temp that i want to aim towards while using a 3s. Of course ill purchase a motor fan and already have the "temp display gadget" from my nitro cars. I also did alot of research and i think that MIP is the way to go for shafts considering i dont have a budget for my toys. What kind of Lipo do you recommend El Sob? What is your avg. run time too?

RC Qualifier
    Well, I am not Elsob, but, I will stick my two cents in... Spc, Gens Ace, Sky Lipo, and a couple of others are highly recommended. A quick search or a scan of started Lipo threads will help with that as well. The mAh rating on a battery will give you an idea of the run time. The higher the mAh rating the longer the run times. A 5000mAh will give some people 30-35 minutes. 6000mAah gives me about 40-45 minutes. Your mileage may vary.
    plz iz not a wurd

RC Racer
    My local hobby shop carries *******. I bought a hardcase 5800mah 30-60c 2s. I love it. Fits awesome in the tray. Good run time (LVD not working so I quit earlier then i have to, but still good)

RC Competitor
    I just bought the front and rear MIP Shafts! Im sick of the stock P.O.S. traxxas parts. Gonna order new tires and wheels and then get rid of that ugly (in my oppinion) Wheelie Bar < however you spell it... Do they make any after market rear bumpers for the stampede?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    check tbone racing they have nice bumpers, and wheelie bar too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by richardm0025 View Post
    I just bought the front and rear MIP Shafts! Im sick of the stock P.O.S. traxxas parts. Gonna order new tires and wheels and then get rid of that ugly (in my oppinion) Wheelie Bar < however you spell it... Do they make any after market rear bumpers for the stampede?
    The slash rear bumper with wheels attached has been working well for me and it's cheap too.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's