RC Champion

Stampede 4x4 Trail truck build.

As much luck with my Slash 4x4 MT build I thought I build another one. I really liked that the Slash 4x4 was a smaller lighter truck over my Summit and Maxx trucks.

Figured I would take it one step more and build a Stampede 4x4 Trail truck. So far I have got a NIB stampede 4x4 and ebay'd off what I don't need. I have sold off the tires, radio, motor, ESC, and battery. Trying to build this on a budget. I ahve plenty of radios batteries electronics, lying arround.

Requirements
    More of a slow speed trucks (10 mph top speed is fine)
    waterproof
    looks cool

I have ordered a set of Rover Rock Crawler tires on Torque wheels Probably pick up pro-line 2 stage crawler insets and discard the inner one as I am running a 2.2 tire on a 2.8 rim.

That is it so far.

What do you guys think about electronics? I want waterproof. I was thinking an XL-5 with a 21T emaxx or lathe motor. I do have a xl-5 on hand and a VXL system as well.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 06-14-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Could you not run the VXL ESC with a super high turn brushed motor (a VXL will run a brushed motor I believe)... like a 55t crawler motor? Or, could you wedge in a titan 775 or something BIG like that and run IT off a VXL or EVX2 ESC? Theyre waterproof.

Just a thought. What are you going to do for a body?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Ive been thinking of doingg this same thing. I was going to go with a sensorred Novak system though for the smooth power, as waterproof isn't really my cup of tea. I also thought about possibly locking the diffs for better "crawling" capibilities? Maybe even just thicker diff fluid so it was kinda locked diffs? IDK still working on that? Post pics when your done!
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Slash 2x4
    Stampede 4x4

I would start with the VXL and a 10t pinion in training mode. If that's still not slow enough http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m06-car-3650-2230.html would be. IMO a locker in the rear is the way to go for a good increase in get around. A revo diff locker could be made to fit. You would just have to dremel the shafts to fit , or dremel them down, as they have a larger outdrive http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-5381X-Sp...item43a7b71c18 I have put Revo outdrives in a Slash diff before, so this should work.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the ideas on power plant. If I do with a 21T titan or Lathe motor (thinking 35-45T) I will use an XL-5. I use the novak HV 6.5 motor (with 14mm tuning rotor) in my slash 4x4 MT (stock novak ESC lost reverse so its getting a Mamba Pro). It is superb for this application on 2S but not waterproof. I would really love a low KV (2000-3000 kv) waterproof sensored brushless motor.

For the diff I am going to break them in, then run 100k If that is too light I am going to add 500k. I don't want to spool it to keep a decent turning radius and be easier on the driveshafts.

For body I am considering a Pro-line H2 and probably some lights.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Racer
    I'm thinking of doing something similar. I have a Sidewinder SCT with the 3800 motor and it't too fast and cogs too much when trying to go slow. I think Jang used a Novak 4.5 sensored motor with a Castle Mamba Max so it goes nice and slow. I don't want to get a new ESC so I was considering a lower KV motor. I was wondering if something in the 1000kv range was going to be way too low. There's a nice 810 and 1000kv motor available and also up to about 1800kv, but in a bunch of posts on URC Jang said the 1800 cogged too much too. So, is the 1000 a good idea?

RC Enthusiast
    Did you see the Jang's trail truck on utimaterc ? He used the Novak 550 motor, but made it waterproof with the Overtray that looks like it fits like a glove. Heat shouldn't be an issue since it's geared so low.
    3905 Emaxx

RC Qualifier
    I spoke to Castle about this because I wanted a brushless motor in my SCX10. They said their ESC will not cog when geared properly and the right batteries are used. I put an SV2 and 1800kv Tacon in my SCX10, you may have seen my post in Jang's thread, and there was zero cogging. Now the SCX10 has a much more gear reduction than the Stampede 4x4. I think you will just have to try it, but 1000kv, geared 9/54, on at least a 30C 2S battery probably gives you the best chance. Now a brushed motor solves all cgging issues and is cheaper.

RC Competitor
    i'm following this, really want to see where this is going
    getting a stampede 4x4 next week and after seeing Jang's Chimera-B trial truck i'm thinking of doing something similar to my ST4x4 as i got some of the stuff already lying around here

a friend of mine has an MMP and he never has any cogging at all.
    and with the same motor/batteries but with his old esc (hobbywing 150a one) it was cogging a lot while on lower speeds, no matter what gearing, motor and batteries were used

Cool idea. I've seen a lot of Axial trail rigs, but haven't seen 'Pede yet.

I don't recommend those tires. I run those on my crawler, and they do very well on the rocks, but they tend to handle very poorly on trail trucks because of how soft they are (even the harder compound). I recommend going with M2Ks, Flatirons or even Trenchers.

You might want to look at locking your diffs. I've tried unlocking my diffs and it never has worked well (front, back or both). Just about all of the poeple I know that run trail rigs lock them up for better traction.

As far as an ESC goes, I don't recommend Traxxas ESCs. They great for waterproofing, but the double-clutch reverse gets in the way. Plus, a drag brake is very helpful on the trails. Recommend the Novak Rooster Crawler with a 30T motor, you have to play with the gear ration to get what you want out of it. It is pretty easy to waterproof. I have had my scare rig completely submurged with no waterproofing with no damage, but I thing I go very lucky, any time I take it out where it might get wet I put it in a balloon and seal it with some Shoe-Goo.

When you get it built put up a thread and let us see what you did and how well it is working for you!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    This is where I got the idea from. Basically the same thing but with a 'pede. The build has been on the back burner. I have been runnin those rovers on a stock truck though geared 9/54. Works great but 3s tends to make them come off the rim.

I do have a pro-line H2 SUT at my painters being done up like the revo-rocks truck. I haven't decided to option the truck out or leave it stock. I am going to go with a heavy diff fluid though. Probably 100k. I would still like the option to put back on the stock tires, 3s and run it as a yard basher as my slash 4x4 is now a racer. I think its going to end up with a MMP and 550 sensored motor but I do like the waterproof of the stock. Geared super low there is minimal cogging.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 11-24-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Racer
    I've got a 50c 2S pack and with my Sidewinder SCT as long as I have the start power turned up pretty high even the 3800 starts relatively smoothly now. it's still too fast though so I'm thinking I agree with Slaughter and need to just buy something. If I go with a 1025kv then I can start with the 9t pinion I'm running now and have room to gear up slightly for some more speed if that turns out too slow.

RC Racer
    I'm toying with this idea also. I want to run 2.2 wheels and tires.
    My question is; What parts do I need to change the front c's so the 2.2's to fit?
    Would it be possible to remove the c and mount the camber link directly on top of the steering hub?

Anybody got any pics yet?

Maybe call it a Wraith killer. LOL!!!
    It's adult proof, not child proof !

RC Qualifier
    NO help from me, but will be watching how you go about this as was thinking along the same lines. My problem, to new to whats going on now to figure out how to go about it. Would save a lot of money over buying a Summit.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Racer
    Well I put Junfac Wheel Widening kit on the front axles and Slash 2wd front hexes on the rear. The 2.2's have clearance.
    Spools are $10 each but Silly Putty is cheaper and will allow some flex.
    --------- Wraith ---- 4x4 Pede
    wheel base - 13.5" --- 11"
    width ----- 11.6" ---- 13.75" f & 13.25" r
    height ----- 9" ---- 9"
    clearance -- 3" ---- 3"

I may need to find a narrower f wheel widener.

Maybe make the stampede wheels narrower and cut the center of the 2.2 tires to fit the 2.8 wheels. This might bring the width in enough and eliminate the widening kit.

Put a rear shock tower on the front along with the rear shocks? More travel?
    Last edited by slopok; 04-14-2012 at 06:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Put a rear shock tower on the front along with the rear shocks? More travel?

You got any pic's?
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Racer
    I did this to my SSCLCG 4x4 Slash. I had to rework the bends on the swaybar. I'll shoot some pics.
    This is a link to the chassis;
    http://www.ssclcg.com/